As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Agents of [The Division] - Directive 51 remains in effect

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Via Erl's article:
    ...When it comes to Rogues in the DZ in 1.7, our data reveals that the balance is entirely off. 75 percent of player deaths in the DZ are exclusively PVP, and that is something we want to change.

uh... that doesn't surprise me.

Also (from their state of the game reddit entry), based off their analytics people... who have evidently been tracking this since the beginning:
    The Data has spoken
    • They have been monitoring the Dark Zone since launch, investigated the player actions and what was going on.
    • They also have a big analytic team and while there is a very vocal group of players, there is also a big silent part of the community and they are reflected in the data from the game and the surveys that have been sent out. (70% did not like the Dark Zone as it is)
    • Based on that data, they decided to introduce Rogue 2.0 - because in the end The Division is a live game and things need to evolve.

75% PVP Death Ratio
    • Players that die by Rogues / Players that die by normal Players are 75% of all deaths in the Dark Zone
    • Players that die by NPCs is just 25%
    • At the moment the Rogues have the advantage and that is also the reason why less players go into the Dark Zone and that is a huge part of the game
    • The Rogue 2.0 should bring a new balance to the Dark Zone – they want to lower the Rogue advantage, make the fight fairer and improve the experience. This should also bring the players back into the Dark Zone.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They just noticed now people had a bad time in the Dark Zone? That's odd since the playerbase noticed AT LAUNCH and thus left in droves.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2017
    They just noticed now people had a bad time in the Dark Zone? That's odd since the playerbase noticed AT LAUNCH and thus left in droves.

Yeah, I was one of those players. I mean, it's nice that the have the stats but literally anybody who has played the game could have told them that, and it's kinda disheartening that it's taken this long to acknowledge it.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It's something that's seesawed a few times before ending up where it is now. Every now and then they added in some PvE stuff that brought players back in and and could kill players before other players did but eventually players only in there for the pve bits would either lose interest, especially when something like rope cutting that only benefited pvpers was added, or get what they need and avoid the DZ.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    yeah, I don't know where they consider their community to be, but the sentiment that the DZ is a "PK gankfest" has been something that I've been reading nearly everywhere I frequent.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Update comes out tomorrow. Here are the patch notes.

Here's a chart regarding DZ deaths:

54N6eDX.png

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Yeah, I was one of those players. I mean, it's nice that the have the stats but literally anybody who has played the game could have told them that, and it's kinda disheartening that it's taken this long to acknowledge it.

That's because the some of the most influential and senior devs on the team were pretty much (and mostly self-admitted to be) 'PK gankers' themselves. They crafted the original Dark Zone as their 'ideal' PvP zone, ie one with no rules, and attempted to make the entire end-game game-loop about the Dark Zone.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

That's because the some of the most influential and senior devs on the team were pretty much (and mostly self-admitted to be) 'PK gankers' themselves. They crafted the original Dark Zone as their 'ideal' PvP zone, ie one with no rules, and attempted to make the entire end-game game-loop about the Dark Zone.

Not their exact words.... but:

"We noticed that people were tanking damage to survive long enough to get their items on the rope so we added an option to let people cut the rope to fix that."

never forget.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Neat little trailer for the new stuff

https://youtu.be/GJCJme9ILPs

I'm definitely coming back to have a looksee, stopped after the last global event thing. Might see about changing things up from D3, who knows.

I've not really had a horrible time in the DZ, but open world PvP (or let's be honest, PvP at all) isn't my bag at all, especially when 9/10 times it's a group of 4 dudes blaring Russian over a hot mic with a TV on in the background.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Aww...I was getting excited that they were going to add a CZ-3A1 as the new exotic SMG...but then I looked closer and it was just an MPX.

Still, though...aircraft carrier hype!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Yeah, okay, that explains just about everything.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    When is the Xbox One X patch? I know they said it was happening some weeks ago, I just never heard an actual date.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    From what I recall of the stream last week, they said it would be in a patch after 1.8 but didn't give a date.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Sadly, I've attempted twice over the course of the past two months to get my recovery information from Twitch support and haven't gotten past the automated response.

I don't want to make a new twitch account, and my gamertag is tied in with that account that I can't get into and I'm honestly at the point where it's like Twitch can kick rocks or whatever.

Would love to hook my Twitch prime thinger up too. IDK. I also think it's silly to tweet or facebook or instagram or whatever their public facing account to increase the odds of them actually responding, but idk.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Ooo! I like the sound of this in the patch notes:

"the agent needs to toggle their Rogue status before being able to do any damage to friendly agents."

That might actually get me to go back into the DZ (something I haven't done since they nerfed Banshee set).

EDIT - oh snap! I just noticed that the GS is no longer capped at 256. Let the gear grind begin again!

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Darkzone rope cutting is what killed the DZ for me. I didn't even know it could be done, hadn't read the notes. First time it happened I just noped the fuck out and didn't return.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Darkzone rope cutting is what killed the DZ for me. I didn't even know it could be done, hadn't read the notes. First time it happened I just noped the fuck out and didn't return.

Heh...I never extract stuff from the DZ. I just run around and kill NPCs for XP and DZ monies (which is why I really liked the 4-piece Banshee set).

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    You can just clear landmarks, contaminated sites and supply drops and never have to extract if you don't want to these days.

Though you still need to extract those sweet sealed caches.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wait you can cut the DZ rope now? Why would they allow that? Also, I guess I should get back into this considering I dropped too much money on this.......

• Options
    Wait you can cut the DZ rope now? Why would they allow that? Also, I guess I should get back into this considering I dropped too much money on this.......

Because there weren't enough ways to be a griefing asshole already?

On the one hand, it took 10 seconds to cut the rope and would instantly flag you rogue the moment you engaged the rope. But, on the other hand, people could just gear up to eat that kind of damage for 10 seconds and laugh at your futile efforts. So yeah...that just re-incentivized me to never try to solo extract anything (not even that swank scarf that would always drop >.< )

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I do truly love PvP, especially DayZ style stuff. I say this so you know my next statement comes from a place of love and not hate.

In these types of games you should not, in any way, incentivize PvP or to be more accurate killing players. You don't need to. The number of players who will still hunt other players (even if they were penalized for it) is just big enough to make places like the DZ exciting. You want tension in a place like the DZ not full on deathmatches. You should be making a place like the DZ very, very tempting to PvEers. You should reward teamwork. Cause I promise you, you do not need to do anything to encourage PKers. Hell you could literally design a system in which PKers lose XP/levels and there will still be PKers.

Now granted I know things have changed quite a bit of The Division and the DZ is (IMHO) pretty fine now. My statement is more a general piece of advice for games like this as opposed to a direct critique.

In other news, for those who don't have the DLC, all three will be free to play this weekend. The thingy I got said it ran from the 5-10, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. It is called a "free weekend" so I assume this weekend for sure.

It also said the Season Pass will be discounted too.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Guess it's time to reinstall since my interest in D2 fizzled out.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Guess it's time to reinstall since my interest in D2 fizzled out.

kinda in same boat

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    yeah, they didn't even include new achievements with their expansion. so it's like... okay?

Kind of regret vetoing my "let's not buy the season pass" decision come launch because I was able to buy it all at ~40% off via giftcard purchasing and black friday sales stacking.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the DZ during beta, an uneasy truce with players. Going Rogue still had a decent penalty if you get killed while rogue so you didn't see many folks tripping it. Wasnt it shortly after launch they changed the penalty and opened the game up for gank madness?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Hmm, at work so I cant check but with the changes to the DZ (having to manually engage going rogue) I wonder if that means rogues cant cut friendly agents ropes then?

edit - nvm, misunderstood the rogue changes, thought it was more of a pvp flag in mmos, can still gank other players but it wont be as easy to roll up and just start blasting someone.

Aretè on
  • Options
    Oh hey, the three DLCs are now unlocked for those who don't have em. Available to try through the weekend.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    West side piers is an awesome new addition. I must have spent 2-3 hours there yesterday rolling from one random encounter to the next.

Just when I thought I might head back to Camp Clinton another new encounter would pop up and that 'just one more' itch would kick in.

Decided I wanted to try out a 4-strikers 2-tact build last night but even though I have a stash with ~100 different gear pieces I literally only had 2 strikers and 1 tacticians pieces. I easily had 4 alphabridge backpacks alone before I cleaned out my stash...

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Hell yeah! Battlefront 2 sucks so this is perfect for me.

I always loved The Division but I never liked the DZ so I soured on the game quick.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    If anybody has gone into the new and improved DZ, is the wording in the patch notes correct? Can you only get ganked by rogues if you flag yourself as being rogue and otherwise cannot be touched by other players?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    If anybody has gone into the new and improved DZ, is the wording in the patch notes correct? Can you only get ganked by rogues if you flag yourself as being rogue and otherwise cannot be touched by other players?

Thats not quite it.

Rogues can only gank you if they flag themselves as rogue beforehand. So you can't be ganked by someone not marked as rogue.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Thats not quite it.

Rogues can only gank you if they flag themselves as rogue beforehand. So you can't be ganked by someone not marked as rogue.

Ahhh...good to know!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    this damn thread

brb reinstalling

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Thats not quite it.

What's the lead up on it becoming active?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

Thats not quite it.

Self-toggle

• Options

Thats not quite it.

Self-toggle

I meant timewise. Instant to a few seconds wont give me enough time to react.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Thats not quite it.

Self-toggle

I meant timewise. Instant to a few seconds wont give me enough time to react.

That's a good question. I imagine having somebody run up to you, stop, and just stand there for a couple seconds while rooting for the toggle might be a giveaway that something's up...but is that really going to be enough time to prevent the sudden and inevitable betrayal?

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Good question, honestly I don't even know where the toggle is.

I do know that if someone goes rogue in your group you are given the option to leave group or go rogue too.

edit- Okay found it. Shift-Z and it takes a second or two to activate (not unlike holding F to activate anything else). You also get a 60 second cool down on it and apparently if you don't attack anyone during that 60 seconds it just puts you back to normal.

Axen on
  • Options
    Aww man, I got Alex.

Again.

Move to New Zealand