Options

I'm playing Over[chat]

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Guys I want a Vive

...and a room to use it.

Thinking of cancelling my Oculus order for a vive, since it's gonna take forever to even get the oculus and horrible things keep coming to light, like the nightmare EULA and the always-on connection to facebook.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    OnTheLastCastle I have "Right Hand Man" literally stuck inside my brain

Ultimately, this is your fault

Expect consequences

https://play.spotify.com/track/5TlFDJhgm3blVo455b66Re

?

What the hell is spotify

Also I'm gonna go ahead and say no :p

Hamilton soundtrack!

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Guys I want a Vive

...and a room to use it.

Thinking of cancelling my Oculus order for a vive, since it's gonna take forever to even get the oculus and horrible things keep coming to light, like the nightmare EULA and the always-on connection to facebook.

Did you see Giant Bombs Vive show today?

Goddamn Job Simulator and The Lab just look so cool!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Guys I want a Vive

...and a room to use it.

I know that this first generation will matter a ton both in terms of just plain hardware capabilities and in terms of getting a brand burned into consumer minds, but facebook seems like it's really fucking up the latter, which can doom a product in a competitive, completely unknown market right off the bat

This is the new console wars motherfuckers, GIVE TO THEM NOTHING

TAKE FROM THEM EVERYTHING

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Tailon has a weird derp face and a weak chin

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Eddy wrote: »
    Guys I want a Vive

...and a room to use it.

I know that this first generation will matter a ton both in terms of just plain hardware capabilities and in terms of getting a brand burned into consumer minds, but facebook seems like it's really fucking up the latter, which can doom a product in a competitive, completely unknown market right off the bat

Yeah, unfavorable privacy terms in the mass market is fine. People don't, as a rule, care at all. But nerds like me who buy dumb shit make up basically the whole VR market at the moment and we get p salty about it. It's crazy too. All facebook had to do was nothing! Just do literally nothing, supply a little money, cultivate, and harvest later. But they got thirsty.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Mmmm ya baby there we go got som Poe Dameron yaa

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

~Bites lip provocatively~

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I didn't realize how many VR products there are out there

I wonder if it'll winnow out to 2(.5) like classic console wars or turn into a phone ecosystem

actually where's apple's VR

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

pffft asshole all leaving other protagonists to die
    ain't no hero to me

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Apple is sitting out the whole VR thing. They don't make dorky headsets. They're (allegedly) entering the AR space though.

• Options

I wonder if it'll winnow out to 2(.5) like classic console wars or turn into a phone ecosystem

All the energy that could be going into VR at Apple is being directed at gimmicky shit like the watch. Probably.

• Options
    Apple is sitting out the whole VR thing. They don't make dorky headsets. They're (allegedly) entering the AR space though.

Classic apple gameplan

They're gonna saunter in a year or so from now with like, holograms and shit and then they'll just walk straight over to the US Mint

• Options
    Ugh the Vive is $1200 CDN goddamn and I need a new processor Im just under the minimum

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Guys I want a Vive

...and a room to use it.

Yeah, unfavorable privacy terms in the mass market is fine. People don't, as a rule, care at all. But nerds like me who buy dumb shit make up basically the whole VR market at the moment and we get p salty about it. It's crazy too. All facebook had to do was nothing! Just do literally nothing, supply a little money, cultivate, and harvest later. But they got thirsty.

The Oculus TOS aren't much different than Steam's other then Steam saying you can rescind their use of your stuff if you can prove they violated theagreement, but both TOS lay claim to all things uploaded.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

All the energy that could be going into VR at Apple is being directed at gimmicky shit like the watch. Probably.

nah apple will jump in at about 2nd or 3rd generation and implement some bit of it in a novel way and claim they invented that shit all along

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I would see it going the phone route: how platform specific do VR games actually have to be?

• Options
    Alt answer: they're waiting for everyone else to finish theirs so they can steal the tech, slap on some white plastic and rounded corners, and market it to the Cult of the Turtleneck.

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

I would see it going the phone route: how platform specific do VR games actually have to be?

the system requirements for vr are very, very high from what I recall

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I am going to make a gimmick vr game thing called

Gnome Man's Guy

Or possible Gnome Man's Sky

Do not steal

• Options

In terms of your PC, yes, I mean in terms of how much difficulty is there in programming a game to work with both the Vive and the Rift? I was under the assumption it's more like different monitors than it is like different game consoles.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am going to make a gimmick vr game thing called

Gnome Man's Guy

Or possible Gnome Man's Sky

Do not steal

Drag Enrage

• Options
    Alt answer: they're waiting for everyone else to finish theirs so they can steal the tech, slap on some white plastic and rounded corners, and market it to the Cult of the Turtleneck.

White plastic and rounded corners? What is this, 2006?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    sigh

it's either vr

or a 4k monitor

i don't think I can do both unless I spread them way out

VR is immersion

4k is just another screen

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options

White plastic and rounded corners? What is this, 2006?

That's it I'm calling your boss you're going back to China.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Also nerds will be real mad about Apple VR and call it stupid and pointless and say it contributes in no way to the advancement of technology.

Two years later every headset of the market is a clone of Apple's.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    sigh

it's either vr

or a 4k monitor

VR is immersion

To be fair, 4k is legit as fuck if you're actually using it for, like, work.

For gaming though, get VR yeah.

• Options

In terms of your PC, yes, I mean in terms of how much difficulty is there in programming a game to work with both the Vive and the Rift? I was under the assumption it's more like different monitors than it is like different game consoles.

No, the Vive uses the Steam VR SDK and the Rift uses Oculus' SDK. So it's like the bad old days when a developer would support Sound Blaster and Roland individually. Not all supported both.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

No, the Vive uses the Steam VR SDK and the Rift uses Oculus' SDK. So it's like the bad old days when a developer would support Sound Blaster and Roland individually. Not all supported both.

There are already middleware things that target both though, so they can't be all that different.

• Options

that I don't know. Some of the games I am seeing work for either and some say they're programmed specifically for Vive, but I am not sure that means they're not going to work for Oculus.

• Options

I wish TheSonicRetard was still here hes working with both (Im think) so he would have good insight here.

• Options

There are already middleware things that target both though, so they can't be all that different.

Valve built a wrapper in Steam VR for the Rift SDK, but it only works one way and right now the Rift has no motion controls, so support will be spotty.

• Options
    sigh

it's either vr

or a 4k monitor

VR is immersion

that's nice, but am I going to be watching youtube in VR or playing my other non-vr games that I have right now in vr? I somehow get the feeling that I won't, but I don't know for sure. These new vr specific games will be poop from a butt for a while.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

you called

• Options
    Can you just display 2d stuff in a ver headset so it is just all you are seeing?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @ronya I finished reading that essay.

Yasmin Nair mad.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    sigh

it's either vr

or a 4k monitor

VR is immersion

that's nice, but am I going to be watching youtube in VR or playing my other non-vr games that I have right now in vr? I somehow get the feeling that I won't, but I don't know for sure. These new vr specific games will be poop from a butt for a while.

Equally, even the best cards struggle to run games acceptably at 4K and Windows is shitbutt at DPI scaling, so it's nonstop headaches running everyday apps.

I have a 4K monitor at work and I totally gave up and just told windows it's a 1080p monitor and look at everything just a little blurry.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    sigh

it's either vr

or a 4k monitor

VR is immersion

You can through vr movie players or virtual desktop, but you're probably better off with a 4k tv in that case.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Can you just display 2d stuff in a ver headset so it is just all you are seeing?

I think you can project a 3d desktop, but that'll just be at 2k resolution.

siiigh

• Options
    I will say that 4k gaming is just a bit too far for current gen video cards.

This discussion has been closed.