Options

Dark Souls 3 has some deep lore

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If you're new to Dark Souls, I recommend you just watch all of Vaati's videos:

Here's the start of the DaS1 play list:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJeUG1m6eI&list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5RCXboUsPwHsZJlXB2CzCz
    And here's DaS2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQAaf7ExnyU&list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5SCqzfFpcy82pfliyAu2kl

That should get you enough information to know what the hell the undead are, the dark sign, the first flame, why the lord's of cinder matter, etc.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Anybody looking to catch up on Dark Souls 1 and 2 lore before launch, go to this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4dngkj/offical_how_to_get_caught_up_on_all_dark_souls/

It's quite comprehensive.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Good god
    Aldrich, Devourer of gods has a grotesque design like looking at it makes me edgy

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    As someone who is going to buy this but has not played any Souls game besides Bloodborne, is there any classes that I should maybe avoid? I'm really liking the idea of dual wielding scimitar mercenary up there, but Thief could be a very different playthrough.

If you're new to souls games, then avoid Deprived.

Deprived isn't bad. It's actually a pretty good class if you plan on respeccing to try out wildly different builds at some point in the future. However the early game will be noticeably harder if you pick deprived.

Beyond that, your starting class really won't matter much at all once you've killed a few bosses and leveled up a few times.

It bears repeating that this is NOT a decision that will have severe repercussions at a later point in the game. You will NEVER look back and say "aww man. I can't do ________ now because I started as __________. This whole playthrough is ruined now." It is basically the exact opposite of that.

You've probably already thought too hard about it. Pick what looks cool and roll with it from there.

In regards to multiple builds:
    5 Rerolls per character

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    As someone who is going to buy this but has not played any Souls game besides Bloodborne, is there any classes that I should maybe avoid? I'm really liking the idea of dual wielding scimitar mercenary up there, but Thief could be a very different playthrough.

Deprived isn't bad. It's actually a pretty good class if you plan on respeccing to try out wildly different builds at some point in the future. However the early game will be noticeably harder if you pick deprived.

Beyond that, your starting class really won't matter much at all once you've killed a few bosses and leveled up a few times.

It bears repeating that this is NOT a decision that will have severe repercussions at a later point in the game. You will NEVER look back and say "aww man. I can't do ________ now because I started as __________. This whole playthrough is ruined now." It is basically the exact opposite of that.

You've probably already thought too hard about it. Pick what looks cool and roll with it from there.

5 Rerolls per character
    Aww, it's limited? Is it absolutely 5 per character, or can you get more rerolls through NG+?

• Options
    Deans wrote: »

5 Rerolls per character
    Aww, it's limited? Is it absolutely 5 per character, or can you get more rerolls through NG+?

No clue. Got my fix in with Japanese version, and stopped after first 1/3 of the game. I would suspect it resets, but that would be a shit reason to push to NG+.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

5 Rerolls per character

No clue. Got my fix in with Japanese version, and stopped after first 1/3 of the game. I would suspect it resets, but that would be a shit reason to push to NG+.

If you have a specific build in mind that should be plenty.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    And the levels are the same regardless, i.e. starting at level 1 vs. level 8 the level 8 gets an additional 7 points distributed.

But yeah, 10 faith and int is more than my dex character has needed. At least there are a lot of weapons that require 10-12 in one of those categories to use.

15(18?) faith is always a good investment for homeward. Just for the fact I never have to remember to buy more homeward bones.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'll probably give Herald a shot since the starting armor looks sweet and it's always good to have a little extra healing. Even if I don't put any more points in Faith that investment seems worthwhile.

• Options
    Respecs are actually not limited forever. They start limited, but it opens up later.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    And the levels are the same regardless, i.e. starting at level 1 vs. level 8 the level 8 gets an additional 7 points distributed.

But yeah, 10 faith and int is more than my dex character has needed. At least there are a lot of weapons that require 10-12 in one of those categories to use.

15(18?) faith is always a good investment for homeward. Just for the fact I never have to remember to buy more homeward bones.

I always just forget they exist...

I think I've only used 1 or 2 ever in these games.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »

I promise you won't need them.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Respecs are actually not limited forever. They start limited, but it opens up later.

are you... sure...? the game is VERY specifically worded. like very very very much.

i'm not saying you're wrong but... the game says you have this many times left after each one.....

• Options
    edited April 2016

are you... sure...? the game is VERY specifically worded. like very very very much.

i'm not saying you're wrong but... the game says you have this many times left after each one.....

I'm sure :) I don't want to say much more, it's spoilery, but I'm, lets say, 90% sure. (I don't like to ascribe 0% or 100% chances to anything :D)

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Please put the real answer in spoilers

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

I don't think that "lifetime" refers to you, the player.

• Options
    It's actually not that spoilery thinking about it: It's 5 per NG cycle. Which is actually plenty, unless you just keep screwing up your build.

• Options
    I dunno, it's still a far cry from the options in Dark Souls 2. I mean it's got infinitely more utility than Dark Souls 1, but knowing you aren't locked into a build at all is always nice.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    There has to be some incentive to play through the game additional times and keep multiplayer active, I'm fine with this.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There are better items in NG+.

• Options
    Even in Dark Souls 2 there were limited Soul Vessels at first. And really, five respecs is a lot. When was the last time you used 5 Soul Vessels in DaS2 in one NG cycle?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    OMG this game is so much fun.

Persona 5 is going to have to work hard to top this for my GOTY.

• Options
    Kind of have my finger's crossed that Bamco turns the MP servers on over the weekend to uhhh, "warm them up" or something. Not betting on it, just hoping :D

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Even in Dark Souls 2 there were limited Soul Vessels at first. And really, five respecs is a lot. When was the last time you used 5 Soul Vessels in DaS2 in one NG cycle?

My main went through at least six. I couldn't decide on a build. From Hex to Dex to Pyro to Powerstance Rust Swords to Heavy Armour BKUGS to Heavy Armour Crypt Blacksword. Once I hit 200 I'll try another Pyro build.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    You're almost 200, and not in NG+? Assuming you are in NG+, in DaS3 you would have had access to 10 respecs at that point.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

How do I count advancing that one giant memory to NG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ to get more soul vessels and bonfire asetics?

At that point you just fight naked. Armor won't save you.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Not in NG+ just yet. Got some DLC to finish off.

I've been doing A Lot of Jolly Co-Op. Usually in the Old Chaos.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options

How do I count advancing that one giant memory to NG++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ to get more soul vessels and bonfire asetics?

At that point you just fight naked. Armor won't save you.

Yeah, this was the one way to get as many respecs as you wanted...of course, like you said, at that point, that Memory was uhh, tough? Sure, that's a word, tough.

• Options
    Finally figured out the trick to an enemy in the Profaned Capital...
    The hand face guys, that like to eat you and do like 3/4ths of your heath if lands...their stomach, and the mouth, the bloated sores, when you hit them, it does like a thousand a hit. So just dodge around until they do the big eat you attack, then get to their side and attack, they'll try and roll over like a dog, when they do, hit the stomach like twice and they die.

• Options
    Anyone have any tips for a mid-ish game boss, has two swords...
    Pontiff Sulvayghn. I just cannot figure out a strategy for this guys second phase. Him and the ghost are so aggressive, and attack so fast, I just can't find ways to get attacks in without just getting creamed. Clearly I need to kill the ghost...but geez.

• Options
    I told myself I was going to wait, but I'm just going to get this day one, aren't I?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I told myself I was going to wait, but I'm just going to get this day one, aren't I?

Just give in.

I spent $70 to play it three weeks early and $80 so I can play it on my PC (and get the soundtrack).

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I spent $43 to play it Monday.

<_<

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I'm actually a little worried I won't like the combat in DS3 because of Bloodborne. I got so used to the speed of it that going from Bb to SotFS felt really weird and I just got bored with the pace of Scholar.

The weapon arts look like they add an interesting combat element though, so hopefully that's enough.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I have to get through DS2 first before I even think about 3. And I'll most likely wait even longer for whatever complete version they eventually release.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I'm actually a little worried I won't like the combat in DS3 because of Bloodborne. I got so used to the speed of it that going from Bb to SotFS felt really weird and I just got bored with the pace of Scholar.

The weapon arts look like they add an interesting combat element though, so hopefully that's enough.

This is faster than SoTFS, closer to Bloodborne in the speed of combat. It's still Dark Souls, you can still plod along...but the enemies are much quicker, and can be more aggressive, like BB enemies.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

This is faster than SoTFS, closer to Bloodborne in the speed of combat. It's still Dark Souls, you can still plod along...but the enemies are much quicker, and can be more aggressive, like BB enemies.

Are there as many annoying groups of enemies that rush you all at once as in SotFS?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I wouldn't say many, but that's a few ambushes like that.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    ... what the hell is going on with russel up there.

Edit: Spoiled edit regarding the new Japanese patch
    Looks like the Fume Ultra Greatsword got nerfed, maybe people will use something else now!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Are there as many annoying groups of enemies that rush you all at once as in SotFS?

Like casually said, not really. There are some ambush groups, but Bloodborne is really built around how fast you can dodge in that game (dodge in BB uses about half the stamina of a roll in DaS3).