As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't find the right living room furniture.

ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
Okay, this one's pretty prosaic compared to the usual life-altering stuff, but here's the thing.

I've got a new house, and in this cool new house we've got a mount on the wall for our main TV, above the fireplace. The builders ran HDMI cables through the walls, down from where the TV mounts to a plate helpfully off to the side. That way, you can put all your boxes and stuff over there out of the way, and the place where the TV mounts and the mantle below are nice and clean-looking, etc.

I can't find a good cabinet to put over by the wall plate, so that I can put the cable box, PS3, etc., in something rather than just laying them on the floor (or, as they are now, the coffee table that's preventing my 8-month-old from crawling over and pulling all the CDs out of their shelves for fun).

Someone her must have a similar set-up; what do you recommend?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You're not going to like the answer, but that's why you don't mount screens over your fireplace when you have units that need to hook up to it. That, or you fix them in a cabinet in the room behind (obviously not always possible). It's also at a very, very high height compared to the "proper" viewing height a mounted TV should be (centre of the screen at eye level while seated at viewing distance).

But if you're set, the best you'll probably get is a standard entertainment unit that isn't too deep. That way it doesn't look as bad on its own against the wall, off to the side. We use a BESTA unit from IKEA in our living room:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S69062929/#/S29062530

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    You typically see stuff like buffet tables or display cabinets or bookshelves. The key point is that since you've mounted your TV elsewhere, the cabinet for your game consoles/cable box/etc can now be waist height or taller, for more storage and display space.
    161506950_1.jpg340202050_1.jpgAZ0444800_00?hei=346W20120200_00?hei=346
    If you can't tell from the above, most of my furniture comes from Bernie & Phyl's or Jordan's, two Massachusetts area furniture chains.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Floating shelves to the side.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/01/4d/49014d6c029145d7e0f334c67ff47299.jpg

I've also been "chastised" for the tv over the fireplace, but it works and you use the space you have.

The trick with that setup is they ran the wires behind the drywall.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/01/4d/49014d6c029145d7e0f334c67ff47299.jpg

I've also been "chastised" for the tv over the fireplace, but it works and you use the space you have.

When I had my second apartment I wish I'd done this. I ended up with a monstrosity from Ikea and a wall mount, but floating shelves would have been the ticket.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

That's rather clever ... Thanks for the suggestion!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I have the same setup with the TV over the fireplace, where do you get those specific shelves from? I've been having problems finding floating shelves that deep.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Just make sure those shelves are high enough that your kid doesn't see it as something to hang from.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

We have some similar sort of unit from Ikea -- one nice thing is that one of the doors has a glass front, which means that the stuff inside there is still remote-control-able, but doesn't collect lots of dust. (and if you have a kid at crawling age, it'll keep their fingers out a while longer, too). This one, roughly speaking: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S19140171/#/S19140171

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I have the same setup with the TV over the fireplace, where do you get those specific shelves from? I've been having problems finding floating shelves that deep.

Floating shelves usually aren't that deep because hitting the far edge can create a lot of torque and rip them out of the wall.

I seen a pie safe size cabinet (easiest description of the size) used to store all the electronics. It had glass windows instead of the metal.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Kipling wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

Floating shelves usually aren't that deep because hitting the far edge can create a lot of torque and rip them out of the wall.

I seen a pie safe size cabinet (easiest description of the size) used to store all the electronics. It had glass windows instead of the metal.

I figured out how I could make shelves like those in the picture (and I really really like the ones in the picture), but it would involve getting brackets like these. Those are attached to the side of the stud, within the drywall.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    That is pricey and pretty damn permanent. You're at $80 just for two brackets, allowing for a 16" shelf? Think that over a bit.

• Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    That is pricey and pretty damn permanent. You're at $80 just for two brackets, allowing for a 16" shelf? Think that over a bit.

It's more like $64 for the length I would need, and that's about what ready-made floating shelves go for that are a lot more shallow.

Permanent, yeah, but I like permanent.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm in the middle of putting a more permanent tv mount up exactly as we were discussing, trying to do that floating shelf thing. My biggest challenge right now is figuring out to run my cables in the wall in such a way that I could replace them if, say, HDMI is replaced by HDMI2 (or whatever).

What is this I don't even.