Options

[FFRK] FF7 Golden Saucer Dating Sim continues. New DU tomorrow night.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    With full mitigation up, the Counter Poison Breath doesn't seem that powerful. I may just say the hell with it and bring along people like FuSoYa or Beatrix to make mincemeat out of the Mirror phase with Meteors and Saint's Cross/Seiken Stock Break. Well, maybe not FuSoYa, but Beatrix's RM2 should come up while the event's still active, so she's going on the team.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    chrisnl wrote: »
    FYI killing the arms does NOT push Demon Wall into Phase 3. Which is good, because you'll probably kill them with one cast of Crushing Blow + one cast of Hallowed Bolt.

Really? What does then? Kongbakpao says it's the arms dying.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    FYI killing the arms does NOT push Demon Wall into Phase 3. Which is good, because you'll probably kill them with one cast of Crushing Blow + one cast of Hallowed Bolt.

Really? What does then? Kongpao says it's the arms dying.

It goes into phase 3 after the fourth red cone phase.

So you pretty much have to kill it before the fourth red cone phase ends. Otherwise it'll do a bunch of AoE damage (and a lot more if the arms are still up), and then it'll start doing 9999 damage single-target attacks.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    KBP has had misinformation in several of their guides recently. I prefer looking at datamined AI scripts on reddit, though the drawback there is that they aren't available immediately after a dungeon opens (someone has to run it and pull the data, first). At least the KBP guides are available well in advance.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah the only thing that pushes him into phase 3 is finishing the fourth cone of doom. I saw a streamer kill the arms with literally his second action in phase 2 and it didn't hurt him, other than not giving people outside the cone of doom a way to build SB bars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Okay, done both and mastered.

And yeah, now that I tried it, I have a better understanding of how the mechanic works and KBP is totally wrong on that front. You get four cones. It moves to the next cone either when someone outside the cone attacks the body, or after N turns. The arms were total nonentities in the fight.

Recap for Ultima:
    Brought Terra for the last slot. Nobody over level 68 but Tyro and Lightning. Silly mages. Lightning's CB damage was disappointing, but still ~350 per hit, so 3500*5. Nothing to sneeze at, and her spellblading it was still in the 600 range, so respectable damage from that too. Tyro still out damaged her with SLG though at about 5200*4. Everything went smoothly, although it seemed to charge up a lot faster than in the videos I've seen. I think I just barely got things off under the wire. Exdeath amusingly absorbed a counter:death when Lightning smacked it after the wisp spawned. Just used comet because I didn't want Grand Cross to accidentally kill the wisp by doing a bunch of the bonus damage to it, but that was a needless fear. Battle ended and it still had around 20% of its life left I'd guess.

Recap for Wall:
    Ended up using Edgar because I didn't feel like egging Basch and he hasn't learned his SB anyway, so I'd have had to give him the shield instead of letting Agrias abuse it. Didn't matter. Edgar did nothing basically the entire fight besides RW, plink at the arms, and smack Lightning once to wake her up.

A couple S/Ls because it focus fired on Zack at the start, and then a double Nightmare Gravity disaster from an unlucky sequence of queued attacks during a switch. That was fun. Otherwise, no problems. Damage was eminently manageable and it's not immune to Stun, so Zack hammering it with Dismissal gave me a little breathing room at the start, but Lightning had Mako and CBed it for more than enough to spawn the arms before it did anything bad. On the winning run, it was especially nice and put Lightning to sleep just before it moved the cone off her while leaving it on Zack nearly the whole time and letting him keep stunning it with Dismissals and Air Strikes to make up for Tyro's non-damage while the focus was on the bottom. Of course, when it moved the cone the second time, it was right before another Air Strike which got Agrias, Edgar, and Lightning Nightmare Gravitied for around 15,000 total damage and a couple damage taken medals no doubt, but there was also a Hallowed Bolt and Crushing Blow incoming which finished things right off.

Now I need to start making Diagas. So many Diagas.

E:
    Then again, I have two powerful medicas, and a runic on a 5* WM, so I very well may be able to totally cheese the WM Nightmare entirely.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    Does MND affect Boostga duration? Does this mean that RW Planet Protector + native high-MND Hastega (with Dr. Mog) might be situationally better than RW Shout? I've got Divine Guardian and SSII and tend to bring both Garnet and Y'shtola when I need both shellga and protectga. Comments?

• Options
    MND will affect the duration of Haste, Protect and Shell (and other named buffs), but has no effect on things that give +% to a statistic (like SG/SS2, HotE, the attack portion of Shout, Planet Protector).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Daffydd wrote: »
    Does MND affect Boostga duration? Does this mean that RW Planet Protector + native high-MND Hastega (with Dr. Mog) might be situationally better than RW Shout? I've got Divine Guardian and SSII and tend to bring both Garnet and Y'shtola when I need both shellga and protectga. Comments?

Boostga is always 25s. You'd be better off trying to find someone (like me! putting Edward's harp to use: fEoM) with a 200+ mnd Shout RW since then you get 25s Boostga + 25s Hastega.

Generally, I'd rather bring a Knight with the other of shellga/protectga especially if you're planning on bringing a Boostga, since 2 WHM or a SUM is another character who can't benefit from the extra attack.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    RW Shout is strictly superior to RW Planet Protector.

If you're doing a fight where you need Protectga and Shellga, and summons are relevant, and you have the appropriate hones, you could do Garnet with a summon and one defense and Yshtola with a heal and the other defense. Otherwise, I'd probably leave Garnet on the bench most of the time, and give the second defense ability to Beatrix/Agrias/Tyro.

Alternatively, you could decide that the RES boost and Major regen from Divine Guardian is close enough to Shellga, and just run her with two Summons and Dr. Mog's/Mako Might. You lose out on the huge increase in damage from a +MAG or doublecast RM this way though, so I wouldn't be that excited about it.

Fry on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So are we getting the bonus dungeons tonight when there's time to actually focus on them, or are they coming with orbfest?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I was just about to ask about bonus dungeons too. I've just been clearing a few story elite dungeons today with my spare stamina.

Yesterday I managed to hone Thief's Revenge up to R2. I also honed Doppleblade to R2 because I had the orbs for it, and why not, right? Ninjas are cool, man.

• Options
    As a follow-up thought:

I've got five 5-star abilities at R2 now:
    -Full Break
    -Meteor
    -Saint Cross
    -Thief's Revenge
    -Doppleblade

Of that list, since Locke is my main DPS, and Agrias being my second, I should probably start saving up for R3 Saint Cross or Thief's Revenge, right?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    As a follow-up thought:

-Full Break
    -Meteor
    -Saint Cross
    -Thief's Revenge
    -Doppleblade

Of that list, since Locke is my main DPS, and Agrias being my second, I should probably start saving up for R3 Saint Cross or Thief's Revenge, right?

IDK, I've got the orbs for R3 Saint Cross or R3 Thief's Revenge, but most of the characters that could get good use out of the abilities on my team already have powerful SBs they could be using. I think you're in a similar situation.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    So are we getting the bonus dungeons tonight when there's time to actually focus on them, or are they coming with orbfest?

I plan on using them to get Basch up to an acceptable level to take into the Ultimates. We'll have multiple days afterward to finish them regardless.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    As a follow-up thought:

-Full Break
    -Meteor
    -Saint Cross
    -Thief's Revenge
    -Doppleblade

IDK, I've got the orbs for R3 Saint Cross or R3 Thief's Revenge, but most of the characters that could get good use out of the abilities on my team already have powerful SBs they could be using. I think you're in a similar situation.

Yeah, I've got Valiant Strike on Locke, which is why he's my star player. And I've got Cleansing Strike on Agrias, which is why she's my 2nd best. Plus her kit is just amazing. (And of course I've got Shout).

So I'm not hurting for physical damage. I always keep a life siphon on Locke, and I usually run Ace Striker on him, so it's easy to get enough meter for Valiant Strike.

But Thief's Revenge is pretty crazy good dps on it's own, and add to that the self-heal component and you've got quite a nice little skill there. I haven't been using it at all at R1, but now that it's at R2, I feel like I would probably get good use out of those 4 casts.

I dunno. It's hard to say where to best use future orbs. Getting Thief's Revenge and Doppleblade both to R2 basically cleaned out my stock. For all intents and purposes, I'm at 0 orbs now (at least on orbs that matter).

• Options
    We should get the Ultimate and Ultimate+ tonight at 9 pm EDT, yes. I've been using my stamina to catch up on realm story dungeons (just hit 117 total stamina, so I have a long way to go yet) and get more mythril for the Basch 1 banner, because I'm dumb and really want pretty much any of the items on it (except maybe Penelo's Staff). You would think I would take the hint after dropping 150 mythril and 100 gems on it and getting one off-banner generic 5* for my trouble, but nope. The perils of being a fan of Balthier, Fran and Basch I suppose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, beat Nightmare Demon Wall. Lightning/Agrias/Tyro as healer/DK Cecil/Ramza as shoutbot.

Was fairly easy, R1 Saint Cross was nice to push through Phase 1 quickly to avoid the Gravija, and then Demon Wall took a trip to 4x Crushing Blow/Hallowed Bolt town. Bosses can check in, but they can't check out.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I was thinking of using Snow with Banishing Strike and Saint Cross with Agrias' RM+ (1.3x damage from Knight skills) equipped, but I'm wondering if that would be overkill and everything would just hit straight 9s even without the RM.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was thinking of using Snow with Banishing Strike and Saint Cross with Agrias' RM+ (1.3x damage from Knight skills) equipped, but I'm wondering if that would be overkill and everything would just hit straight 9s even without the RM.

It definitely gains defense as the fight goes on, so using it is probably fine. My Agrias with Basch's shield was hitting for 9999x2 with Saint Cross at the start (Ace Striker RM), but only about 7000x2 once the arms came up. Similarly, Zack was capping with Dismissal at the start, but I want to say doing more like 6,000 later.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

It definitely gains defense as the fight goes on, so using it is probably fine. My Agrias with Basch's shield was hitting for 9999x2 with Saint Cross at the start (Ace Striker RM), but only about 7000x2 once the arms came up. Similarly, Zack was capping with Dismissal at the start, but I want to say doing more like 6,000 later.

I just looked it up on the AI and stats post on Reddit, and Demon Wall's defense is 412 in phase 1, and jumps to 883 in phase 2, then down to 589 in phase 3. Ideally you won't see phase 3, but you should be able to hit him plenty hard if you do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Boostga is always 25s. You'd be better off trying to find someone (like me! putting Edward's harp to use: fEoM) with a 200+ mnd Shout RW since then you get 25s Boostga + 25s Hastega.

Generally, I'd rather bring a Knight with the other of shellga/protectga especially if you're planning on bringing a Boostga, since 2 WHM or a SUM is another character who can't benefit from the extra attack.

Follow up question: Is duration impacted by battle speed? Am I getting less usage out of my Retaliate / Boost by playing at speed 5 compared to someone playing at speed 1?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Follow up question: Is duration impacted by battle speed? Am I getting less usage out of my Retaliate / Boost by playing at speed 5 compared to someone playing at speed 1?

Yes, but not for the reason you may think. The higher the speed the more time you are losing during the actual selection of your ability as your bar is essentially capped out while you press the ability button (Even worse if there are multiple SBs to choose from which causes two button presses before the bar goes on cooldown again). At the higher speeds you can actually end up losing an entire turn or so over the course of the fight compared to your AI opponent who will always execute their abilities flawlessly with no waste.

For this reason on any fight that requires any sort of timing management I always run it at speed 1, or at the very worst, speed 2.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Do be aware that you can remove soul breaks from the list prior to entering battle, so if you're not going to use Agrias' stock soul break and you have her shield SB or sword SSB, you can cull the list to just the one you actually want to use. It saves a button press and might even save you from using the wrong break by accident.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    There is also like a half second delay while the buttons animate in, so even if you've got MLG reactions you're going to lose a reasonable amount of time at speeds above 3. I like 2 for a general balance, but I'll move it down to 1 if things get finicky.

That said, all buff timers are denoted in speed 3 time, but yea they do scale with the speed.

edit: another good trick with managing SBs is to put the most commonly used one all the way to the right on the SB screen, that way you can just double tap the SB selector and have it come out. I have Shout and Cleansing Strike all the way to the right so they're very fast, but if I want Tailwind or Hallowed Bolt they're still available.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Do be aware that you can remove soul breaks from the list prior to entering battle, so if you're not going to use Agrias' stock soul break and you have her shield SB or sword SSB, you can cull the list to just the one you actually want to use. It saves a button press and might even save you from using the wrong break by accident.

If only there was a way top lock those so Optimize didn't automatically shove every useless thing back in.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    There is also like a half second delay while the buttons animate in, so even if you've got MLG reactions you're going to lose a reasonable amount of time at speeds above 3. I like 2 for a general balance, but I'll move it down to 1 if things get finicky.

That said, all buff timers are denoted in speed 3 time, but yea they do scale with the speed.

edit: another good trick with managing SBs is to put the most commonly used one all the way to the right on the SB screen, that way you can just double tap the SB selector and have it come out. I have Shout and Cleansing Strike all the way to the right so they're very fast, but if I want Tailwind or Hallowed Bolt they're still available.

I use speed 2 for boss fights where I can't just autobattle but I'm still not in significant danger.

I use speed 1 for anything at difficulty 99 or higher

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Vincent ends in 2 hours
    Orbfest runs Friday-Sunday
    Nightmare closes on Tuesday
    Basch closes on Thursday

I think I'm going to try to squeeze out one more stamina upgrade and get back to 4/5 shards tonight/tomorrow, grind Orbfest over the weekend, then do Nightmare on Monday and Basch on Tuesday.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Did the first two parts of the Ultima Nightmare.

Looked up the other fights.

Yeah, I really don't care enough to deal with that shit right now.

My strongest Nightmares are probably gonna be Celerity, Spellblade, Samurai, Knight, Bard, Machinist and Dancer.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    This week's Green's shop: I got the Summon orb because they aren't easily farmable, and I still need more to get Maduin and Alexander (and maybe Ultros) up. Fire is pretty generally useless, easy skip. Think I'm also going to skip the Ice: usually Ice orbs are coupled with Power orbs for 5* abilities, but the Power orb is the main requirement and I'm way more restricted on Power Orbs, so I'm probably not actually going to craft or hone any of those abilities. Even Chain Blizzaga way down the line only has Ice as a secondary requirement, so I'll probably accumulate enough naturally by the time we get there.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

My strongest Nightmares are probably gonna be Celerity, Spellblade, Samurai, Knight, Bard, Machinist and Dancer.

Not everything is going to get one. Japan's at 8/12, and both Black Mage and White Mage have already had two each.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    A Dancer Nightmare Dungeon would be the saddest thing ever. Tyro, Mog, Penelo, and Cait Sith would be only ones to get the synergy. Bard would be equally sad, with Tyro, Edward, Kefka and Cait Sith.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Dancer Nightmare Dungeon would be the saddest thing ever. Tyro, Mog, Penelo, and Cait Sith would be only ones to get the synergy. Bard would be equally sad, with Tyro, Edward, Kefka and Cait Sith.

They're overdue for introducing Gogo anyway, although I imagine he'll be something silly like 3* in everything to not overshadow Tyro.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Not everything is going to get one. Japan's at 8/12, and both Black Mage and White Mage have already had two each.

Oh

That's dumb

That just means we need more people buffed to 5* Dancer.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Oh

That's dumb

That just means we need more people buffed to 5* Dancer.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Rikku gets bumped up to 5* Dancer with the next FFX-2 event.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hooray!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    100 gem got me a light armor with shared shell SB. I guess that's the reward for pulling nothing but 3 stars my last 20some items.

Honestly I'll take any XII synergy I can get right now though

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Did an 11 pull on Basch banner, because the shield would be nice to make my holy users do comparable damage to the SSBs I will never ever get.

0/11. Second time in a row.

I really hate this game. Utterly loathe it; curse the people who make it to the 1000th generation.

I am super burnt out, and playing it is a chore. I just want to play Bravely Second, but I can't, since this is a full time job that consumes all of my extremely limited free time.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Did my 100 gem pull on the new banner and got a Crystal Helm. That is a damn fine substitute if it's not going to give me a relic.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Nabbed Basch's Axe off a 100 gem pull. Guess I will try using him after all.

This discussion has been closed.