As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Chucks
    Chalk
    2-prong belt
    Glucose
    Bluetooth headset

Despite every barbell having a clear bow, the gym has more than enough rollers and bands that I can leave mine at home.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    We should do an Every Day Gym Carry post

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Fuck, my gym bag has a water bottle in it, that's fuckin it.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    At this point I basically need to shrink wrap myself in neoprene just to move without aching - this will be you after a few years of training, and then your gym bag will be just as bad, just you wait.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    All mine has is gym clothes/shoes, liquid chalk, small towel, and a shaker bottle.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    chalk
    Romaleos IIs
    belt
    wrist wraps
    wrist straps
    knee sleeves
    lacrosse ball
    medical tape (in case of callus tears)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Shit yeah, with the deliberate EDC rectangular arrangement.

I think this is almost the tidiest my bag has ever been. There's usually a lot more miscellaneous crap.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Okay what is the lacrosse ball for?

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I like to use it for abductors, with a focus on my glutes, depending on how tight I am.

Sit down, and for the glute you want to mash (lol), cross that leg over the opposite leg, slide the ball under and hunt for the knots.

I will roll over to my side completely, holding myself up with my hands and work the hip as well.

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Deadlifts are coming along nicely, hit a new PR of 350, and felt I could have done more if I hadn't already gone through a working weight set beforehand. I think I need to buy chalk, grip is starting to feel less than solid. OHP remains the devil, but up to 110 so progress remains steady which is nice. Squats are starting to pick up, finally getting my form to where it feels comfortable and familiar which took things from "Ok, I can move this weight but its not solid" to "This is really light, I should start putting 10lbs more on a session for awhile". Bench is bench, progress is slow but coming along I guess.

The payoff for all your advice and help is that when doing my armored combat shenanigans I basically can't be bullied by pretty much anyone any more, and I play with some big boys. Got into a pushing bit with a guy a few weeks back and accidentally flatbacked him off his feet, surprised me as much as him as I hadn't had occasion to do use my lifting gains in a hard real world situation recently. So thanks guys, you're awesome!

• Options
    That's awesome to hear. It's great when you can see a transfer into real life activities like that.

Also, you won't regret getting some chalk. It's a game changer.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    The payoff for all your advice and help is that when doing my armored combat shenanigans I basically can't be bullied by pretty much anyone any more, and I play with some big boys. Got into a pushing bit with a guy a few weeks back and accidentally flatbacked him off his feet, surprised me as much as him as I hadn't had occasion to do use my lifting gains in a hard real world situation recently. So thanks guys, you're awesome!

oh yeah well yesterday I brought my shopping in from the car in one trip so we'll see who has got more benefit from their lifting

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Shoes, straps, chalk, shaker, ham cheese and tomato sandwich, P320, pistol grip M3, MDR in. 308, folding knife, signal flares...

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Chalk
    Shoes
    Towel
    Notebook
    Chaff
    Cigar
    Bandana (Infinite Ammo)

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't even have a bag. My phone goes in one pocket for spotify and app tracking, my keys go in the other pocket, and towel is over my shoulder.

i'm amateur

• Options
    Whelp tried shoeless squats... guess I'm taking my shoes off in the gym more frequently

• Options

Shoes, straps, chalk, shaker, ham cheese and tomato sandwich, P320, pistol grip M3, MDR in. 308, folding knife, signal flares...

Truly going to the gun show

• Options
    Speaking of guns...I'm watching Siege of Jadotville and my boner for the FAL has only increased

• Options
    How is it? I scroll past it on Netflix frequently

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Speaking of guns...I'm watching Siege of Jadotville and my boner for the FAL has only increased

The Aussie army used to use those (but we called them the L1A1 SLR) until we swapped to 5.56 and went with the Steyr instead.

• Options
    Pretty good. Would watch again.

Learned something I did not know!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Or you could just buy quality knee sleeves and not worry about wrapping every single set

Don't be condescending. I use Rehbands for my knee sleeves which are pretty much the only ones this thread has ever recommended. As much as I love them for general support they still don't compare to a good wrap, especially with being overweight and knees that aren't 100%.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Or you could just buy quality knee sleeves and not worry about wrapping every single set

Don't be condescending. I use Rehbands for my knee sleeves which are pretty much the only ones this thread has ever recommended. As much as I love them for general support they still don't compare to a good wrap, especially with being overweight and knees that aren't 100%.

You read too much into it and missed my next post.

I said that because wrapping for every single set sucks. Get some two ply or triple ply sleeves and save yourself some trouble. A good wrap is still superior to that, so save that for your heavy sets.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    And sleeves don't compress your kneecap into knee joint like wraps do.

• Options
    And sleeves don't compress your kneecap into knee joint like wraps do.

Yeah, don't use wraps to save your knees, cause they won't.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Meeqe wrote: »

oh yeah well yesterday I brought my shopping in from the car in one trip so we'll see who has got more benefit from their lifting

I can't awesome this post hard enough, I almost spit my coffee out reading it.

• Options
    There's something wonderfully satisfying about a good day of lifting followed by the ceremonial Eating of all the Leftovers meal that follows.

• Options
    Skwaats today - 5 rep and 11 rep pr.

ooxa62ekgwvw.png

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    I think I've figured out my superpower. If I am in a completely empty section of the gym, and silently fart, someone will immediately walk over to that part of the gym. Every time.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I've added the "bottom up kettlebell shoulder press" to my routine. My left hand basically has the grip strength of a wet towel, so it's good to have an exercise that will improve that.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Unicron80Unicron80 Registered User regular
    Gym bag (just got one, actually)

Mesh, 12 liter stuff bag from REI (don't
    Romaleos 2
    .5 lb fractional plates
    Chalk bag with mesh chalk sack

Brag time, did squats 3 sets 5 reps @ 215. First time i ever squatted my bodyweight, to my knowledge, and I'm doing it for reps! Excited for 2 plates next week, in'sh-allah.

Steam: Unicron80 PSN: Hawkbeard
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Haven't flat BB benched in a month and a half but decided to test where I was at and managed to match my old 1rm.

• Options
    Seriously though - fuck overhead press

rvru3f4cvugt.png

Seems like my elbow tendinitis is getting worse, don't know if I can do anything but put compression cuffs on them.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    1 WEIRD TRICK, PHYSICAL THERAPISTS HATE HIM

But have you tried heavy dumbbell shrugs or carries, like 35-45 kilos heavy at least, with straps if you need them to hang onto them for long enough? You can find all manner of mobilization stuff to help with elbows and it's cool but I've found that a good heavy longer-time-under-tension-stretch really does wonders sometimes (and hurts like an absolute motherfucker, but it's worth it).

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    1 WEIRD TRICK, PHYSICAL THERAPISTS HATE HIM

But have you tried heavy dumbbell shrugs or carries, like 35-45 kilos heavy at least, with straps if you need them to hang onto them for long enough? You can find all manner of mobilization stuff to help with elbows and it's cool but I've found that a good heavy longer-time-under-tension-stretch really does wonders sometimes (and hurts like an absolute motherfucker, but it's worth it).

I do heavy BB shrugs from time to time, but weighted carries might be a good idea. If nothing else it will help building my upper back.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    BB shrugs has never worked the same way for me, the individual dumbbells hanging neutrally at my side is what seems to help with my elbows.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    BB shrugs has never worked the same way for me, the individual dumbbells hanging neutrally at my side is what seems to help with my elbows.

Hanging from a pullup bar feels like it helps my elbows, similarly.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I love end of session dangling off the pull-up bar. I haven't had any elbow issues, so I don't notice that, but the way it pulls and stretches the subscapularis and pecs is wonderful.

• Options
    I've got one of those real bastard weeks coming up so I've banged out a marathon meal prep session this afternoon. 10 lunches, 8 dinners, 3 breakfasts and a batch of pizza dough because as of Thursday we own a pizza oven and I need to be prepared. From leaving for the grocery store to finishing the last of the dishes has been about six hours. Fridge looks incredible.

• Options
    I didn't work out Friday as I went shooting but that was an active day

Saturday I organized the garage and installed some shelving. I have more room than ever before.

The downside is my back is sore as shit and my knee is being a dumb fuck

This discussion has been closed.