Options

[Roleplaying Games] New Year, New Dungeons, Same Ol' Bane

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've read through the PnP stuff you get for backing and it seems pretty solid. It's a narrative game so the question is just is the one or two mechanics they solidly codify good? and the prep work/heat stuff seem really fun and evocative.

Interested to see how progression/campaign play works.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The Bounty Hunter splat for Edge of the Empire is finally out.

Highlights: a Martial Artist specialization, the ability to make multiple attacks per turn and wrist rockets.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Well wrist rockets shouldn't be a bonus in this case, really. Other stuff sounds cool though.

• Options
    Haha ok.

One of the signature abilities, if you've upgraded it enough, lets you name a character and find them anywhere in the galaxy, then start the next scene with them in handcuffs.

Amazing.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Haha ok.

One of the signature abilities, if you've upgraded it enough, lets you name a character and find them anywhere in the galaxy, then start the next scene with them in handcuffs.

Amazing.

Yeah, as far as narrative signature abilities go that's by far the most busted. The saving grace is that:
    1) Like other narrative abilities, it's still GM discretion (um, no, you can't use it on Darth Vader)
    2) The GM can plan around it
    3) It doesn't mean they can't ALSO start the scene surrounded by, say, a squad of stormtroopers or targeted by a Black Sun sniper.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, I think the important takeaway is that now, if you've got a Bounty Hunter in the party of sufficient experience there's literally no one they can't get to.

That doesn't mean the person of interest is cooperative, or that they don't have buddies that are going to try and bust them out en route. Or powerful friends that are just going to bust them out again.

I really like it as a character ability, but it's going need to be in the back of the mind of every gamemaster with such a character, basically all the time.

Edit: It also doesn't say that the manhunt ends in a reasonable amount of time. So if you're pushing your characters with pressing issues, they're going to have a hard time using this to pluck a Hutt off an asteroid three systems over or something.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    No, no...no. I'd allow them to put Vader in cuffs. Ya. Vader in cuffs. Think about how well that's going to blow over. It's a FINE power.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    There are times when FFG Star Wars really leans into the things it does best, and that bounty hunter signature is one of them to me.

• Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    There are times when FFG Star Wars really leans into the things it does best, and that bounty hunter signature is one of them to me.

Most of the signature abilities do this, they offer shortcuts to really cool, cinematic moments. They are great. I love this system so much.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Haha ok.

Amazing.

Yeah, as far as narrative signature abilities go that's by far the most busted. The saving grace is that:
    1) Like other narrative abilities, it's still GM discretion (um, no, you can't use it on Darth Vader)
    3) It doesn't mean they can't ALSO start the scene surrounded by, say, a squad of stormtroopers or targeted by a Black Sun sniper.
    It's a strong narrative ability that can also be used to put the heroes in a really bad situation, at the GM's discretion.

That's good game design.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options

Most of the signature abilities do this, they offer shortcuts to really cool, cinematic moments. They are great. I love this system so much.

I love it too. I just don't like how FFG takes and piecemeals it to us. Too much duplicated info, far too much milking. It's my favorite Star Wars game I'll never buy/play.

• Options

I love it too. I just don't like how FFG takes and piecemeals it to us. Too much duplicated info, far too much milking. It's my favorite Star Wars game I'll never buy/play.

Not disputing that there's duplicate info and the number of books can be annoying, but the lines are split up nicely, the core books are both enormous and complete, there's not any duplication within each line, and the book division is logical.

Now let me tell you how many WEG books I have with stats for Luke Skywalker and the Millenium Falcon...

• Options
    Man we have a real "interesting" discussion going between my FFG Star Wars group. One of my buddies who is playing one of two force users absolutely hates the fact that he gets conflict if he stands by and lets my gunslinger shoot somebody who is helpless, like surrendering at the end of a fight and what not.

I can't get him to understand that he has to at least try in the fiction to stop stuff like that from happening if he doesn't want the conflict. He has such a binary view of how the force is supposed to work, wants to never have to tap into the dark side to use force powers, etc.

Yet another reason why I don't think mixing the lines of this game is a great idea. Not if half the party is playing EotE characters not like lovable goofs but like actual criminals. My guy is basically Omar from The Wire, and readily kills anybody who is in the game so to speak.

• Options
    That's just the same conflict (ha) that's always existed in Star Wars games.

Part of the opportunity cost for having those sweet ass Force powers is being held to a higher standard than the semi-heroic scumbag with a blaster. The problem is, the Force is so broadly defined that it requires a bunch of interpretation by people at the table, and players are always going to interpret in the way that is most lenient for their own characters.

If you don't want to pay the piper, don't play a Force user.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What's he getting dinged with out of curiosity? Like the 1 point from "Knowing Inaction"? Because that feels like he's getting away really light.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Our GM hasn't really been hard at all on them, but I pointed out that using the table from the F&D GM section it's 10 conflict for "the PCs killing a helpless person," which I pointed out means he should've gotten the 10 earlier in the campaign when I shot a 12 year old kid in the face for talking back to me and he didn't try to stop it at all.

To be fair, the kid was the son of a gangster who was going to grow up to be a raping murderous scumbag like his father and told me as much right before I brained him. =P

But really, what my friend doesn't like is that he claims it's "unfair" that he gets conflict for things the other PCs do and he didn't do himself, and he also doesn't like that when he wants to spend force points to power his powers that he might actually have to use the dark side. To quote him, "Jedi in the movies and books can easily use their powers without ever worrying about touching the dark side."

And I used every point I could think of to explain how those were trained people with higher FRs than him, and that when he gets FR5+ he will also get to use the force without using any dark if he wants, unless he's trying to use like 5 points on a single power check, etc.

He has a mistaken perception that his force user has to invest more exp to get what he wants out of his character than the rest of us, and I have to remind him that his 1 presence character is better than my 3 presence character at using social skills like charm because his FR3 means that as long as he's willing to tap dark side, he can generate 3-6 successes JUST from his force dice when he makes those checks using his influence-powered checks. And he's also a better healing than our doctor.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Honestly, this all sounds like stuff that should've been solved in Session 0 when you decided to run a Paladin alongside Omar-fuckin-Little. You either need to establish that intra-party conflict is expected and encouraged or find ways to fictionally conceal the biggest potential conflicts.

This is not a particularly special problem. You've just recreated the classic LG Paladin + CN Rogue D&D game.

admanb on
  • Options
    Ok, couple of things;

If he could have stopped you from shooting a tween in the face and chose not to, that's pretty clearly worth a shitload of conflict. Regardless of the kid's parentage.

The other side, though, is that without the risk of conflict it's just a steady climb to Force Saint, and there's really no penalty for taking some now and then. It was a running joke in our F&D game that my character kept getting conflict for frickin' healing people, while we were having other guys mind tricking people's brains out through their noses and Force-building the means to consume entire planets in forest fires with no downside. There's meant to be some degree of play there, and the constant temptation of the Dark Side is something that everyone south of Yoda on the power scale has to deal with constantly.

If you're playing a Force healer/diplomat in a party full of murderous criminals, you need to at least make an effort to either convert them into something less terrible or at least mitigate some of their worst activities. And as part of that story, you're probably going to take Conflict semi-regularly, and that's appropriate to the kind of story being told. Either embrace it or reroll a gamorrean with a giant axe and embrace it in a completely different way instead.

• Options
    Man you're preaching to the choir. The friend of ours who is GMing hasn't run a game since 3.5 and despite my repeated suggestions that we needed to do a session 0 to set expectations for the game and all that, he didn't do it. And because of it, our first 3 monthly sessions of Star Wars were very average, and all the players were trying to figure out why the GM was offering us this linear plot feeling stuff that we didn't really want to do, all the while telling us we're free to do whatever we want, etc.

Thankfully before the session this last weekend I just had a huge email discussion with my buddy who is GMing and explained to him the way we were all feeling(stuff that would've been solved before the thing even started with a session 0), etc.

Honestly the guy who is playing the force character who is complaining about the force systems is seeing problems that aren't really there. His character isn't actually a goody two shoes type. He specifically wants to be a morally grey guy who isn't afraid to use the dark side. He just also wants to complain about the system and how it makes you potentially use the dark side, and how he can get conflict even if it's not from something he did himself, etc.

His first character concept was a guardian who would've been the goody two shoes obi-wan type, and he was saying how he's glad he didn't play that character, and I told him me too because that character would've been an absolutely awful fit for the game we're playing.

Hell, even in an all force user party that type of build would be bad if I was playing, because even if I was a force character I'd be playing one that welcomed conflict and taking short cuts and all that, because playing a "grind to 100 light side after 3 sessions) character is not my idea of interesting.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Ok, couple of things;

If he could have stopped you from shooting a tween in the face and chose not to, that's pretty clearly worth a shitload of conflict. Regardless of the kid's parentage.

The other side, though, is that without the risk of conflict it's just a steady climb to Force Saint, and there's really no penalty for taking some now and then. It was a running joke in our F&D game that my character kept getting conflict for frickin' healing people, while we were having other guys mind tricking people's brains out through their noses and Force-building the means to consume entire planets in forest fires with no downside. There's meant to be some degree of play there, and the constant temptation of the Dark Side is something that everyone south of Yoda on the power scale has to deal with constantly.

If you're playing a Force healer/diplomat in a party full of murderous criminals, you need to at least make an effort to either convert them into something less terrible or at least mitigate some of their worst activities. And as part of that story, you're probably going to take Conflict semi-regularly, and that's appropriate to the kind of story being told. Either embrace it or reroll a gamorrean with a giant axe and embrace it in a completely different way instead.

Honestly I don't blame him personally for the thing with the kid, because it happened before I've kind of explained to him how to story game(his history is very much just D&D where the story is just talking about the dragon you just killed).

He actually thought when I said that I raised my gun and shot the kid that suddenly that's what happened and he couldn't interject and say that he tried to stop me. He didn't want to retcon what I was saying, and I had to explain to him that I'm just describing my position in the fiction, he can still cut in and interrupt my actions if he needs to.

Our character mix is a bit strange. My friend having the issues isn't playing a diplomat/healer, he's playing a mystic-seer who has been sheltered his whole life and he's just unlocking his abilities in the force. It's just been a lot of heal/influence/a touch of move. He himself threatened a stormtrooper's life if he didn't give us info by using the force to suggest he was going to put a wrench through the guy's head(after I stunned the trooper unconscious so I could get a stormtrooper disguise because I thought it would be useful).

The planet and situation we started out in (we're only 4 monthly sessions into the game) is very much a bad place full of gangsters and poor people, so that's why so much of what we've done has been that kind of stuff. Gotta just roll with what comes.

Nobody else but me and my buddy's Besalisk mechanic who have been long time friends/smugglers/criminals are really murderous. My wife is playing an ataru striker who thinks she's just a really good pilot and drives for a guy on this crap planet she's been on her whole life, and she's actually more willing to do some violence. Amusingly, she's already light side paragon because of the fact that she doesn't use active force powers and just hasn't had a ton of conflict. The rest of the party is a doctor who runs a clinic and a bounty hunter droid but neither of them are players who really drive the story, they're a bit more casual and go with the flow.

I should really specify that there is no problem. We're all good friends and none of this is causing any real friction in the game. I'm really just kind of venting about how I wish he wasn't seeing the whole morality/conflict/light/dark side stuff through such a narrow lens.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    It's also important to note that if you actually act like a Jedi and avoid doing bad things you will SKY ROCKET up to Force Saint quickly. You really need to constantly be taking some hits to avoid the average +5.5 points from driving you right up to the top.

The thing is that the DM needs to make it hard to avoid conflict as well as having avoiding that conflict have consequences.

If you're not willing to have the struggle between Light and Dark be a theme in your game you're not willing to have Jedi in the game. That's working as intended to me.

• Options
    It's also important to note that if you actually act like a Jedi and avoid doing bad things you will SKY ROCKET up to Force Saint quickly. You really need to constantly be taking some hits to avoid the average +5.5 points from driving you right up to the top.

Unless you insist on keeping all those terrorism victims alive, obviously.

• Options

Don't heal angry Zed, don't heal angry.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The thing is that the DM needs to make it hard to avoid conflict as well as having avoiding that conflict have consequences.

If you're not willing to have the struggle between Light and Dark be a theme in your game you're not willing to have Jedi in the game. That's working as intended to me.

Could also just swap the jedi to use obligation or duty, and they still have to pay to use one colour of pip for balance.

Also all these posts are making me want to play FFG Star Wars again.

Oats on
  • Options
    I do wonder if the Morality track is really a great thing to put on one or two players in a larger game. But I'm not sure how to deal with the implications of removing it. Especially if the whole struggle between dark and light was something that attracted the player to the Force User in the first place.
    Also all these posts are making me want to play FFG Star Wars again.
    Let me tell you about my last surviving practitioner of an ancient non-Jedi but kinda similar kung fu school.

No, not that one.

It's a new one.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Also note at one time savage worlds was a D20 conversion but their current edition of the rules is pretty much a totally different system.
    Haha ok.

Amazing.

It is the dog that caught the postal truck talent. Sure you got the truck now what.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

There is no death there is only the force.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

Also important: if you kneecap people with your sniper rifle, it's like 4 conflict versus the 10 for murdering them.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    kaid wrote: »

There is no death there is only the force.

And when a thermal detonator goes off in a crowded stadium, there's a lot of force.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »

Also important: if you kneecap people with your sniper rifle, it's like 4 conflict versus the 10 for murdering them.

"He'll live."

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

"He'll live."
    This is basically "Person of Interest", every episode.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EsteedEsteed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

"It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Esteed on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

"He'll live."

I had many a Paladin that actually operated under that set of rules. 5E makes it so much easier to play this kinda person with the Avenging Paladin build.

Now here's something. I'm beginning to feel like Shadow of the Demon Lord is 5E but with a class mechanic I enjoy more. 5E/Warhammer 2E hybrid with some fun mechanics. I can take or leave the corruption stuff, but the core races and class options are bloody fantastic. I really, REALLY want to run/play some of that eventually.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I've been on the Jedi end of that conundrum. There was eventually a confrontation about it, and it was the relationship between those characters that lead to mine's discovery/rejection of the Darkside. And the same confrontation lead to my friend's character becoming less of a Jayne and more of a Mal.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Minion roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 3] 11 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 2], 2] 12 [4d6k3=[6, 3, 3], 1] 9 [4d6k3=[5, 3, 1], 1] 13 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 4], 1] 8 [4d6k3=[4, 3, 1], 1]

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Whoof.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I know... this poor cleric isn't going to make it.

• Options
    I'm playing a 13th Age one shot next week and the GM had us roll ability scores, I rolled just slightly better than what you did up there. Forced me to change my character to Occultist from Rogue like I wanted to do, because there's no damn way I was playing a class that attacks AC in 13th Age at level 5 with only a +3 to hit on my primary stat. No thanks, I'll use a class/talent combo that always gets to attack the lowest defense every enemy has if i'm going to have crap stats. =)

• Options
    Minion roll 6#4d6k3

6#4d6k3 6 # 12 [4d6k3=[5, 4, 3], 3] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 2] 16 [4d6k3=[6, 5, 5], 3] 7 [4d6k3=[3, 3, 1], 1] 18 [4d6k3=[6, 6, 6], 3] 13 [4d6k3=[6, 4, 3], 2]

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Oh wow, that turned out alright! An 18, 16, and two 13s. The 7 is troubling, but I'm sure I can work with it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png