Options

Is this [chat] conference over yet? Yes, yes it is

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Aaaaahhhhh I got a scholarship awarded!

It's "only" 500 dollars so it's not like it's huge or something, but!

I've never been a scholarship student before!

!!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Now I have a wide awake 6 year old but we dont know if they are going over

I am beyond pissed off

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Ludious wrote: »
    Alazull wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Northwest, own style of barbecue
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

let's slow down now, not get any lofty ideas of inclusion

It'll be blackberry and filbert based. You'll love it!

mmmm mmmm tastes like privilege

I'm sure at your barbecues where you actually roast pigs yourself you like to talk down to everyone else too.

They probably enjoy the food enough to put up with it for an extended period of time.

Oh my dear alazull,

the meat and the smoke is only part of barbecue. Shit talking is as much a part of barbecue culture as the sauce. Stuffing your face with meat while exclaiming how much better yours is is standard practice.

YOU ARE NOT READY

Ah.

I'm glad that you mansplained barbecue to me.

It sounds obnoxious, but at least the foods good enough to make up for the company.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I wonder who gets credit for the overstuffed sushi rolls with shit piled on them. Those are distinctly American.

Hopefully we can split that with CA at least.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    PNW could use a cuisine though... I think we just haven't been around long enough. (Well the white people anyway.)

"Lol salmon" isn't a cuisine.

The oysters and mussels up there are streets ahead, so you have that going for you.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    My favorite part of southern Barbecue culture is people getting mad about folks coming empty handed.

One guy I rode with told me if someone doesn't bring anything they get one plate with just chicken.

No exceptions.

• Options
    But I'm still not good enough to be allowed into the overwatch beta

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    taco protocols initiated

PREPARING FIXINS...
    FILLING SHELL......
    SCOOPING GUAC.........
    RETICULATING SPLINES............
    LAYERING CHEESE..................

!!!TACO READY!!!

those fucking splines man

• Options
    He's in Washington. The Pacific NW has no dignity when it comes to BBQ.

there are only a couple of places in the whole seattle area that are even halfway decent, it's sad

Uh...

My friends make really good brisket and pork at their place here in Anacortes.

It turns out people from not Washington have slowly been spreading the good word.

I've been burned before alazull, don't get my hopes up

I've been to places run by transplants where I suspect they were run out of their home state on a rail for their subpar barbecue

They just opened a trailer to do barbecue and have refined their technique.

One is from Wisconsin, the other Florida. They make it work.

It's cheaper than traveling out of state?

But real talk I think what you're seeing all over the Northwest is that people are actually getting interested in real barbecue, and therefore the quality is slowly improving.

Hell I'm thinking we're about ten years out before we develop our own style of barbecue.

At the very least we have no excuse not to like, Americanize Korean bbq

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I never benfitted much from pull up negatives, myself. That was one exercise that I only really started making good progress on after lifting weights.
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So I've been shopping my résumé around to a few companies after the office up here closed.

One wants to know if $106k sounds acceptable.

uhhhhhhhhh hm yeah that sounds nice.

depends for what
    For me.
    (I'm an engineer working at a refinery with 5 years of experience so it's not outrageous or anything but maybe programjunkie will consider eating me and that's all one can really hope for in life.)

If you buy me dinner first. :razz:

(Listen, Mr. Thousandaire, 106K / year is reasonable and appropriate pay for a highly skilled person. Millions into hundreds of millions is not)

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    taco protocols initiated

PREPARING FIXINS...
    FILLING SHELL......
    SCOOPING GUAC.........
    RETICULATING SPLINES............
    LAYERING CHEESE..................

!!!TACO READY!!!

those fucking splines man

safety first jacob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I just checked google. There is a Pacific Northwest barbecue association (PNWBA) and their logo is a totem pole with cow, pig, and chicken.

Smoked chicken and fish is a huge thing around here.

And there have been people from Washington that have won awards at competitions and the like.

I'm saying that if you looked at the interest in barbecue ten years ago to now, it's gotten big. People are actually asking what wood you use, and understand that barbecue sauce exists outside of KC Masterpiece. They understand that you grill hot dogs and hamburgers, you don't really barbecue them.

Maybe in another ten, you'll have people who aren't happy just aping other styles. Although yeah do expect blackberry barbecue sauce to be a thing.

• Options
    They don't serve these in Japan:

sushi-dinner-jamison-4-610x457.jpg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Kk i'm gonna go make a quesadilla now

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sure at your barbecues where you actually roast pigs yourself you like to talk down to everyone else too.

They probably enjoy the food enough to put up with it for an extended period of time.

Oh my dear alazull,

the meat and the smoke is only part of barbecue. Shit talking is as much a part of barbecue culture as the sauce. Stuffing your face with meat while exclaiming how much better yours is is standard practice.

YOU ARE NOT READY

Ah.

It sounds obnoxious, but at least the foods good enough to make up for the company.

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention there, nor was I trying to -really- talk down to you.

• Options
    I just checked google. There is a Pacific Northwest barbecue association (PNWBA) and their logo is a totem pole with cow, pig, and chicken.

Smoked chicken and fish is a huge thing around here.

And there have been people from Washington that have won awards at competitions and the like.

I'm saying that if you looked at the interest in barbecue ten years ago to now, it's gotten big. People are actually asking what wood you use, and understand that barbecue sauce exists outside of KC Masterpiece. They understand that you grill hot dogs and hamburgers, you don't really barbecue them.

Maybe in another ten, you'll have people who aren't happy just aping other styles. Although yeah do expect blackberry barbecue sauce to be a thing.

Actually!

That reminds me of Caveman Kitchen down in Kent. They've been smoking chicken for years and it's not really bbq, just kinda their own thing.

I haven't been there in so long I should hit them up.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    @bloodyroarxx hmm, might have to get Battleborn.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral's reply reminded me, and I may have mentioned this before, but the music for the original Sims does weird shit to my head

it's like a team of researchers subjected hundreds of subjects to bizarre experiments for years in order to produce the platonic ideal of what you expect to hear when you step into a small office, like a title office or a travel agency from back when those existed, in the back of a strip mall in a suburb that is still growing and has not yet gone to seed

i cannot hear it and not think of my childhood, when I could look south out of my grandparents' bedroom window and see a fleet of RE/MAX balloons holding station over some new development a few miles south of me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=399YneFTwh0

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I have no clue what is or isn't authentic sushi. My 8yr old loves California rolls from sushi boat. And we eat out with the in laws at a sit down place called Wasabi. Kid loves that, too.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I want to play a game that is Overwatch

Can anyone recommend a game that is Overwatch for me to play?

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Aaaaahhhhh I got a scholarship awarded!

It's "only" 500 dollars so it's not like it's huge or something, but!

I've never been a scholarship student before!

!!

I had a scholarship once and I can give you some advice

don't spend three semesters doing nothing but playing Starsiege Tribes with your roommate

just don't

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

yay now the Baby is awake, kiddoroar doesnt want to go back to bed AND they arent going over cause it all blew over.

fuck this shit.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    I want to play a game that is Overwatch

Can anyone recommend a game that is Overwatch for me to play?

There is one! The name escapes me at the moment.

• Options
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my dear alazull,

YOU ARE NOT READY

Ah.

Sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention there, nor was I trying to -really- talk down to you.

*shrug* I don't mind talking about food, and I'll definitely acknowledge that the Northwest has a ways to go to being better at barbecue.

Just y'know maybe next time a little more discussion a little less being obnoxious?

• Options
    I have no clue what is or isn't authentic sushi. My 8yr old loves California rolls from sushi boat. And we eat out with the in laws at a sit down place called Wasabi. Kid loves that, too.

Unsurprisingly, California rolls are an Americanism.

Japanese is mostly nigiri and more simple rolls.

The elaborate rolls like I posted are usually American.

They all delicious so it's not like it matters.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Authenticity is a trap.

There's a Mexican place here in town that has "San Diego's best burrito!" As a tag line.

Which is great and all, but this ain't San Diego. San Diego is 1300 miles that way :arrow:

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Authenticity is a trap.

There's a Mexican place here in town that has "San Diego's best burrito!" As a tag line.

Which is great and all, but this ain't San Diego. San Diego is 1300 miles that way :arrow:

good food is good, whether it's authentic or not, is my feeling

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
  • Options
    Authenticity is a trap.

I would much rather have Spokane's best burrito.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Authenticity is a trap.

I would much rather have Spokane's best burrito.

Which is why I go to Qdoba.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Authenticity is a trap.

Sometimes I'm eating food and it's like "this food is inauthentic" and then the food disappears because it was illusory.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Went to Taqueria Nacional for happy hour/dinner with friends. Tacos so good.

Home now with the dem debate on my giant tv relaxing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Unsurprisingly, California rolls are an Americanism.

Japanese is mostly nigiri and more simple rolls.

The elaborate rolls like I posted are usually American.

They all delicious so it's not like it matters.

This guy has been working around the Valley lately, and just started doing a regular night here in Anacortes at my friend's bar.

https://youtu.be/-aELUHadsco

And from the sounds of things the idea is that sushi in America is at least trying to be authentic. You'll rarely find someone who has completed a real apprenticeship, but they do understand that the rice is more important than the fish, that the fish has an ideal way to be served.

But then again they aren't afraid to make presentations and flavors that their customers enjoy, and that's the sushi that got people to get over the whole, "Oh, it's raw fish on rice how gross!" attitude.

I mean that was an episode of Doug back in the day, how he was so worried he was going to die when his grandma took him to sushi.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I've never really liked the authentic/non authentic thing.

Food gets altered by the environment it's made in. Food evolves. That doesn't make it inauthentic.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Authenticity is a trap.

I disagree, slightly. You are right in that authentic does not mean better. But if I want an authentic Jambalaya then Applebee's Jambalaya Pasta is going to disappoint.

• Options
    Authenticity is a trap.

*hugs skappy*

This one, he gets it.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am just not a fan of the overwhelming flavors of US sushi. I prefer the more traditional sushi myself. That is why I go for. But good for others enjoying whatever.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    That was the best quesadilla I have ever made in St. Louis.

• Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    I've never really liked the authentic/non authentic thing.

Food gets altered by the environment it's made in. Food evolves. That doesn't make it inauthentic.

No, but it can make it gross.

This discussion has been closed.