Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Vivi is a child confronted with mortality, the fact that he's an anomaly and that the only other people like him are evil mindless automatons, and who over the course of the game has to decide for himself what legacy is and how he'll have to deal with the idea that someday the world will move on without him. He has by far the most character development in the game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    SimBen wrote: »
    Vivi is a child confronted with mortality, the fact that he's an anomaly and that the only other people like him are evil mindless automatons, and who over the course of the game has to decide for himself what legacy is and how he'll have to deal with the idea that someday the world will move on without him. He has by far the most character development in the game.

So he's basically every human being that has actually stopped to think about life for more than ten minutes, is what you're saying. He just did it at a relatively early age

That's fine, I guess, I just never saw the appeal with Vivi that everyone else does

If he weren't a black mage I'd never use him so I never had to see him

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Well, Vivi's not so much "a kid thinking about mortality" as he is "a kid thinking about mortality because he has a terminal illness"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Javen wrote: »
    Zidane scores high marks for me just for acting as such a foil to Cloud and Squall. He reminds me a lot of Bartz, actually. There are a lot of good things about the character (such as being adopted but not really considering that a negative)

They also do a lot of secondary character development, which I think is nice. It kind of makes the world feel bigger when you feel like your party extends beyond the people you take into ATB fights with you all the time. The Tantalus crew and Beatrix especially.

I actually wanted to get know more about the Tantalus crew, and I wished Beatrix became a permanent party member. It just never felt like a need to swap out from the core four for most of the game, except for Eiko playing a huge role in Garnet's development. I only did swap out some characters because Blue Mages rule and Quina and Freya are the only other characters with guaranteed 9999 damage skills. :P

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    People love IX for many reasons, but I wouldn't expect anyone to say that the characterization of the cast is one of them. If anyone says they do like the characters, it tends to boil down to Vivi, Beatrix or Garnet.

Zidane suffices in the hero role, but I don't think anyone has him as a favourite, nor is he on anyone's hate list. The rest of the cast are just... there. Steiner's importance in the story is mainly due to him being one of your main party members from the get-go with Garnet, but he's incredibly annoying the whole time through until the second half of the game. Freya seems like a wasted opportunity to have a cool character actually be cool, but she's so driven by Sir Fratley, that she ends up being one-note with almost no development until the end. Eiko actually has development, but I personally didn't care for her at all. Amarant and Quina are just the worst.

I like the real cast. Zidane, Vivi, Garnet, and Steiner. The other 4 that they added in for some apparent reason I've never been able to figure out can...I don't know...Go eat a log or something.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Zidane scores high marks for me just for acting as such a foil to Cloud and Squall. He reminds me a lot of Bartz, actually. There are a lot of good things about the character (such as being adopted but not really considering that a negative)

They also do a lot of secondary character development, which I think is nice. It kind of makes the world feel bigger when you feel like your party extends beyond the people you take into ATB fights with you all the time. The Tantalus crew and Beatrix especially.

I actually wanted to get know more about the Tantalus crew, and I wished Beatrix became a permanent party member. It just never felt like a need to swap out from the core four for most of the game, except for Eiko playing a huge role in Garnet's development. I only did swap out some characters because Blue Mages rule and Quina and Freya are the only other characters with guaranteed 9999 damage skills. :P

There's a lot they say, but yeah there's a lot they leave out too. You get that Marcus and Blank are besties, that Blank and Zidane are rivals, and that there's definitely something going on with Blank and Ruby (I swear to god, 99% of the time in a JRPG, if the girl and the guy don't get along, they're always a thing.)

There's also definitely stuff going on that make it seem like Tantalus is basically a group of orphan thieves that is pretty neat.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I legit like Zidane as a character. One of my faves.

Skevviness aside of course.

That said characters who create personas for themselves as defense mechanisms are always interesting to me.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Zidane is a loooot mopier than I was told

Not just about the Genome thing (I'm at Bran Bal by the way) but about his feelings for Garnet

It's not bad, but I'm surprised because he was used as a counterpoint to Cloud and Squall when really they're quite similar

BTW what is a little tedious is the souls souls souls lifestream planet souls plot surfacing again

I know FF9 was a return to the classics but that really wasn't the endearing part of any Final Fantasy to me

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Shinryu's down! Exdeath, you'rs next.

After I've mastered a handful more Jobs.

Annnd scene. Whoa that ending kind of pulls off some neat graphical tricks I kinda wish the rest of the game did. It looks like the ending to a way better-looking game.

Did you trigger the NeoExdeath transformation?

If that's even a thing in the version you are playing, idk.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Doesn't Neo Exdeath always happen unless you pull off some weird combo with the cannoneer class?

A neat thing I liked about the FFV's final battle is that anyone who was dead when you beat him gets lost in the void for a while, changing up the ending sequence.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    OK this plot is really convoluted and I need a soul chart

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I had forgotten the game's plot would kind of fall apart for you in the final act

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Doesn't Neo Exdeath always happen unless you pull off some weird combo with the cannoneer class?

A neat thing I liked about the FFV's final battle is that anyone who was dead when you beat him gets lost in the void for a while, changing up the ending sequence.

Maybe I'm backwards. I thought you had to do the canoneer thing to make it happen, not skip it. It's been a while.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    People love IX for many reasons, but I wouldn't expect anyone to say that the characterization of the cast is one of them. If anyone says they do like the characters, it tends to boil down to Vivi, Beatrix or Garnet.

Zidane suffices in the hero role, but I don't think anyone has him as a favourite, nor is he on anyone's hate list. The rest of the cast are just... there. Steiner's importance in the story is mainly due to him being one of your main party members from the get-go with Garnet, but he's incredibly annoying the whole time through until the second half of the game. Freya seems like a wasted opportunity to have a cool character actually be cool, but she's so driven by Sir Fratley, that she ends up being one-note with almost no development until the end. Eiko actually has development, but I personally didn't care for her at all. Amarant and Quina are just the worst.

The characterization of the cast is the exact reason FF9 is my favorite Final Fantasy. Amarant is kind of a waste, and Quina is comic relief (but pretty good at it), but everyone else is fleshed out, interesting, and has good interaction with the rest of the cast. I'll admit it's been a while since I played it, so maybe my opinion would change, but I remember liking the cast a lot more than just about any other FF I played.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm still working my way through Ni No Kuni. If they could just have made the combat more streamlined and intuitive, this would have been one of my favorite games ever. I even enjoy doing all the little fetch sidequests for people, because the writing is just so good, and everything is so charming.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

Maybe I'm backwards. I thought you had to do the canoneer thing to make it happen, not skip it. It's been a while.

No, Neo Exdeath is supposed to be the final fight.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

So he's basically every human being that has actually stopped to think about life for more than ten minutes, is what you're saying. He just did it at a relatively early age

That's fine, I guess, I just never saw the appeal with Vivi that everyone else does

If he weren't a black mage I'd never use him so I never had to see him

wait vow what are you saying

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    vow not everyone is a tiny boy with glowing yellow eyes and no face, did you not know that

• Options
    I stopped and thought about life for more than ten minutes and he's right

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    that ridiculous

wait where did this hat come from

• Options
    edited May 2016
    If you've never felt singled out and thought about the fact that humans are just animals that destroy the planet and breed with each other to create more planet destroyers and how this universe will move on without yourself or anyone you know and that "legacy" is a lie because everything you hold dear, relationships, culture, all of it, will one day be remembered by nobody because there will be nobody to remember it, well, I don't know what to tell you

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    whats wrong with destroying planets

• Options
    In the long term, nothing, really

In the meantime, hey I've got this nifty PS4

• Options
    would it even be desirable for the universe to not be able to move on without me or anybody I know

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    whats wrong with destroying planets

I get it now, people have just been leaving out half of it all this time. Im not just a cracker, im a planet cracker.

• Options
    all im saying its only important we keep this earth thing going until we dont need it anymore, then we can do whatever to it, galactic park, whatever

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    play some galactic bball, use it to chaos dunk a black hole

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    all im saying its only important we keep this earth thing going until we dont need it anymore, then we can do whatever to it, galactic park, whatever

landfill

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Nah, we can go right ahead. It's not like we can't cancel our appointments.

• Options

Annnd scene. Whoa that ending kind of pulls off some neat graphical tricks I kinda wish the rest of the game did. It looks like the ending to a way better-looking game.

Uh, I had to fight Neo Exdeath. What specifically are you referring to?

sig.gif
  • Options

Yeah I knew about that which is why I was careful to keep everyone alive

I even held back a bit to make sure I didn't accidentally kill him while someone was down.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Uh, I had to fight Neo Exdeath. What specifically are you referring to?

Nvm I had it backwards in my head.

There is a canoneer move that lets you skip NeoExdeath if you kill regular Exdeath with it. I haven't played that far in a long time and thought you had to use that move to fight him, not skip him. Also it apparently only works in the GBA version.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    That's because the Cannoneer class was added to the GBA version.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That's because the Cannoneer class was added to the GBA version.

Yeah, but it doesn't work on the steam/mobile version.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ah okay!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Seems like it was probably a glitch. That does not look like the background of something done intentionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMwLRQndBA

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    i am playing digimonstorycybersleuth

every lady is so perky

I love Digimon, but... yeah, that's a thing with that franchise.

Is it?

• Options
    it is a thing with suzuhito yasuda

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    My affection for FF9 is kind of declining as I watch SilverWind play it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I started playing FFXIV again and someone invited me to a free company and I was like oh that sounds neat I've never been in one of those before so I joined it and then the bottom left of my screen was flooded with chat about Sword Art Online so now I'm not in a free company anymore

This discussion has been closed.