As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Try having FFXIII as your second-favorite video game of all time and the one with the greatest emotional connection to you personally.

Then come back and talk about the woes of other people's negativity.

In a similar vein, I've seen that Tidus laughing video get posted a lot.

A lot.

So yeah, you get used to it, and quickly realize that not everyone is gonna be receptive to your arguments.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    what's everybody's favorite FF

mine is 8

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tactics

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    neither will happen, sorry

That's what makes it such a safe promise on my part

They never make boys kiss or deliver to a console I own, and I in turn dont lose 60 bucks and hundreds of hours of my life

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

mine is 8

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    TA

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

mine is 8

Also 8.

Although I think others are better games.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    My favorite FF is Okami

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    List of the songs available in FFXV car:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/heres-music-can-listen-final-fantasy-xvs-car/

FITHOS!!

Seriously though that list is way longer than I expected.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular

mine is 8

Also 8.

Although I think others are better games.

I love FF8.

I would never argue that it's a great game. It's not.

But I love it.

I should probably do another 7-8-9 playthrough soon.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

mine is 8

VI. Sometimes V depending on my mood.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

and the entirety of the Top Gun soundtrack, hopefully

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    List of the songs available in FFXV car:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/09/heres-music-can-listen-final-fantasy-xvs-car/

FITHOS!!

Seriously though that list is way longer than I expected.

You know them using the FF series extensive list of music so they don't have to worry about licensing is pretty genius

Gonna be playing Dancing Mad so much.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The only FF I've played that I didn't like much is FF13? And even then, I could find enough things to like about it that I played through the whole thing (and hell, there was a point in time when I was defending it, believe it or not). And even if its sequels didn't necessarily improve in the areas I wanted them to, both of them did some creative things.

And then there's X-2, which I have a whole lot of mixed feelings about and still can't decide whether it's good or not.

So I've never disliked an FF game in the same way I have with, say, the Tales Of series (dropped Xillia 2 halfway through and haven't bothered with the new ones) or Assassin's Creed (dropped Unity halfway through, view future big-budget Ubisoft projects with a boatload of skepticism).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

mine is 8

Nintendo Era - VI
    Playstation Era - VII
    PS2 Era - XII

All time? close between VII and XII.

My daughter has recently gotten very interested in RPG games. Luckily I still have the PS3 hooked up in my living room, and I was able to get both the Kingdom Hearts HD remixes very cheap. She's been setting beside me almost every night helping, exploring, and generally cheering me on during boss fights.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    IMO X-2 is a game with some really fun gameplay, and if you can take the girl power k-pop attitude of the game in stride and it doesn't ruin your enjoyment of the game, it's a fun ride. You also have to treat it as a separate thing from FFX, because that game has a really badass story, and X-2's story is just a bunch of silliness, even the stuff that isn't silly on purpose.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    FFX is my fave, FF9 is the one I remember most fondly.

I've fallen off Persona somewhat as well, in part due to Atlus and their mismanagement of Europe but also because of the Persona 4 cast's overexposure. I'm very excited for Persona 5 because I want to see what those great writers do with a whole new set of characters.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I've only tried one Persona game, and that was 4. I don't know if it's not being an anime watcher, or not being into relationship simulators or whatever, but it just lost me. I played it for like 5 hours and felt like I had barely played a video game. Just nothing but conversations about teenagers and their day to day. Even the idea of a murder mystery couldn't keep me intrigued long enough to get anywhere with it.

I dug DDS 1 and 2, so maybe if I played it long enough and the gameplay actually became about cool turn based combat I would like it, but I have too little free time to stick with a game if it takes that many hours to grab me.

For final fantasy games, I think X is the best game they've ever made, but my favorites list is probably like 7->10->9->12->8->everything else. I didn't play 6 until I was an adult, so I don't have nostalgia for it and it was way too easy. Charming as hell of course, but the gameplay felt shallow and too easy because I played it in my late 20s.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    XII and XIV are close

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I've only tried one Persona game, and that was 4. I don't know if it's not being an anime watcher, or not being into relationship simulators or whatever, but it just lost me. I played it for like 5 hours and felt like I had barely played a video game. Just nothing but conversations about teenagers and their day to day. Even the idea of a murder mystery couldn't keep me intrigued long enough to get anywhere with it.

I dug DDS 1 and 2, so maybe if I played it long enough and the gameplay actually became about cool turn based combat I would like it, but I have too little free time to stick with a game if it takes that many hours to grab me.

For final fantasy games, I think X is the best game they've ever made, but my favorites list is probably like 7->10->9->12->8->everything else. I didn't play 6 until I was an adult, so I don't have nostalgia for it and it was way too easy. Charming as hell of course, but the gameplay felt shallow and too easy because I played it in my late 20s.

That's definitely part of the appeal to them but it's very understandable if you just don't enjoy that sort of gameplay. You will spend long stretches in those games just walking around, talking to characters and observing scenes.

• Options
    I liked X's hot-swapping of party members in the middle of a battle.

I know that XII was a huge departure of combat system from any of the other games -- but I think that's why I liked it so much.

• Options
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be critical of the game itself, just that it didn't seem to offer what I wanted. When I see footage of Persona games, I always think they look very stylish, which is why I wanted to try out P4. Hell, watching trailers of P5 makes me go "I gotta play that," even knowing that I may very well have the same issues with it that I did with 4.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Persona at this point is best described as a slice of life social simulator with dungeon crawling and mythological pokemon thrown in to break up the tempo every now and then.

• Options
    Persona games are generally a 50/50 split between traditional RPG dungeon crawling and "walk around the town, talk to people"

Personally, it's the ideal JRPG for me, cause the writing/translations are so strong in a way I haven't gotten from any other JRPG

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Persona 4 does get pretty dungeon crawly later on. But I can see where the 'daytime' parts of picking/choosing/developing your social links can be kinda unappealing to players.

• Options
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to be critical of the game itself, just that it didn't seem to offer what I wanted. When I see footage of Persona games, I always think they look very stylish, which is why I wanted to try out P4. Hell, watching trailers of P5 makes me go "I gotta play that," even knowing that I may very well have the same issues with it that I did with 4.

Oh yea I completely understand.

Just letting ya know that even as you get further in those games you will still have long stretches like that not just in the beginning. So don't feel like ya missed anything by not making it further. Probs just not your style.

• Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the information for sure.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    My favorite mainline FFs:
    NES - I
    SNES - V
    PS1 - VIII
    PS2 - XII
    PS3 - XIII (I still haven't played the rest, so when I get a chance XIII-2 or -3 might beat it out)

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    V takes second place for me, eventually overcoming my extreme nostalgia for IV to be my favorite of that generation (IV was where I got started with the series). I wish I'd been able to play V as a youth between IV and VI, but I'm glad I eventually got to play it (and then play it again and again).

VII comes in third. It's the only one of the PS1 games I like (barring Tactics), but I like it a lot. I never had a PS1, so I struggled to be able to play it. I got through maybe half of it on my friend's copy. Then it came out for the PC, so I got to beat it there a couple times. In the end that's worked out in my favor, because the PC modding community for FFVII is excellent, helping the game to keep holding up without needing the remake (and this is one of the reasons I'm okay with the remake being so different; I already have a classic-style, high-quality version of FFVII, so I welcome a totally new take).

Honorable mentions go to X and XII. I can't quite figure out what order to place them in. I think X is temporarily in the lead, but XII Zodiac Age will likely overtake it. I really enjoy XII's massive post-game, where X's grindy mess of one is something I've never been able to force myself to complete. I did manage to get all the ultimate weapons and aeons, but I couldn't handle maxing out the sphere grid or getting all the optional monsters made. I'm a bit disappointed in that since I really like X; the only other FF I didn't complete the post-game for is IX. Not because IX's is hard; I actually have no idea whether it is or not. I've just never been able to bring myself to continue playing when I finally make it through the end. It's... not my game.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    My favorite FF's story, setting and cast is VII

My favorite FF's gameplay is FFX

My favorite FF overall is maybe FFVI

I suppose if the Remake can bring over the story and characters of the original FFVII with modernized visuals and gameplay and (hopefully) improvements in the various areas that needed it, that could cement it as my favorite.

FFXIV is in a weird spot, because while I love that game's story and original characters, I have a feeling I wouldn't adore it quite as much if not for the way it constantly and creatively references past FF games, going so far as to repurpose certain elements as part of FFXIV's lore. I guess I would call it my favorite FF fanservice game, but that feels kind of like a disservice.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    final fantasy fifteen? more like fanal fartasy fiftoot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

That's definitely part of the appeal to them but it's very understandable if you just don't enjoy that sort of gameplay. You will spend long stretches in those games just walking around, talking to characters and observing scenes.

Honestly that's the only appealing part to me

I think Persona 4 actually plays like pure fucking trash

But Golden at least has a super easy "you literally can't die" mode which essentially turns the game into a glorified visual novel, and it's fantastic, I definitely recommend it if the story and characters are all you're after

P5 will have it too, thankfully

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    IX. IX is my overall all-rounder favorite FF.

I like certain aspects of a lot of other games in the series more, but IX wins for me as a whole package.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Also X, X-2 and VII are my favorite FFs in that order

I like all of them to varying degrees though, except for II, which is bad, III, which I never played, and XIII, which I quickly stopped giving the time of day to

You know I might be full of shit on this one

At the end of the day I feel like XIV has to be towards the top of my list, maybe even second or third

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Also X, X-2 and VII are my favorite FFs in that order

I like all of them though, except for II, which is bad, III, which I never played, and XIII, which I quickly stopped giving the time of day to

II, like so many NES sequels, is fascinating in concept and terrible in execution.

III is fine but doesn't do anything that the SNES games didn't do better, and the ports I've experienced preserved some of the NES-era design choices to its detriment.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I don't really understand people hating Persona's dungeon crawling

Personally it's my favorite JRPG combat by far, and I can't stand Final Fantasy combat

Maybe I'm just the weirdo

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    By the way, I couldn't help but notice that Square's output has been....really goddamn great lately.

Let's take a look at this year so far:

1. Hitman

2. Deus Ex Mankind Divided

3. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius and Mobius (two high quality gacha-style mobile games)

4. I Am Setsuna

5. Massive and routine updates to Final Fantasy XIV

6. Dragon Quest VII

And in the mere span of two months, they're topping the year off with:

1. Dragon Quest Builders

2. World of Final Fantasy

3. Final Fantasy XV

4. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)

While also being one of the first companies to really support the PS4 Pro, with many of the titles listed confirmed to be getting the Pro upgrade.

Then they faced online ridicule and disappointment in delaying FFXV for 2 months, but chose to shoulder the criticisms in ensuring the game doesn't launch in the same unfinished and buggy capacity that has ruined many other once-anticipated titles this generation. It's an unprecedented move after the money they spent marketing September 30th as their launch, but it keeps us, the consumers, from running into another NMS situation.

And we already know what they've got planned for the first quarter of 2017 with:

1. Nier Automata

2. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

3. Final Fantsay XII: The Zodiac Age

But there's still a couple more announcements for this year including:

1. The next Final Fantasy XIV expansion

2. A new FFVII Remake Trailer (maybe, at Playstation Experience)

3. A new Kingdom Hearts III Trailer (definitely)

I don't know if it's possible for them to ever get back to their golden age with the PSX Era, but they're handling this gen significantly better than most other third party companies.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Personally it's my favorite JRPG combat by far, and I can't stand Final Fantasy combat

I like both in their own way. One of my favorite moments in any game is the first summoning in Persona 4.

• Options

Well there's plenty of people who feel the same as you.

Just different strokes.

I like both a lot. FF games change a lot from one to the next so you'd have to be comparing specific games not just the series.

But yea they're both my some of my favorite series of games. P5 and FFXV look like they'll both be battling for spots on my favorite games ever list.

• Options

Well there's plenty of people who feel the same as you.

Just different strokes.

I like both a lot. FF games change a lot from one to the next so you'd have to be comparing specific games not just the series.

But yea they're both my some of my favorite series of games. P5 and FFXV look like they'll both be battling for spots on my favorite games ever list.

The core of the combat from 4 through 9 was the same, so I'd wager he's mostly thinking of ATB.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.