As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

JRPG Thread: We're All Delayed Until November 29

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I'm glad that I have a fc that was willing to run me through those dungeons and let me watch the cutscenes in peace.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    people were rushing through those dungeons way back when I was a fresh 50 a week after release so could have been better yeah

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The one possible problem I can see with FF15 is there seems to be a looooot of walking across gigantic fields with not a lot to do in them

Maybe the car changes that dynamic a lot

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Sophia Extreme is a really fun fight but finding a good group for it is harder than the actual fight itself.

Also the music for A11 and A12 is so good I'm upset I already have gotten drops from each of them because I want reasons to keep listening to those tunes. Oh and the phase transition for A12 is maybe the best they've done yet

sonic

BOOM

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I think its about time for me to get back into ff14

Gotta go back into battle on ym chocobo Qwuarkzocotal

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The one possible problem I can see with FF15 is there seems to be a looooot of walking across gigantic fields with not a lot to do in them

Maybe the car changes that dynamic a lot

There's fast travel options.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    This isn't the Simpsons thread!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Just did the second to last raid

These two guys in there were like "we need you to be a team player and instantly skip all the cutscenes"

Needless to say I was happy to then absorb all the cutscenes, even though I was actually sealed off from the battles, which is perfectly fine with me

• Options
    All main scenario quests in FFXIV finished

I mostly played it like single player, and it's weird because narratively speaking it's really the only way it makes sense? Everything about it feels tailor-made to be addressing only one player at all times - many duties only let you do them alone, and all dungeon/raid cutscenes only show your character in them, and address you in the singular. "Warrior of Light, adventurer."

A great time, but no Shiva, so...6 out of 10

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So the most recent patch made me redo one piece of old content
    And yep, still hate Titan, even with our ridiculous ilvls now.

I forgot the timing on his landslides and got stuck in my DRG's animation lock.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

I mostly played it like single player, and it's weird because narratively speaking it's really the only way it makes sense? Everything about it feels tailor-made to be addressing only one player at all times - many duties only let you do them alone, and all dungeon/raid cutscenes only show your character in them, and address you in the singular. "Warrior of Light, adventurer."

A great time, but no Shiva, so...6 out of 10

If you want to see Shiva, keep playing.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I really wish I had the time for 14. I loved the little bit I played of it, and really want to see all this content.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    So is it just a me problem that my brain cannot hold the names of any of the FF15 characters

It feels like they've been pushing them really, really hard, with a real "you already love these guys!" marketing campaign, and my mind refuses to remember anything about them

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    You've got Main Guy, Big Guy, Glasses Guy, Skinny Guy

Pretty simple

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Noctis (main charachter), Ignus (fancy man), Gladeo (swole boy), Prompto (blondy).

I can remember them because they are dumb.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    Gary the scumbag

No that's pokemon.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    and car

don't forget car

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The FF14 quartet seem just super boring from a visual design perspective to me.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

ahahahahahahha

You have done the 2.0 MSQ. There next is the 2.X MSQ, the 3.0 MSQ, and the 3.X MSQ

the good news is each is better than the last!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I really want to buy the OST for FF14 but goddamn three discs each at a stupidly high price.

• Options
    also yeah shiva is in the 2.X quests and is the single best iteration on the character that the series has ever had. Also the best music

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Alright.

I just ordered a PSTV and P4Golden.

Lets do this (on October 4th).

• Options
    making the FFXV guys all wear all black all the time was a bad choice

they just kinda bleed into each other, design-wise

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

They wanted them to come off like a mafia gang so I'm guessing that was intentional.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The intro cutscene to the Shiva fight is still one of the coolest things I've seen in FFXIV

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Dragkonias wrote: »

They wanted them to come off like a mafia gang so I'm guessing that was intentional.

first of all, what kind of self-respecting mafia allows jet black cargo longshorts

second, i think that's still a bad design choice even if you are trying to show uniformity

if you're not willing to put everyone into variants of the same uniform (which can be pretty effective), there are still better ways of unifying individual character designs than throwing everything into the washer with a bucket of MIDNIGHT BLACK

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Well that's intentional. They have similar outfits for a reason.

And you can change their outfits as you see fit.

So no not really a bad choice.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

first of all, what kind of self-respecting mafia allows jet black cargo shorts

second, i think that's still a bad design choice even if you are trying to show uniformity

if you're not willing to put everyone into variants of the same uniform (which can be pretty effective), there are still better ways of unifying individual character designs than throwing everything into the washer with a bucket of MIDNIGHT BLACK

Eh. I don't really think its that hard to tell the difference between the outfits tbh.

Just saying they wanted a uniform look.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't really find them hard to distinguish either.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    oh, it's not hard to tell the difference when looking at them

but they sorta blend into this big nothing, for me, because they went about trying to make a team look in a very blah way

good character design can reflect both individuality and uniformity simultaneously and i don't think the FFXV team does either very well

like if you have everyone wearing the exact same outfit, that makes differences stand out a lot more and speak louder

does this dude tie his tie properly, or is it always loose? does she just kinda let the jacket hang over her shoulders? What kind of condition has everything been kept in, is it old or new, etc. etc. Maybe there's specific personal touches, a wristband or they've painted their helmet a specific way.

It can be really effective at showing everyone is part of a team/unit while reminding you of who they are, and this can especially used well to contrast say, a group that's completely 100% uniform (like, say, the bad guys in most games)

alternatively, there's more individualized designs that can still share a theme in recurring patterns/designs/colors, which is closer to what FFXV hits, but all black always is like. the least subtle and interesting way of doing this.

(as a side note, while i have been informed you can change their outfits, they went for a specific style in the official trailers/demo/whatever so i'm digging into that. that's what these characters were designed to look like)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think the guys look sort of boring but I'm sure I'll get used to them if/when I play (though I'll never stop looking at the game like "where the women")

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    P4 does an excellent job with having everyone in school uniform but still with distinct designs that have individual personality to them.

• Options

I sure hope there are options that aren't as boring as these.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Well I guess the question is "Do you think real modern style clothing options are boring?"

Because if the answer is yes, I think you are in for disappointment

• Options
    oh, it's not hard to tell the difference when looking at them

but they sorta blend into this big nothing, for me, because they went about trying to make a team look in a very blah way

good character design can reflect both individuality and uniformity simultaneously and i don't think the FFXV team does either very well

like if you have everyone wearing the exact same outfit, that makes differences stand out a lot more and speak louder

does this dude tie his tie properly, or is it always loose? does she just kinda let the jacket hang over her shoulders? What kind of condition has everything been kept in, is it old or new, etc. etc. Maybe there's specific personal touches, a wristband or they've painted their helmet a specific way.

It can be really effective at showing everyone is part of a team/unit while reminding you of who they are, and this can especially used well to contrast say, a group that's completely 100% uniform (like, say, the bad guys in most games)

alternatively, there's more individualized designs that can still share a theme in recurring patterns/designs/colors, which is closer to what FFXV hits, but all black always is like. the least subtle and interesting way of doing this.

(as a side note, while i have been informed you can change their outfits, they went for a specific style in the official trailers/demo/whatever so i'm digging into that. that's what these characters were designed to look like)

See I'd argue that they do a really good job of showing the characters personal traits through the outfits while still having them represent their togetherness/royal color.

They all have outfits that individually work as black outfits. Yet each one has it's own distinct style to it.

They each show their personality through the outfits yet use the color itself as the uniform trait to tie it together.

It's a really cool design to me and some of my more favorite FF character designs.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Well I guess the question is "Do you think real modern style clothing options are boring?"

Because if the answer is yes, I think you are in for disappointment

You can do modern style clothing and not be boring.

But if your outfit design is literally "Nike logo t-shirt" in your epic fantasy game then yeah, I think your design work is pretty fuckin' dull.

• Options
    If you can't dress them like the Driver's Ed episode of Dragon Ball Z, no sale

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I'll put Gladio in a Pink button up with "Badman" on the back, yes please.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.