As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Movies] Finally, Billy Dee Williams gets to be Two-Face.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The reason we're not getting Timm and Dini:

Dini hasn't been in-house at WB for years.

Timm is known as an animation guy, and there might be an unwillingness to let animated guys hop to live-action, as that doesn't always work (see: John Carter). Or maybe he just flat-out doesn't want to do it.

Much as I think DC has botched things I don't think there's a big conspiracy theory here.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I just love that in 1999 Marvel Comics went to their editing room and said "hey Kevin? You want to go up to Vancouver for a few weeks and see what Fox is up to and make sure they're not fucking up too bad?" and it's taken Warner until now to figure out that might have been a good idea.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    From what I understood Johns was brought onto the GL movie as a script cleanup at the last minute by Diane Nelson, who currently runs DC Entertainment (and needs to hella not be there anymore). It was not only to work the script (he gave the ending apparently) but also to put her person in the room because it's all corporate espionage stab you in the back with a Bic type thing.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I guess my statement about DC would be under the assumption that their working environment is on par with Marvel.

I mean neither of the big two are perfect, but I feel like Marvel's put out better comics over the years as well. (for the most part)

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    From an outsiders point of view, GL wasn't that bad; I thought that Ryan looked good as the charactr, the special effects were on point and it presented an interesting premise in the form of heroes empowered by their will and imagination to defend the universe.

What it screwed the pooch on was parallax; putting aside how completely unnecessary he was for an entry level movie to a franchise it's infuriating that DC failed to learn from FF4: rise of the silver surfer that evil space clouds do not for good movie villains make, even when they inexplicably make the green lanterns powers not work.

A better move (and one which could have made for a much more relatable, human story) would have been an exploration of how how Hal and Hector dealt with their father issues and coming into superhuman powers.

Also: saving the space stuff for a sequel and focusing on just whats going on on earth.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    From what I understood Johns was brought onto the GL movie as a script cleanup at the last minute by Diane Nelson, who currently runs DC Entertainment (and needs to hella not be there anymore). It was not only to work the script (he gave the ending apparently) but also to put her person in the room because it's all corporate espionage stab you in the back with a Bic type thing.

And WB is apparently STILL full of weird fiefdoms that make pointless restrictions on each other. The "Bat-embargo" of JLU lives on in Supergirl, which apparently can't cast a Superman and has to restrict him to being seen in shadows or in text message conversations with Supergirl. Yes, it's as awkward as it sounds.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

And WB is apparently STILL full of weird fiefdoms that make pointless restrictions on each other. The "Bat-embargo" of JLU lives on in Supergirl, which apparently can't cast a Superman and has to restrict him to being seen in shadows or in text message conversations with Supergirl. Yes, it's as awkward as it sounds.

Jesus christ, the more I hear about WB's fractious BS the more I can't help but be reminded of Game of thrones, and how they desperatley need an Aegon Targaryen to unite the 7 kingdoms.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hell, they've got Harley Quinn in their "girl power" line of dolls/action figures. Hope any new fans don't go see her movie or read her comic.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Didn't Geoff Johns have a big hand in Hal Jordan being the Green Lantern in that movie? At that time, Justice League was the only mainstream exposure GL got and they had John Stewart. A lot of people were confused about Ryan Reynolds being cast as GL because they thought GL was a black guy.

Also, Bruce Timm pretty much proved that he's way better than Geoff Johns since he developed the animated Green Lantern show with Giancarlo Volpe, and that show was a million times better than the movie.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Didn't Geoff Johns have a big hand in Hal Jordan being the Green Lantern in that movie? At that time, Justice League was the only mainstream exposure GL got and they had John Stewart. A lot of people were confused about Ryan Reynolds being cast as GL because they thought GL was a black guy.

Also, Bruce Timm pretty much proved that he's way better than Geoff Johns since he developed the animated Green Lantern show with Giancarlo Volpe, and that show was a million times better than the movie.

If you've watched the GL film (and read any GL comics) it's very easy to understand why they went with Hal. The film was loaded with fan service to the point of its detriment, and Hal is the comic book GL fan favorite.

It would be shocking to make the movie they made and have it be anyone but Hal. Completely counter intuitive.

But like I said, the level of fan servicey shit going in that film dragged it down so I'm not saying these were good choices, merely obvious ones given their raison d'être.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess my statement about DC would be under the assumption that their working environment is on par with Marvel.

I mean neither of the big two are perfect, but I feel like Marvel's put out better comics over the years as well. (for the most part)

It used to be fairly equal, nowadays DC Comics is a shit show who is losing talent and people stay away from for various reasons.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

So they have an organizational structure like Microsoft.
    wRhsF19.png

Couscous on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I believe I read that the reasons dini and time don't do more with live action things js cuz they can't due to some union or guild membership thing.

• Options
    Timm does like to have a lot of control over the stuff he works on, which wouldn't be very likely if they put him on a live action movie.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Would love to hear from you guys your top choices for animated movies. I've seen one or two, can't remember which. Haven't watched a lot of the shows other than Batman when I was a kid. Tried Justice League cartoon last year, wasn't too into it. Enjoyed the Green Lantern CG show from a couple years ago, though still wouldn't say I loved it.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Can vouch for:
    Justice League: War
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters
    Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox

I've heard Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman: Under the Red Hood are fantastic.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Would love to hear from you guys your top choices for animated movies. I've seen one or two, can't remember which. Haven't watched a lot of the shows other than Batman when I was a kid. Tried Justice League cartoon last year, wasn't too into it. Enjoyed the Green Lantern CG show from a couple years ago, though still wouldn't say I loved it.

For TV shows, watch Young Justice. Both seasons are up on Netflix in the US now and it's great. The second seasons does have some flaws as a result of them needing to rush the plot in an attempt to stave off cancellation (they failed), but the series as a whole is very good.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    All the animated movies are bad.

Just rewatch BTAS

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Can vouch for:
    Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox

I've heard Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman: Under the Red Hood are fantastic.

Can verify Under the Red Hood is super good ( killer soundtrack, and I get weepy at the ending everytime)

edit: seriously that soundtrack is so good
    https://youtu.be/TBzQpfLDg1Y

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I would recommend:

Mask of the Phantasm
    Return of the Joker
    Wonder Woman
    Gods and Monsters
    Justice League: New Frontier
    Superman vs. the Elite
    Under the Red Hood
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Crisis on Two Earths

Some of the shorts are also pretty good.

As for the shows, even though they weren't really made to be part of a universe, there's still continuity so it's better to watch them in order. Start with the first three seasons of Batman: The Animated Series, Mask of the Phantasm and Mr. Freeze movies, then the first season of Superman: The Animated Series, and then Superman and the fourth season of Batman together. Then Batman Beyond, and Static Shock and Justice League together.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I found the new Teen Titans one with Damien awful trash.

Other than that, the DC ones are usually good.

• Options

Ya I was looking so forward to TT vs JL, but I shut that off about 5-10 minutes into the un-ending dance competition/montage to fall out boy clone music

• Options

Ya I was looking so forward to TT vs JL, but I shut that off about 5-10 minutes into the un-ending dance competition/montage to fall out boy clone music

Ha, that was the exact same scene I wanted to give up on. I'm a sadist and watched it all, you didn't miss anything but kids going toe to toe with Wonder Woman.

• Options

Ha, that was the exact same scene I wanted to give up on. I'm a sadist and watched it all, you didn't miss anything but kids going toe to toe with Wonder Woman.

Seriously how long does that montage go on for

• Options
    This wrote: »

Batman: mask of the phantasm is good because it examines Bruce's early years as Batman and the objective choices he makes regarding what his life is going to be as a vigilante.

Under the red hood is fantastic, since it focuses on the ideals of the character.

Batman beyond is great all the way through (terry is way more intereting to me as batman then bruce), and it's one movie "return of the joker" is probably one of my favorites.

Superman doomsday is interesting not just as a microcosm of the death and return of superman arc, but also because it shows how integral Clark's upbringing is to who he is and what his values are.

Superman vs. the elite is another one that is interesting to watch, as it examines his "no killing" policy.

• Options
    I'll agree that Superman: Doomsday is seriously underrated -- it took the crazy complicated death and rebirth of Superman arc and turned it into something with an actually good plot. And it made cat petting into the most tense thing ever.

And Superman vs. The Elite, despite that spoiler of a title, is a much better rumination on who Superman is and how he fits in a complex, post 9-11 society than anything Zack Snyder could ever come up with.

The single Wonder Woman animated move is great too.

And don't forget Justice League: Gods and Monsters which made the big three dark n' gritty yet made them compelling. Bruce Timm did great stuff.

But yeah, the direct-to-video output has been waaaaay hit or miss, though leaning much more to miss on all the New 52 stuff. Though hopefully that mandate's going away now that we're getting Killing Joke.

• Options
    Eh they're more hit than miss.

Of the more recent, so called "DC Universe Animated Original Movies"

Superman: Doomsday

Justice League: The New Frontier (not seen it)
    Batman: Gotham Knight
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern: First Flight
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
    Batman: Under the Red Hood
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse

All-Star Superman

Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
    Batman: Year One
    Justice League: Doom
    Superman vs. The Elite
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Superman: Unbound (not seen it)
    Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
    Son of Batman
    Batman: Assault on Arkham
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

Batman vs. Robin

Batman: Bad Blood
    Justice League vs. Teen Titans (only one ive genuinely disliked)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Gonna disagree are, it made Hulk look like Shakespeare.
    Thou art making a fury rise within me

Thou wouldst not like my fury

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Dammit, now I actually want to see a Shakespearean stage production of Hulk.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »

Dammit, now I actually want to see a Shakespearean stage production of Hulk.

Hulk vs. Thor has a fair bit of Shakespearean prose uttered by the various asgardians.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

And Superman vs. The Elite, despite that spoiler of a title, is a much better rumination on who Superman is and how he fits in a complex, post 9-11 society than anything Zack Snyder could ever come up with.

Superman vs the elite is an uncritical cop out of a film with the worst deus ex since superman himself. It's really not good.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "Alas, poor Yorrick Jones"

Back on topic (DC at least), New Frontier is based on an excellent comic series, and Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best Batman movies.

Oh, and All-Star Superman is an adaptation of a really great comic.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh shoot Superman Unbound, I have not seen it, might need to watch it before Bad Blood and JL v TT v JTT v 5SOS

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    "Alas, poor Yorrick Jones"

Back on topic (DC at least), New Frontier is based on an excellent comic series, and Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best Batman movies.

Oh, and All-Star Superman is an adaptation of a really great comic.

I haven't seen Mask of the Phantasm since I was, like... eleven years old

But All-Star is so close to the comic, that one should really, really just read the comic

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gods and Monsters is good, War was fairly solid but a bit one note, Flashpoint Paradox I couldn't get into, I really liked the Justice League Flash and the movie Flash was a different critter.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So, apparently early reactions to Suicide Squad are good?

Yes, I am wary as well, since early reactions to Batman V Superman were also positive. At least Comicsalliance made sure to check that these appear to be real people making these tweets.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    The real question is "Will WB allow reviews to be released a week before release?".

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    The real question is "Will WB allow reviews to be released a week before release?".

Exactly.

Fool me thrice...

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Exactly.

Fool me thrice...

Shame on Zoidberg?

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Exactly.

Fool me thrice...

I buy the ticket again.