Options

The Demon Free Webcomic Thread

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I can't think of any OotS I'd skip

It drags in some places but Burlew is stupidly good at making a satisfying conclusion to an arc, so it's always worth reading for the big moments

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    If you want to read OotS, but don't want to go too far back to the '98 beginnings or something, where to start? Any good accessible point where the comic has started getting into its groove?

OOTS is the sort of comic where I'd definitely say the whole archive is worth your time. Rich Burlew had a really strong idea of where he was going with it from very early on, and it's not really an episodic comic at all. Almost everything ties into a grand sweeping plot, and the stuff that doesn't comes more towards the middle of the current archive (it kind of felt like he was treading water a little after his very successful Kickstarter proved kind of overwhelming for him).

He totally got overwhelmed by the Kickstarter results combined with some health issues. I feel he's made a strong good faith effort to fulfill it (and is still working on it) but I understand the disappointment from some folks. That was launched over 4 years ago and has rewards outstanding. All the actually point of the Kickstarter rewards have been long fulfilled (Reprints of books and games mostly) but it was the early days of Kickstarter and the stretch goals he promised, especially the individualized ones, were large over commitments.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Coo'. Thanks!

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    If you want to read OotS, but don't want to go too far back to the '98 beginnings or something, where to start? Any good accessible point where the comic has started getting into its groove?

OOTS is the sort of comic where I'd definitely say the whole archive is worth your time. Rich Burlew had a really strong idea of where he was going with it from very early on, and it's not really an episodic comic at all. Almost everything ties into a grand sweeping plot, and the stuff that doesn't comes more towards the middle of the current archive (it kind of felt like he was treading water a little after his very successful Kickstarter proved kind of overwhelming for him).

He totally got overwhelmed by the Kickstarter results combined with some health issues. I feel he's made a strong good faith effort to fulfill it (and is still working on it) but I understand the disappointment from some folks. That was launched over 4 years ago and has rewards outstanding. All the actually point of the Kickstarter rewards have been long fulfilled (Reprints of books and games mostly) but it was the early days of Kickstarter and the stretch goals he promised, especially the individualized ones, were large over commitments.

Oh yeah, absolutely. But unlike a couple other very late Kickstarters that I'm still waiting on rewards from, I'm not disgruntled at all about his. He's a lone dude who got swept up in the thrill of being one of the first small indy creative types to crack that million dollar mark. Now, there are a ton of other projects that have had similar or greater success to learn from. But for him, he was way out in uncharted territory, and it's easy to forgive him for over-promising like crazy.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    WEB_ch1_048.jpg
    the bear bandit has, like, two modes

Goodbye to Halos

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The talk about Paladins and how cool they can actually be reminds me of a Counter Monkey video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNSx7ilS4k

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Yeah, breaking his drawing hand immediately after promising a ton of personal new artwork was a large bump, but its not like he did it on purpose, so i dont hold it against him. I'm convinced that hes going to make good on every kickstarter he promised even if its taking him more time then expected, which is more then i expect from a lot of KS's.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Did you know Thing was played by the same person who did Lurch in the Tv show

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mighty No. 9 is actually coming out, anything is possible.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    The talk about Paladins and how cool they can actually be reminds me of a Counter Monkey video.

I went into this video feeling like I would be very open to his argument, but I couldn't get behind how extreme he seemed to be about his opinions. It kind of seems like he can only accept a roleplaying world where everything is completely black and white only with nine colours. He can't seem to understand how someone could be, say, chaotic neutral without taking the alignment to its insane extreme where the character is literally unable to coexist with other people. People can be kind of selfish and disregard laws without being crazy, just like paladins can be lawful good without murdering the party rogue for stealing an apple.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that guy always comes off as an unpleasant DM to play with

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Yeah, I'd be gone in a session.

He literally says "If you're chaotic neutral or true neutral and you haven't been thrown out of your group by the first session you're not playing your alignment."

Fuck that, and fuck him.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The entire point of alignments seems (coming from someone who has technically never played a DnD type game) to be making it real fuckin' hard to stick to your alignment in a way that you are comfortable with

Which is cool as hell, but a GM who discourages character development by forcing you to stick to the exact letter of the thing sounds like the worst

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Alignments are silly.

I much prefer the Apocalypse World system style of a series of important questions about your character.

It offers so much more to tie your characters together while defining them in pragmatic terms. It also allows for a lot of variation from a single character type. Like one game I played had a character class that the designer said was inspired by like Wolverine and The Man With No Name and various badasses with a penchant for escaping death and a mysterious past. And the guy playing it answered the questions in a way that made him less Wolverine and more Wormtongue, and it worked great. Like the same basic concept of "always makes it out alive" but with a character that made it out alive on account of being a horrible little weasel.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

Yeah, I'd be gone in a session.

He literally says "If you're chaotic neutral or true neutral and you haven't been thrown out of your group by the first session you're not playing your alignment."

Fuck that, and fuck him.

Seriously. Alignment is a quick summary of how a character reacts to the world, but it's not a goddamn straight-jacket. You can be Lawful Good and greedy, or Chaotic Evil and fanatically loyal to your friends. Bleh.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Honestly I think alignment is mostly there to restrict spells and prestige classes away from power gamers in order to give the world some narrative consistency.

• Options

I went into this video feeling like I would be very open to his argument, but I couldn't get behind how extreme he seemed to be about his opinions. It kind of seems like he can only accept a roleplaying world where everything is completely black and white only with nine colours. He can't seem to understand how someone could be, say, chaotic neutral without taking the alignment to its insane extreme where the character is literally unable to coexist with other people. People can be kind of selfish and disregard laws without being crazy, just like paladins can be lawful good without murdering the party rogue for stealing an apple.

He actually addresses people responding to his chaotic neutral comments at the beginning of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bop8aYGYkS4

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Alignments are silly.

I much prefer the Apocalypse World system style of a series of important questions about your character.

It offers so much more to tie your characters together while defining them in pragmatic terms. It also allows for a lot of variation from a single character type. Like one game I played had a character class that the designer said was inspired by like Wolverine and The Man With No Name and various badasses with a penchant for escaping death and a mysterious past. And the guy playing it answered the questions in a way that made him less Wolverine and more Wormtongue, and it worked great. Like the same basic concept of "always makes it out alive" but with a character that made it out alive on account of being a horrible little weasel.

Burning Wheel had a really cool system too. Instead of trying to tie your character to a predefined philosophy it asks what you're character wants to accomplish this session. It ties you more closely to the setting and moves the story along.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    wouldn't Lien freeze to death since she's banking on the ring for the protection against cold

e: otoh o'chul is o'chul and would realize what's up, and swap her the cloak

My read is they're going to swap the ring between the two of them.

Still, I like how Rich writes Paladins. You can actually see them being these inspiring figures without being jerks. Of course, he started off by writing Miko to illustrate that it is a range.

I like that he writes them on exactly the same level as each other most of the time

two Paladins on their own in the middle of the freezing fucking arse end of nowhere and one of them has a mental plan about dropping through the ice and just says "trust me" and the other one is like "yeah sure" because they're Paladins and they just roll with that shit.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I think the hardest I've ever laughed was when I found out that alignments are elemental forces in dnd, and that angels are like law elementals and demons evil elementals. Laughed non-stop for literally an hour.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The entire point of alignments seems (coming from someone who has technically never played a DnD type game) to be making it real fuckin' hard to stick to your alignment in a way that you are comfortable with

Which is cool as hell, but a GM who discourages character development by forcing you to stick to the exact letter of the thing sounds like the worst

Well, while being a hardass about it makes you a jerk, the problem is that people who pick alignments like that so they can evade certain game rules...

If your Chaotic Neutral, your essentially a Sociopath or insane. If your true neutral then your the most boring person on the planet, and unlikely to be the kind of person who would think hunting creatures for personal gain is the right career choice.

If you pick them to get a certain ability then act like it means nothing then you are cheating. Its a ROLE PLAYING game. if you arent playing your role then what the hell are you doing here?

Not saying you cant develope your character but fine, as soon as you start giving a shit about people then you should lose the abilty you gained by picking true/chaotic neutral etc.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Well, while being a hardass about it makes you a jerk, the problem is that people who pick alignments like that so they can evade certain game rules...

If your Chaotic Neutral, your essentially a Sociopath or insane. If your true neutral then your the most boring person on the planet, and unlikely to be the kind of person who would think hunting creatures for personal gain is the right career choice.

If you pick them to get a certain ability then act like it means nothing then you are cheating. Its a ROLE PLAYING game. if you arent playing your role then what the hell are you doing here?

Not saying you cant develope your character but fine, as soon as you start giving a shit about people then you should lose the abilty you gained by picking true/chaotic neutral etc.

That reminds me of every time someone has tried to roll a true neutral ascetic meditative monk to play in one of the D&D games I have run.

It's like, look that is a really cool character concept and all but why would you join a party of rough and tumble adventurers and go into tombs? You just made a really awesome NPC by accident.

• Options

He actually addresses people responding to his chaotic neutral comments at the beginning of this one.

Thanks for linking this, it's nice to see the more reasonable side of him.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    there's a new octopie!

but is has a partial nipple in it, and honestly I can't trust you guys with that kind of adult material

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Counter Monkey has some enjoyable videos but man is he a grognard. His... I forget if it was 4e or 5e? review is hard to believe it was made by an adult human.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Thanks for linking this, it's nice to see the more reasonable side of him.

No prob. I know Spoony tends to be a 'love him or hate him' kind of online personality due to his opinions but his Counter Monkey stuff tends to be pretty good. Those two videos aren't the first time he touched upon alignment either. The first one was called 'The Prisoner's Dilemma' which I think was either based on or inspired a text write-up he did in 2007 about his views on alignments, part of said write-up including a list of actual alignments and how he viewed them alongside some unofficial ones coming from players' actions he's seen and heard about in games.
    Lawful Good, a.k.a. "Boy Scouts" - Pure of heart, noble of spirit, a champion of peace and justice. They're honorable folk, real suckers for charity cases and will believe pretty much anything if the NPC looks pathetic and waifish. They'll often rope the rest of the party along on lame bug hunts and decline payment. It's an alignment usually only taken by asshole paladins, who interpret this alignment as intolerant smug posturing, denouncing or beating the fudge out of anyone with a different system of beliefs.

Lawful Neutral, a.k.a. "The Fuzz" - Primarily enforcement types who adhere to the law, right or wrong, and are interested only with maintaining order. They're difficult to justify as wandering adventurers, since the very nature of their lives tends to operate outside the scope of accepted law. They tend to be undesirable in an adventuring party because they're not much fun and will turn you in to the authorities for stealing stuff.

Lawful Stupid, a.k.a. "Johnny Fairplay" - Obsessed with honor and law, usually enforcing both with swift, brutal force. It's an alignment also normally taken by paladins who will tear your balls off for jaywalking or blaspheming under your breath. They will also always demand a fair fight, even going so far as to wake up and loudly challenge an elder green wyrm to an honorable duel instead of killing it in its sleep. They usually don't last more than a week.

Stupid Good, a.k.a. "Fucking Hippies" - The kind of simpering pacifist who refuses to take a life under any circumstances, tends to play unarmed clerics of wuss gods and are therefore nearly useless in a fight. Will incessantly whine and bitch if witnessing any shady act in progress. Tries to negotiate every encounter away from violence, and will often spend more healing magic on wounded enemies than on comrades, insisting that they be taken prisoner to stand trial for their crimes, no matter the location or circumstances, even if the nearest town is forty miles away and nobody has any rope.

Lawful Evil, a.k.a. "Republicans" - Tyrants, despots and fascists who operate within the law to oppress others for personal gain. People usually don't choose this alignment because they deal with this type of person enough at work already.

Neutral Good, a.k.a. "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time" - A common alignment for people who want to be good guys without being assholes about it. They help people in need and don't much care for politics when they do it. Tends to be a low-maintenance alignment a DM can't call you out on the carpet for violating as long as you don't act like a complete psychopath and spike orc babies like footballs while doing the Super Bowl Shuffle.

True Neutral, a.k.a. "Wafflers" - People with no strong moral leanings, such as farmers who care only about feeding their families are Neutral. Often misinterpreted by players who want to be cool mercenaries who serve the highest bidder (when this is actually Neutral Evil). Also the alignment of people who want to preserve the nebulous concept of balance between good and evil throughout the world. In Forgotten Realms, these people are known as Harpers, or more commonly, Pompous Fucktards.

Neutral Stupid, a.k.a "Unbelievable Assholes" - Some people (read: fucking druids) interpret True Neutrality to be absolute, rigid lockstep adherence to Balance. That's Balance with a capital B, and they believe that Balance must exist in all things. These jagoffs are such unbelievable pricks that, in an example given in the D&D rulebook, a typical druid might fight against a band of marauding gnolls, only to switch sides and attack his own party to save the gnoll's clan from being exterminated. Can you believe that shit?

True Neutral with Good Tendencies, a.k.a "Neutral With Bullshit Tendencies" - This is an inane distinction made in several adventure modules describing NPCs as Neutral, but Neutrals who do good things to help the party. Most people who play True Neutrals tend to do this as well, which begs the question why they don't just make Neutral Goods if they're just going to tap dance around the whole neutrality issue. You can't be neutral if you tend to always side with one group over another. That's the very antithesis of neutrality. It's just bullshit! True Neutral is a stupid alignment.

Neutral Evil, a.k.a. "Mercs and Assassins" - These people are out solely for personal gain and hold no loyalty to anybody. They have no interest in wanton destruction, but neither are they bound to any code of honor. Typically only taken by PCs who are playing assassins, but most of the time the character is too much of a lying, duplicitous scumbag to be much good as a player character in an adventuring party.

Chaotic Good, a.k.a. "The Thief" - Best thought of as the Robin Hood or Han Solo type of mentality, which makes it a very popular alignment because everyone wants to be Han Solo. Chaotic Good characters generally do whatever they want and will throw a beating to anyone who tries to oppress them. It's a good cop-out alignment for a character who wants to steal stuff and engage in pointless violence as long as it's generally directed towards the bad guys. Usually the guy who invents the game of orc bowling to find tripwires.

Chaotic Neutral, a.k.a. "The Cop-Out Alignment" - The character does what he wants, when he wants, period. He has no regard for law whatsoever, and cares nothing for ethics when he acts. These characters are invariably complete tools because they have no impulse control and have a proclivity for randomly stabbing people who annoy them in the throat. It's impossible for a DM to violate their actions on alignment grounds, because how can you ever claim a Chaotic Neutral is acting out of character? People who don't want to justify their actions or who just want to kill shit will often scribble "CN" on their sheets so the DM will leave them alone.

Chaotic Stupid, a.k.a. "The Xaositect" - Named after the Planescape faction devoted entirely to acting as random and bizarre as possible, Chaotic Stupids really are apt to do anything at any time, and usually spend most of their time thinking of the most imperceptibly loony thing to do just to prove that they can. They're just as likely to jump off a bridge howling the Battle Hymn of the Republic as they are to cross the bridge with penis in hand, jerking off into their own sock while shouting "Lemons! Lemons! Contact your network administrator!" They're not nearly as fun to have around at a party as you might think, because then you have to deal with them drunk.

Chaotic Evil, a.k.a "No Chance Will a DM Allow This" - Take a frigging guess what a Chaotic Evil is like. If you actually think a DM is going to let a CE character slide into a normal group, he's either running an Evil campaign or you bribed him.

Stupid Evil, a.k.a. "So You Bribed Him" - Evil characters are actually very playable as long as you're not an idiot, but most of the time people who want to play Evil characters are idiots, so you won't have to deal with their characters for long. The trick is not letting the other party members know that you're evil (usually you don't want them to know you're secretly an assassin), and so you masquerade as something else. Most of the time assassins claim to be bards, which is a bullshit story most veterans will see through instantly unless your poker face is fucking stellar. But Stupid Evils do everything they can to blow their cover by pulling some truly stupid shit, like stealing stuff from the party and getting caught almost instantly. Never rob your own party. It never ends well.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    there's a new octopie!

but is has a partial nipple in it, and honestly I can't trust you guys with that kind of adult material
    if i even think of even a fraction of a nipple i will cum

and i refuse to break my solemn cum free vow

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    He's right about evil characters but that's about it imho

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    mntqkkl2pn5o.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    1e5s36y.png
    finally someone who knows how to properly tackle the subject of philosophy

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote: »
    Alignments are silly.

Burning Wheel had a really cool system too. Instead of trying to tie your character to a predefined philosophy it asks what you're character wants to accomplish this session. It ties you more closely to the setting and moves the story along.

The HERO System does it better too, since characters have Complications that the players create as part of their background. So you get stuff like Psychological Limitation: Code Against Killing, Distinct Feature: Cyborg Arm, and Dependant NPC: Family Back on the Farm.

One of my characters was almost executed for almost sorta kinda being an Airbending terrorist in a Fantasy-Asia-Turned-Avatar campaign. Good times.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I didn't notice before, but Jesus Christ he can't even stand up. I think I'd rather be executed.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay.

That's a good SFP.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    1e5s36y.png
    finally someone who knows how to properly tackle the subject of philosophy
    Yes, okay, good job, totally worth it

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

The arrival of Miko (either 150 or 200) is where I'd say the comic really hits high gear but you want to read the whole thing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The arrival of Miko (either 150 or 200) is where I'd say the comic really hits high gear but you want to read the whole thing.

Yea, I was bored a bit and poking around the "main" plot is introduced in strip 13. It gets elaborated on later but the thread starts there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    2016-05-03-1219words.png
    He did NOT in fact turn off the coffee pot
    All the controls are push buttons

I really feel the last panel is what my brain says when I talk to people about stuff and their answer is what? no way

/pedant mode

Those old Looney Toons shorts were making pop culture references to the 30s and 40s, not the 60s.

/end pedant mode

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I didn't notice before, but Jesus Christ he can't even stand up. I think I'd rather be executed.

"Half measures are the curse of it, any rational society will either kill me or put me to some use let me stand up sometimes"

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Alignments are certainly not a perfect system, but are fine as long as the player and the GM aren't stupid about it. It's a broad outline for how your character interprets the world, and each covers a fairly broad spectrum of personalities that are generally in line with it. Being too hardline with it is basically just saying "There are exactly 9 personalities you can have, pick one"

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.