Options

The Demon Free Webcomic Thread

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I don't know who draws that, but they're so good at just making the characters look like they're having fun.

It's a tough thing to get right.

Michael Lunsford

He also drew my avatar

http://supernormalstep.tumblr.com/post/113927279827

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    He super rocks the facial expressions.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Back has always been really good

But holy shit this was an amazing update

I don't get it, what makes it amazing?

The dead man is sonic the hedgehog

he's been running really fast not teleporting around all ghostly and magic and stuff

it is a funny joke and a fantastic out of left field surprise

I get all of that, but what makes it amazing?

The town is a giant fanfic. Its written by a parody of character that is known for being in awful fanfics.

Basically the whole town is a Sonic original character do not steal

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't have particularly strong feelings one way or the other about his art! It's clearly skillfully made but I don't find the style particularly appealing, personally! Take that, Mike!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    ch11_34.jpg
    ch11_35.jpg

Unsounded is occasionally NSFW, such as in the second page of today's update

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    2016-05-04.png

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    2016-05-04-feeling-pensive.png
    At least six orders of magnitude cooler and less deadly than Harry Potter.
    housepetscomic.com

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    3213.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    ugh

water with lemon

gross

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yup they're gonna date

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    alright fine I could ship it

if they stay like that just all the time

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    514.jpg

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Finished reading through the Gunnerkrigg Court archives. Since I only saw recent stuff posted here, it's nice actually know what things were referencing this time around. And Tom makes the best comments ever his dry humor is so my thing.

hey look a sluggy comic
    160504a.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    ch11_35.jpg

Unsounded has really nice art

But I think it is really bad as COMIC art

It's way too visually dense, the panels have no flow from one to the next because the word balloons are just crammed wherever they can fit into the dense art

Panels 4 and panels 6 are both lovely on their own, but they cross the 180 degree plane. Panel 7 I had to re-examine because it seemed like the character on-panel was saying both lines.

On the whole page the characters have lovely body language and stuff but they're so tiny and crammed in next to detail detail detail that you have to put your face up to the screen to see it.

I feel like I'm always harping on unsounded but I really want to like it and it seems like the story is cool but the design of the comic makes it almost unreadable for me

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's certainly not a mile of single panels stitched together vertically that's for sure.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I don't find Unsounded to be unreadable at all. I do tend to consume the speech bubbles separate from the art, but both are dense enough to warrant the focus.

At least it's not that one with the bright neon colors where the artist used to outline the characters in white--I can't remember the name but it was hideously unreadable

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Machwing wrote: »
    I don't find Unsounded to be unreadable at all. I do tend to consume the speech bubbles separate from the art, but both are dense enough to warrant the focus.

At least it's not that one with the bright neon colors where the artist used to outline the characters in white--I can't remember the name but it was hideously unreadable

Vibe?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rock Cocks is OFTEN nsfw this is your only warning
    1462317577-175.png

• Options
    I have no trouble following Unsounded on a first read, and I enjoy going back and picking up little details I missed the first time.

I am reading on an iPad though. I could see if you were on smartphone how it might be hard, but I don't think it's really a comic meant for a small screen. It's big and beautiful and deserves a nice big screen that can show the details.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    unsounded is drawn in really high resolution and then shrunk, which shows

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    I have no trouble following Unsounded on a first read, and I enjoy going back and picking up little details I missed the first time.

I am reading on an iPad though. I could see if you were on smartphone how it might be hard, but I don't think it's really a comic meant for a small screen. It's big and beautiful and deserves a nice big screen that can show the details.

I'm reading it on PC

Also when I'm making specific complaints about a page's layout and pointing to the things I don't like it seems kind of shitty to just go, "Oh well it's sure not a mile of single panels" nyuknyuknyuk

Seriously, just compare the speech bubble layouts in unsounded to any of the other really nice comics we have in this thread that publish in a page at a time format.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Unsounded frequently does interesting and unconventional things with page layout and I while I do see your point with the speech bubbles it's not too hard to figure it out with context.

The "this is a comic meant for a big screen" and "it's not a mile of single panels" was because whenever people complain about that scrolling comic you reply that it's meant to be read on smartphones.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Unsounded frequently does interesting and unconventional things with page layout and I while I do see your point with the speech bubbles it's not too hard to figure it out with context.

The "this is a comic meant for a big screen" and "it's not a mile of single panels" was because whenever people complain about that scrolling comic you reply that it's meant to be read on smartphones.

great, so instead of saying "I see your point but it also does interesting things" you go with "Well YOU don't get to complain about anything because nyaaaah"

Granted I'm kind of tired and grouchy but it's still a dumb attitude, especially when you're now even acknowledging what I'm talking about

If a comic is designed towards a specific medium, then critique it based on that. I think unsounded isn't making the most out of its medium because of its bad page design.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Unsounded is drawn for print. It's high-res, high-contrast, and frequently does two-page spreads that make no sense when viewed on a forum or even occasionally on its own site (though the artist also does nice stuff with site layout intruding into the comic sometimes). Personally I find it perfectly easy to follow, and I generally have more trouble with comic layouts than most people seem to, but YMMV.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    I love Unsounded's world and characters, but the art can be hard to follow, especially in really busy action scenes.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    5-03-2016.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    00001666.jpg
    Oh and this person.

Take a shot.

• Options
    Nice to Beep You

1462333569-2016-4-04-Nice-To-Beep-You.jpg
    We all know the default horn is just too angry. It's like I'm telling my car to yell at your car. Be nice to cars! Someday when you're old, they'll take care of you by driving you to the Old Country Buffet at 4 miles per hour. Your car will ask, "Do you want me to turn off the blinker? No? Oh, you want me to drive through the wall. Alright, I love you and I believe in you."

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    my brother my brother and me did it first

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    1462321993-Ch5Pg116.png

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was just cleaning out my drawers and found some old naruto comics and damn does Paranatural feel the same visually.

I've also got Kakashi and Spender in my head each talking about how weird the other one is.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    jk8bkmdtbtkm.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Aw shit, White Chain gonna fuck some people up.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Narbonic - Dave’s Dead, Dave: May 28 - June 2, 2001

v7y5brut6w7k.gif
    5fqdexoknr89.jpg
    hvkti02w6aq8.jpg
    vyjp14up5rwz.jpg
    xlgs53fvktrm.jpg
    7nsbdnxcspdx.jpg

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    WON81.jpg

Note to self: never, ever ask myself that question, even rhetorically. Media has taught me that I really don't want to know the answer.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Also seriously a death metal band has used that motorcycle as an album cover by now, right?

This discussion has been closed.