As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    A question:
    My new PC is arriving soon (hopefully Tuesday)
    I recently got the MS PC pass, which includes Gears 5 and Forza, 2 games that are on my shortlist to see what its capable off.

Both those games are pretty chunky downloads.

Can you easily transfer files and have the Win App Store detect whats already there (which I know all the game company launchers can do?)

If that's the case I'll overnight the downloads in advance...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The Microsoft Store doesn't even want you to SEE your game files, so I actually doubt it'll work. You can't even create new files inside game folders once you do find them (and then take ownership to be able to see them). But I do not know for sure.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A question:
    My new PC is arriving soon (hopefully Tuesday)
    I recently got the MS PC pass, which includes Gears 5 and Forza, 2 games that are on my shortlist to see what its capable off.

Both those games are pretty chunky downloads.

Can you easily transfer files and have the Win App Store detect whats already there (which I know all the game company launchers can do?)

If that's the case I'll overnight the downloads in advance...

Strictly speaking, it is technically possible--I've done it before with Windows Store apps--but not only is it not certain, it may not be worth the hassle.

As noted, the folder structure is hidden (you can circumvent this), and most apps generally get a unique folder number (so you can't just copy the folder, you need to copy the contents). Assuming the Windows Store detects them as correct, it should just "update" the app rather than just installing it in a separate folder with a different number code generated.

On top of that, even if it did work, the Windows Store sometimes updates apps in such a way that most, if not all, the app is rechecked and even re-downloaded. Yes, it's pretty inefficient and yes, it's sometimes true about conventional x86 games in a Windows Store wrapper.

Having both relied heavily on the Windows Store (it generally works, frankly--once the early-adopter issues were cleared), and also experimented with editing app packages, I think what would most likely happens is this: you drop your old installed app package folder into the correct location (the "WindowsApp" folder on the set drive), the Windows Store may detect it, but it will decide, "Nope, I clearly didn't install this, so I'm just going to ignore it and install this elsewhere in a very similarly named folder on the same drive." So you end up downloading the app anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You could maybe try using the Backup feature in Windows to port the folders over, and you may have somewhat better success. You'll need to specifically add that folder, or its parent, when you set up Backup. I used this feature to move over a bunch of folders and settings when I recently installed a M.2 drive with a fresh Win10 install.

I have no idea if it would play nicely with apps.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I went with the backup plan for overnight downloads.
    It mostly worked, except having an active download in MS doesn't prevent the PC from going to sleep apparently. (Unlike Steam, who kept my PC from going to sleep)

I did find out that if you have an app installed, you can now easily move it to another drive in Settings > Apps.
    MS being MS, you can't set a directory. But moving is just a button (I never noticed before).

• Options
    Yeah, that functionality has been there for a while now. More than a year. Some apps, games, will outright ask you what drive to install to, all others (except for some in-baked ones) can be moved afterwards, but I'm not sure what determines the difference (arbitrary?).

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    .you can't pick what folder windows store apps/games are installed to barbecue they are protected files that the OS manages. Yes, you can pick drive, but not folder.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    "Cortana, install barbecue"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I went with the backup plan for overnight downloads.
    It mostly worked, except having an active download in MS doesn't prevent the PC from going to sleep apparently. (Unlike Steam, who kept my PC from going to sleep)

I did find out that if you have an app installed, you can now easily move it to another drive in Settings > Apps.
    MS being MS, you can't set a directory. But moving is just a button (I never noticed before).

Actually this was incorrect, and I hit a bug that its good to spread some info about:

If you have a game download not fully finished in the Win App Store, you can restart it by by pressing the ... button and select "Install on My Devices" and then reselect the device where it is installed already. Gears 5 was at 79% ingame even though the store said it was complete, and it threw me for a loop.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Is there any rumours/indication of what Microsoft is planning to announce at their Surface event in a couple days time?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They bought Nintendo five years ago?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Is there any rumours/indication of what Microsoft is planning to announce at their Surface event in a couple days time?

Only rumor I've seen is a new ARM-based (which in Windows land means Qualcomm) laptop model. I'd guess they will do the usual full refresh of the Pro/Book/Laptop models as well.

• Options
    Funny you should ask, everything leaked this morning

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/30/20892582/microsoft-surface-pro-7-leak-arm-powered-laptop-images

Pro 7, Laptop 3 in 13 and 15" sizes, and a new Surface 2 in 1 device running ARM, probably the 8CX that has a complete redesign.

This isn't in the Verge article but previous speculation is that the Pro 7 will have ice lake processors, at least 1 sku of the surface laptop will be an AMD laptop, and that the Book will not see an update.

You can also expect USB-C across the board.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Fortunately they're not emulating certain companies and deciding there's no place for USB A.

• Options
    It looks like the Pro 7 and Laptop will have USB-A, but the ARM surface will not.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So the ARM device is looking like a spiritual successor to the Surface Go, then?

I'm sitting on a first generation Surface Pro from 2013, and it's showing its age to the point where it's more or less not even suited for a night time content consumption device anymore.

These days that's about all I use a tablet for, so I haven't been able to justify any of the previous Surface devices except the Go, which I was about to buy until I heard about this upcoming range update.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So the ARM device is looking like a spiritual successor to the Surface Go, then?

I'm sitting on a first generation Surface Pro from 2013, and it's showing its age to the point where it's more or less not even suited for a night time content consumption device anymore.

These days that's about all I use a tablet for, so I haven't been able to justify any of the previous Surface devices except the Go, which I was about to buy until I heard about this upcoming range update.

I bet the Go sticks around. ARM computers from other OEM's have not been cheap. they're regular ultrabook pricing. Especially with the new thin/light design I really don't think the ARM surface will be $400. I really hope it will, and I'd probably sell my Go and pick that up if it was, but I just don't think it will.

If I had to guess the lineup will look like this:

Surface Go
    Surface ARM (or whatever they call it)
    Surface Pro
    Surface Laptop

And then the Surface Book 2 sticking around as a niche/specialty device.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    ARM Surface is the Surface Pro X, running on a custom "Qualcomm SQ1" processor.

Not going to be a cheap machine.

• Options
    Get that surface neo into my veins right now.

• Options
    They look okay, I guess. Two separate screens are a lot less of that blend of "extremely temperamental" and "insanely expensive" than one screen that flexes enough to work as a hinge.

Not feeling pressured to replace my Surface Pro (2017), but that's no surprise. Glad to see that the USB-C is not the sole power option, I prefer the magnetic clip charger we're using now. Looks like a suitable successor, though most of the changes are in how Windows 10 works now.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    There any way to bypass the Microsoft-Verification thinger for a single app in Win10?

nevermind, I found it (properties>unblock). but it's one way... ?

So... new question: any way to turn that prompt back on, ha. Not that I am just... weird that it vanished.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Does anyone know why I might be unable to upgrade to 1903? Every time I try, it downloads, installs, then I restart, it goes through the normal process then aborts it at about 27%. I can come back with the error code if that's super relevant, but wondering if there's any common issues for why the update would be failing like this.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Download the media creation tool and upgrade from that. If that fails, run the update again with WiFi disabled.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Download the media creation tool and upgrade from that. If that fails, run the update again with WiFi disabled.

Ok, tried this. I disabled Wi-Fi on the first go. it gets to the same 27% and crashes to the same error message as before, which I read carefully and doesn't contain an error code, but it does say windows could not configure one or more system components.

Closing down that dialogue box undoes the install and restarts the computer

• Options
    Huh. Just for giggles, try creating an extra admin account and doing the upgrade from there.

• Options
    I'll try that. Incidentally, this is what the Media Creation Tool had waiting for me upon restart.

kuaneppk089p.png

• Options
    googling that error gets me here:

https://www.infopackets.com/news/10302/3-ways-fix-install-failed-during-firstboot-sysprep-operation

looks like either your boot partition is out of space or corrupt, or you have some corrupt user data.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    What's the best way to have Windows 10 in a VM? Do I have to have a separate license for it? Or can I use the license I have for my regular PC?

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

https://www.infopackets.com/news/10302/3-ways-fix-install-failed-during-firstboot-sysprep-operation

looks like either your boot partition is out of space or corrupt, or you have some corrupt user data.

What would my paths to resolution of that be?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    What's the best way to have Windows 10 in a VM? Do I have to have a separate license for it? Or can I use the license I have for my regular PC?

Separate license, though if you're just installing it to check some things out I wouldn't worry about running it unactivated. If you really want to use both with one license, you should set up a dual boot instead, since that way you'll only ever be running one instance at once.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Separate license, though if you're just installing it to check some things out I wouldn't worry about running it unactivated. If you really want to use both with one license, you should set up a dual boot instead, since that way you'll only ever be running one instance at once.

I want to have a separate VM for development. My current project requires an absolute ton of setup, and is very fragile. So when I go out of town and still need to work, it's been rather a pain to transfer from my desktop to my laptop. I was thinking having a VM that I can just move from one machine to another would solve that problem.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I want to have a separate VM for development. My current project requires an absolute ton of setup, and is very fragile. So when I go out of town and still need to work, it's been rather a pain to transfer from my desktop to my laptop. I was thinking having a VM that I can just move from one machine to another would solve that problem.

Yeah, that's definitely second license territory, especially since you have a business use for it.

Is there a reason that you can't just RDP in to your desktop?

jothki on
  • Options

Yeah, that's definitely second license territory, especially since you have a business use for it.

Is there a reason that you can't just RDP in to your desktop?

The upload speed on my home internet is garbage, so it doesn't work very well.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Sounds like you're making progress. For my situation, the CPU was downclocking when idle and Windows was seeing a sub-1.X GHz processor. I had to manually go to the MS 1903 page to get it to take.

It doesn't look like that's a problem here, but something to keep in the back of your mind. (This was with my old 4770k)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

might need to do a clean windows reinstall

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    when I upgraded my motherboard and CPU last time, I didn't reinstall Windows at the time. Was feeling lazy, and it booted up just fine and all was normal after I swapped the hardware. Would that be a potential cause?

• Options
    when I upgraded my motherboard and CPU last time, I didn't reinstall Windows at the time. Was feeling lazy, and it booted up just fine and all was normal after I swapped the hardware. Would that be a potential cause?

Could be?

• Options

This is one of those "Yeah, you can do it. But you shouldn't," things I've thought a lot about. I've got so many old games installed that a reformat is going to be kind of nightmarish, but gambling on Windows 10 to accept a new CPU and motherboard just seems incredibly foolhearty.

This is one of those things that have gradually moved me towards console gaming, personally.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Format-and-re-install is practically the default choice ever since plug-and-play became a thing. You can probably get away with a card swap and not have too many difficulties. But a major swap of MB/CPU introduces too many new pieces.

• Options
    Yeah, there really shouldn't be any reason to reformat after upgrading a GPU, especially one from the same manufacturer. Even before our current plug-and-play standards (though go back far enough, and people don't generally have video cards, or if they do they are an ungodly number of disparate standards). CPU and motherboard swaps are an entirely different creature.