As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

1535455565759»

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

Yeah but a lot of them just don't exist in 11 anymore. If you type in "control printers" in a run window you just get the printer settings window.

you can still get to the printers one, actually. you just need to go to the control panel. That is one where there are some legacy controls for businesses running active directory (it me) where the older control panels are necessary.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

The modern settings panel is more than enough for 99% of people. I'm a sysadmin by trade and I never need the control panel anymore on my home machines.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

The modern settings panel is more than enough for 99% of people. I'm a sysadmin by trade and I never need the control panel anymore on my home machines.

Ditto sysadmin/developer by trade. About the only things I still go into Control Panel for are:
    - setting the power profile to the high performance one, basically it's the quick/easy way to turn off sleep/hibernate (tbf: I think I need to figure out how to do this in the new Settings app moving forward)
    - I do still prefer the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs UI to the new one in Settings
    - devices and printers (for work)

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Instead of using devices and printers in control panel, I recommend not ever printing anything ever and swearing off printers.

• Options
    Microsoft has offiically closed the ability for Windows 7 and 8 keys to activate Widows 10/11. Existing activations will of course continue to work, but no more Windows 11 licenses with a Windows 7 key.

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the number of people still doing this is probably pretty close to a statistical zero. On the other hand, Windows 10 came out 8 years ago. And officially the program was only supposed to be for a year, so it was going to end eventually. But just feels weird. Someone had to actually go and turn off this functionality, even though there is probably neither harm nor benefit to keeping it on.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    LD50 wrote: »
    Instead of using devices and printers in control panel, I recommend not ever printing anything ever and swearing off printers.

Man, I wish.

Except when daughter remembers at 9pm she needs to print comic squares from her Chromebook for an assignment due the next day.

Or need to print tickets for a Halloween thing that you're pretty sure can scan your phone but god help you if your family can't get on the hay ride because of you.

We use it maybe every two weeks, but those times are very critical and of course only occur at inconvenient times.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Ditto sysadmin/developer by trade. About the only things I still go into Control Panel for are:
    - setting the power profile to the high performance one, basically it's the quick/easy way to turn off sleep/hibernate (tbf: I think I need to figure out how to do this in the new Settings app moving forward)
    - I do still prefer the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs UI to the new one in Settings
    - devices and printers (for work)

Powercfg -h /off will disable hibernate and kill the hiberfile.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I own a printer. It has only ever been used to print off return labels for online orders.

Oh and I guess I printed my wedding vows on it. But 99.9999% just for return labels.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I bought an ET-8550 from Epson, my first ink tank printer (which is not a fun thing to fill up in a carpeted study, but you become more careful doing so). Though having to print 13"x19" photo prints is a pretty specific use case scenario.

That being said, keeping any sort of ticket, pass, parking pass, airfare document, or what have you on your phone sucks out loud, and I'd print them at my office before I fucked around with thirty different apps or thirty different vendors and their different way of scanning my phone's display.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Just sound for me.

The modern sound options are woeful and barren.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

Man, I wish.

Except when daughter remembers at 9pm she needs to print comic squares from her Chromebook for an assignment due the next day.

Or need to print tickets for a Halloween thing that you're pretty sure can scan your phone but god help you if your family can't get on the hay ride because of you.

We use it maybe every two weeks, but those times are very critical and of course only occur at inconvenient times.

when the person with the scanner tries to scan your phone and it doesn't scan and they look at you like it's your fault like sorry I guess my one of a kind custom iPhone with a home made screen wasn't a good idea to use?

• Options
    Look if I could wave a magic wand and destroy all printers in the world in an instant I'd wave it twice just to be sure.

• Options

Just sound for me.

The modern sound options are woeful and barren.

EarTrumpet takes care of most any sound need I have. Sucks to have another app but Microsoft can't give me what I want so

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Anyone else been trying out winget?

• Options
    I use it a little for work when I setup computers just to make the process a bit quicker. Mostly quick ways to grab Chrome and stuff.

• Options
    There's actually a nice 3rd party tool called wingetui that I've dabbled with. It does what it says on the tin, gives you a UI to manage winget. I use that on my own computer, mostly as a way to know when software needs updates.

• Options
    There's actually a nice 3rd party tool called wingetui that I've dabbled with. It does what it says on the tin, gives you a UI to manage winget. I use that on my own computer, mostly as a way to know when software needs updates.

Well shit I'm grabbing that tonight.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I install as much stuff as possible through winger because it does an extra hash check on the file before installation. I mean, it’s not much, but it makes me feel good.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Win 10 and 11 on sale at Woot, along with Office 2021 (non-365)

https://www.woot.com/category/computers

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Oh, tempting.

Always good to have a few clean keys around.

• Options
    Wow, those are incredible prices. Like OEM from other country prices.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    suspiciously low even

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wow, those are incredible prices. Like OEM from other country prices.

Woot shipping out ancient platter drives weeks later. "It's a computer!"

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Someone else stated that MS themselves are selling keys for $35 on their store but I haven't had chance to check.

• Options
    hope this isn't a prelude to windows 12 being a subscription-based OS -_-

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
  • Options
    I hope microsoft falls on its face and dies in this particular initiative

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Windows will never be a subscription OS, but Microsoft will do everything they can to sell you Game Pass and Office 365 subscriptions.

That app referenced is mostly for enterprise/work customers that connect to remote computers or resources. Microsoft has solutions for businesses that you can have a Windows PC setup provisioned in a cloud instance (or in your own datacenter). This is good for heavy compute workloads, or in situations where you can deploy a thin client type computer and have them log into a cloud instance. Or it is also really good for BYOD environments.

There's also functionality to run a single app through this, so if you have an old app that won't run in Win10/11, or you're running a mac but Jane from HR still needs to access this ancient version of an HR system that is Windows only, you can toss that workload into the cloud and run it there.

there are a billion things, and most of them are related to business workloads.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Windows will never be a subscription OS, but Microsoft will do everything they can to sell you Game Pass and Office 365 subscriptions.

That app referenced is mostly for enterprise/work customers that connect to remote computers or resources. Microsoft has solutions for businesses that you can have a Windows PC setup provisioned in a cloud instance (or in your own datacenter). This is good for heavy compute workloads, or in situations where you can deploy a thin client type computer and have them log into a cloud instance. Or it is also really good for BYOD environments.

There's also functionality to run a single app through this, so if you have an old app that won't run in Win10/11, or you're running a mac but Jane from HR still needs to access this ancient version of an HR system that is Windows only, you can toss that workload into the cloud and run it there.

It wouldn't surprise me if for a subscription fee they expand it to consumers wanting to access their Windows machines anywhere.

• Options

It wouldn't surprise me if for a subscription fee they expand it to consumers wanting to access their Windows machines anywhere.

I think they already do that.