Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

Yeah but a lot of them just don't exist in 11 anymore. If you type in "control printers" in a run window you just get the printer settings window.

you can still get to the printers one, actually. you just need to go to the control panel. That is one where there are some legacy controls for businesses running active directory (it me) where the older control panels are necessary.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The control panel mainly exists now to accomodate legacy applications that need/use plugins that require the control panel. 99% of the rest of the functionality is now redundant and the average user never needs to see the control panel anymore.

Eh, a lot of the control panel controls are still better. The speaker configuration, for example. Legacy control panel lets you test speakers one at a time. New oe tests them all in sequence.

The modern settings panel is more than enough for 99% of people. I'm a sysadmin by trade and I never need the control panel anymore on my home machines.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

The modern settings panel is more than enough for 99% of people. I'm a sysadmin by trade and I never need the control panel anymore on my home machines.

Ditto sysadmin/developer by trade. About the only things I still go into Control Panel for are:
    - setting the power profile to the high performance one, basically it's the quick/easy way to turn off sleep/hibernate (tbf: I think I need to figure out how to do this in the new Settings app moving forward)
    - I do still prefer the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs UI to the new one in Settings
    - devices and printers (for work)

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Instead of using devices and printers in control panel, I recommend not ever printing anything ever and swearing off printers.

• Options
    Microsoft has offiically closed the ability for Windows 7 and 8 keys to activate Widows 10/11. Existing activations will of course continue to work, but no more Windows 11 licenses with a Windows 7 key.

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand, the number of people still doing this is probably pretty close to a statistical zero. On the other hand, Windows 10 came out 8 years ago. And officially the program was only supposed to be for a year, so it was going to end eventually. But just feels weird. Someone had to actually go and turn off this functionality, even though there is probably neither harm nor benefit to keeping it on.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    LD50 wrote: »
    Instead of using devices and printers in control panel, I recommend not ever printing anything ever and swearing off printers.

Man, I wish.

Except when daughter remembers at 9pm she needs to print comic squares from her Chromebook for an assignment due the next day.

Or need to print tickets for a Halloween thing that you're pretty sure can scan your phone but god help you if your family can't get on the hay ride because of you.

We use it maybe every two weeks, but those times are very critical and of course only occur at inconvenient times.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Ditto sysadmin/developer by trade. About the only things I still go into Control Panel for are:
    - setting the power profile to the high performance one, basically it's the quick/easy way to turn off sleep/hibernate (tbf: I think I need to figure out how to do this in the new Settings app moving forward)
    - I do still prefer the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs UI to the new one in Settings
    - devices and printers (for work)

Powercfg -h /off will disable hibernate and kill the hiberfile.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I own a printer. It has only ever been used to print off return labels for online orders.

Oh and I guess I printed my wedding vows on it. But 99.9999% just for return labels.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I bought an ET-8550 from Epson, my first ink tank printer (which is not a fun thing to fill up in a carpeted study, but you become more careful doing so). Though having to print 13"x19" photo prints is a pretty specific use case scenario.

That being said, keeping any sort of ticket, pass, parking pass, airfare document, or what have you on your phone sucks out loud, and I'd print them at my office before I fucked around with thirty different apps or thirty different vendors and their different way of scanning my phone's display.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Just sound for me.

The modern sound options are woeful and barren.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

Man, I wish.

Except when daughter remembers at 9pm she needs to print comic squares from her Chromebook for an assignment due the next day.

Or need to print tickets for a Halloween thing that you're pretty sure can scan your phone but god help you if your family can't get on the hay ride because of you.

We use it maybe every two weeks, but those times are very critical and of course only occur at inconvenient times.

when the person with the scanner tries to scan your phone and it doesn't scan and they look at you like it's your fault like sorry I guess my one of a kind custom iPhone with a home made screen wasn't a good idea to use?

• Options
    Look if I could wave a magic wand and destroy all printers in the world in an instant I'd wave it twice just to be sure.

• Options

Just sound for me.

The modern sound options are woeful and barren.

EarTrumpet takes care of most any sound need I have. Sucks to have another app but Microsoft can't give me what I want so

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Anyone else been trying out winget?

• Options
    I use it a little for work when I setup computers just to make the process a bit quicker. Mostly quick ways to grab Chrome and stuff.

• Options
    There's actually a nice 3rd party tool called wingetui that I've dabbled with. It does what it says on the tin, gives you a UI to manage winget. I use that on my own computer, mostly as a way to know when software needs updates.

• Options
    There's actually a nice 3rd party tool called wingetui that I've dabbled with. It does what it says on the tin, gives you a UI to manage winget. I use that on my own computer, mostly as a way to know when software needs updates.

Well shit I'm grabbing that tonight.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I install as much stuff as possible through winger because it does an extra hash check on the file before installation. I mean, it’s not much, but it makes me feel good.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Win 10 and 11 on sale at Woot, along with Office 2021 (non-365)

https://www.woot.com/category/computers

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Oh, tempting.

Always good to have a few clean keys around.

• Options
    Wow, those are incredible prices. Like OEM from other country prices.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    suspiciously low even

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wow, those are incredible prices. Like OEM from other country prices.

Woot shipping out ancient platter drives weeks later. "It's a computer!"

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Someone else stated that MS themselves are selling keys for $35 on their store but I haven't had chance to check.

• Options
    hope this isn't a prelude to windows 12 being a subscription-based OS -_-

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
  • Options
    I hope microsoft falls on its face and dies in this particular initiative

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Windows will never be a subscription OS, but Microsoft will do everything they can to sell you Game Pass and Office 365 subscriptions.

That app referenced is mostly for enterprise/work customers that connect to remote computers or resources. Microsoft has solutions for businesses that you can have a Windows PC setup provisioned in a cloud instance (or in your own datacenter). This is good for heavy compute workloads, or in situations where you can deploy a thin client type computer and have them log into a cloud instance. Or it is also really good for BYOD environments.

There's also functionality to run a single app through this, so if you have an old app that won't run in Win10/11, or you're running a mac but Jane from HR still needs to access this ancient version of an HR system that is Windows only, you can toss that workload into the cloud and run it there.

there are a billion things, and most of them are related to business workloads.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Windows will never be a subscription OS, but Microsoft will do everything they can to sell you Game Pass and Office 365 subscriptions.

That app referenced is mostly for enterprise/work customers that connect to remote computers or resources. Microsoft has solutions for businesses that you can have a Windows PC setup provisioned in a cloud instance (or in your own datacenter). This is good for heavy compute workloads, or in situations where you can deploy a thin client type computer and have them log into a cloud instance. Or it is also really good for BYOD environments.

There's also functionality to run a single app through this, so if you have an old app that won't run in Win10/11, or you're running a mac but Jane from HR still needs to access this ancient version of an HR system that is Windows only, you can toss that workload into the cloud and run it there.

It wouldn't surprise me if for a subscription fee they expand it to consumers wanting to access their Windows machines anywhere.

• Options

It wouldn't surprise me if for a subscription fee they expand it to consumers wanting to access their Windows machines anywhere.

I think they already do that.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    Huh. So apparently Windows has taken a bunch of files from my computer and put them on the cloud and wants me to pay a subscription to not just brick those folders because they took too much of my crap?

I assumed OneDrive was just a backup thing, but apparently at some point 'On Demand' became the default behavior, so turning it off for my documents and desktop to get under the free cap means they're both completely empty, so I can't unfuck things without jumping through hoops.

And apparently all my settings will just reset with each update and I'll have to manually unfuck this over and over, looking at complaints related to this while hunting solutions.

Clicking the download all files button that'll supposedly get everything local again just freezes explorer and shows no indication that it's actually doing anything. I'd assume it was downloading, but no network traffic.

Go to OneDrive online, look at the 4gb documents folder, manually download it. I get an 8mb zip file.

I think this is the first time I've been genuinely mad at Microsoft or Windows.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 5
    So, I moved my documents and everything else out of onedrive folders and turned off the onedrive stuff. Got it all where it belonged. Took a while since it was moving like 6gb of files around.

Delete the onedrive copies.

Go to check that everything is fine. Everything seems fine.

Empty the onedrive recycle bin so it'll quit screaming at me about storage space.

Turns out everything was not fine, most folders in Documents are completely empty even though everything allegedly transferred. Documents folder is less than half the size it was on OneDrive. Best guess would be that everything missing wasn't local even though everything was supposed to be local by that point, and trying to transfer files that weren't actually there didn't qualify as a demand and thus didn't download them and move them, so it just shrugged and skipped them and didn't let me know.

Kamar on
  • Options
    I had a very similar experience when Onedrive did the same thing to me.

This won't help your missing documents, but you can fully uninstall Onedrive to keep this from happening again.

• Options
    Also you have two Documents folders. One is in /users/OneDrive/Documents, and the other is /users/Documents. Make sure you're looking at the correct one. If you right click the OneDrive icon in your taskbar and go to Settings, you can make sure it's set to download everything locally. Do that first, copy everything to /users/Documents, then turn off and uninstall OneDrive.

Honestly, OneDrive is the biggest reason I install Windows with a local account first. If you first boot Windows with a Microsoft account, OneDrive gets kinda tangled into everything in a really fucky way, but if you do it with a local account you can skip a lot of that hassle. One more way Microsoft is really fucking annoying.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    OneDrive is not backup, it is file synchronization. Sounds like you don't have an actual 365 subscription to utilize the OneDrive Recovery function to revert everything you did. And since you went ahead and emptied its recycle bin, it is permanently deleted on the MS side. Only option left to try is right-click on the OneDrive folder on your computer and select Previous Versions and hope there's a shadow copy listed you can recover.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited June 5
    OneDrive is not backup, it is file synchronization. Sounds like you don't have an actual 365 subscription to utilize the OneDrive Recovery function to revert everything you did. And since you went ahead and emptied its recycle bin, it is permanently deleted on the MS side. Only option left to try is right-click on the OneDrive folder on your computer and select Previous Versions and hope there's a shadow copy listed you can recover.

This isn't Kamar's fault.

What happens is this: Windows 11 is automatically turning on a feature where one drive takes over your my documents folder, and everything in my documents is automatically moved into one drive "for you", and the existing my documents folder structure is removed and replaced with a one drive app managed directory.

This wouldn't be the end of the world, except that Kamar has several gigs of stuff in their my documents folder, and onedrive storage immediately hit the storage cap and failed out. Now they are in a state where the existing documents folder is gone and the one drive folder doesn't have everything because it hit the storage quota.

It's this cool new feature where Microsoft just deletes several gigs of important information right off of your hard drive!

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited June 5
    I never said it was their fault. I stated the fact that because they already emptied the recycle bin there is no other recovery option on the MS side and then offered help by mentioning a last ditch attempt they could try for recovery.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Question for folks with Windows 11. I'm using Profiles in my browsers to manage my multiple accounts. However I keep running into bugs; powershell grabbing the wrong account session and auto-login getting re-enabled with wrong profiles are examples. I was looking at Virtual Desktops but that seems like more of an organizational thing. I was hoping for virtual desktops to be per profile, but I guess that may be asking too much. I can't go the full virtual machine route as it's a laptop and I'm not sure work would approve that.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited June 27
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Question for folks with Windows 11. I'm using Profiles in my browsers to manage my multiple accounts. However I keep running into bugs; powershell grabbing the wrong account session and auto-login getting re-enabled with wrong profiles are examples. I was looking at Virtual Desktops but that seems like more of an organizational thing. I was hoping for virtual desktops to be per profile, but I guess that may be asking too much. I can't go the full virtual machine route as it's a laptop and I'm not sure work would approve that.

Assuming you're using Chrome, if you go to manage profile, there's an option to create desktop shortcut. That is a profile-specific shortcut so it avoids some of Chrome's bad behavior when trying to use multiple profiles.

The "virtual desktop" feature is unrelated to browser behavior. It's just a way to group open applications to only show you related items without the clutter of seeing everything at once. For example, you have Outlook and Word open on one desktop because you are composing a document to mail out, but you have PowerPoint and Excel open in a second virtual desktop for a presentation you will be doing and don't want to accidentally display the content of your mailbox in the meeting.

This badly named "virtual desktop" feature is also unrelated the normal nomenclature of virtual desktops which are full, running virtual machines where you can interact with it as a full desktop experience like a normal PC. The alternative is a virtual machine that has published apps, so you can use those specific apps but have no access to the full OS desktop.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited June 27
    Is there some sort of light weight VM's available these days? I'd like something slightly better than browser profiles, but my last experience with VM's was years ago and the VMware stuff was really clunky, slow, and non-attractive.

I wish swapping profiles was easier in Windows 11. Technically I could just log in with all the accounts, but swapping is always kind of a pain.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45