Options

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Can't break even on AAA games selling 5+ million units to a generation with what, 70 million units in it? How's that gonna work for 2 million VR headsets.

Well, obviously these companies are going to have to get their heads out of their asses so they stop taking losses games that sell multi-million units. Otherwise the entire AAA gamespace is going to collapse, VR or no.

Beyond that, this is only a concern if AAA gaming was the only route to validity. The indie scene is a hotbed of VR development right now and smaller devs have been killing it on mobile for years. Obviously whether or not it actually gets there is anyone's guess, but to my original point, I don't feel like VR needs to sell more headsets than consoles (thus becoming the "preferred way to consume entertainment") in order to be worthwhile.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    i like sliders :(
    The Defenders with Jim Belushi was also great!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    Honestly, I hate VR. It just won't ever be the preferred way to consume entertainment. I think this is the dark side of generations of scientists growing up with Minority Report and Star Trek: TNG. Yes, it probably led to Kinect, touch computer interfaces, and all kinds of other amazing stuff, but not everything will be useful.

I feel bad for Will. It is like selling it all to build a start up around curved televisions.

VR isn't going to die. Ever. It's the dream! It will only get better from here and it has a ton of unique and interesting uses. Comparing it curved televisions seems silly, it's a totally different ballgame. It might die down a bit but eventually it will be way more mainstream. Our current tech probably won't be mainstream but eventually it'll be as common as a game console in people's homes.

I absolutely do not understand this desire for it to go away, the tech is amazing and lets us do new stuff we couldn't do before. Not like traditional games will go away!

It might do a lot of interesting things. But none of them are things I'm interested in doing. And boy is it irritating to have VR shoved down your throat constantly by every single video game media thing.

*shrug*

It's brand new exciting video game tech. It'll split into its own thing when it's big enough, but it won't just be dead forever.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    VR is still the new thing. I never got why people were so upset the Bombcast/Beastcast/et al talked about VR and demos they had had, to the point where they were writing angry letters and Vinny had to try and curb discussion about it.

Are these the same people who got mad about them talking about Destiny? Or DOTA? Like, I don't care about those games either, but I like hearing these people whose opinions I care about talk about stuff they like and why. These games are objectively big deals.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I hate VR. It just won't ever be the preferred way to consume entertainment. I think this is the dark side of generations of scientists growing up with Minority Report and Star Trek: TNG. Yes, it probably led to Kinect, touch computer interfaces, and all kinds of other amazing stuff, but not everything will be useful.

I feel bad for Will. It is like selling it all to build a start up around curved televisions.

VR isn't going to die. Ever. It's the dream! It will only get better from here and it has a ton of unique and interesting uses. Comparing it curved televisions seems silly, it's a totally different ballgame. It might die down a bit but eventually it will be way more mainstream. Our current tech probably won't be mainstream but eventually it'll be as common as a game console in people's homes.

I absolutely do not understand this desire for it to go away, the tech is amazing and lets us do new stuff we couldn't do before. Not like traditional games will go away!
    like vomit

:(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

like vomit

:(

That's not new, Descent's been giving people motion sickness since 1995.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They referenced Dan getting sick on that VR exercise bike thing again on the VR stream today, does anyone remember what video that was from? I'm not able to dig up any information about it.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    They referenced Dan getting sick on that VR exercise bike thing again on the VR stream today, does anyone remember what video that was from? I'm not able to dig up any information about it.

It was a UPF, I'll see if I can go find it.

Yo! http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-04152016/2300-11127/

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    VR is still the new thing. I never got why people were so upset the Bombcast/Beastcast/et al talked about VR and demos they had had, to the point where they were writing angry letters and Vinny had to try and curb discussion about it.

Are these the same people who got mad about them talking about Destiny? Or DOTA? Like, I don't care about those games either, but I like hearing these people whose opinions I care about talk about stuff they like and why. These games are objectively big deals.

Yes, they are

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Yes, they are

I don't generally mind all the VR talk, it just gets old because they spend 30 minutes rehashing the same stuff every time. Oooooh video games got weird but wait where are the games? Repeat ad nauseam.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I listen to a podcast about wrestling and I don't give a fuck about wrestling

I can not care about something and still be interested in it, so I welcome all the VR talk from here until kingdom come

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    I don't know the average age of folks on this board, but, hey, we have been down this VR road twice and guess what, it is a marginal technology for entertainment. Facebook will not let its investment die on the vine, but we are still a long way from this being a "useful" or even fun part of our entertainment portfolio.

Each wave is successfully better. This cycle is much more portable than the last wave, but this one makes folks sick at a stunning rate.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Point being?

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I don't know the average age of folks on this board, but, hey, we have been down this VR road twice and guess what, it is a marginal technology for entertainment. Facebook will not let its investment die on the vine, but we are still a long way from this being a "useful" or even fun part of our entertainment portfolio.

Each wave is successfully better. This cycle is much more portable than the last wave, but this one makes folks sick at a stunning rate.
    I was around then too and your post sounds like you haven't tried rift or vive because the sickness is gone

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Wow, what a pointless response. The point is clear. Lets let this wave pass, and keep working on this until we get it right.

I haven't tried the rift, but even the PSVR is the one that really matters as it is the most consumer accessible.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I didn't want your opinion to be left unresponded to and read by others as fact.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Wow, what a pointless response. The point is clear. Lets let this wave pass, and keep working on this until we get it right.

I haven't tried the rift, but even the PSVR is the one that really matters as it is the most consumer accessible.

Sorry dude but even as a guy that isn't sold on VR myself what you're saying is coming off as a bit uninformed. The new stuff is highly impressive.

• Options
    That is fair, but something can't be a successful consumer product if there is a greater than zero chance that it will make you heave. The GB team has had multiple dry heave experiences.

Also, I distinctly lived through the VFX1, and the believers then sound like the guys now.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »

I was around then too and your post sounds like you haven't tried rift or vive because the sickness is gone

I get instantly, violently ill in vr. Shrug.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    That is fair, but something can't be a successful consumer product if there is a greater than zero chance that it will make you heave. The GB team has had multiple dry heave experiences.

Also, I distinctly lived through the VFX1, and the believers then sound like the guys now.

Sure it can. People get on roller coasters all the time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I was there through all of that too and you're comparing apples and oranges. I don't think that "this is it" for VR but there is more than one rubric for success here and VR is successful on multiple levels.

• Options
    @jclast , we could have a whole separate discussion about how amusement parks make money, but less than half the people who go to amusement parks ride the "rides" and roller coasters only make up a proportion of that.

There is a related and interesting point though which is that your body tolerates motion sickness less and less as you grow older. So, since the video game market is older than most people think, the consumers for VR are aging out or have already aged out. U.S., Japanese, and European demographics are aging rapidly so the market is actually getting smaller. Wow, that is an interesting thought about why the market for this stuff is particularly limited.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The point was not clear- you could have been implying people shouldn't talk about VR, you could have been stating VR is a gimmick, you could have been warning people from being early adopters or even just showing off.
    But, I guess it's now clarified to be C with a touch of D.
    Touch of the D. 8-)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My only experience with VR was a few months ago when the local university was doing a brain study using the Oculus. The virtual world they put me in was basically 4 nondescript colored rooms which had objects that would appear as you got close enough to them. These objects were just floating cubes with a drawing of something like a ketchup bottle on its sides. After I found all of them (16 objects total) I had to look at an overhead map on a computer screen and place icons where I thought I had found each object, and later do the same thing in the VR world. Rinse & repeat 3 more times. I got $30 for it, so that wasn't bad.

By the end, I did think I was starting to get nauseous. The movement speed was not fast at all. They had me use an Xbox 360 controller, but the only controls were Up to move forward, right trigger to change direction of movement, and Y to place a marker. The "I'm getting sick" feeling slowly crept up on me and I probably would have had to stop if I had to do one more round of that stuff.

It was pretty neat, but I've got no interest in owning a VR rig anytime soon. I wouldn't mind playing some proper games/experiences, though.

• Options
    @jclast , we could have a whole separate discussion about how amusement parks make money, but less than half the people who go to amusement parks ride the "rides" and roller coasters only make up a proportion of that.

There is a related and interesting point though which is that your body tolerates motion sickness less and less as you grow older. So, since the video game market is older than most people think, the consumers for VR are aging out or have already aged out. U.S., Japanese, and European demographics are aging rapidly so the market is actually getting smaller. Wow, that is an interesting thought about why the market for this stuff is particularly limited.

I would read the hell out of that research as it sounds super interesting.

Also, I wasn't really being serious - just the first thing that came to mind when thinking of moneymakers that make people heave.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also, I think Gabe and Tycho are trolling us. Just saw today's strip and yeah, if you are in your 40s, then VR is going to be a bit of a gamble.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I don't doubt that the new VR stuff is impressive once you get to try it it. But 1) I will never care about VR until it's a standalone affordable headset and 2) I'm tired of stream after stream of "look at these tech demos".

VR seems like something that would be very much for me since I tend to put immersion at the top of my "why this game is good" priority list, but all it's been so far is people flailing around and doing something "wacky". I don't like toy box tech demos, I like fully explorable worlds. I imagine we will get there someday (hopefully when the standalone tech comes out).

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I don't doubt that the new VR stuff is impressive once you get to try it it. But 1) I will never care about VR until it's a standalone affordable headset and 2) I'm tired of stream after stream of "look at these tech demos".

VR seems like something that would be very much for me since I tend to put immersion at the top of my "why this game is good" priority list, but all it's been so far is people flailing around and doing something "wacky". I don't like toy box tech demos, I like fully explorable worlds. I imagine we will get there someday (hopefully when the standalone tech comes out).

I don't think we'll ever see a high quality headset with controllers and "lighthouses" under $400. There is just too much that goes into it between a high quality pair of screens, having 2 controllers and lighthouses for the good 3D sensing space.

Now maybe in the future some of this stuff like lighthouses and 3D controllers might become more common place in the smart home infrastructure, there could be some interesting augmented reality stuff that could take advantage of them without needing a full VR headset, especially if phones, computers and the house itself can talk to them.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I've been reading about the new Elusive Contract for Hitman that they'll probably try on UPF. Ohhhhh boy.

There's two ways to
    straight-up fail the mission, including killing the target too early and killing the guy that leads to the 2nd objective.
    This will probably be over real fast.

• Options
    That is fair, but something can't be a successful consumer product if there is a greater than zero chance that it will make you heave.

Besides cars and airplanes. Hell, some people get sick from playing games in general.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    oh hey let's tune in UPF...

Fun with Pepper Spray and DOA? And Danny o Dwyer in chat?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    They didn't do a VinnyVania today, did they? I was at work and didn't get to check the site.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My friend got the Kickstarter Rift, and I tried it the day it came out/he got it.

It didn't work.

That's my VR experience. Besides the VR game we had at the arcade I worked at, that nobody ever played.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    You do realize that most people's work, right

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I mean it turned on and ran a game demo thing and played video through the headset and everything.

The VR just didn't...VR. Not sure how to say it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    They didn't do a VinnyVania today, did they? I was at work and didn't get to check the site.

They did. Looks like they're trying to finish it faster, maybe before the year's end.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'll say this for it

Even with the weird tracking drift, London Heist is pretty dang fun

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Jeff's joke on upf about the cyber ghille suit being for hiding in computers is my favorite joke of 2016.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Finished the Shenmue ER. That sure is a game?

This discussion has been closed.