Options

and now his [Overwatch Thread] is ended

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I really had a blast playing this in the Beta. I think I'm going to pick it up at some point, but I need to finish Uncharted 4 first. Also my wife's due date for our first kid is in like two weeks, so my time for games is going to diminish greatly. Though I have thought that Overwatch would probably be a great game to play in short spurts which is all I'll be doing soon.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i'm not sure how i feel about the Devi skin, but at the same time, it looks reeeeeal cool.

I mean, at least she's Indian

I feel way worse about Pharah's Raindancer/Thunderbird skins

aw man blizz why you do me like that
    there are multiple beautiful bird-themed Egyptian gods right there

Kali, even on an Indian, is still problematic, but bah bah

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Zenyatta is probably my favorite support character. I like using the balance between the harmony and discord orbs, my only gripe is that the guy is made of tissue and he feels really slow.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Zenyatta is probably my favorite support character. I like using the balance between the harmony and discord orbs, my only gripe is that the guy is made of tissue and he feels really slow.

I love playing him with a Symmetra on my team for that reason. You'd think that 25 hp wouldn't make that much difference but it seriously makes the world, especially because it joins the rest of his armor pool and recharges with it.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i think the most helpful mei strat i read is that her ice cocoon negates zen's discord orb

saved my bacon many a time in the last couple of games

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the problem with zenyatta is that he dies in a single bodyshot from widowmaker

and typically people are like "man just don't be in widowmaker's sightline" which is a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest about a hero whose functionality is contingent on actually maintaining line of sight with the enemy

dude's not Mercy, if you're not putting rounds downrange you might as well just switch

so yeah, I only play zenyatta while there isn't a sniper, but he's a blast when you're not getting completely shut down

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Zenyatta with Symmetra shields and Torbjorn armor is actually kinda terrifying.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    the problem with zenyatta is that he dies in a single bodyshot from widowmaker

and typically people are like "man just don't be in widowmaker's sightline" which is a pretty ridiculous thing to suggest about a hero whose functionality is contingent on actually maintaining line of sight with the enemy

dude's not Mercy, if you're not putting rounds downrange you might as well just switch

so yeah, I only play zenyatta while there isn't a sniper, but he's a blast when you're not getting completely shut down

Also "stay out of widowmaker's sightline" in general is not really useful advice. Yeah, always stay out of the sightline of a hyper mobile character with a grappling hook while also being useful to your team on the offense or defense. Good luck with that!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Coming from TF2, Widowmaker seems kind of insane. The sniper in TF2 shoots and charges slooooooooooooooooowly, has to unscope after every shot, and his non-sniping secondary weapon might as well be a tickle gun. Widowmaker shoots fast, doesn't leave scope between shots, charges up her shots twice as fast, and her rifle is good unscoped as well. Even I can feel like I'm contributing with her. It's a weird adjustment and I shudder to think what someone who's actually a good sniper could do with her.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Coming from TF2, Widowmaker seems kind of insane. The sniper in TF2 shoots and charges slooooooooooooooooowly, has to unscope after every shot, and his non-sniping secondary weapon might as well be a tickle gun. Widowmaker shoots fast, doesn't leave scope between shots, charges up her shots twice as fast, and her rifle is good unscoped as well. Even I can feel like I'm contributing with her. It's a weird adjustment and I shudder to think what someone who's actually a good sniper could do with her.

the only thing the TF2 sniper has on her is that his gun can eventually kill any character from full health

the same cannot be said of widowmaker

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    i think the best support character by a million miles is Lucio measured by his flexibility and overall utility

everyone else is either weak or situational or requires some sort of concession from the map, the objective, the opponent comp, or their own team

you can get into any quickplay with lucio and be guaranteed to make an impact

Jasconius on
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i think the best support character by a million miles is Lucio measured by his flexibility and overall utility

everyone else is either weak or situational or requires some sort of concession from the map, the objective, the opponent comp, or their own team

A good Mercy is incredibly useful

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I really like Mercy, I should play her more.

But the siren call of D.Va is so strong oh my gosh.

• Options
    Hermano wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

A good Mercy is incredibly useful

didn't say she's not useful. she's just not as gdlk as Lucio, who can make his entire team functionally immortal for n-seconds

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I always liked playing medic in tf2, but I've only barely played mercy.

I kind of want to wait for the average player skill to go up a bit, she's so dependent on having a decent team to play behind.

Whereas with Lucio you can just kinda stay vaguely near your team and mostly do your own thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    lucio also organically generates teamwork in even the most horrendous pubs because

A) Everyone wants that speed boost from spawn
    B) People know that if they stay near Lucio they WILL be healed, whereas with Mercy it's sort of a crapshoot

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Every time I try to play Mercy, it seems I have a team that doesn't understand that having your Mercy constantly get flanked and murdered is not conducive to a good time. So I switch to Torbjorn and hammer my turret to POTG while still losing.

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Every time I play Mercy, I end up flying to a teammate going into a precarious situation, only to have them die as soon as I get there leaving me with a cooldown on my fly away ability.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    pROyEoD.gif

i'm churning about one of these every day now. Not sure if they're good, but they're fun to make.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    They are good.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Man turns out playing this game with people you know for a fact know how to play and can communicate with makes it way better, who knew

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Had a fun potg as Reinhardt just now, missed my charge, but ended up behind enemy lines....ult + hammer = 4(?) kills, I think.
    Let me figure out how to record this thing and upload it

e: I get a message to close FRAPS before launching Overwatch? What?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I think every time I play this I find a new favorite character. First it was Lucio, then Junkrat, then Roadhog.

Now I'm all about that Torbjorn. At least for when I'm on defense. Got my first PotG just from standing in a corner, and I did the same exact thing one match later.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lucio is in fact

the top of the tier list

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The general lists I see put Lucio, Mcree and Reindhart at the top and D.Va at the bottom. The middle bits are pretty much as you'd expect, generically good people like 76 and Mercy are above more niche picks like Symmetra or Zayra.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_inline_o7soe8Zip31rtmyvt_540.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I feel like Symmetra has some design problems, especially compared to Torbjorn. The only reason to use her at all is her teleporter, which is definitely a good enough of a reason to use her, but it's not very fun or interactive. I think her gun should be more useful at long ranges at least, the altfire as it currently exists is utterly terrible. Detailed thoughts:
    Sym and Torb have very similar toolsets: they both create turrets, they both buff their team's health. But while Torbjorn's also encouraged to get into the fray himself by his good weapon, direct combat buff ultimate and his need to collect scrap from corpses to keep the stream of bonus health going for his allies, Symmetra's gun is terrible except in close range ambushes with sentries or teammates distracting the enemy, her bonus health ability is just a boring set-it-and-forget-it buff that doesn't create interesting gameplay (as opposed to how Lucio needs to stay in the fray near his teammates for his passive aura to work, or Torbjorn needs to venture forward to collect scrap to keep replenishing the bonus health he provides with new armor packs), and her whole game plan revolves around charging her teleporter up and then defending it more than being an effective combatant or directly supporting her teammates while being in the fray in the way that Torbjorn, Lucio, Mercy and Zenyatta do. Her teleporter is of course super useful and enough of a reason to use her all by itself, but that seems to have left the designers thinking that because she has that powerful utility she has to be otherwise boring and weak in direct combat.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Had an awesome Roadhod PoTG. Hooked a sniper, shot her dead, then lobbed some right clickes at killed both the people coming to get me.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The general lists I see put Lucio, Mcree and Reindhart at the top and D.Va at the bottom. The middle bits are pretty much as you'd expect, generically good people like 76 and Mercy are above more niche picks like Symmetra or Zayra.

I long for D.va buffs. She's my new favorite character once I started playing her a bunch during release. I wish the Meka's guns were a bit better and that her 500 hp wasn't actually only 250 because 95% of hits on her are headshots. But I always get a ton of damage and eliminations as her, and she's super sticky if you're good with the Light Pistol which is secretly her best gun and I want a hero based around that pistol it's so good.

Lucio seems good enough to put on every team in every situation and make your team better. I've never said "Damn if only that Lucio was someone else" compared to every other hero which has situations which don't favor them. Which I'm not really sure how to fix balance wise, but might need a little poking at.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    does the MEKA actually have a head hitbox? that doesn't really make sense...

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Symmetra's gun is incredible. Her orbs actually body immovable/slow stuff like Torbjorn's turret, bastion, and Reinhardt and it's generally incredible at holding chokepoints cause you can just fire giant orbs through them from a safe distance. Fully charged orbs are also like 20% ult charge per hit.

If you can be sneaky she's also a pretty strong flanker because people are kind of screwed if you ambush them and get a head start with her beam because of how it ramps up in damage the longer it's locked on, and if that doesn't work out and you die, you're still contributing to the team, particularly on defense, cause you're turrets and teleporters don't need you around to be awesome.

Generally there's no point in defending teleporter's in my experience... if junkrat or someone knows where it's at a few turrets isn't going to deter them, you're better off just putting it somewhere clever so the other team has to search for it, or generally just can't find it, that leaves your turrets for controlling useful space, and you for engaging people directly.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    In my first game a teammate went "lol u noob play mercy lucio sucks" and I just said "nah"

Edit: to balance him his heal aura should have a reduced or no effect on himself like the other 2 healers.

rhylith on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    D.Va does good damage, has great mobility, and is incredibly sticky on points with even a little support from allies.

The problem is that she doesn't have any mobility while dealing damage. Removing or lowering the speed debuff while firing would solve pretty much all her problems.

She also generates a lot of Ult charge for the opposing team, which is Bad.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_o7soe8Zip31rtmyvt_540.png

And all of a sudden I feel like there should be a Winston skin where he wears a tie.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

fnvhjDN.jpg

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I see so many people forget about D.Va's rockets and if you don't use those well then that character loses a lot of what makes them good.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I emphatically disagree with D.Va being ranked last or even near the bottom. I think people just don't know how to play her and/or she's mis-categorized as a tank.

She wins pretty much any alleyway 1-on-1 and that's what she's for. She can take reapers and widowmakers out of the game entirely.

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Most of the heroes are super good, and even some non-intuitive and non-standard team comps are really strong. So far when people are whining about who's playing what on our team it's less that we needed to switch to counter something and more that someone on the other team was being a god and it's leading to general frustration and folks are grasping at straws.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Symmetra's gun is incredible. Her orbs actually body immovable/slow stuff like Torbjorn's turret, bastion, and Reinhardt and it's generally incredible at holding chokepoints cause you can just fire giant orbs through them from a safe distance. Fully charged orbs are also like 20% ult charge per hit.

If you can be sneaky she's also a pretty strong flanker because people are kind of screwed if you ambush them and get a head start with her beam because of how it ramps up in damage the longer it's locked on, and if that doesn't work out and you die, you're still contributing to the team, particularly on defense, cause you're turrets and teleporters don't need you around to be awesome.

Generally there's no point in defending teleporter's in my experience... if junkrat or someone knows where it's at a few turrets isn't going to deter them, you're better off just putting it somewhere clever so the other team has to search for it, or generally just can't find it, that leaves your turrets for controlling useful space, and you for engaging people directly.

I strongly disagree about the orbs. They body immobile stuff about as much as every long ranged weapon does. Torbjorn's single spike fire mode for example. Reinhardt can sidestep them easily even with his shield up. The only place they are good is hallway chokepoints, and that's pretty situational and reliant on bad map design or dumb enemies not using flanking routes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

fnvhjDN.jpg

why would that be a head hitbox though
    it's an armored canopy, you're not hitting Dva's actual head

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.