Options

and now his [Overwatch Thread] is ended

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well, as cold as it sounds, that kind of just means zarya is not for you

2 seconds is a very long time in a FPS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    well, as cold as it sounds, that kind of just means zarya is not for you

2 seconds is a very long time in a FPS

I don't think that's really cold....there are plenty of characters that I am bad with and plenty I am good with and they are different ones than somebody else, that's how this game rolls. Heck that is one of the reasons I dig it.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've yet to see anyone make zarya seem good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Alright I totally need that Lucio line where he says "you gotta believe!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XISj03HREFo

If they ever do more skins they need a Lucio skin with an orange beanie

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Were the Omnic monks actually from Nepal originally or did they adopt it as their place of refuge?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I almost never fully charge a symm right click, I have literally run a circle around one as Lucio, it's so hilariously slow at full charge.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    zarya's probably the middle of the road tank in competitive play

not as strong as winston and reinhardt, better than dva and roadhog

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    zarya's probably the middle of the road tank in competitive play

not as strong as winston and reinhardt, better than dva and roadhog
    As far as I can tell the only truly unplayable characters in competitive play are D.Va and Zenyatta, although there are a fair number of characters that seem very fringe pick.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    oh, what's wrong with dva?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Terrible dps, weird reliability issues and one of the worst ults in the game.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Blue map wrote: »

Eh, an Ult that forces the entire team to reposition from range and can heal you for another 500 health ain't so bad. I find it a lot more useful than Pharah's ult, which almost always results in her being killed instantly.

• Options
    also tier lists aren't necessarily a statement of who is Bad, just who is Best

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

i like to think i'm pretty good at Zarya

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I don't think there is tiers in this game....everything is situational. Certain combinations provide direct counters for others.

• Options

And yet for me she is the best/ most versatile tank by far, I like Reinhardt better for pure tanking but she is a great mix of offense and defense.

• Options
    there are always tiers in games with multiple options

that does not mean those tiers cannot be very close together

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also like

The games not even a week old

It's wayyyyyy too early to make definitive statements about tiers

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »

Eh, an Ult that forces the entire team to reposition from range and can heal you for another 500 health ain't so bad. I find it a lot more useful than Pharah's ult, which almost always results in her being killed instantly.
    The problem is it doesn't force people to reposition in a lot of cases. The actual explosion is only active for a fraction of a second, so good players will continue to fight as normal and just duck behind cover for .2 seconds before it goes off in a lot of cases. There are definitely areas where it can be very effective, but by in large it's yet another weird only kind of effective thing on a janky character that already has other problems.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

The problem is it doesn't force people to reposition in a lot of cases. The actual explosion is only active for a fraction of a second, so good players will continue to fight as normal and just duck behind cover for .2 seconds before it goes off in a lot of cases. There are definitely areas where it can be very effective, but by in large it's yet another weird only kind of effective thing on a janky character that already has other problems.

Then you're not launching it from unexpected angles properly.

• Options
    Also like

The games not even a week old

It's wayyyyyy too early to make definitive statements about tiers

though technically true, practically speaking this is the same patch we had at the end of beta and many competitive players were invited and have been able to already tackle the question of what is good in this patch prior to release

however, it is often the case that a competitive tier list would be very different from a "playing solo with randoms" tier list, such as with characters like Bastion, so it is also important to understand that a focus on competitive tier lists are not necessarily telling you everything about the game you personally play

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

This is an incredibly simplistic view to me that was given prevalence by fighting games. It is pretty clear they have gone out of their way to provide characters and interactions that present direct counters to methods of play and specific characters. and this ain't even considering that few engagements are ever one on one. Certain abilities magnify in utility in the presence of the right coworkers.

• Options
    edited May 2016

that's true, I haven't seen you play Zarya! we should rectify that.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

This is an incredibly simplistic view to me that was given prevalence by fighting games. It is pretty clear they have gone out of their way to provide characters and interactions that present direct counters to methods of play and specific characters. and this ain't even considering that few engagements are ever one on one. Certain abilities magnify in utility in the presence of the right coworkers.

Yes.

But mathematically speaking, we can track winrates and see which characters are better.

To super-simplify it, if we have a 15 character game, and 5 characters have a 51% winrate, 5 have a 50% winrate, and 5 have a 49% winrate, there are very clearly 3 separate tiers of character there. Even though these differences are exceptionally minute, you are mathematically more likely to win if you pick a character in the highest tier.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but at the end of the day that's the core idea. Who are the characters that are most likely to win, strictly from a data-driven standpoint.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    You can drop the mech on them from above and they won't know where it's gonna go off, and have to spread out to survive.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options

See these sort of definitive statements drive me crazy, your mileage is clearly varying from others because she doesn't fit your play style but your making categoric statements that the character is weaker. There are tons of characters I am crap with that I see plenty folks rock house with and I don't think it's the character...it is just that they aren't a match for my methods.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I was on a 31-player kill streak with Symmetra while defending on Route 66

it was amazing, but partly because the opposing team had 3-4 Tracers at a time and I was melting them with my primary weapon; you don't need to be able to aim for the beam to latch on and it melts them pretty fast

the entire left side of Route 66 was shut down by me

4 turrets on the corners of the exit at the hollowed out train will catch anyone coming through the train or anyone using the side approach

then bury the other 2 along the route itself

my tips with Symmetra would be:
    - 100% shield uptime on your teammates where possible
    - always have 6 turrets up, even if they aren't all in optimal positioning
    - have clusters of 3 turrets in at least one location; I find 2 per spot is a bit vulnerable and doesn't take the tanks down far enough for them to need to be careful in taking them out
    - drop turrets during fights as well; I've gotten 2 down while fighting off enemies and that's saved my ass so many times
    - your primary fire is fantastic for finishing off enemies and your secondary fire does a lot of damage, even through Reinhardt's shield
    - always have a teleporter down when your ult comes up

strategically, you can opt to shut down an entire route (funnelling enemies through a reduced number of paths) OR be a delaying tactic (the more time enemies spend taking out your turrets, the less they are on the objective or attacking your teammates)

I find when I'm being an effective Symmetra, my teammates die less and not just because of the shielding you offer, but well-placed turrets and/or your own weapons will serve to finish off enemies faster as well and prevent them from pushing as effectively

I really think she should be a Defense class but I get why she's Support

also her, a Bastion and a Lucio on the same team can be a really hard combo to break; I spent a lot of my time protecting our team's Bastion from getting snuck up on

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    blue map watches esports and when he talks about tiers lists and character balance in anything he's talking about it from the angle of the pro level

edit: which, to be clear, is what bahamut was asking about in the first place

TheySlashThem on
  • Options

Yes.

But mathematically speaking, we can track winrates and see which characters are better.

To super-simplify it, if we have a 15 character game, and 5 characters have a 51% winrate, 5 have a 50% winrate, and 5 have a 49% winrate, there are very clearly 3 separate tiers of character there. Even though these differences are exceptionally minute, you are mathematically more likely to win if you pick a character in the highest tier.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but at the end of the day that's the core idea. Who are the characters that are most likely to win, strictly from a data-driven standpoint.

That completely throws out, team composition, player skill, game mode and tons of other variables. That is my point it only holds up under super simplification. I digress though...I really don't want this to go down the road of stupid internet argument.

Agree to disagree

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Just played a couple games with some PA guys. Had a lot of fun, despite a brutal D.Va/Roadhog ultimate combo. Thanks for the invite

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Got this Salvage scrap D.Va skin and it is sweeeeeeet

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    That completely throws out, team composition, player skill, game mode and tons of other variables. That is my point it only holds up under super simplification. I digress though...I really don't want this to go down the road of stupid internet argument.

Agree to disagree

it *does* throw out things like player skill

the conversation was about the pro scene

• Options
    edited May 2016
    yeah I was asking specifically about why the pros don't like her, I know from firsthand experience that she's good at our plebian skill level

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Yes.

Agree to disagree

http://www.hotslogs.com/Default

Here is an example of data-driven tiering based on Blizzard's other game with team composition, player skill, multiple characters, and multiple game modes. On a literal level, some characters just win more than others. That is an unavoidable fact about character-based games.

This is data that you can form statements like tier lists from. I understand the desire to avoid the concept, but this is all tier lists are. Analysis of data to a strict standpoint.

The observation that "D.va is worse than Winston, Reinhardt, and Zarya" is not intended to say Don't Play D.Va. It is intended to say "In the current environment, with the current player skill, and the current understanding of competitive strategy, D.Va is putting up worse results in aggregate than these characters." It is not intending to say D.va is bad.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

that's true, I haven't seen you play Zarya! we should rectify that.

Eventually! This week is kinda rough because I'm packing to move, but Soon!™

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Yes.

Agree to disagree

http://www.hotslogs.com/Default

Here is an example of data-driven tiering based on Blizzard's other game with team composition, player skill, multiple characters, and multiple game modes. On a literal level, some characters just win more than others. That is an unavoidable fact about character-based games.

This is data that you can form statements like tier lists from. I understand the desire to avoid the concept, but this is all tier lists are. Analysis of data to a strict standpoint.

The observation that "D.va is worse than Winston, Reinhardt, and Zarya" is not intended to say Don't Play D.Va. It is intended to say "In the current environment, with the current player skill, and the current understanding of competitive strategy, D.Va is putting up worse results in aggregate than these characters." It is not intending to say D.va is bad.

D.Va having lower win percentages and not being top tier, yeah. Blue Map's overselling it a bit, though.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I just used Torb for the first time, building turrets for defense is fun as shit

Your teammates not knowing what the word "defense" means is still infuriating

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I just used Torb for the first time, building turrets for defense is fun as shit

Your teammates not knowing what the word "defense" means is still infuriating

His rivet gun doesn't have damage falloff, so feel free to hang out near your turret and spam away with it.

Learning that made me enjoy the character a lot more.

Dys on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I like torb a lot, I like how tf2-engineer-y he feels.

And yeah if you can hit people with the spikes you do incredible damage at long range.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Attacking the defense point in King's Row seems so damn near impossible

Whoever sets up wall turrets can set up wall turrets in that room to the left, and if they have a Widowmaker or, god help you, two Widowmakers out in the clearing, they have that spot definitively covered

• Options
    17 kill streak, and yet the thing that lands me the POTG is my turret after I'm killed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCiBsQ7CDo

To be fair, this did win the game for us

This discussion has been closed.