Options

Pokemon Thread: Shaymin you if you don't get your Shaymin through Mystery Gift this month!

• Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Everyone jokes about Team Insight but they seem to have a lot of Vancouver on lockdown. I went out tonight hoping to find an Insight gym to take over only to find that each one was stacked deep with high level Pokemon.

On the other hand I had my first "meeting a bunch of random people at a Lure spot" experience, so the night still turned out pretty well.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Charmy wrote: »
    Everyone jokes about Team Insight but they seem to have a lot of Vancouver on lockdown. I went out tonight hoping to find an Insight gym to take over only to find that each one was stacked deep with high level Pokemon.

On the other hand I had my first "meeting a bunch of random people at a Lure spot" experience, so the night still turned out pretty well.

It also isn't officially released in Canada yet, so all it means is that Insight are a bunch of cheaters!

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

We've talked about Vancouver in the Team Insight Discord a fair bit

• Options
    My friend messaged me that a lure got used in a community about 10 minutes away so I hopped in my car in the pouring rain to go check it out, met him and his sister and brother there

there were...minimum twenty people I would say, chilling out in the rain, catching pokemon. We sat in the gazebo and people came and had conversations and caught mons and trash talked teams that weren't theres and then said peace and went on their way. Pokemon Go isn't even OUT in Canada, and more cars were pulling up as we left (people were still there and I dropped a lure for everyone as a courtesy lure before I left).

this game might be magic, you guys

like honest to goodness magic!!

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Ah, here's the catch.

I live/work too far away from pokestops/gyms to visit them at all.

And I've run out of pokeballs. Am I right to assume that I can't get any more until I spend money?

If so, goodbye Pokemon GO, I hardly knew ye.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It also isn't officially released in Canada yet, so all it means is that Insight are a bunch of cheaters!

The lack of a Canadian release isn't stopping anyone. I've seen a lot of players out already.
    T4CT wrote: »

We've talked about Vancouver in the Team Insight Discord a fair bit

Is the situation here that unusual?

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The trick is that the lure actually just lures Pokemon Trainers

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How do people just know when a lure has been dropped

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Ah, here's the catch.

And I've run out of pokeballs. Am I right to assume that I can't get any more until I spend money?

if you level up you might get some

unfortunately you kind of need pokeballs and pokestops for that, so

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

there are kind of purple floaty petals surrounding the pokestop

• Options

they were just kind of driving around, you can zoom the map out pretty far and you can see on the map, it's super obvious when a pokestop is lured because there's confetti EVERYWHERE

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ah, here's the catch.

if you level up you might get some

unfortunately you kind of need pokeballs and pokestops for that, so

This happened to my brother tonight. So until he has a reason to run into town he can't play Go unless he drops cash on some balls. At least I can hit the one stop near my work if I wanted.

After our pretty shit Pokemon hunt hike this evening he's probably just going to uninstall though. Not gonna go get itchy traipsing through a corn field for a Weedle.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Instinct (Proud member here) controls every single gym in my work and home neighborhoods except for 2, which seem to swap hands daily between us and Mystic. Barely any Valor presence except for one player with a super OP team who rolls into town, takes a few gyms, and is kicked out within the hour.

INSTINCT OR EXTINCT.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Instinct (Proud member here) controls every single gym in my work and home neighborhoods except for 2, which seem to swap hands daily between us and Mystic. Barely any Valor presence except for one player with a super OP team who rolls into town, takes a few gyms, and is kicked out within the hour.

INSTINCT OR EXTINCT.

As a Mystic member I commend your team's efforts, even as I look forward to your defeat on the glorious field of battle.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    My experience with this game is oddly different from what I read online. Like, people are happy about finding pokestops and here there's one every 10 to 20 meters. On the other hand I feel I see very few Pokémon themselves. I'm only level 7 so I don't expect to catch rare stuff, but just the plain quantity feels off. I have also never caught something standing still. Someone dropped a lure right next to my home and the only thing that popped up for me was a rat in 10ish minutes.

As an aside, my main complaint about this game, even obey the server issues is that you can't change the language, it always uses what the phone is set to. And German Pokémon names are stupid.

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

INSTINCT OR EXTINCT.

As a Mystic member I commend your team's efforts, even as I look forward to your defeat on the glorious field of battle.

lol team mystic

the only way team mystic gets invited to the party is if they're in the wait staff

• Options
    I could literally trash talk pokemon go teams all day

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I think I've seen one yellow owned gym in my entire city so far. Yellows clowns

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Ah, here's the catch.

Leveling up gets you pokeballs.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    they just said bi-weekly updates even though that could mean two things and they didn't say which one

what two things could this mean?

Twice a week or every two weeks

I know every two weeks is probably what they meant, but they still didn't say

Also they just put out a statement that the full access thing was a bug, they only take basic info and they'll be reducing the permissions shortly so it can't do anything more

Twice a week would be semi weekly

I looked up the definition, it said it was both

stupid English language

semi-weekly (half-weekly) definitely means twice a week so why does biweekly (two-weekly) even mean that

guess they could've used fortnightly

and it's not like bipartisan means half a party or bisexual means half a gender

but thanks for clarifying either way!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    My mom came home and told me about all the people she saw on their phones at the park today, so I showed her Pokemon Go and how it works.

She's now sitting on the couch reading articles about the game, and think she's about five seconds from downloading it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    My lady startled me out of sleep a little but ago telling me there was something big coming. I resisted the urge to make a dumb joke and asked her what she meant. She told me to check my pokemon app. Sure enough there was a Tauros nearby. She was pretty happy when we both caught it. Less happy after we drove around for 40 minutes trying to find and capture a Pinsir. That was one tricky dick for sure.

I don't know how I feel about this game yet but it sure is something else lol.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Man, the gym stuff is really frustrating if you don't live and/or work in an area that's conducive to putting time into PoGo.

Like, just tonight I decided that, hey, I have a shitload of revives lying around. Let's see if I can grind out the gym that's currently being held by a 1000 CP Vaporeon (I had just caught a 300+ Arbok today, and the rest of my Pokes are in the mid-100's). So I drive across the street from my workplace and find there's a car already sitting there battling the gym. We wave our phones at each other and then get to business grinding the gym down.

I end up having to revive my entire team twice, but we did beat the gym.

But as I'm reviving my team that second time and getting back to the map screen, my heart sinks. The gym is yellow now. I'm team valor. The other car was team instinct the whole time.

They've got a 360+ pokemon in there (ground type, can't remember exactly which), and I give it a shot. But almost my entire team is weak to his basic move, so I get wiped out pretty quick. So I've now burned 18 of my revives and have absolutely nothing to show for it except piddly amounts of XP that I could have gotten by just catching, like, 3 pidgeys or something.

So that's pretty fucking disheartening.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Man, the gym stuff is really frustrating if you don't live and/or work in an area that's conducive to putting time into PoGo.

Like, just tonight I decided that, hey, I have a shitload of revives lying around. Let's see if I can grind out the gym that's currently being held by a 1000 CP Vaporeon (I had just caught a 300+ Arbok today, and the rest of my Pokes are in the mid-100's). So I drive across the street from my workplace and find there's a car already sitting there battling the gym. We wave our phones at each other and then get to business grinding the gym down.

But as I'm reviving my team that second time and getting back to the map screen, my heart sinks. The gym is yellow now. I'm team valor. The other car was team instinct the whole time.

They've got a 360+ pokemon in there (ground type, can't remember exactly which), and I give it a shot. But almost my entire team is weak to his basic move, so I get wiped out pretty quick. So I've now burned 18 of my revives and have absolutely nothing to show for it except piddly amounts of XP that I could have gotten by just catching, like, 3 pidgeys or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN8PKcNGcuI

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

That is definitely a parody site, right?

I mean, the "Meet Pokewalk" section reeks of "This is a goof."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I've yet to ever actually need to use a revive. The gyms will leave my pokes with 1 HP, which is way worse on potion usage.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    Me yesterday:

wWnLSKG.png?1

Unsurprisingly, London is baller for this. Level 17, 62 caught, highest CP 933 Slowbro.

What tracker is this?

Also there's but 150 Pokemon in this game. My Dex only goes up to 133.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah, a little. In situations like this, before you revive everyone, pull up the shop page and hit the shield icon in the upper right. You'll get the gym rewards for that gym at least.

I did this when I was walking around yesterday. Three blues were taking down a red gym and it went neutral as I walked by, so I tossed a low level krabby there and got the rewards, while they fought and cleared my krabby out. :D

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options

this sucks but it sounds like you got played by another player that wasn't on your team

which is shitty but I don't blame the game for that

• Options
    I wonder what it is about this game that makes it so frustrating when you're unable to match another like...player or obstacle in terms of level

Video games always have things that you're unable to do, things that don't scale, to try and get you to work at it more...I think about stuff like MMOs, where you have to work to level someone up, and nobody expects to instantly be able to throw weight with people who have put more time into a particular MMO, because there's just tacit knowledge that it took some amount of effort for them to get there

is it just because the core mechanics of this game feel so simplistic that it feels like everything should be in reach at all times? makes you think

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I wonder what it is about this game that makes it so frustrating when you're unable to match another like...player or obstacle in terms of level

Video games always have things that you're unable to do, things that don't scale, to try and get you to work at it more...I think about stuff like MMOs, where you have to work to level someone up, and nobody expects to instantly be able to throw weight with people who have put more time into a particular MMO, because there's just tacit knowledge that it took some amount of effort for them to get there

is it just because the core mechanics of this game feel so simplistic that it feels like everything should be in reach at all times? makes you think

Half of me really hopes PvP street battles become a thing.

The other half of me sees the headlines of people using the game to lure people into armed robbery and I take pause.

And then I decide I still want PvP Street Battles.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I would say that the annoying thing about having to work for certain rewards is that the work is something that is completely arbitrary - such as having to drive into town to get more revives/potions simply because nobody ever played Ingress in your neighborhood and thus have no access to pokestops

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Me yesterday:

wWnLSKG.png?1

Unsurprisingly, London is baller for this. Level 17, 62 caught, highest CP 933 Slowbro.

What tracker is this?

Also there's but 150 Pokemon in this game. My Dex only goes up to 133.

It's the Samsung S Health default thingie, it's actually quite good! Your dex goes up to the highest number you've got, mine's at 147 for dratini.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I would say that the annoying thing about having to work for certain rewards is that the work is something that is completely arbitrary - such as having to drive into town to get more revives/potions simply because nobody ever played Ingress in your neighborhood and thus have no access to pokestops

this part is definitely annoying -- that interview said they were considering reopening the submission process for data points, which I think would be a smart thing to do once the app has global release -- it gives them an effective idea of where they have gaps that need to be filled in, because way more people seem to be playing/care about this compared to Ingress. But I don't fault them for having a limited jumping off point.

That said, I have to drive to hit everything save one pokemon stop, and that pokemon stop is like....a minimum ten minute walk away if I'm moving at a clip. Most of my leveling has just come from catching and evolution, not stops and gyms. Just going for walks (which is a good thing to do!!) and catching mons along the way works

definitely looking forward to it expanding further into suburbs though, the density of interaction points between suburban areas and urban sprawls is staggering

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ringo wrote: »

this part is definitely annoying -- that interview said they were considering reopening the submission process for data points, which I think would be a smart thing to do once the app has global release -- it gives them an effective idea of where they have gaps that need to be filled in, because way more people seem to be playing/care about this compared to Ingress. But I don't fault them for having a limited jumping off point.

That said, I have to drive to hit everything save one pokemon stop, and that pokemon stop is like....a minimum ten minute walk away if I'm moving at a clip. Most of my leveling has just come from catching and evolution, not stops and gyms. Just going for walks (which is a good thing to do!!) and catching mons along the way works

definitely looking forward to it expanding further into suburbs though, the density of interaction points between suburban areas and urban sprawls is staggering

Oh, this must be my situation. There probably were a lot of people playing Ingress here. I see roughly equal pokestops and pokemon and while always having hundreds of balls is nice, it's not like I can do anything with them.

So far I found two major types of Pokestops:
    1) Art in the public space and since this includes street art and we have cool graffiti everywhere, this is a lot.
    2) "Stumbling Stones". This is a project in Berlin, where everywhere someone lived who was murdered in the Holocaust they put a little stone on the sidewalk with their name on it. As a remembrance sort of thing, it's a real good idea imo, because you see them everywhere and it really drives home the pervasiveness of the Nazi crimes. But literally every one of those is a Pokestop, too, so these are also a lot.

The rest of the pokestops and the gyms are mostly related to public transport, but I haven't been to the actual touristy part of the city, so I assume there's some at sights, too.

Grobian on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    they just said bi-weekly updates even though that could mean two things and they didn't say which one

what two things could this mean?

Twice a week or every two weeks

I know every two weeks is probably what they meant, but they still didn't say

Also they just put out a statement that the full access thing was a bug, they only take basic info and they'll be reducing the permissions shortly so it can't do anything more

Twice a week would be semi weekly

I looked up the definition, it said it was both

stupid English language

semi-weekly (half-weekly) definitely means twice a week so why does biweekly (two-weekly) even mean that

guess they could've used fortnightly

and it's not like bipartisan means half a party or bisexual means half a gender

but thanks for clarifying either way!

I'm used to seeing bimonthly mean "twice a month" regarding comic book releases, so when I saw people using biweekly for the first time about "every two weeks" I got really confused as those are the same thing

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I found an 808 dodrio out in the wild.

Felt like a boss.

• Options
    I missed if it was posted earlier, but SwiftOnSecurity (the original reporter of iOS being jagged with it's account permissions) tweeted that this is actually Google horrifically mislabeling a depreciated API and it sounds like it doesn't actually have access to all those things? So that's good news.

• Options
    edited July 2016

Yeah, but in MMOs you're still able to engage in all the core mechanics. It's just that you're engaging with them at a lower level/complexity.

I mean, it's not like WoW or FF14 force you to do 60 levels of killing rabbits and then you can finally do dungeons and raids. There are lower level dungeons you can do to get nice loot, better experience gains and break up the monotony. So no, you can't fight the high-end bosses at level 20, but you can still at least fight some simpler bosses that give you a taste of what the end-game will be like.

In PoGo, if the nearby gyms are taken up by players who are twice your level and who own Pokes with several hundred more CP than yours, you have no other options. You just straight up can't engage with that part of the game unless you spend a lot of time and gas searching all over town for a chance at finding a gym that's closer to your own power.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.