As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I feel like this would fit in here? Pretty interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/05/20/478817061/for-70-years-a-mug-in-auschwitz-held-a-secret-treasure?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160520
    From the outside, it looked like any of the other mugs in the Auschwitz museum.

But on the inside, this one had a secret — faithfully kept for seven decades.

A false bottom concealed a gold necklace and a gold ring inlaid with stones.

The enameled mug was one of more than 12,000 pieces of kitchenware that Nazis stole from people sent to the Auschwitz concentration camp in occupied Poland.

the Nazis would allow Jews to take only a small amount of luggage. It was a calculated move: If you were going to start a new life, and could only take a small bag, you'd fill it with your most precious possessions.

So when a victim arrived at Auschwitz, the Germans could be confident they'd be able to loot their luggage and find valuables.

On one hand, Cywinski says, that's proof that Jewish families were well aware that their belongings would be looted during their deportation.

But it's also a heartbreaking reminder of how much people didn't know about the fate they faced at Auschwitz.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The inside of a leatherback turtle's mouth is pretty interesting.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Mods?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Mct9aXe.jpg?1

You wouldn't think you'd need a gullet full of spikes when all you eat is jellyfish but there you go

Hobnail on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Maybe spoiler that so people don't spontaneously claw their own eyes out and move to the desert.

• Options
    Fuck

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Seriously, @Hoibnail, spoiler that shit.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Holy inverse echidna

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    It actually does help with eating jellyfish because it keeps them moving along down the esophagus.

Downside is that leatherback turtles accidentally eat plastic bags, too. Yay, pollution!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ on a pogo stick. First Facebook and now here. I didn't need to sleep anymore.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That's so awesome, I love it

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    It actually does help with eating jellyfish because it keeps them moving along down the esophagus.

Downside is that leatherback turtles accidentally eat plastic bags, too. Yay, pollution!

other downside: terrible blowjobs

broken image link
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

other downside: terrible blowjobs

Don't kinkshame

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Holy inverse echidna

inside-out Durian fruit

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Holy inverse echidna

inside-out Durian fruit

Real life Sarlacc?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    bwanie wrote: »
    Holy inverse echidna

inside-out Durian fruit

Real life Sarlacc?

No thanks, I never got into Pokemon.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    An interesting thing I heard about the other day
    The Great Smog of 1952 or Big Smoke was a severe air-pollution event that affected London during December 1952. A period of cold weather, combined with an anticyclone and windless conditions, collected airborne pollutants mostly from the use of coal to form a thick layer of smog over the city. It lasted from Friday 5 December to Tuesday 9 December 1952, and then dispersed quickly after a change of weather.

Although it caused major disruption due to the effect on visibility, and even penetrated indoor areas, it was not thought to be a significant event at the time, with London having experienced many smog events in the past, so-called "pea soupers". Government medical reports in the following weeks estimated that up until 8 December 4,000 people had died prematurely and 100,000 more were made ill because of the smog's effects on the human respiratory tract. More recent research suggests that the total number of fatalities was considerably greater, at about 12,000.

There was a show in BBC called The Supersizers Eat...
    For 6 shows they ate the food and lived the life of someone from that era the six being the Wartime of WW2, Restoration period in the 17th century, Victorians in the late 19th century, Britons living in the 1970s, the Regency period of 1789 - 1821 and the Elizabethan era

This is the one from the 50's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5KSx3WmHQQ
    It does talk about how bad the smog was in London during that era and what they did fix it

bit late, but i'm now binge watching these.

I love Sue Perkins

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Tentacles are taking over the oceans. Rejoice!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Splatoon is the truth! O no

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Octopuses as the next civilisation after humanity screws up everything? Yeah, okay. Why not.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Along with primates and corvids (crows, ravens etc) octopi have shown the ability to use tools and problem solving intelligence.

One aquarium set up a security camera when someone was stealing small sharks from a tank. The camera revealed that the octopus housed in the next tank over would climb out of its tank every night, climb into the next tank, snack on a shark, then climb back into its own tank and look innocent and hungry when the aquarium workers arrived with breakfast.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I love it when animals pick up on human behaviour.

I remember watching a clip of a raven in a zoo. It would open it's own bolt -locked cage just after the keepers made their round, close the hatch behind him and proceed to steal any food he could get his claws on.

Then he would return just in time for his own feeding, making sure to slide back the bolt after he closed his door.

fucker was fat

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Octopuses as the next civilisation after humanity screws up everything? Yeah, okay. Why not.

There's a cloak in Destiny that said that.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Update on that chickadee nest: I managed to check on it at a moment when I guess the parents flew out for food. There were six little nestlings cuddled together in their moss bowl.

• Options
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    So I've always found email spam a little fascinating. Like who sends this shit? Who reads it? How do they get the emails and what happens when you click on the links?

My wife works at a big university and sometimes she helps people with IT type stuff that she can fix without them having to call the IT guy. This morning she was forwarded an email and sent me a screenshot

4380P7j.jpg

This one was so specific, so unusual and indecipherable that my interest was piqued instantly. So I googled JP Monfort and boy howdy

So here's a dude who is convinced he's going to save the world. He's going to be global president in 2050. He's going to cure poverty and solve global warming. All he needs to do is create an intellectual utopia which rules the world with an oligarchic iron fist. He FLOODS university email domains with emails like this ALL THE TIME. Begging professors to join him and change the world.

I'm fascinated by this because it's an actual dude writing actual emails for what he thinks is an actual cause.

#pipe on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I find it funny one of the references to the Professor's name wasn't blanked out

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
  • Options
    Did that guy use a Jason Bourne monologue?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Did that guy use a Jason Bourne monologue?

Looks like the email was "inspired by" Rogue Nation, betting at least half of that screed was copied from it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    That whole email had me mildly amused and then ...
    This message has been typed from Year 2210.

Yeah, ok, talk to me future man; tell me I'm gonna live past forty and you might have someone to cook for you.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/05/26/henry-heimlich-finally-uses-famed-maneuver/85003350/
    When he heard that a resident was choking, Perry Gaines, maître d’ for the Deupree House dining room, ran toward the table.

Gaines has been trained in the Heimlich maneuver and has performed it at least twice in the two years he has worked at the Hyde Park senior living facility.

When Gaines arrived at the table, Dr. Henry Heimlich, a 96-year-old resident of the Deupree House who invented the famous technique for clearing a blocked airway, was standing behind the woman, ready to perform it.

Typically, a staff member would do it. “But,” Gaines said, pausing, “it is Dr. Heimlich.”

• Options
    Heimlich also thinks his maneuver will do all kinds of crazy shit like save people from drowning and cure cystic fybrosis.

He also thinks that getting malaria will cure your HIV.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah but he also came up with a pretty good way to make people not choke to death so we just pretend that was it

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Radiolab had this little piece about him:

radiolab.org/story/heimlichs-maneuver/

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    They don't even call it the Heimlich maneuver anymore, on account of him being kind of weird about it

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    In NZ the Heimlich maneuver isn't used any more as it is too dangerous.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    yeah you can pretty easily hurt someone by using it

whether a broken sternum is better than choking to death on an especially ambitious bite of chicken, that's for you to decide.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    typically speaking, broken ribs tend to heal up better than being dead

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    typically speaking, broken ribs tend to heal up better than being dead

The real danger is cracking the xiphoid process and piercing the pericardium.

This discussion has been closed.