Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    We have an elevator where the floor you enter on is B, the first floor is cunningly labeled M, and the floor labeled 1 connects to level 2 of the next building (which DOES have a G, if you were wondering). I once spent two hours in the sub basements down there, looking for the mail room for the entire school of engineering and applied sciences (which isn't listed on any directory).

It could be a deliberate weeding process, but I prefer to think it's a relic of a wormhole collapse some time in the 50s.

This reminds me of some very confusing buildings I've spent time in that were built on hills where there were 3 different ground floor levels depending on which side of the building you were on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    one of my most common dreams is trying to navigate a university and find a class that just seems impossible find.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    the idea of being in a two story house, two floor building, and it not having a second floor is absurd

Sure there are numbering and listing systems you could try to shoehorn in, or you can take how people live and interact with the building and base the system off that

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    the idea of being in a two story house, two floor building, and it not having a second floor is absurd

Sure there are numbering and listing systems you could try to shoehorn in, or you can take how people live and interact with the building and base the system off that

If it's just two floors do you even have numbers? It's just upstairs and downstairs.

broken image link
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Want to talk crazy? Lets talk Paternosters! I want to ride in one so bad! It's one of those things that just screams "Get Maimed: The Ride!"

https://youtu.be/w8-RdjCll0w

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm not usually one to be impressed by knife-point graffiti, but that's some pretty impressive knife-point graffiti.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of the manbelt at my old job. Literally just a conveyor belt turned vertical, with a step for standing on and a handle to grab. Went from the ground floor to the mezzanine, and was open air. E stop was a rope along the side, if you grabbbed it the whole thing stopped.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Want to talk crazy? Lets talk Paternosters! I want to ride in one so bad! It's one of those things that just screams "Get Maimed: The Ride!"

So, turns out, if you jump out too early, you can stop all the paternosters in the entire town hall. And then you and your mother have to do the doubles 100 meter nonchalant walk towards the nearest exit tout suite.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    bumble bees are so gosh dang adorable

Hey that's the paternoster I rode every weekday for 3 years!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Is that the elevator's answer to the escalator?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is that the elevator's answer to the escalator?

It's the pre-industrial answer to the elevator.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    This only raises more questions!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Oh hey I did my work experience at the Arts Tower! And worked there for a little bit afterwards too, in the Architecture and Landscaping Printing Department. This was what, 13 years ago now? Great job though. Loved riding the Paternoster system haha

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Walking to University when I was 20, I'd usually walk along Lambton Quay to the glass elevator, take it to the 7th floor, walk to the other side of the building and walk out at street level on The Terrace.

Why yes, my city did build its major downtown commercial business/government district directly over a major faultline escarpment, why do you ask?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

This is nightmare fuel for me

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Oh hey I did my work experience at the Arts Tower! And worked there for a little bit afterwards too, in the Architecture and Landscaping Printing Department. This was what, 13 years ago now? Great job though. Loved riding the Paternoster system haha

I was there 2001 - 2004 sooooo yeah, 13 years ago too! My degree is in architectural studies so hey we may have crossed paths!
    Prohass wrote: »

It was always a great place to take visitors! All my family rode it at least once.

• Options

I was there 2001 - 2004 sooooo yeah, 13 years ago too! My degree is in architectural studies so hey we may have crossed paths!

It was always a great place to take visitors! All my family rode it at least once.

All I read is that your family rode in it once and never again. Because they got sliced into bits, or taken by the blackness of the exposed interior of the elevator shaft.

What im saying is your family is ghosts now

• Options
    edited February 2018

Did you try to get something printed during the crunch time? Pass a USB with all the stuff on it a teenage boy sat behind a desk? That may have been me!

Solar on
  • Options
    AH CHUBBY NO SHELL TORTOISE BUDDY (i have no idea if this animal is even slightly related to tortoises but that's what it looks like)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Please tell me this building had ample stairs.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The Paternoster Is Mandatory

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    AH CHUBBY NO SHELL TORTOISE BUDDY (i have no idea if this animal is even slightly related to tortoises but that's what it looks like)

Better pics
    ucbixbl9nswl.png

But the land of where it probably lived was rolling hills of moss and small lakes and rivers

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Okay, so reading that I thought it meant that these were actually gigantic. Like, "this animal was the size of these 100ft tall trees"

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How does such a creature even eat?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How does such a creature even eat?

It probably was a skimmer as I said moss was everywhere then

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    They think flowering plants/trees didn't crop up until sometime during (one of) the dinosaur eras. That must've been a hella weird world.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    They think flowering plants/trees didn't crop up until sometime during (one of) the dinosaur eras. That must've been a hella weird world.

This is after the Jurassic age just before the Triassic the rainforest collapse lead to a giant desert in the continent interior with lush rolling hills of moss and fungi on the edges to the sea

5qvs2196oqkj.png

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really want to just imagine that world

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That creature doesn't really have the skull structure of a skimmer though.

• Options
    That creature doesn't really have the skull structure of a skimmer though.

Still this does but not the teeth for it
    3kn8zxq53lqo.png

• Options
    Also the not a dinosaur more of a proto mammal dimetrodon lived in the interior
    uwzlw0a59ghc.png

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

They had these kinda proto-trees well before that. They didn't flower or fruit, they just sprayed spores out into the wind.

Fun fact, we now burn them for fuel as coal!

• Options
    Also Permian era was one of the first Ice ages for this planet

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Please tell me this building had ample stairs.

I didn't know and didn't care, who wants to use boring stairs when you can use the Paternoster!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Are you living in Europe and are wondering why your alarm clocks and oven clocks are not on time lately (like I did)?

Well looks like Kosovo and Serbia are to blame

https://platts.com/latest-news/electric-power/london/kosovo-serbia-imbalance-impacting-european-system-26903978

This even caused the Dutch to cancel their monthly test of their air alarm system

https://telecompaper.com/news/electricity-network-issues-cause-malfunction-for-monthly-dutch-air-alarm-test--1235133

In short: A lot of clocks use the frequency of the electric power grid to keep time. Lately the frequency was abit lower than usual becuae of a lack of power in the system causing the clocks to lag behind.

• Options
    That's amazing, and it might finally explain why I had a digital clock that constantly lost time when I lived in an ancient house with dodgy wiring.

• Options
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I get the worst feeling that humanity won't last the rest of this century

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I get the worst feeling that humanity won't last the rest of this century

I mean, that depends on what you see wiping everyone out

I'm pretty sure people eating dumb stuff and getting hurt/dying from it has been a problem since the dawn of humanity, if not even earlier

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    well that was sort a jokeish statement but jebus people. have some common sense

This discussion has been closed.