As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Your move, Titicaca

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The one on the left is definitely saying, "How you doin'?"

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Your move, Titicaca

Admit it

you just wanted an excuse to say “Titicaca”.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Heh. They said "Titicaca."

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    titicaca has floating islands so there

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In 1981, the Cold War was in a particularly nasty phase. The Polish Crisis was underway, and it was clear to everyone that a new phase of belligerent nuclear buildup was in the very near future.

It was at this point that a professor specializing in negotiation and conflict management named Roger Fisher suggested one of the wildest yet oddly compelling deterrents to nuclear war I've ever heard. He proposed that the government surgically implant a capsule containing the nuclear launch codes into the pericardial cavity of a volunteer. This volunteer's full time job would be to hang around the president, wearing a big old knife on their belt and waiting for nuclear war to be declared.

If the president wanted to launch the nukes, they would have to request the knife from the volunteer and personally butcher the person they'd spent their entire presidential term with in order to retrieve the codes from their chest.

The idea was that if someone was going to kill hundreds of millions of people by giving an order, they should have to kill at least one person with their own hands.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If you look at Lake Baikal on a map it doesn't seem that big, but it has only slightly less water in it than all five Great Lakes combined. I also seem to remember an article in an old Nat Geo where they said every time they do a biome study on it, they find several new species of insects, birds and fish that don't live anywhere else on the planet. The place is fucking fascinating.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm lloking up card decks from history. Are there any places to buy reproductions of old decks? Recommendations for particular decks? Most decks I have are fairly ratty and usually have advertising (Fly Air NZ) or moral messages on them (remember to look after your kid!). It'd be nice to have some fancy decks to get out when we have guests.

Also, it is funny to me that Americans invented the Joker. "This beats everything, I win."

• Options
    Seems pretty American.

• Options
    After doing some searching it seems like most reproductions are done through kickstarter. There was one company that did a few but they no longer exist. One kickstarter by another guy is in the middle of fulfilment, but he's gonna sell it through a storefront after fulfilment.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Your previous post about those cards is partly what got me thinking about it!

Cards are real cool. And it's neat how they've evolved over time in fairly organic ways. Like, why Clubs? Why Hearts? Why anything? It's interesting how as cards got passed around, different cultures interpreted the symbols in different ways. Which were then in turn interpreted as different symbols again as that deck was passed around.

Edit- i should have paid the interesting thread tax.

Here: have you ever wondered why we call clubs "clubs" even though they don't look like a club?

The English use a French deck. But the French call clubs "clover". Which makes sense. It totally is a clover.

But... the first decks in England were Italian decks. Which have a club. So when we changed to the French deck we kept the name.

The German decks have something similar. Their decks don't have an ace. But (and I forget some of the details here) after the German decks lost the Ace a certain French game became popular. This game used the Ace. So the Germans used the Deuce as the Ace. Which is why a Deuce can also be called an Ace in Germany.

Oh. And our spade is the French Pike. Which makes sense again.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    For over 30 years, silly Garfield the Cat phones have been washing up on a French coast. They've just now figured out the source, kinda.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    For over 30 years, silly Garfield the Cat phones have been washing up on a French coast. They've just now figured out the source, kinda.

It's clear sailing for our precious cargo!

...The Garfield phones?

Aye, the Garfield phones.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I'm lloking up card decks from history. Are there any places to buy reproductions of old decks? Recommendations for particular decks? Most decks I have are fairly ratty and usually have advertising (Fly Air NZ) or moral messages on them (remember to look after your kid!). It'd be nice to have some fancy decks to get out when we have guests.

Also, it is funny to me that Americans invented the Joker. "This beats everything, I win."

https://www.dkngstudios.com/store/dkng-black-wheel-playing-cards

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    They were reported to be removed alive so the bees are ok I know all of one of you was concerned about that.

At least she didn't get hives.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    D:

D:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I've now got three decks of cool old cards.

1) the 15th C Flemish Hunting deck. Which was the most expensive yet also the lowest quality. These are roughly hand cut, which tbf, is probably needed due to their unusual size and shape. Apparently there's a better version of the deck you can buy from the Metropolitan Museum. It has the museum logo watermark on it but it is the best quality version.

2) the 14th C Morsican deck. These were a kickstarter project to make coloured versions of the Morsican deck, plus add some original art to fill in some of the gaps. One complaint is that I wish they'd have been a little more colour coded. Maybe it is? But it isn't obvious. This one is probably my favourite as it is very legible. It's also a nice half way point between modern decks and the next deck that just arrived today...

3) the 14th C Mamluk deck. Which is very nice to look at and good quality. Trzes Art did a fine job vectorising the old cards.

Am I going to play card games with these? I hope so, but it will require people who are ok with older art that is not as legible as modern cards. You can't tell at a glance what you have in hand and often need to count. But even if they're just tools to do show and tell with I'll be quite happy. It's neat and interesting to have some history to share with people.

In other news, I've got high (enough) resolution images of the Pasttime deck from the library of Columbia. I'm currently working out how to convert them to black and white as they originally were, but I might just get them printed as they are. I'd like to do more of the decks but the Pasttime deck was fun and this card in particular convinced me that I needed to do it first.
    DHPpNRj.png
    (Not high resolution.)

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    How comes most of the S's are the old elongated F but there are still some actual S's in there?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The "long" form was only used in the middle of words or as the first letter, and it also only replaced the lower-case 's' and not the capitalized version.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

• Options
    Oh I never knew the term for it was the long S. I did really like Futurama's joke of "ftupid fhithead" though.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I bet you did, pinseldorf

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    At least she didn't get hives.

This is pure gold. Bravo!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    CccUFdF.jpg?1
    Cats Suggested as The Fifty-three Stations of the Tōkaidō, Utagawa Kuniyoshi, 1798 - 1861

That's a lot of cats

• Options
    edited April 2019
    tynic wrote: »

Yeaaaaah, Taiwan makin’ creepy pasta headlines, woooooooo 🇹🇼

sarukun on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think the green head and thorax is quite attractive

I guess beauty is in the eye of the bee holder

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the green head and thorax is quite attractive

I guess beauty is in the eye of the bee holder

No no, bees are in the eye of the beauty holder.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    You’re all in trouble

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    You’re all in trouble

but i was just the passenger!
    SUSPENDED

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yes hello I would like to try some of this 3000 year old bread please

• Options
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

How am I supposed to get to sleep as over stimulated as I am now?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That's pretty rad! I wonder if the yeast is significantly different from other, say, wild yeast spores in the area in the modern age?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Really, it's the "and probably other things" I'd be worried about.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The baking process would likely eliminate most of what you'd expect to find I'm sure, but some mold spores are pretty tough... It'll probably turn out fine. If the baker suddenly starts spewing locusts out of their mouth and turning into Angry Sand we'll know it was a mistake.

This discussion has been closed.