As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    Pete Buttigieg's dad is from Malta.

His name means Big Chickens!
    remember THAT! (I will)

tynic on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Halloween might be over

but corn?

corn is forever

LIRr5OQ.jpg?1

"... [the] ramosa mutations affect corn's architecture — such as whether it's one cob or a 'tree' of cobs"

from fangmeli's thread on twitter about some spooky scary bloodborne corn

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm deeply fascinated by maize to the point where I want to study human prehistoric agriculture/horticulture for the rest of my life

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Why did they bother to breed it? It was such a bad plant for so many centuries!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Was? It kind of still is.

• Options
    Don't talk to me or my elote son ever again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Halloween might be over

but corn?

corn is forever

LIRr5OQ.jpg?1

"... [the] ramosa mutations affect corn's architecture — such as whether it's one cob or a 'tree' of cobs"

from fangmeli's thread on twitter about some spooky scary bloodborne corn

Oh, excellent. The expansion is out!

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

So, I am probably crossing some streams here and getting some facts wrong, so just keep that in mind, but I recall hearing somewhere that the origin of the chicken as a farm animal is that an ancestor of the chicken and some kind of corn-like plant got themselves into an evolutionary arms race. The plant reproduced by spreading kernels around itself, and the chickens, naturally, went "hey, free food". The plants responded by developing a longer cycle between kernel drops, and the chickens responded by developing a reflex where they didn't even bother producing eggs until they'd gorged themselves on these particular seeds. Humans came along, went "hmmm," as humans do, and tried seeing what happened if they rounded up a bunch of chickens and dumped various grains on them. It turned out that they could keep the chickens in the berserk estrous state all year long, which resulted in bonus protein in the form of extra eggs.

I wouldn't be surprised if the origin of corn as a farm grain were somewhere along the lines of "it's what makes the chickens lay eggs, so we ought to make sure there's plenty of it", which eventually led to human consumption.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's actually bamboo, chickens are from Asia and maize is from Central America

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Malta is a fantastic place to visit

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Platy wrote: »

In that case I'm gonna fall back to "it beat starving". :lol:

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the origin of corn as a farm grain were somewhere along the lines of "it's what makes the chickens lay eggs, so we ought to make sure there's plenty of it", which eventually led to human consumption.

Yet sadly not to humans laying abundant delicious, nutritious eggs.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

*screams*

This is horrifying on so many levels.

They look a bit like teeth in black and white.

vmr1r4gw9ql3.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    If humans laid eggs, would eating one be cannibalism?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    If humans laid eggs, would eating one be cannibalism?

That depends - is swallowing ejaculate cannibalism?

• Options
    Well, I'm sure we all agree here that life begins at conception. So I guess it really depends on whether or not humans are capable of laying unfertilized eggs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

remember THAT! (I will)

What? No, it's Father of Chicken. At least literally. It's more like "Poulterer."

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Well, I'm sure we all agree here that life begins at conception. So I guess it really depends on whether or not humans are capable of laying unfertilized eggs.

Yep

Every four weeks or so

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2019

remember THAT! (I will)

What? No, it's Father of Chicken. At least literally. It's more like "Poulterer."

my source on this is Maltese born and raised, but I might just have misremembered. Or he was playing fast and loose with the translation for maximum humor,

tynic on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Malta is a fantastic place to visit
    They got them small dogs to fit on the small island

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSekwyS4Ns

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I highly recommend Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga Of the Bird That Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler.

Despite the question mark/colon combo, it is an extremely readable microhistory that will teach you a lot about Southeast Asia and also about this weird stupid flightless bird that we like to eat so much of.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ooohhh.

I love those types of book. I devoured Salt.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    if you're into that might I also recommend

9781582344775.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I highly recommend Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga Of the Bird That Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler.

Despite the question mark/colon combo, it is an extremely readable microhistory that will teach you a lot about Southeast Asia and also about this weird stupid flightless bird that we like to eat so much of.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's my Dad's christmas present sorted

• Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Ah, a Blue-Footed Gangsta Coot.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

remember THAT! (I will)

my source on this is Maltese born and raised, but I might just have misremembered. Or he was playing fast and loose with the translation for maximum humor,

Grrr. The last time I looked this up, this link worked, but now it looks like it's paywalled. And just searching for it gives me a whole bunch of stuff about Chik-Fil-A, which, of course.

I did save this quote, though: "Surnames related to kunyah names with zoological connotations include: Buttigieg (< Abū l-Dağāğ(ī), comprising dağāğ [or diğāğ, duğāğ ] meaning ‘chickens’, ‘domestic fowls’, hencereferring to a thriving poulterer)"

It makes sense. Abu x literally means father of x, but it's often used idiomatically to say that the person is known for x.

Here's a video about that phenomenon works in Lebanon, at least. Relevant bit at 1:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twdhJ01JWAQ

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    AgpAUhM.jpg
    The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa (alternatively Saint Teresa in Ecstasy or Transverberation of Saint Teresa; in Italian: L'Estasi di Santa Teresa or Santa Teresa in estasi) is the central sculptural group in white marble set in an elevated aedicule in the Cornaro Chapel, Santa Maria della Vittoria, Rome. It was designed and completed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, the leading sculptor of his day, who also designed the setting of the Chapel in marble, stucco and paint. It is generally considered to be one of the sculptural masterpieces of the High Roman Baroque. It depicts Teresa of Ávila.
    I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the iron's point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it. The soul is satisfied now with nothing less than God. The pain is not bodily, but spiritual; though the body has its share in it. It is a caressing of love so sweet which now takes place between the soul and God, that I pray God of His goodness to make him experience it who may think that I am lying.

Metal

• Options
    now that's what I call fuckin'.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Anyone got a cigarette

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    And the people did seek to kink shame Teresa, but there came a sound as of a great tearing of the heavens. And the voice of GOD spoke unto them, saying "Thou shalt not yuck the yum of another, else thou be without yums thyself." And the people thought upon their own yums, and their gaze was downcast, and dust was in their throats.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I can't find the bird thread. LOOK AT THIS BIRB

I DIDN'T SEE THESE I LOVE THIS BIRB

and all birbs

BUT THIS BIRB IS AMAZING

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm too lazy to go find it now, but there's some interesting writing out there about how extremely sexual a lot of female catholic-y writing was for a certain era there. There's a lot of very fervent descriptions of christly love that sounds like, well, mostly like descriptions of wet dreams. Especially like nuns with vows of chastity who instead develop this rather involved sexual vocabulary all centered around Jesus Christ.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to go find it now, but there's some interesting writing out there about how extremely sexual a lot of female catholic-y writing was for a certain era there. There's a lot of very fervent descriptions of christly love that sounds like, well, mostly like descriptions of wet dreams. Especially like nuns with vows of chastity who instead develop this rather involved sexual vocabulary all centered around Jesus Christ.

Erotic fanfic is of all ages apparently. I need to study this further.
    Sometimes fanfic is so good it becomes part of the canon, I wonder if this has happened in any of these instances.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It turns out if you willfully suppress your natural urges, they tend to make themselves known in other ways.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I might write more later but there is a huge cultural/social element to it

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    It turns out if you willfully suppress your natural urges, they tend to make themselves known in other ways.

It's like whack-a-mole, except the mole is into it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Was? It kind of still is.

Shit this thread disappeared from my view for a bit.

It's not really bad necessarily, it's just that the world (in particular the US) has decided to make corn _the_ crop. We feed it to animals and ourselves because it's one of the most nutrient dense grasses we have access to.

Humans have done to corn what we've done to rice, barley, oats, rye, wheat, etc. Corn was just the most successful of those genetic modifications we've done. You probably don't want to subsist off nothing but corn, or put it in every single food you have, but cereal grains are one of the reasons for the success of human civilization right up there with fire, dogs, and antibiotics. In terms of success of our species, corn itself has played a huge role.

Obviously if you want to make it past 40 you probably don't want to eat it the way we currently do, but making it past 40 wasn't a huge concern when the main issue humans struggled with for ~200,000 years was not dying because you couldn't find enough food for 17 days straight. Even then, in terms of nutrition it's not horrible, and the current sweet corns we eat today are not what we've always eaten. It's just not the best at any one particular thing, but it's a great crop for survival.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.