As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also note that corn is amazing compared to old world grains. Like 2 or 3 times the food value of most of them per a unit land. The only other food crop close is potatoes.

We often overlook that one of the biggest thing the Colombian exchange gave Europe was a vastly better diet.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Also note that corn is amazing compared to old world grains. Like 2 or 3 times the food value of most of them per a unit land. The only other food crop close is potatoes.

We often overlook that one of the biggest thing the Colombian exchange gave Europe was a vastly better diet.

Which are also a new world crop!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I think the funniest shit in the world is how the tomato is a new world fruit, yet we associate it with Italy.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A lot of what we consider "traditional" European food is heavily reliant on new world species, it's pretty funny.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    And the people did seek to kink shame Teresa, but there came a sound as of a great tearing of the heavens. And the voice of GOD spoke unto them, saying "Thou shalt not yuck the yum of another, else thou be without yums thyself." And the people thought upon their own yums, and their gaze was downcast, and dust was in their throats.
    "Let he who is without kink cast the first stone.

But not at Frank, for he gets off on that and we don't have time right now to handle the clean-up."

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I think the funniest shit in the world is how the tomato is a new world fruit, yet we associate it with Italy.

If I recall my history/lit classes correctly, tomatoes were considered poisonous in the days of Shakespeare, which is why we have the tradition of throwing tomatoes at bad performances. The reason they were thought to be poisonous is the acid in the tomato juice would cause some of the lead in the dishware of the time to be leeched, so eating tomatoes caused lead poisoning.

The association of tomatoes with Italy comes from the 1800s, when Italian immigrants in America would cook with tomatoes and the more widely available meats. So, Italy became associated with tomatoes without involving the country of Italy at all.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    A lot of what we consider "traditional" European food is heavily reliant on new world species, it's pretty funny.

European food sources were not super great, they even had a hard time getting enough salt in their diets which is why the spice trade was so important to everyone in western europe to the point where wars were fought over access to it.

They did have a smattering of fruits, some vegetables (mostly brassica/mustards), some grains, and lots and lots of garlic.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Cuisine without chilies sounds utterly forsaken utterly bleak

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    If I recall my history/lit classes correctly, tomatoes were considered poisonous in the days of Shakespeare, which is why we have the tradition of throwing tomatoes at bad performances. The reason they were thought to be poisonous is the acid in the tomato juice would cause some of the lead in the dishware of the time to be leeched, so eating tomatoes caused lead poisoning.

Still best to avoid them, just in case

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Tomatoes are also related to nightshade, if o recall correctly, which are poisonous

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Tomatoes are also related to nightshade, if o recall correctly, which are poisonous

Same with potatoes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    My favorite probably apocryphal potato story is that one of the German princes was trying to introduce potatoes to his realm but no one wanted to eat or grow this gross dirt lump. So he built a fancy fenced garden for his estate to grow potatoes and put it under heavy guard, but gave the guards instructions to be extremely lax. Under the assumption that the prince's new heavily guarded garden must have some really valuable new plants the townsfolk snuck in and stole a bunch of the plants for their own gardens and sold them to Farmers.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah, this is actually probably more of the reason for their historically bad reputation than their talent for leeching the lead out of pewter plates. Also notable in the nightshade family is the mandrake, which is not only poisonous but also has a lot of folkloric baggage associated to it.

The thing about throwing tomatoes is apocryphal though. While throwing rotten vegetables is a time-honored tradition, we don't have any reference to tomatoes specifically until the late 1800s. Rotten eggs would have been more likely in the Globe.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

Still best to avoid them, just in case

There's a lot of weird food related issues related to cookware. I remember reading something that mentioned that the dislike of pork has a lot to do with early human society using early styles of clay pottery which had a habit of "trapping" things like trichinella and spreading it over multiple meals. Which wouldn't have happened with a more "primitive" method of cooking like a grill/spit/kalua, and also didn't really exist in the other animals we were domesticating either (they were less slovenly so to speak).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Pigs actually prefer clean loving to being trapped in a muddy filthy cage

They will wallow in mud to cool off if they are too warm

Studies have also shown that most pigs are smarter than most dogs

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Yeah, this is actually probably more of the reason for their historically bad reputation than their talent for leeching the lead out of pewter plates. Also notable in the nightshade family is the mandrake, which is not only poisonous but also has a lot of folkloric baggage associated to it.

The thing about throwing tomatoes is apocryphal though. While throwing rotten vegetables is a time-honored tradition, we don't have any reference to tomatoes specifically until the late 1800s. Rotten eggs would have been more likely in the Globe.

I find it completely unsurprising that the US education system taught me apocryphal knowledge. I am shocked! Shocked!

• Options

Yes that is all true. They're not dirty but people a long time ago thought they were.

But imagine you don't have access to wikipedia and aren't from the year 2020.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yes that is all true. They're not dirty but people a long time ago thought they were.

But 2020 is like 8 years from now, bowen.

• Options
    Wait which worldine is this again?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

D

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Oh my god, this is so relaxing I don't even really mind the smallpox that much.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Oh my god, this is so relaxing I don't even really mind the smallpox that much.

A little plague never hurt anyone.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

D

Phew, not the ending that leads to nier then huh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

The bad one

We’re in it because you imagined sexy times with Jesus

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Jesus would be a very giving lover I think

but he's also the OG King of Crust Punks so I wouldn't really want to have sex with him

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Same with potatoes.

But potatoes are good.

YEAH, I SAID IT!

• Options
    Dang if I wouldn't love to get an archeology degree somewhere

I'm sorta sick of the whole obsession with the popular fascination with ancient Greece and Rome and Egypt, but on other hand, this shit is amazing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turin_King_List

The history of the object istelf is really interesting too

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Same with potatoes.

But potatoes are good.

YEAH, I SAID IT!

so brave!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Same with potatoes.

But potatoes are good.

YEAH, I SAID IT!

so brave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNe7vVTnkw

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3lIVLZ_WoU

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    “People in the village call me Hasan the strangler now,” he said. “But I’ll be damned if I’m ever fighting a bear again.”

That's a great line.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I'm gonna be honest, while the story in this tweet thread is kind of fun, I mostly got caught up looking at the fascinating segmentation in the cow poop on the upper right. Click through! It rewards inspection!

tynic on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I'm working on cutting out pork this year, thus far its much harder than beef.

*shakes fist at ramen*

Thank god birds and fish are stupid as fuck and I can keep eating those without much guilt.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We used to do cow chip bingo at the county fair! You could buy a square to support the local 4-H club, and if the cow crapped in your square first you won a cut of the proceeds.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    You know, when I pictured our dystopian cyberpunk future I didn't foresee the yokels betting on the stock market through cowpat bingo and a highspeed internet connection, but it does feel right, somehow.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We used to do cow chip bingo at the county fair! You could buy a square to support the local 4-H club, and if the cow crapped in your square first you won a cut of the proceeds.

Yeah cow pat bingo happens at a lot of country fairs here in Australia.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Did you also win the cow pat?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
This discussion has been closed.