As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blade Runner Owns.

• Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    blade runners alright but its kinda a lot of not very much followed by endless analysis and maybe hes a replicant did you get that whole subtext not really i wasnt paying that much attention to that one line where they hinted that he might be but why dont we all talk about it forever i dont think its really that deep though

darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Also doesn't every version of Blade Runner except the work print cut have a version of the unicorn dream

Anyone claiming that the final cut 'ruined' the movie compared to the original voice over laden, unicorn having, happy ending theatrical release is an idjit

• Options
    edited May 2016
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    the quixotic, suggestive, and questioning film it always was.

Ell Oh Ell

Knob on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Also doesn't every version of Blade Runner except the work print cut have a version of the unicorn dream

Anyone claiming that the final cut 'ruined' the movie compared to the original voice over laden, unicorn having, happy ending theatrical release is an idjit

It's been a while, I'm pretty sure the theatrical version either doesn't have the unicorn dream, or doesn't have the origami unicorn, or both

Without the origami unicorn the dream is just a weird trippy thing

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i try to delete the theatrical version from my mind but I don't think it has the unicorn dream in it, and it has the origami unicorn, but it's not dubbed with Gaff's line (that is instead, insanely, dubbed over the ridiculous end scene)

the theatrical version is fucking awful and nobody should watch it. it's aggressively unwatchable.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What if Gaff is the blade runner

• Options
    Ah, actually the unicorn sequence was shot alongside the rest of the film, but was first included in the 1992 Directors Cut

So it's been there for 24 years

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The Directors Cut of Daredevil is pretty decent

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Just as Rachel's memories used Tyrell's niece as a seed, it follows that if Deckard is a replicant he's very likely carrying Gaff's memories

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Just as Rachel's memories used Tyrell's niece as a seed, it follows that if Deckard is a replicant he's very likely carrying Gaff's memories

I never considered this

Dang, I need to watch this again soon

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

the theatrical release did not have the unicorn dream

• Options
    edited May 2016
    it's weird, the first cut I saw of blade runner was the workprint back in like 1999, so when people would talk about the unicorn dream and
    the possibility that Deckard is a replicant

I'd always be like "what"

Shorty on
  • Options
    the blade runner pc game was super good

• Options
    yeah I've heard that

I've had a copy kickin' around for years but have never gotten around to playing it

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Blade Runner is really good

It is dark and moody and claustrophobic

There's like a whirring engine or industrial fan in the background of every single scene in a way that very subtly adds tension to every moment, even when the actual content of a scene isn't particularly tense

And yet in spite of that it feels very slow and sleepy and dreamlike

It's a movie I'm only in the mood to watch once in a blue moon but I love it

They did something like this in Alien and it is so effective!

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Same here with a boxy jewel case copy of the game on.. 4 cds was it? Never got around to taking the time and trouble to get it up and running. There was a SCUMMVM/RESIDUAL dev that was working on an engine reimplementation, but I think that stalled at some point.

edit: found that link: http://westwoodbladerunner.blogspot.ca

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    It's mega good

Some of the npcs are humans and some are replicants, and it's randomized per playthrough

It takes place at the same time as the film but isn't the same plot or characters, but there's a tiny amount of overlap, you get to see behind the curtain a bit

Also, your character is a replicant. Sometimes. That's random, too.

• Options
    It's mega good

Some of the npcs are humans and some are replicants, and it's randomized per playthrough

It takes place at the same time as the film but isn't the same plot or characters, but there's a tiny amount of overlap, you get to see behind the curtain a bit

oh whaaaat, no way

I assumed it was like an adventure game and every playthrough was the same, that's boss

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Blade Runner is really good

It is dark and moody and claustrophobic

There's like a whirring engine or industrial fan in the background of every single scene in a way that very subtly adds tension to every moment, even when the actual content of a scene isn't particularly tense

And yet in spite of that it feels very slow and sleepy and dreamlike

It's a movie I'm only in the mood to watch once in a blue moon but I love it

They did something like this in Alien and it is so effective!

also silent hill

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    @Clint Eastwood you're my favorite

Blade runner is the best most beautiful movie ever god it is so so good I can't even stand it

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I sometimes feel like I'm in a very exclusive club of people who liked Silent Hill

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Deckard being a replicant would make the movie way lamer

so he's not one

Deckard definitively being one thing or the other makes the movie lamer. It should be an open ended question that makes you uncomfortable and really reflect on just how meaningful the difference between replicants and humans is anyway

Scott explicitly thinks he is. Harrison Ford explicitly thinks he is human.

That conflict drives the brilliance of the finished work.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Deckard being a replicant would make the movie way lamer

so he's not one

Deckard definitively being one thing or the other makes the movie lamer. It should be an open ended question that makes you uncomfortable and really reflect on just how meaningful the difference between replicants and humans is anyway

Scott explicitly thinks he is. Harrison Ford explicitly thinks he is human.

That conflict drives the brilliance of the finished work.

and this is actually why I don't really like the unicorn dream

I feel like it pretty definitively confirms that Deckard is a replicant

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Also like

Whether Deckard is a replicant isn't actually that big of a deal for the movie

It's a question that lingers in the background but because it's a mystery it gets talked about kind of disproportionately too much compared to how much that question actually informs the movie

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    why is he called a blade runner

he shoots everybody

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    It's mega good

And you can't go everywhere and do everything to investigate who is or is not a replicant, because other people in the game are acting at the same time as you are, and choosing to go to location A before location B means that whoever else gets to B first won't leave it in same same condition that it would've been in if you got there first.

Even from the very start of the game, you can see that in action: you're tasked with investigating a crime, and one of the suspects is already in custody. If you straight to the scene of the crime, another detective interrogates the suspect instead of letting you do it, but if you perform the interrogation first, you can get more information directly out of the suspect and even administer the Voight-Kampff test yourself.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was playing one of those movie trivia board game things with a bunch of drunks, one night

There was a challenge where you had to solve rebuses. Two pictures come up - a blade, and a marathon runner.

One drunk was very upset at finding out the answer. "Blade Runner?! I thought it was Knife Guy!"

• Options
    I woulda guessed Oscar pistorius

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Walking through the Italian Market in Philly at night, with its cold, piercing neon lights, dilapidated food carts and aging corrugated metal awnings, always reminds me of Blade Runner and its overall look as a movie.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Let me fuck up anyone irritated that the unicorn dream answers a question too definitively for a second

Yeah, it's an answer, but what was the question

Is Deckard a replicant? Or is Gaff?

Chew on that for a couple minutes.

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    why is he called a blade runner

he shoots everybody

Because you can't call a movie Pistol Haver. There are laws.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    Let me fuck up anyone irritated that the unicorn dream answers a question too definitively for a second

gaff being a replicant would be terribly uninteresting

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

not that I care at all about the unicorn scene, but i have thought about this, and I think it's countered pretty deliberately by a couple of scenes in the movie where they make Deckard's eyes do that creepy light reflection thing exactly like the girls, and also the owls

like, if you didn't have the unicorn scene, that was pretty much your clue

• Options
    If you take the reflective eyes as proof, then those have most definitely been there since the very beginning, which cuts the legs off the 'scott ruined the movie by answering the question' argument

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd watch a movie called Pistol Haver.

Or Gun Walker

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'd listen to an album called Running With Scissors.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Butter Knife Skipper

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Sword Walker