Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Again, it is sad how badly DC TV seems to be clowning the movies. TV Deathstroke's armor was better than that.

have you actually looked at the Arrow suit recently? because

while it looks fine for a tv budget, claiming it looks better than the movie version when all we have is a low quality phone video taken off a monitor is jumping the gun something fierce

not to mention the movie version seems to be heavily based on the Arkham Origins design which is the best Deathstroke has looked in years

Why are his eyeholes uneven? It looks super weird.
    They look uneven to me, maybe I'm just seeing things.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    like its often said, a lot of costumes dont look good in stills, they look better in action.

here is the Deathstroke concept art that was used for the show.

BHF8IBN.jpg

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hahahaha god I love terrible clickbait comic news

WATCH A BATMAN VS. DEATHSTROKE FIGHT DIRECTED BY DEADPOOL'S TIM MILLER

It's the intro to Arkham Origins that was made while he worked at Blur has been readily available for years

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Again, it is sad how badly DC TV seems to be clowning the movies. TV Deathstroke's armor was better than that.

while it looks fine for a tv budget, claiming it looks better than the movie version when all we have is a low quality phone video taken off a monitor is jumping the gun something fierce

not to mention the movie version seems to be heavily based on the Arkham Origins design which is the best Deathstroke has looked in years

One isn't an eyehole, it's just a flat plate

also

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    It's so crazy how deep I'm in with DC right now. 7 or so books a week for about 20 bucks... like damn. That's great. It feels good to be reading quality stuff and knowing the money that goes into it is well spent.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    It's so crazy how deep I'm in with DC right now. 7 or so books a week for about 20 bucks... like damn. That's great. It feels good to be reading quality stuff and knowing the money that goes into it is well spent.

Yeah, I'm currently reading more DC than Marvel which... feels slightly weird and crazy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Those checklists they have at the end of every book now... "Oh Superman is coming up again"... Check... "Action Comics"... Check!... "Hmm Batman Beyond with Terry in it"... Check check check!! Arrghh!!

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »

One isn't an eyehole, it's just a flat plate

Yeah, I got that. They still look uneven (to me too), and it's buggin' the heck out of me.

• Options
    So Ostrander's Suicide Squad special came out today and it feels like a lost issue of his run. Like wholesale could have been plucked from the 80s and given some updating for modernity and adding a few characters like Harley.

I mean this as a compliment, of course, it's really fun and great if you've read the original run and want something like that.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I really disliked the art in the preview I saw of it, but maybe I'll check it out

It's just like a mini or something, right? We're not going to be getting more original flavor Suicide Squad longterm, are we?

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I really disliked the art in the preview I saw of it, but maybe I'll check it out

It's just like a mini or something, right? We're not going to be getting more original flavor Suicide Squad longterm, are we?
    It's just an extra sized one-shot, sadly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Aw dang, that's even worse

I'll probably still check it out though

Maybe something magical will happen and we'll get more of it

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Only tangentially related, but if you've never read the Teen Titans Lost Annual, you need to (everyone)

One of my favorite comics ever

• Options
    DC is doing a 6-Week Justice League vs. Suicide Squad event, by Joshua Williamson and Jason Fabok, with Batman deciding to take down the Squad once and for all. Killer Frost will be a major character in the story and it will launch the Justice League of America ongoing in February.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    According to the announcement, DC is adopting a strategy of 4 smaller events/crossovers a year instead of relying on one massive event every summer/fall.

The first appears to be the Night of the Monster Men Bat-Family crossover that launches this month, and the second is Justice League vs. Suicide Squad in January

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I can dig that.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DC is doing a 6-Week Justice League vs. Suicide Squad event, by Joshua Williamson and Jason Fabok, with Batman deciding to take down the Squad once and for all. Killer Frost will be a major character in the story and it will launch the Justice League of America ongoing in February.

Isn't the next Batman arc about him putting together and taking charge of his own suicide squad?

I guess that tracks, that he'd immediately go "na this shit has to go"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I like smaller events so much more than the massive line wide ones

Good job DC

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Outsiders are the Suicide Squad now?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    The Outsiders are the Suicide Squad now?
    No, Batman is making an actual Suicide Squad style team featuring Catwoman, Bronze Tiger, Punch, Jewelee and possibly Hugo Strange.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Why would he send others on a suicide mission and also probably put bombs in their necks?

Collateral human damage is not his thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Why would he send others on a suicide mission and also probably put bombs in their necks?

Collateral human damage is not his thing.
    It isn't identical?

That is why it is a Suicide Squad style team, in that he is using villains to go on a heroic mission through various means

Considering Bronze Tiger and Catwoman are heroes most of the time and Hugo Strange is a big part of King's arc I'm guessing he has methods other than implanted explosives to coerce their help

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I feel like none of the people in Ostrander's Suicide Squad had the implanted bombs after like, the first couple of arcs

Once Waller knows you're willing to play ball, I don't think she cares as much

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like none of the people in Ostrander's Suicide Squad had the implanted bombs after like, the first couple of arcs

Once Waller knows you're willing to play ball, I don't think she cares as much
    Even Boomerang lost his

He got it back because he's Boomerang, but still

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    it always comes back to Boomerang

• Options
    Remember when Captain Boomerang's kid was important for a while?

That was weird.

I liked his design though.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    it'd be nice if DC actually learned a lesson from Sinestro Corp War being a smaller, GL books-focused crossover and being a huge critical hit and then forcing Blackest Night to be a line-wide crossover and being decidedly less loved critically

even if that lesson comes about a decade late

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    This is good news.

I dig the huge sprawling mega crossovers, but every year is way too much.

• Options
    Yeah and if they stay on the scale of JL vs. SS then it should be very manageable

It's just a 6 issue mini, double shipping in December and quadruple shipping in January with 1 Suicide Squad issue tie-in and 2 Justice League tie-ins

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    suicide-squad-justice-league-crossover-jason-fabok.jpg
    Interesting that it is Batman and Harley working together

10 bucks says she's on that JLofA team

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Being laid up in bed for the better part of a week has at least been good for my comic book reading. Read all of JLI, the first three Ostrander Suicide Squad trades, and now I'm going through all of Byrne's Superman.

Totally 80's time for me.

• Options
    if they decided to go in an Injustice direction with Harley trying to reform and Batman supporting her efforts

i would be pretty down with that

• Options
    if they decided to go in an Injustice direction with Harley trying to reform and Batman supporting her efforts

Jim Lee recently said that they now consider Harley to be the 4th pillar of DC, the others being Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, so making her a straight up hero seems like the next logical move so she can appear in the big books

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Speaking of Harley, Ostrander wrote my favorite Harley in ages in the War Crime special. Kooky and goofy but not a Deadpool knock-off.

"I thought this was supposed to be a covert mission!"
    "Honey, I have pink and blue pigtails and dress like a roller derby reject, what part of covert do you think I do?"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Jim Lee recently said that they now consider Harley to be the 4th pillar of DC, the others being Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, so making her a straight up hero seems like the next logical move so she can appear in the big books

I guess the Green Lantern movie really put a nail in the character, didn't it?

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »

I guess the Green Lantern movie really put a nail in the character, didn't it?
    Well the comics have also dropped off in terms of significance and also quality since Johns left, too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Honestly, even if I don't really like her, Harley is a better pillar figure than Green Lantern ever was

• Options

villains getting reformed into heroes can be super iffy but i just really really like the idea of Batman recognizing that Harley isn't inherently evil and doing what he can to push her towards a better life

• Options
    DC has learned some lessons, but "stop having the Justice League be unconscious on the ground in their covers" is not one of them

This discussion has been closed.