Options

DC Comics Thread! Titans out this week!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I can't blame DC for the movies. I blame Warner.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh hmm guess they'll have to cancel the completely unnecessary movie rebooting a character that is already successful in a filmed franchise, what a shame

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    If I had to pick one era in comics to go back to it would be DC in the 90's.

Waid's Flash
    David's Aquaman
    Kesel's Superboy
    Ostrander's Spectre
    Waid and Morrison's JLA
    Robinsons's Starman
    Marz's Green Lantern
    Dixon's Robin
    Ellis's Hitman
    Kingdom Come

Marvel has had a really good run this decade, but I'd still take this list over it.

and on TV, of course, we had the start of the DCAU (Batman, 92-95; Superman, 96-00).

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh hmm guess they'll have to cancel the completely unnecessary movie rebooting a character that is already successful in a filmed franchise, what a shame
    I mean

I don't think it is that weird or ridiculous for DC to want to make a Flash movie distinct from the TV show

For one the show isn't as incredible as it has been in the past

And two Flash is absolutely one of their most popular heroes and an integral part of the Justice League, him being absent would be like leaving Captain America out of the MCU

Plus they aren't rebooting anything, there has never been a Flash movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I mean

I don't think it is that weird or ridiculous for DC to want to make a Flash movie distinct from the TV show

And two Flash is absolutely one of their most popular heroes and an integral part of the Justice League, him being absent would be like leaving Captain America out of the MCU

See, I don't see it that way. I see Flash as integral to the portrayal of the JLA since the late 90s. Prior to that, Green Arrow and Hawkman, the Atom, Zatanna, were big parts of the JLA. I miss having them around.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I mean

See, I don't see it that way. I see Flash as integral to the portrayal of the JLA since the late 90s. Prior to that, Green Arrow and Hawkman, the Atom, Zatanna, were big parts of the JLA. I miss having them around.
    I mean Barry was one of the founding members of the Justice League and lasted all the way through most of his history up till COIE and then Wally joined up with JLI/JLE shortly after he became The Flash and there were only a few years between that and Morrison's JLA

Like I dig all of those characters too, but Flash has a pretty massive history with the JLA, especially in terms of public recognition

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    In double checking that I was reminded of the fucking weird pre-Flashpoint JLA

Jade, Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy, Supergirl, Jesse Quick, Congorilla and Mikaal Thomas Starman

I mean, hey, 4/7 of the team being ladies and having a LGBTQ character on there is rad but that is a weird goddamn line-up

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I always like it when Dick is in the League instead of Bruce

He makes a whole lot more sense, given that he actually likes working with other people

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

He makes a whole lot more sense, given that he actually likes working with other people
    One of my favorite Justice League stories ever is in Joe Kelly's run when the League is seemingly killed so Bruce's failsafe plan kicks in and a bunch of drones go out and recruit a new League, led by Dick Grayson

It also has this amazing moment:
    jla3_69p20.jpg

that is a pre-recorded message

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I liked that run.

Still annoyed that Batman and Wonderwoman thing didn't go anywhere.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Jade, Dick Grayson Batman, Donna Troy, Supergirl, Jesse Quick, Congorilla and Mikaal Thomas Starman

I mean, hey, 4/7 of the team being ladies and having a LGBTQ character on there is rad but that is a weird goddamn line-up

It was a neat idea of using the "alternates" of the regular Justice League members

Unfortunately it was written by James Robinson

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Keith wrote: »

It was a neat idea of using the "alternates" of the regular Justice League members

You're talking about Cry For Justice, right? The group that was meant to be another go at making a nip-crime-before-it-starts kind of team? Seems like that concept got nuked before it even started. Right along with Arsenal's arm, daughter and half of Star City.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

You're talking about Cry For Justice, right? The group that was meant to be another go at making a nip-crime-before-it-starts kind of team? Seems like that concept got nuked before it even started. Right along with Arsenal's arm, daughter and half of Star City.

Good because that idea is basically completely antithetical to like

What superheroing is

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

No. Well, yes he wrote that and it was garbage, but we're talking about his Justice League book right before the New 52

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

One of my favorite Justice League stories ever is in Joe Kelly's run when the League is seemingly killed so Bruce's failsafe plan kicks in and a bunch of drones go out and recruit a new League, led by Dick Grayson

It also has this amazing moment:
    jla3_69p20.jpg

that is a pre-recorded message
    Obsidian Age was pretty great, it's true.

It also has Captain Marvel turning down a spot because he thought he was needed more on the JSA (aka "stupid Wisdom of Solomon..")

sig.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I also liked the pairing of Captain Marvel and Stargirl that briefly happened.

I thought it was a neat idea, though I see why Billy's romantic life doesn't get explored that often.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Superman #10 was great. Damien sure is a huge brat :D

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Saw the punch and what led up to it. I know he's got a big ego but did he really think Jon wouldn't hit him just because Jon's Clark's son?

• Options
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Saw the punch and what led up to it. I know he's got a big ego but did he really think Jon wouldn't hit him just because Jon's Clark's son?
    It's Damian, so he'd think he could take Jon anyway

It's a callback to the beginning of the issue where Jon's friend Kathy says she should have punched a kid that called her Blondie in the gut, and Jon tells her bullies aren't worth it

And then he punches his bully in the gut

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Anybody been playing the telltale batman game? I just watched someone play episode two and HOLY SHIT.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Anybody been playing the telltale batman game? I just watched someone play episode two and HOLY SHIT.

Yep!

We have a Telltale Batman thread, actually.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206385/batman-by-telltale#latest

I like it a lot!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So uh

Tom King did a BIG reveal with Catwoman in Batman today that I am not a big fan of
    Selina is in jail for 237 counts of murder because the orphanage she was raised in was blown up by a terrorist group and they had 237 members, all of which she killed

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow
    That's gross

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Wait,
    did Selina actually do it or was she framed?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edgy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    So uh

Tom King did a BIG reveal with Catwoman in Batman today that I am not a big fan of
    Selina is in jail for 237 counts of murder because the orphanage she was raised in was blown up by a terrorist group and they had 237 members, all of which she killed

Fuuuuuuuck thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Wait,
    did Selina actually do it or was she framed?
    It is revealed via a letter she wrote to Bruce so

Probably her

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm guessing there has to be more to it then meets the eye.
    I kinda doubt DC's going to take her that far down into Crazytown like Marvel did with Felicia Hardy just before Secret Wars.

• Options
    I kinda doubt DC's going to take her that far down into Crazytown like Marvel did with Felicia Hardy just before Secret Wars.
    Except Felicia is still like that and has been for a while

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Except Felicia is still like that and has been for a while
    Yeah but hasn't she been a little less crazy post-SW? I mean, I think I remember the last issue of Spider-Man before SW, she broke into Aunt May and her husband's place, tied them up and set the place on fire just because they unknowingly bought one of her stolen items that the police took when she was arrested. Has she dipped that low again since the multiverse was put back together?

• Options
    So uh

I'm cautiously optimistic that it's a swerve by King.
    I don't think it's actually said that Selina wrote it, although of course there are all the "cat" references, but I'd have to check again. Plus, I don't think Selina has known who Batman is since The New 52 started

If it's not a swerve, I'm definitely not a fan. Salinas always been a "kill as a last resort, prefer to just make chumps out of everyone" type of person. And King doesn't seem like the type to ignore characterization like that

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I still think she's stealing something.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    So uh

I'm cautiously optimistic that it's a swerve by King.
    I don't think it's actually said that Selina wrote it, although of course there are all the "cat" references, but I'd have to check again. Plus, I don't think Selina has known who Batman is since The New 52 started

If it's not a swerve, I'm definitely not a fan. Salinas always been a "kill as a last resort, prefer to just make chumps out of everyone" type of person. And King doesn't seem like the type to ignore characterization like that

The letter she wrote refers to him by his real name I think? So I think she knows. Have to read it again.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY

trailer's fine but i can't really say it has me excited to see the movie

also still can't deal with the accent. it just sticks out to me as Israeli too much to take it as anything else

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm certainly more interested in Wonder Woman than I have been for any of their other shit

But I also think WW fits their whole 'thing' better given that she's totally ok with killing people

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Superman #10

This just keeps getting better. Best single issue I've read all year.
    grgdqj9cc15b.jpg
    r7kog59iiu7j.jpg
    hjc2uw14o51x.jpg
    c6ddxdnx3x5a.jpg
    ycd2zxd2vgji.jpg

MOO

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Man that looks fantastic

Edit: I was referencing the Wonder Woman trailer, but that comic is cute too

Straightzi on
  • Options
    I think that trailer is okay but yeah the accent is bugging me, mostly because it sounded like Hippolyta has an American accent from her line in the trailer? So Diana just has an Israeli accent for no reason

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm so so so ok with actors just keeping their natural accents in kinda silly superhero movies.

Especially with everything I've seen of Cumberbatch's Strange accent.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    That stupid theme music doesn't even gel with the rest of the music in the trailer

This discussion has been closed.