Options

DOOM

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, Hell is the first level where I am worried I will not find a majority of stuff

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    They updated the main menu and looks like they added some things.

Also I've been getting a lot of glitches in single player mode. No chainsaw animations, for a while I couldn't shoot any guns until I accessed the map, and climbing animation was off as well.

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Just finished my first run through. Wasn't really trying to get every secret along the way, just wanted to see all the levels. Such a fun game. I liked the parts where you shot the demons. Can't wait to try again.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh man I forgot that was coming out today. Something to watch on my lunch break!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Y'know what was a small touch in this game that I loved? The cyberdemon picks you up, throws you across the room, and you land on your feet. There's something about that that sold the feeling of being a badass better than any other moment in the game for me.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What's impressive to me is that I hate videogame badasses and somehow love it in Doom. I think it's because the Doom Marine isn't cool. He's just super metal. He doesn't quip, isn't swooned over by the ladies. He's just super good at one thing.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    What's impressive to me is that I hate videogame badasses and somehow love it in Doom. I think it's because the Doom Marine isn't cool. He's just super metal. He doesn't quip, isn't swooned over by the ladies. He's just super good at one thing.

Macrame? I would not have guessed.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

I loved all the talk in noclip's documentary about that. How things like the Gore Nest are typically something a player avoids in games because it triggers a fight. Doom Guy wants a fight. Does tearing this flesh pile apart start a fight? Great. Let's fucking go.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Hugo Martin seems to be a very, very smart guy who knew exactly how to thread that needle

If you really have to bring Duke Nukem back again, please give it to him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Hugo Martin seems to be a very, very smart guy who knew exactly how to thread that needle

No one needs to bring back Duke Nukem

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

No one needs to bring back Duke Nukem

They're going to

And if they're going to, give it to someone who will do what needs to be done

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    He's just super good at one thing.

This raises the question: are ripping and tearing two different things? Or different descriptions of the same activity?

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Rip'pe and T'Ear are both aspects of the same oversoul.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've been thinking some thoughts, and I almost want to write a thing examining the different ways DOOM and Wolfenstein TNO use their respective franchises's legacy

I think there's some really interesting stuff to look at

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's rip AND tear not rip and/or tear

Ripping causes tearing, I guess

• Options
    Anything that kills demons is in his purview

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Are you saying he wouldn't be a good lay?

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kaplar wrote: »

Of course not. All that ripping and tearing, trying to get up in them guts?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Doom guy is definitely a virgin. He has sex dreams about demons though.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    "I bet you have huge guts" is the worst pick-up line ever.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the doom marine has a son

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    -Tal wrote: »

pfft

he could have gotten one of those anywhere

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Nah that was an action figure

maxresdefault.jpg

not a tiny wee man

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zfl9sAQx-U

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

According to the LORE, The Doom Marine is a descendant of William Jacob Blazkowicz. Through the long generations, the Blazkowicz family has, more or less inadvertently, come to prominently display two traits.

1) Protagonism.
    2) Romantic awkwardness.

By the 1960s, Billy Boy could singlehandedly dismantle the Nazi war machine, but needed to have Anya basically pull him aside and explicitly tell him "Hey, I want to fuck right now" to get anything done in the bedroom.

Centuries down the line, the Doom Marine can rip apart Hell itself. You can figure out the rest.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

According to the LORE, The Doom Marine is a descendant of William Jacob Blazkowicz. Through the long generations, the Blazkowicz family has, more or less inadvertently, come to prominently display two traits.

1) Protagonism.
    2) Romantic awkwardness.

By the 1960s, Billy Boy could singlehandedly dismantle the Nazi war machine, but needed to have Anya basically pull him aside and explicitly tell him "Hey, I want to fuck right now" to get anything done in the bedroom.

Centuries down the line, the Doom Marine can rip apart Hell itself. You can figure out the rest.

Commander Keen is the grandson of BJ Blazkowicz. Doomguy (Sergeant Stan Blazkowicz) is listed as a "distant relative" of BJ, I like to think that he is actually Billy Blaze's (Commander Keen) son or grandson.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I only have one more Argent container to pick up, and I killed the Cyberdemon one level ago.

How much game have I got left for this first playthrough?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So I only have one more Argent container to pick up, and I killed the Cyberdemon one level ago.

How much game have I got left for this first playthrough?

Going by memory, I think the cyberdemon is about halfway through.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A couple hours still! You just beat level 9, there are
    4 more, tho some are quite short IIRC.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Awwww shiiiiiit

That means I get to actually use my sick kitted out self on increasingly crazy enemy combinations? I thought this was the endgame!

I am like 40% more into this game having learned this, hot damn

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I think there's 13 levels in the game

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    there are three boss fights total

• Options
    there's a little easter egg when you meet Samuel Hayden in case you didn't immediately try it

If you don't immediately move forward when you first encounter him, you can still use your gun

If you try shooting him, he has an energy shield that just absorbs it and he says "don't waste your ammo"

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

Watching this now and knowing very little about him except that he designed the Jaegers from Pacific Rim and has a signed poster of Taimak? Hugo martin seems like an okay dude.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    My father in law got himself an xbone and doom for Christmas so I've been able to spend some time playing this the last couple days. It's a lot of fun. I'm tempted to get an Xbox for me and the family.

• Options
    Wow I was pretty taken aback by a bit just now.

I said in the holiday Steam thread that this game has two characters, Olivia and Samuel, but that's no longer really true.

It has three.
    VEGA and the Marine together make one whole character.

VEGA saying "I have many regrets, Dr. Hayden," and then that making the Marine pause, and back up the AI before deleting it

That's the most strangely... tender? It's almost a tender moment, it made me sit back and think a minute

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I talked to Doom more than any other game in history. I threatened to eat a Mancubus. I wasn't even hungry.