Options

[Heroes of the Storm] MACHINES OF WAR HYPE! GET IN HERE!

• Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    OK, cool. I'll keep practicing Medivh then. Thanks!

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There's a guy called HORSEPANTS who is a GM-level player who streams pretty regularly. He plays a very legit Medivh. I've seen him in games with Kaeyoh and Fan and he puts down some nasty portals and shields during fights. Chu also played a bunch of Medivh when he was released, but I haven't paid attention to his stream in a while, so no idea if he still does. He played Troll Medivh, though - mostly just harassed the crap out of the other team and tilted the shit out of them while getting top damage/kills in the process.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    HOTSLOGS gives out some weird stats sometimes. For example, over the last 30 days in HL, i have winning %'s in the 70's with 10 out of 11 of the heroes I've played more than 5 games with.

During that time, my HL MMR has dropped almost 100 points.

I honestly think I might be able to get up to around at least Diamond, maybe even Platinum, if I just stuck to a small selection of Heroes that I'm really good and familiar with, instead of completely abandoning ppl once I hit 10 with them, and semi-abandoning at 9. But.. that would also get boring fast, so, I guess I'll just keep hanging out in Silver with guys I'm bad at.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hotslogs' algorithm is relatively simple. The amount of points you gain/lose in any given game is based on 2 things:

1) Its uncertainty - if you don't have many games recorded in that league then your MMR can swing by hundreds of points per game for the first 20 or so games and then it drops down to like 20-40 points per game and finally settles at 10 points per game.
    2) Some combination of average and individual MMRs of the players of each team.

So once you've got enough games in to get out of the uncertainty period you should expect to see your mmr go up or down by 10 points +/- 10 points depending on whether hotslogs expected you to win/lose. So if your team average MMR is 2500 and your opponent was 2000 and you win then your MMR might only go up 2 points from that game, but if you lose you could lose like 20 points.

And yeah I hear you on new heroes. For the most part I have a good stable of heroes who are good and I like playing but I've also chosen to sacrifice my MMR in order to practice a couple tough heroes (Chromie, Medivh) and I'm OK with that. The losses don't sting when I expect them.

Supagoat on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Supagoat wrote: »
    Hotslogs' algorithm is relatively simple. The amount of points you gain/lose in any given game is based on 2 things:

1) Its uncertainty - if you don't have many games recorded in that league then your MMR can swing by hundreds of points per game for the first 20 or so games and then it drops down to like 20-40 points per game and finally settles at 10 points per game.
    2) Some combination of average and individual MMRs of the players of each team.

So once you've got enough games in to get out of the uncertainty period you should expect to see your mmr go up or down by 10 points +/- 10 points depending on whether hotslogs expected you to win/lose. So if your team average MMR is 2500 and your opponent was 2000 and you win then your MMR might only go up 2 points from that game, but if you lose you could lose like 20 points.

And yeah I hear you on new heroes. For the most part I have a good stable of heroes who are good and I like playing but I've also chosen to sacrifice my MMR in order to practice a couple tough heroes (Chromie, Medivh) and I'm OK with that. The losses don't sting when I expect them.

Yeah my MMR would clearly be a lot higher if I stuck with a small stable of heroes. There are some that I'm really mean with. But I get bored really quickly, so I rotate heroes on a pretty consistent basis. On QM especially, my MMR has tanked significantly because I've relegated it to "learn new heroes" except when I'm grouped with people.

At the end of the day it's just a number being spit out by an algorithm, with strengths and weaknesses based on how that algorithm works. It has no actual bearing on my life, so I choose not to stress out over whether it's an arbitrary value higher than everyone else's. What I really care about is getting a competitive game, and interestingly enough I find that Unranked Draft is much more aligned than both QM and HL in that regard.

• Options
    Yeah now that unranked draft exists I don't stress over my QM MMR. Before unranked, QM was my primary play area. I like that there's a place I can practice now .. A 'safe space' as it were for hero ability.

• Options
    There's a guy called HORSEPANTS who is a GM-level player who streams pretty regularly. He plays a very legit Medivh. I've seen him in games with Kaeyoh and Fan and he puts down some nasty portals and shields during fights. Chu also played a bunch of Medivh when he was released, but I haven't paid attention to his stream in a while, so no idea if he still does. He played Troll Medivh, though - mostly just harassed the crap out of the other team and tilted the shit out of them while getting top damage/kills in the process.

Cool, thanks! I'm checking him out. Looks like he's taking a week or two off right now because he's getting repetitive stress injuries, but he has recordings.

Like this one https://www.twitch.tv/horsepants/v/84930460

Where he goes and first thing he does in his first game is bait in the other team and get more than he bargained for and die. :-) But I'm sure that was just a little mistake.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Cool, thanks! I'm checking him out. Looks like he's taking a week or two off right now because he's getting repetitive stress injuries, but he has recordings.

Like this one https://www.twitch.tv/horsepants/v/84930460

Where he goes and first thing he does in his first game is bait in the other team and get more than he bargained for and die. :-) But I'm sure that was just a little mistake.

How did he get repetitive stress injury? He's clearly not a master baiter.
    I'm so sorry, you just set that up so well

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    hots logs probably does not have all your games. it only has 60 of my chen games when I have played over 80 on him, so my win rate is a little higher on hots logs than reality

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    hots logs probably does not have all your games. it only has 60 of my chen games when I have played over 80 on him, so my win rate is a little higher on hots logs than reality

they probably uploaded all their games to hotslogs themselves

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

As Escape Goat said I upload all mine, but even so it doesn't matter - hotslogs will always be internally consistent even if you don't upload all your games. All that would happen is that you'd see a discrepancy with Blizzard's MMR. But your MMR on hotslogs will be fully accounted for.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

As Escape Goat said I upload all mine, but even so it doesn't matter - hotslogs will always be internally consistent even if you don't upload all your games. All that would happen is that you'd see a discrepancy with Blizzard's MMR. But your MMR on hotslogs will be fully accounted for.

How could that be when, theoretically, you could have a string of wins or loses that are not uploaded by anyone?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

How could that be when, theoretically, you could have a string of wins or loses that are not uploaded by anyone?

I don't pay too much attention to the MMR stuff, but I would think that if Hotslogs has 75% or so of your games, it has a good idea of your MMR already. While it is possible that the remaining 25% were mostly win streaks or such, it's probably likely that they are similar to the majority of your other games (since, theoretically, it's mostly random which games are uploaded or not).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Right, that will make hotslogs inaccurate compared to Blizzard, so you might notice it by seeing yourself matched with people whose MMRs on hotslogs differ a lot from yours.

But the MMR that you have on hotslogs is fully accounted for because it calculates it by adding or subtracting based on every win/loss. So whatever number you see on hotslogs is backed by the data of hotslogs.

• Options
    For Medivh, is The Master's Touch a trap talent? The 75 bonus damage you get does NOT scale with level, so later in the game the bonus from Arcane Charge gives you more damage per hit.

In a vacuum (shooting the target dummy) the CD reduction makes Master's Touch way better, but because the Q cooldown goes to 7 seconds if you miss a hero, you can't just spam it. So it seems like having it on a 1s CD vs 2s isn't that much of a benefit. Although maybe that's why it's called The Master's Touch... I guess if you're a master then you can spam them out that fast and hit every time.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    balance patch:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20245464

edit: pretty much skimmed right to the gul'dan part. not really sure what the plan is for him since i'll be honest i don't think i've ever seen anyone take any of those talents, with the exception of level 1 echoed corruption

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    For Medivh, is The Master's Touch a trap talent? The 75 bonus damage you get does NOT scale with level, so later in the game the bonus from Arcane Charge gives you more damage per hit.

In a vacuum (shooting the target dummy) the CD reduction makes Master's Touch way better, but because the Q cooldown goes to 7 seconds if you miss a hero, you can't just spam it. So it seems like having it on a 1s CD vs 2s isn't that much of a benefit. Although maybe that's why it's called The Master's Touch... I guess if you're a master then you can spam them out that fast and hit every time.

No, it's one of his best talents on the tier by far. The damage is slightly lower (513 vs 569 at level 20) but that extra second of cdr is well worth it.

It also has other benefits, like giving him better/more consistent siege/pve damage. Arcane Charge only procs off of enemy heroes, and thus your siege is going to be worse.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I can play this game again tomorrow, I'm excited

• Options
    Dibby wrote: »

No, it's one of his best talents on the tier by far. The damage is slightly lower (513 vs 569 at level 20) but that extra second of cdr is well worth it.

It also has other benefits, like giving him better/more consistent siege/pve damage. Arcane Charge only procs off of enemy heroes, and thus your siege is going to be worse.

Well, you got your wish, dibbs. No more searing attacks on Tyrael :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

HOORAY

Except he now has Follow Through which is just like what even why

OH WELL.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Patch Notes for those that can't read the link:
    ASSASSIN

GALL

Talents

Level 1
    Shove (Active)
    Cooldown reduced from 30 to 20 seconds

Level 7
    Double Trouble (Q)
    Cooldown reduction increased from 1 to 1.25 seconds

Level 16
    Giant Scorcher (Q)
    Damage increased from 3 to 3.5% of target’s maximum Health

GREYMANE

Abilities

Razor Swipe (Q)
    Damage reduced from 159 to 135
    Go for the Throat (R)
    Damage reduced from 420 to 355
    Marked for the Kill (R)
    Damage increased from 68 to 190

Talents

Level 1
    Wolfheart (W)
    Cooldown reduction per attack reduced from 1 to .8 seconds

Level 4
    Eyes in the Dark (E)
    Stealth duration reduced from 4 to 3 seconds

Level 7
    Incendiary Elixir (Q)
    Increased the damage bonus per quest stack from 10 to 15
    Increased the maximum damage bonus from 150 to 225

Level 20
    Unleashed (R)
    Damage bonus per kill increased from 25 to 35%, up to a maximum of 140%

Developer Comments: We’re pretty happy with the way Greymane is playing, but think that he’s doing more burst damage than we want from a Basic Attack focused Hero (at a very consistent rate). We’ve decided to address this by reducing the damage of Go for the Throat and Razor Swipe. We’re also increasing the damage of Marked for the Kill. While the focus of the Heroic is the long term Vulnerable, by increasing the damage we’re reducing the opportunity cost of giving up Marked for the Kill.

GUL'DAN

Talents

Level 1
    Echoed Corruption (E)
    Number of hits required to complete quest increased from 30 to 35

Level 7
    Curse of Exhaustion (E)
    Slow duration increased from 2 to 2.5 seconds

Level 13
    Fel Armor (Q)
    Ability damage reduction increased from 30 to 40%

Level 16
    Rampant Hellfire (Q)
    Damage bonus increased from 6% per stack (30% max) to 8% per stack (40% max)
    Darkness Within (Trait)
    Damage bonus increased from 20 to 25%

Developer Comments: While he has an acceptable win rate in the hands of experienced players, we felt that Gul’dan could use a few minor buffs and talent tweaks to help make his talent tiers more competitive. His Echo of Corruption quest ended up being completed earlier than we intended for such a strong effect, so we’re increasing the amount of Hero hits required. We are also are seeing a higher win rate for his Ruinous Affliction talent compared to others on his Level 16 tier. Rather than nerf this talent, we decided to buff the other options to make the tier more competitive and to make his late-game power spike more powerful.

SUPPORT

AURIEL

Stats

Basic Attack damage increased from 48 to 60

Abilities

Sacred Sweep (Q)
    Outer damage reduced from 80 to 75
    Inner damage reduced from 160 to 150
    Resurrect (R)
    Cooldown reduced from 90 to 70 seconds
    Range increased from 4 to 5

Talents

Level 1
    Increasing Clarity (Q)
    Lowered the quest bonus damage for each stack from 3 to 2
    Increased the number of hits required to complete the quest from 20 to 25
    Quest completion bonus increased from 60 to 70. The total damage bonus will remain at 120

Level 7
    Empathic Link (D)
    Energy reduced from 25 to 20% of Bestow Hope target’s damage taken
    Glimmer of Hope (W)
    Energy reduction from globes increased from 35 to 50%
    Energized Cord (W)
    Increased Energy gain from Auriel’s Basic Attacks from 100%/30% to 100%/50%

Level 13
    Blinding Flash (Q)
    Blind duration reduced from 4 to 3 seconds

Level 20
    Diamond Resolve (R)
    Damage resistance duration increased from 4 to 5 seconds

Developer Comments: Auriel has had a very strong release. We’re happy to see some fresh blood (or hope) in the support scene, but do think that as players continue to master the newest Hero in the Nexus that her winrate will continue to climb. As such, we’re reducing the power of her Sacred Sweep Talents, as well as reducing some of her Energy gain from Empathic Link. We’ve also transferred some of her damage (and consequently her Energy gain) from Sacred Sweep into her Basic Attacks, as we found them more lackluster than we’d like and not worth the risk necessary to use them.

SPECIALIST

SGT. HAMMER

Abilities

Thrusters (Z)
    Thrusters are now always active while in the Altar of Storms
    Artillery (Trait)
    Now also increases Sgt. Hammer’s Basic Attack range by 20%

Talents

Level 1
    Lethal Blast (W)
    Removed

Level 4
    Maelstrom Shells (Passive)
    Removed

Level 7
    Hyper-Cooling Engines (Z)
    Cooldown reduction increased from 10 to 15 seconds
    No longer makes Thrusters always active while in the Hall of Storms

Developer Comments: We’re planning to do a deeper dive into our favorite Siege Tank down the road, but in the meantime we felt Sgt. Hammer could use a few changes to make her feel more competitive compared to other heroes. Sgt. Hammer was originally designed to be the master of ranged damage, but has since become outshined by other poke heroes like Li-Ming and Chromie. To help her assert her spot again as a scary ranged damage-dealer, we’re making Maelstrom Shells a part of her baseline Artillery Trait, which should also help that tier’s pick rates. We’re also giving her a bit of a quality of life improvement by making her Thrusters always active when she leaves the Hall of Storms, which should help her get back to the game faster from her base.

WARRIOR

CHO

Talents

Level 7
    I AM Hurrying! (Z)
    Duration increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds

Level 13
    Runic Feedback (E)
    Cooldown reduction increased from 1 to 1.25 seconds

STITCHES

Abilities

Gorge (R)
    Cooldown reduced from 80 to 60 seconds
    Mana cost reduced from 80 to 70

TYRAEL

Abilities

El'druin's Might (Q)
    Cooldown increased from 11 to 12 seconds
    Judgment (R)
    Cooldown reduced from 80 to 70 seconds
    ​Sanctification (R)
    Cooldown increased from 70 to 80 seconds

Talents

Level 4
    Horadric Reforging (Q)
    Cooldown reduction increased from 3 to 5 seconds

Level 7
    Reciprocate (W)
    Damage reduced from 200 to 170
    Angel’s Grace (Q)
    Movement Speed increased from 30 to 40%
    Searing Attacks (Active)
    Removed
    Follow Through (Passive)
    Added

Level 13
    Imposing Will (W)
    Fixed bug that was causing the Movement Speed slow to inconsistently stack with all other Movement Speed slows
    Angelic Absorption (W)
    Increased healing amount from 156 over 3 seconds to 208 over 4 seconds

Level 16
    Salvation (W)
    Increased bonus Shields from 35 to 45% per affected ally

Developer Comments: Tyrael has been trending upward since he last received a Talent update, and has reached a point where we’re ready to do a few nerfs to our Archangel of Justice. The major target points are a few of the over performing Talents, as well as some slight adjustments to a few of his cooldowns. Coupled with these nerfs, we’re also buffing a few of the lesser picked Talents so that he has more compelling options at every tier.

shryke on
  • Options

I swear I'm like the only person who takes Arcane Explosion at 7 instead of Master's Touch. It's better for PvE and really solid in teamfights, especially when you are solo supporting and thus spending alot of time shielding your assassins who are diving/anyone who is getting dived on.

• Options
    balance patch:

edit: pretty much skimmed right to the gul'dan part. not really sure what the plan is for him since i'll be honest i don't think i've ever seen anyone take any of those talents, with the exception of level 1 echoed corruption

They are basically just buffing unused talents and making Echoed Corruption take slightly longer to get.

They are trying to make a Q or W build happen I think, but it's just not gonna happen till they address the basic issue that both of those builds are alot more dangerous to play for no real extra reward and the problem with his Q build is not at 16, it's at every other level since the other talents to make the Q build happen just suck.

Echoed Corruption + Ruinous Affliction is just way way better then the alternatives because it's high, bursty safe damage and the others are not.

• Options
    Auriel changes are ... interesting. I'm wondering if making her more dependant on AAs will smooth out her energy gain and increase her PvE damage.

• Options

HOORAY

OH WELL.

Follow Through was considered the best talent at 7 for ETC for a while, so don't knock it that bad.

That said, ETC has really bad level 7 talents and more spammable abilities, so...

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Woo hammer buffs!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    balance patch:

They are basically just buffing unused talents and making Echoed Corruption take slightly longer to get.

They are trying to make a Q or W build happen I think, but it's just not gonna happen till they address the basic issue that both of those builds are alot more dangerous to play for no real extra reward and the problem with his Q build is not at 16, it's at every other level since the other talents to make the Q build happen just suck.

Echoed Corruption + Ruinous Affliction is just way way better then the alternatives because it's high, bursty safe damage and the others are not.

Well I mean I literally understand the words that they posted. However your assessment is exactly what I was thinking, so these changes don't really add up to a whole lot of sense.

I don't even really want to try the changes since they are so unimpactful. I can in AI or test I guess, but anywhere else will probably just tank the team

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Auriel changes are ... interesting. I'm wondering if making her more dependant on AAs will smooth out her energy gain and increase her PvE damage.

Her PVE damage was not a problem. She destroys minions with her Sacred Sweep.

And this isn't really even them making her more dependent on AAs. This change affects Auriel only. Her biggest source of energy comes from her hatted ally, and they did not touch Beacon of Hope at all. Her self-generating energy will go up very slightly due to the increased AA damage, but it isn't really enough of a change that I expect much of a shift in playstyle for her. These are very small numbers tweaks.

Her energy gain % remains the same against player characters.

• Options
    edited August 2016

HOORAY

OH WELL.

Follow Through was considered the best talent at 7 for ETC for a while, so don't knock it that bad.

That said, ETC has really bad level 7 talents and more spammable abilities, so...

Yeah I mean, that's the thing with Tyrael. In teamfights he'll be popping off E pretty much on cooldown, holding W til he can negate incoming damage, and holding Q either for an escape or for chasing. E is basically his only spammable ability, and Q/W's cooldowns are a bit on the long side (12/10 seconds).

Also I think Follow Through on ETC isn't that great anymore. It's okay, right? But I think Loud Speakers or even Guitar Hero are gonna give you better bang for your buck.

And on that note, Tyrael's other level 7s are WAY better than Follow Through. Both Reciprocate and Zealotry are amazing (even after Reciprocate's nerf). Angel's Grace still exists in this weird place where it's just kinda... unnecessary, since you already have your E, so it's a bad talent.

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin is that Tyrael's AA damage is pretty weak. It's 170 at level 20 (compare to, yknow, ETC's 216 at 20), so Follow Through isn't going to have as much of an impact. "But the AA talents!" Still not worth taking, cause you give up other good shit. Tyrael actually has one of the weakest AAs out of all the tanks, maybe THE weakest. Granted he also has an attackspeed of 1.25, which is pretty high for a tank.

I'm honestly not sure why they gave him Follow Through and didn't just like, remove Searing Attacks and be done with it. It's not... Hm. He's not like Sonya or Artanis, right? Sure, he wants to be up in your face, but he's built to be a mobile supporty tank, not really like a high damage bruiser. Tyrael wants to be diving in there with the melee and protecting them while they smash faces, not being the one who smashes faces himself.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yah I've never taken follow through on ETC. His damage is just so negligible that it's not worth trying to increase it. Loud speakers is way better because it ... AMPLIFIES... what he's good at.

Supagoat on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh shit, dude. I actually just did the math on Greymane's GftT nerf. So it does 920 at level 20 right now. Post patch it will do 777. Fun fact, this isn't even just a reversion to the original pre-buff numbers (821), this is even worse than the original numbers.

Wow, fuck. And they're not even lowering the cooldown either. So it's losing 143 damage which is pretty significant. That's a 15% nerf in damage.

Edit: On the other hand, MftK goes from... 149 to 416? Um, wow. Maybe that's worth taking now. It's certainly got some bite to it. HAHA BITE, GET IT, CAUSE HE'S A WOLF, BUt it's a bullet so this pun doesn't really work........

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, they really, really, really want you to pick Marked for the Kill. Finally giving it some damage will probably do that on it's own. I think that was the biggest thing holding it back, the Vulnerable was nice, but just not at all worth a skillshot Ultimate that did basically no damage on its own.

EDIT: I mean, old version, it was basically a worse version of Tyrande's trait... as an ult.

morgan_coke on
    XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.

• Options
    Yeah the Gremane nerfs are huge across the board.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah the Gremane nerfs are huge across the board.

They are pretty significant but I think he's gonna be fine.

Keep in mind the MftK buffs. It now does ~53.54% of the damage GftT does and also provides a Vulnerable debuff that can be refreshed indefinitely (as long as you're attacking the target). You're gonna make up that remaining ~46.46% of the damage via the Vulnerable debuff, basically. And before MftK only did ~16.2% of GftT's damage, which was pitiful. The damage gap is much closer now.

Also MftK only has a 40 second cooldown, that's insane. Basically, you're gonna have more sustained damage and less burst damage, but still be able to blow people up because of MftK.

Incendiary Elixir was buffed again as well, increasing the damage bonus by 225, up from 150. At level 20 with Incendiary, Cocktail's splash damage is gonna hit for 742 on a 6 second cooldown, instead of 517 on a 10 second cooldown. It's also not as hard as you might think to hit people with the splash. This talent very well might be worth picking now.

He'll be fine.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the new setup makes it seem like the best way to play Greymane right now is as a Raynor impersonator who very rarely goes all hammer to finish someone off, but spends a lot more of his time poking from range.

• Options
    Well, it's weird because cocktail/human build used to be the way to go. They didn't like that so they made his wolf form better. But now they're nerfing it back so human form is better. I'll give it a shot and see how it plays but I guess I'm not seeing a reason to go wolf form unless you're doing a camp...

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Well, it's weird because cocktail/human build used to be the way to go. They didn't like that so they made his wolf form better. But now they're nerfing it back so human form is better. I'll give it a shot and see how it plays but I guess I'm not seeing a reason to go wolf form unless you're doing a camp...

I mean the thing is, I've always played Greymane as like, 80% Human/20% Worgen. You start out in Human form and poke them down, only going into Worgen form to nail that kill. Like if you can get into Worgen form and stick on someone in a teamfight and NOT get punished for it, sure. But otherwise that shit's kinda risky.

Worgen form is still good because it's still a gap closer and you still deal more damage as a Worgen. You still win any 1v1 as Worgen because your autos just fucking chunk people.

So I don't think that playstyle really changes too much. Start out in Human form and poke em down, toss out MftK on someone, go into Worgen when it's safe and you want to close the gap and go in for the kill. If they go out of your Human range keep damage on them with Worgen, then Disengage out when it gets too hot/after you secure the kill.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Oh man rolling Maelstrom shells into Hammer's baseline makes me so happy ;-; it's small but good

In other news, I've been thinking about Overwatch stuff and Ana is my #1 top pick for "please put this hero in the game right now immediately." Beyond that, I would really just like to see a support from Overwatch because supports are my jam dammit and I want moar of them, but Ana really stands out as my top pick. I'm gonna break down the other Overwatch supports now to show why!

Mercy: Take Morales, give her Brightwing's Phase Shift, and Auriel's ult. First of all, we all know what a pain Morales can be, both playing her (I hope you like being constantly focused down!) and against her (see the Carbot Animations short about her). Finally, smooshing a bunch of other hero abilities into one hero doesn't a good hero make.

Lucio: His passive healing makes him a lot like Brightwing or Auriel, as does the way he buffs move speed (BW's shields also buff movement, tho it's single target). His skates could be interesting depending on how they interact with terrain; maybe he moves faster when next to terrain? But he's kinda finnicky there. His ult would be pretty cool though, basically a hero specific Storm Shield. Still, another case of "a lot like stuff we already have." I'd absolutely take him above Mercy tho.

Symmetra: First, I think in HotS she'd end up a "specialist" like Medivh. Second, we all know how dumb people are about supports that aren't straight healers -- see, again, Tassadar and Medivh. In fact, iirc in Overwatch (I haven't played OW yet as I'm broke; but I have several friends who main Sym) she gets put in the same box of UR NOT A REAAAAAAAAL SUPPORT >| which is dumb. Her turrets give her some of the same space as Gazlowe, while her shield + teleport are Medivh-ish... but since her teleport is an ult, it might last longer, making it more like a Nydus worm that other heroes can use. Even though she's another case of "kinda a remix of some other dudes we already have," she's a remix of dudes who are niche and not played much, and maybe another chance to see those abilities / concepts shine. I'd like to see her, but Ana is a higher priority.

Zenyatta: So, Zenyatta is choice #2 for me after Ana, because I think he really is straight up unique? He's so weird. Maybe somebody else has better insight to him? his healing is a little Morales-ish but not quite, his orbs are... man he's weird.

Ana: SHE SHOOTS PEOPLE TO HEAL THEM THAT'S NEAT. A healing skillshot would be hard to use, but dammit it's cool and I like the idea. AND it's a DoT on enemies, which is neat! Also, a CC / shutdown from Sleep! And an AoE that's both a heal and damage! NEAT. .... okay her Ult is basically just Stim Drone 2.0 but tHE REST OF HER KIT IS COOL and not something we've really seen in HotS at all! ALSO SHE's a 60 Y O EGYPTIAN MUSLIM LADY THAT'S COOL AS HELL

in conclusion i like ana a lot the end

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

HOORAY

OH WELL.

Yeah I mean, that's the thing with Tyrael. In teamfights he'll be popping off E pretty much on cooldown, holding W til he can negate incoming damage, and holding Q either for an escape or for chasing. E is basically his only spammable ability, and Q/W's cooldowns are a bit on the long side (12/10 seconds).

Also I think Follow Through on ETC isn't that great anymore. It's okay, right? But I think Loud Speakers or even Guitar Hero are gonna give you better bang for your buck.

And on that note, Tyrael's other level 7s are WAY better than Follow Through. Both Reciprocate and Zealotry are amazing (even after Reciprocate's nerf). Angel's Grace still exists in this weird place where it's just kinda... unnecessary, since you already have your E, so it's a bad talent.

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin is that Tyrael's AA damage is pretty weak. It's 170 at level 20 (compare to, yknow, ETC's 216 at 20), so Follow Through isn't going to have as much of an impact. "But the AA talents!" Still not worth taking, cause you give up other good shit. Tyrael actually has one of the weakest AAs out of all the tanks, maybe THE weakest. Granted he also has an attackspeed of 1.25, which is pretty high for a tank.

I'm honestly not sure why they gave him Follow Through and didn't just like, remove Searing Attacks and be done with it. It's not... Hm. He's not like Sonya or Artanis, right? Sure, he wants to be up in your face, but he's built to be a mobile supporty tank, not really like a high damage bruiser. Tyrael wants to be diving in there with the melee and protecting them while they smash faces, not being the one who smashes faces himself.

Follow Through fits him better then Searing Attacks I think, and they are probably leaving a DPS talent there cause why not. Who knows what the meta will bring. Just in general with MOBAs there tends to be alot of "We designed it to work this way, here ya go!" and then letting the players do their thing and maybe they find some other use for something. I think it's not a bad idea to leave that option open. Someone might do something with it some day in the future and it's not like there's a cost to including it.

Plus, you know, QM and crazy times in other modes as well.

This discussion has been closed.