As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Preacher]? I hardly know her! (Spoiler rules in OP)

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So basically the first season served as a prequel to the start of the comic, with modifications.

I'm not sure how well it all worked. But I was entertained.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I guess the explosion lacked enough detail that they could bring back a couple of the characters if they really needed to (though probably not Odin or the couple that was watching the methane pool).

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    So basically the first season served as a prequel to the start of the comic, with modifications.

I'm not sure how well it all worked. But I was entertained.

Comic Spoilers:
    We're basically at a revamped version of the end of issue #1.

Granted, this is a very heavy remix, and I dig that about it because I don't actually want to know exactly what's coming, but it's still ballsy as hell to spend 10 episodes building up a town and it's characters like that before presumably turing into a road-trip format in Season Two.

• Options
    Hold on. That Indian mascot.
    Did they say he was gay at the start of the episode, and at the end, he's hung himself next to the other mascot?

Heh.

Also I was waiting for Carlos
    to get jumped by Cassidy.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Am I supposed to have been able to infer what happened to Carlos?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    he just got beaten up a lot, I think

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    he just got beaten up a lot, I think

but how?

He had a gun and a crowbar...

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Jesse and Tulip are expert people-beater-uppers

(I mean, he'd also been in that trunk for who knows how long, that probably isn't good for mobility right after you get out)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm somewhat disappointed because several of the people they spent time building up were legit interesting, and I wanted to see where their arcs went. So in a way, this feels like a troll.

On the other hand, it was a fucking epic troll.
    I think the lack of acknowledgement by Jesse of what just happened, or his seeming lack of awareness that it even did, was kind of muddled.

So in the beginning, Jesse uses the Voice and it goes seriously south. But he doesn't know this yet. Okay, cool, the show is illustrating the negative consequences of this kind of lazy shortcut activism, and Jesse is well meaning but ignorant.

Then Jesse sees what happens to Eugene, and keeps on doing this shit. Alright, the show is still showing the negative consequences, and Jesse is fully aware and just doesn't care. This shows Jesse as a borderline villain, blinded by hubris.

So now, the show illustrates that pretty much everyone in the town is a piece of shit. Emily is a murderer, the sheriff tortures Cassidy, Quincannon is Quincannon, just fuck the whole place. I guess? And Jesse's actions lead to such depression and abrogation of responsibility that the town literally explodes. And Jesse doesn't react at all.

So... what? Did the town deserve its fate? Is it a tragedy that we should be mourning? Did Jesse do something good or something bad? Does the show even have an opinion on this? Did it even occur to the writers that they should?

It bugs me that there's so much going on and I can't tell if the show is even trying to have a throughline. Or, fuck, an in-the-vicinity-of line.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So. Comics-wise, we just finished issue one of ~60. :rotate:

• Options
    So 59 seasons to go? Sure, I'm game.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    To be fair they already covered a bunch of stuff that comes later in the comics

Such as (comic spoilers)
    The reveal that God is missing. A big chunk of book 8. The Saint of Killers' backstory.

Next up: Road Trip!

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ahahahahahaha

That was great. I legit spent the entire season not sure how I felt about it.

But that last episode has me ALL fucking IN for season two. That was p damn funny. Great set-up.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I love the story in Preacher. And I like Jesse, Tulip, Eugene and Cassidy. The problem is that I have no emotional connection to anyone else on the show.
    To be fair, I guess that's no longer a problem.

But I feel like I was supposed to care that virtually everyone in the town just blew up, and I really didn't. It was an interesting moment, and one that was competently foreshadowed and everything, but I felt nothing.

I will happily continue to watch this show just because it's a hoot seeing what crazy fucking thing is going to happen next, but I wish they could stick some pathos in there.
    I honestly don't think you were? It felt like you were supposed to laugh. I know I did. And it's Seth Rogan so playing something like that for laughs is kinda right up his alley.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Man, I really enjoyed this show, I hope they get to keep doing this for a long time if it can maintain this level of quality.

I'm trying to decide which is my favorite part of the season, and I'm down to a tossup between the last 10 minutes of this episode and the first 10 minutes of episode 5 (the 6th episode, stupid episode 0 pilot) with the 3 on 1 fight against the lady angel.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    Best part of the season was the angel fight by a wide margin.

The scene when Eugene disappeared was second.

This show has some amazing individual scenes, and the general visual style is pretty great. It's capable of intermittent greatness but occasionally goes a bit daft, like a Vince Gilligan series got kicked in the head by a mule.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm somewhat disappointed because several of the people they spent time building up were legit interesting, and I wanted to see where their arcs went. So in a way, this feels like a troll.

On the other hand, it was a fucking epic troll.
    I think the lack of acknowledgement by Jesse of what just happened, or his seeming lack of awareness that it even did, was kind of muddled.

So in the beginning, Jesse uses the Voice and it goes seriously south. But he doesn't know this yet. Okay, cool, the show is illustrating the negative consequences of this kind of lazy shortcut activism, and Jesse is well meaning but ignorant.

Then Jesse sees what happens to Eugene, and keeps on doing this shit. Alright, the show is still showing the negative consequences, and Jesse is fully aware and just doesn't care. This shows Jesse as a borderline villain, blinded by hubris.

So now, the show illustrates that pretty much everyone in the town is a piece of shit. Emily is a murderer, the sheriff tortures Cassidy, Quincannon is Quincannon, just fuck the whole place. I guess? And Jesse's actions lead to such depression and abrogation of responsibility that the town literally explodes. And Jesse doesn't react at all.

So... what? Did the town deserve its fate? Is it a tragedy that we should be mourning? Did Jesse do something good or something bad? Does the show even have an opinion on this? Did it even occur to the writers that they should?

It bugs me that there's so much going on and I can't tell if the show is even trying to have a throughline. Or, fuck, an in-the-vicinity-of line.

Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip are villains. I don't understand why anyone would resist this idea - the show's protagonists are bad guys. Kidnappers, bank robbers, bar fighters, murderers, dog murderers. I've got this same argument going in the Walking Dead and Better Call Saul threads.
    I don't believe Jesse knows the town blew up. He walked out the diner door and missed the news report by seconds.
    I also laughed at the forbidden-love-suicide-pact the Savage and the Prairie Dog mascots had going. High school football is serious business.

• Options
    It's definitely not as simple as "the protagonists are villains" in any of those shows.

Jesse's motivation through most of the show has been a desire to fulfill a promise he made to his dad and help the people of his town by bringing them to God. His methods have certainly been suboptimal, but when he realized this he tried a different strategy. Which also had... some unfortunate side effects, but that's not because Jesse is a bad guy.

He is a guy torn by the competing effects of good and evil. As befits the vessel of the offspring of a demon and an angel.

• Options
    There were no good effects as everything he did for the town backfired. He wants to be seen as a good and effective preacher to the point where he's torturing pedophiles and telling angels they can't have the secret love child that wandered off back. He's committed to the role of preacher, I agree, and Tulip called him out on it being at odds with his nature at least once.
    In the last 5 minutes of the finale, a fed up Jesse vows to find and kick the Almighty's ass. 100% bad guy talk.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, I know in Sual's/Breaking Bad's case at some point they did become villains even if they didn't want to admit it or regretted it. But that doesn't really apply to Jesse and Co yet. They haven't had enough time to hang themselves and have yet to do anything over the line it seems. Just dancing around it.
    I'm going to miss Quincannon. Emily got a raw deal. I hope they both survived, but if only one, give me Quincannon.
    Everyone kind of flipped out over God being missing, but 1)they didn't say dead 2)Angels! Heaven! Even if they were goober Angels.
    But then the town was pretty broken, I suppose.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There were no good effects as everything he did for the town backfired. He wants to be seen as a good and effective preacher to the point where he's torturing pedophiles and telling angels they can't have the secret love child that wandered off back. He's committed to the role of preacher, I agree, and Tulip called him out on it being at odds with his nature at least once.
    In the last 5 minutes of the finale, a fed up Jesse vows to find and kick the Almighty's ass. 100% bad guy talk.

You're omitting a vital piece of that to make your point.
    Jesse says that if God needs their help, they'll help. It's only if they find him and it turns out God has just been fucking around and letting everything go to shit, then they're going to kick his ass.

Which doesn't at all scream bad guy to me.

Yeah, I'll probably give you that, I think the last part of the finale just stuck out from being fresher in my mind. That big angel fight was just amazing though.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ok, the finale made the last few episodes worth it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That was how you do a fucking finale! Would even work as a series finale if they didn't get picked up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    abotkin wrote: »

You're omitting a vital piece of that to make your point.
    Jesse says that if God needs their help, they'll help. It's only if they find him and it turns out God has just been fucking around and letting everything go to shit, then they're going to kick his ass.

Which doesn't at all scream bad guy to me.

Yeah, I'll probably give you that, I think the last part of the finale just stuck out from being fresher in my mind. That big angel fight was just amazing though.

From a technical standpoint, I think the scene of the fallout from the church chat was fantastic. The shots of all the characters, the contrast between how they handled it... if they gave Emmys for individual scenes, it would be in the running. It was just pitch perfect.

It's scenes like that which will keep me coming back, even if the show sometimes flubs character beats or tone or theme. When the show hits that groove, it's fucking magical.

• Options
    So Bus Driver guy.

I take it from his Jeffrey Dahmer ending by a bunch of young girls he did more than fantasize.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    That was how you do a fucking finale! Would even work as a series finale if they didn't get picked up.

Username checks out.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    preacher showrunners talking about the finale "ayyy lmao"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    So Bus Driver guy.

I wasn't clear on what happened.
    His pants were off ... but the six girls brought a machete ... either he did something days earlier and the girls were getting revenge by cutting off his wiener or they thought he was going to do something so they cut off off his wiener pre-emptively.

• Options
    So Bus Driver guy.

His pants were off ... but the six girls brought a machete ... either he did something days earlier and the girls were getting revenge by cutting off his wiener or they thought he was going to do something so they cut off off his wiener pre-emptively.

Looked more like a broom handle to me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm not sure if we were meant to take away anything more specific than "bad guy was done in by his ostensible victims."

• Options
    So Bus Driver guy.

I'm not sure which would be worse.

• Options
    Broom Handle, as Dennis Reynolds would say, For the implication.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So Bus Driver guy.

I take it from his Jeffrey Dahmer ending by a bunch of young girls he did more than fantasize.
    Penis count: 2

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So Bus Driver guy.

There was a blade.

• Options
    You know I think there's a certain beauty in spoilers for the ep.

A town of horrific assholes getting blown up by shit, just poetic justice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    The finale and few preceding episodes definitely made up for a very rickety start. I'm totally on board, now.

Though it does feel like the "super-sized episode" was about 20 minutes of extra commercials book-ending that series of effects shots and music catalog purchases. Well paid for, but still, damn.

• Options
    The finale and few preceding episodes definitely made up for a very rickety start. I'm totally on board, now.

Though it does feel like the "super-sized episode" was about 20 minutes of extra commercials book-ending that series of effects shots and music catalog purchases. Well paid for, but still, damn.

That's amc being assholes. Like I stopped watching walking dead on network and just watched it on prime because their commercial breaks are freaking awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I watched all ten episodes over the last few days, and I'd just like to say that that finale was glorious.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

The scene when Eugene disappeared was second.

This show has some amazing individual scenes, and the general visual style is pretty great. It's capable of intermittent greatness but occasionally goes a bit daft, like a Vince Gilligan series got kicked in the head by a mule.

which honestly is kind of how the comic was just in a different, more Ennis-y way

I really liked the finale, and I'm really excited to get this show on the road so to speak

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Finally watched it.

I don't think you're supposed to be emotionally moved. I think you walk away with
    God is absent, literally everything about Texas is horrible, every person is responsible for determining their own plan. And then we have what seemed to be the necessary prologue to explain a road trip consisting of a vampire, an assassin, and a warrior super hero preacher.

It was perfect.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So the Saint
    being immune to the voice....I mean it makes for pretty set pieces, but it doesn't make sense that the Word of God doesn't work on him.