As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    If its the same issue as before, the AI is essentially too indecisive, rather then stick with an action for a few turns it will attempt to recalibrate each turn. Essentially making it impossible for them to use siege units, or wage an extended war deep in enemy territory.

You can fiddle with the priorities if you want to get into modding, but you are unable to change the calculation interval in any meaningful way. There are probably a few mods out there that can improve that, I used to use the one that removed siege unit set up costs for the AI which seemed to help a lot.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Beefers wrote: »
    Can they still not capture cities? That really sucks, thought they fixed that a few patches back =(

Also, yes. It is easier then 5.
    I think they can as in its possible, I have seen ai grab an undefended city state in the early game, but it is a lot more rare than it should be. I don’t know if its a mechanical issue where the ai does not understand how to get around walls, or if the ai is just too docile and wants to avoid warmonger issues (shouldn’t matter for alex though) or what. They seem to build units and declare wars, but their wars are rarely successful.

AI can definitely capture cities. I started playing again after a long break when the patch hit, and I've had other civs eliminated before I even encountered them several times already. I've also seen Egypt declare war on China when both were neighbors of mine, with Egypt quickly capturing China's capital. That made it nice and easy to get China away from where they'd been expanding right by my capital. Rome declared war on me right after though, and sent a surprisingly large army that actually captured my second best city.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yep, saw Nubia eliminate Spain in the game I'm playing, also on Prince (because I forgot to load my usual setup, ugh). But yeah, the AI is still really dumb. That and the mid/late game not having enough to do are the major flaws here.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Remember how I mentioned I'm playing as the Aztecs? Look who just crashed the party on the continent I conquered.

pLZ5ZIV.jpg

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm playing on Prince by the way. In Civ 5 that was enough to wreck me once in a while. In this though... I don't get it.

My experience with Civ 6 is that King is the new Prince. On Prince, I don't think I've ever had the AI declare war on me without me attacking first. On King, though, the AI seems reasonably sensible about diplomacy and starting fights.

The AI is still bad at tactical, though. ATM, Gorgo is attempting to mount an amphibious assault across a lake that's two hexes wide using... Pikemen and Chariots. It's in a valley between two mountain ranges, so it's not really possible for her to circle around it. So far, my catapult has sunk a half dozen of her embarked units in about as many turns.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So weird thing. I declared a formal war on Spain to get rid of their settlement. I figure I should stay at war and go across the ocean to take them on head to head, but every turn since this happened they've offered me peace deals. They have, according to the game's military score, a stronger military than me.

Also I got to drive out a heretic for the first time and I love it. Convert this.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Peace deals are a bit weird now, and have been since the beginning. Have heard of civs taking deals for all their cities and the like when slightly losing. Or refusing to take deals at all when greatly outclassed. Like most things in civ 6 its a good idea when it works that needs a good going over.

• Options
    I captured Spain's capitol and now they've altered their frequent peace deals to include me giving it back.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I captured Spain's capitol and now they've altered their frequent peace deals to include me giving it back.

Strange. Last time I played as Spain I had Barcelona rebel against me.

• Options
    The year is 1290 AD. The Aztecs have defeated everyone but the Americans. We're approaching Atomic Era tech.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

Strange. Last time I played as Spain I had Barcelona rebel against me.

*slow clap of appreciation*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Victory has been achieved as Communist, Jewish Aztec Empire. I tried to embrace everything internet assholes hate and lead it to victory and it worked.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Victory has been achieved as Communist, Jewish Aztec Empire. I tried to embrace everything internet assholes hate and lead it to victory and it worked.

Oylé!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Didnt know the Aztecs had a female leader

• Options
    I can say with 100% certainty now that on Prince difficulty, and I assume lower, that barbarians are the biggest threat you face in the game.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Is there still a civ placement bug? I got a great start as kongo but I seem to have a massive continent to myself and no one’s religion to steal

• Options
    Yeah city placement is broken, get the unofficial fix above since Firaxis doesn’t hotfix and it will probably be 3 months before the winter patch.

• Options
    It is a fun glitch though. I wish it was a slider in the advanced set up.

• Options
    Will update thread later tonight. But: the first expac has been announced. See reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/7g4p4i/civilization_vi_rise_and_fall_expansion/dqgfv57

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Mongols, of course. Probably some more natives of the Americas as well.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Oooh, Dark and Heroic Ages. That's an interesting concept. I'm also pretty curious about Governers, as I am a big fan of Civ VI's town specialization.

I was hoping for major changes to the religion system, though.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm glad that they don't just put a previously used system into the game. They update it and make it more dynamic.

Can't wait to find out who the new Civilizations are. I'd like to see the Portuguese return. Edit - But from a different era of their history.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Hmm, a new second leader to keep Gorgo company... Interesting. I wonder if it will be Isabella finally (there were hooks for Isabella in the release game leading some to speculate she would be a DLC, but she never made it in).

Guesses for 8 Civs:
    Mongols
    Incas/mayans (or other mesoamerican)
    Iroquois/Shoshone(or other north american)
    Babylon
    Korea
    Portugal/netherlands/venice (or other renaissance/colonial naval)
    Carthage/celts/Byzantines (or other mediteranean classical)
    Zulus/mali/Songhai/ethiopia (or other sub saharan)

Long shots I would like to see:

Kilwa/Swahili
    Goths
    Assyria
    Mughuls or Chola (basically a non-india south asia civ)
    Vietnam

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Please, it's going to be the Turks.

Although 8 out of 9 civs being all new is mouth watering news.

• Options

It's 8 Civs and 9 leaders. So some group, be it an existing one or one of the new ones, will have two leader options. I wish they would have more of that going on.

• Options
    The devs have stated they want to do more second leaders but it is not a priority since it is almost as much work as an entirely new civ from an art standpoint.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to Civ officially bringing back my Fate/Stay meets Star Wars overpowered nation mod to a wider audience through this expansion, guys.

I know, I was also surprised when they reached out. But we all know my crossover including a poorly photoshopped image still is clearly the top rated today on the workshop under the correct search criteria. So it was a done deal.

• Options

It's 8 Civs and 9 leaders. So some group, be it an existing one or one of the new ones, will have two leader options. I wish they would have more of that going on.

Maybe an old civ with a new leader? Who knows!

• Options
    The devs have stated they want to do more second leaders but it is not a priority since it is almost as much work as an entirely new civ from an art standpoint.
    I can understand that, but still, it's half the work done. I like the way Greece works out in Civ 6.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    This sounds pretty exciting! I'm wondering like, can you "lose" and still somehow how "rise again" or whatever in this expansion? Either way I like the idea of Emergencies and the eras / ages, all that stuff.

Hoping this comes with the usual set of new bonus / luxury resources too. I don't know why but more of those made me really happy in Civ 5's expansions.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Rawr_303Rawr_303 Registered User regular
    The idea of adding Dark Ages and bringing back Golden Ages is super interesting. I'm excited to see how this plays out.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I can understand that, but still, it's half the work done. I like the way Greece works out in Civ 6.

Maybe from an art asset standpoint, but not from a design and development standpoint. A new leader means having to see if all the existing civ bonuses still work for the new person and then any tweaks to those bonuses need to be tested on both leaders. So less initial design time but more time spent in regression testing and fixing issues from that.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    oh dang it comes out soon, too

I'm oddly excited for city flipping to come back; that was always something I enjoyed when it happened in civ4

the other thing I miss from civ4 is the potential for outright revolutions that split a civ into two, but that might not work so well with the civ/leader bonuses in 6

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Updated the OP with info from the new expac based on the press release and stuff from today and removed the info from when CivVI was originally released. Instead I added the following:
    So Civ VI was released with a lot of promises, unfortunately not everything worked as well as we had hoped. It is still a strong game and the patches have really improved the base game. If you haven’t paid attention to the last year of content, the below is a short summary:

New leaders and Scenarios: Every major patch came with one or two new civs. These can be purchased as DLC or came with the DeLuxe edition. These cvis are: Poland, Australia, Persia, Macedon, Nubia, Khmer and Indonesia. The packs also come with scenarios, most of these were combat focused, but the Australia pack had an Outback Tycoon scenario which has zero combat and is my personal favourite as a result.

Religion view: In the base game a religion victory could come as a surprise, because it was hard to see how far along a religion was to becoming the world religion. Improvements to the UI have reduced these issues.

Alert for units: base game lacked this feature, but it is back now. Just plop down a unit on Alert, and it will automatically awaken when an enemy approaches.

&&
    PRO TIPS:

This post was very insightful: https://imgur.com/a/zvwQz
    The consensus on reddit is to just wage war on everyone you meet, as the AI is untrustworthy, so might as well kill them instead of trying to work with them. The latest patch supposedly made the AI less murder-y, but they can still flip out at the drop of a hat.

Please remind me of other huge improvements and PRO TIPZ FROM PRO PLAYERZ I have missed.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Random ass guesses at the civs:

Maya
    Inca
    Mongols
    Ottomans/Turks
    Mughals
    Korea
    Mali/Songhai/West Africa
    Sweden

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh, I read new civs as new to Civ...

• Options
    Frankly I'd like to see Catherine the Great return for Russia. Or maybe Korea represented by Admiral Yi.

• Options
    Frankly I'd like to see Catherine the Great return for Russia. Or maybe Korea represented by Admiral Yi.

As much as I love Yi, he was instrumental to military victories, naval innovations and basically keeping is country from being conquered, but I havent learned anything about any civic feats from that Extra History series?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    It's funny that the part of this announcement that makes me the most excited is that there will be two new districts.

I really ended up loving that mechanic more than I thought I would.