Options

The LGBT Thread

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Soldier:76 and Reaper both have alternate skins that reveal their faces. Both of them are alright looking. Young Genji's a little too anime for me, but Hanzo's got appeal.

That Reinhardt, though. Definitely Reinhardt.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about but I would marry Stanley Tucci

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I wanna see human body genji, he's probably cute

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Keith wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of you are talking about but I would marry Stanley Tucci

stanley tucci is 11 kinds of smexy <3

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think overwatch is more gay friendly with its character design than most video games, IMO

Pharah and Zarya especially stand out

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I think overwatch is more gay friendly with its character design than most video games, IMO

Man, fandom started pairing people real quick on this one.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Not for the males.

males can't be sexy or beautiful in video games or the assumed cis guy audicence get scared

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Not for the males.

males can't be sexy or beautiful in video games or the assumed cis guy audicence get scared

Is Hanzo neither of those? Also, Lucio?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I'm not into guys but Mccree has an aesthetic going for him that i'm sure does it for a fair number of people

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Young 76 is also damned good looking

But it's overshadowed by having more cartoonish male characters like Junkrat and Roadhog

Also surprised more folk aren't into McCree

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Overwatch is just fandom friendly in general

The incredible variety in character design and the fact that their backgrounds are all just little blurbs which really don't say a lot about them leaves so much open to interpretation

Blizzard made a bunch of simple characters and is letting the internet run wild and its working great

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Young 76 is also damned good looking

But it's overshadowed by having more cartoonish male characters like Junkrat and Roadhog

Eh. He's got the whole rugged handsome thing yeah, but he's in like 3 layers, none of them form fitting and he's half cyborg. Plus he's a smoker. :(

He's pretty clearly supposed to just be a male power fantasy.

• Options
    Robot part are generally a plus for me

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah Overwatch kind off seems to have that problem that men get to be cartoony, or old, or big, and the women get to be varying shades of traditional attractiveness.

I have a bugbear about this in character design.

Fuzzytadpole on
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Winston is in a committed relationship with peanut butter

If your team has a Mei and a Winston at the start sometimes they will shyly compliment each other's glasses and it's adorable

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Not for the males.

Is Hanzo neither of those? Also, Lucio?

Some of the male characters might be attractive

But very, very few male characters in video games are actually sexualized like female characters are

This is a double standard that many straight cis male gamers pretend doesn't exist because many male protagonists are attractive, muscular dudes

But they are not sexualized and those are not the same thing

To put it in a pro wrestling context, it's the difference between Roman Reigns and Shawn Michaels. Both are muscular, attractive dudes, but whereas Reigns is a power fantasy, Shawn Michaels is sexual. Like, that's literally his whole deal. Its not to say Roman can't be seen as sexy (the overwhelming majority of Roman's fans are women who want to fuck him) or that Shawn can't be seen as powerful (Michaels is widely considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time). It's that one is a powerful dude who is attractive, the other is an attractive dude who is powerful.

In a video game context, it's the difference between Kratos and like, the svelte boys of Final Fantasy games (one of the few game series that do have sexualized male characters)

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    honestly if i had to pick a guy on the Overwatch team, Junkrat would be pretty high on the list for some reason

I felt the same way about Nux from Fury Road
    Like a hungry mangy puppy dog who just needs to know he deserves to be loved

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Yeah Overwatch kind off seems to have that problem that men get to be cartoony, or old, or big, and the women get to be varying shades of traditional attractiveness.

ITrIJa8l.jpg

mrIihizl.jpg

Zarya is pretty big

and she is bae

Brolo on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    We shipping overwatch in here?

All the characters are cool and I'm glad the is a little something for everyone in there.

Uriel on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Uriel wrote: »
    We shipping overwatch in here?

Final Fantasy shipping isn't allowed in the Final Fantasy thread, and Harry Potter shipping's been done to death. We could get into Game of Thrones, but those ships only sail for an episode before someone might die.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

ITrIJa8l.jpg

mrIihizl.jpg

Zarya is pretty big

and she is bae

While Zarya is an exception in body type, I would say her face still fits the traditionally attractive mold.

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    I think it's fair to say that Blizzard started from a place of, let's say underwhelming diversity, and over the past five-ish years, they've made surprising strides for inclusiveness. They still have some problems that need to be solved, but I feel cautiously optimistic that they'll get there.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2016
    I guarantee you that your average dude would be put off by her angular chin, scar, short hair and, because this is the world we live in apparently, pink hair.

She's definitely attractive, but I feel like the game's art style makes it hard to do very weathered characters. Like Zarya has a scarred face but it's more of a facial accessory than old wound.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like from what I've seen of Overwatch (not much, admittedly), the dudes have a much higher tendency to wear masks and such than the ladies

Which might be skewing some of this attractiveness thing

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like from what I've seen of Overwatch (not much, admittedly), the dudes have a much higher tendency to wear masks and such than the ladies

Which might be skewing some of this attractiveness thing

I'd really like Pharah to wear her awesome helmet in the character selection screen.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Robot part are generally a plus for me
    "No, Genji...leave the mask on."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I Googled McCree.

Yeah, McCree's whole aesthetic works for me pretty damn well.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I

love

Zarya

also there are some boys at the beginning of TMS #FE that have me drooling big time

• Options

ITrIJa8l.jpg

mrIihizl.jpg

Zarya is pretty big

and she is bae

While Zarya is an exception in body type, I would say her face still fits the traditionally attractive mold.

Not with the thick eyebrows and scar, don;t you think?

• Options
    I Googled McCree.

just a lone man riding shirtless into town on a bastion tank

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I Googled McCree.

ho

what

were

i didn't find any shirtless pics where are the shirtless pics???

• Options
    I Googled McCree.

ho

what

were

i didn't find any shirtless pics where are the shirtless pics???

You shouldn't have to work terribly hard to find pictures of anyone from Overwatch shirtless.

That said, I'm at work, so I'm not going to test that theory at the moment.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

ITrIJa8l.jpg

mrIihizl.jpg

Zarya is pretty big

and she is bae

Not with the thick eyebrows and scar, don;t you think?

Those eyebrows are hella in right now

• Options
    btw

anyone who doesn't depict Mei as chubby is also committing a goddamn crime

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Her parka and kit are a bit misleading, thoooough.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

you have

no idea

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    also lucio is my precious boy and I will protect him

• Options

look, there are so few cute chubby girls in video games, and 99% of them aren't playable

you know, my girlfriend (who is totes lesbian) also said that she found Lucio attractive

deffo not my type, but I can see the appeal

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options

look, there are so few cute chubby girls in video games, and 99% of them aren't playable

you know, my girlfriend (who is totes lesbian) also said that she found Lucio attractive

deffo not my type, but I can see the appeal

Gaming absolutely needs more positively-portrayed chubby characters. And Mei is hella cute.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so which one of the overwatch characters is the one in the knock off slimer shirt?

This discussion has been closed.