Options

The LGBT Thread

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    never let anyone tell you that throwing a shit fit isn't productive when it comes to social justice

Protests are just a bunch of people throwing a shitfit together.

Boycotts are just shitfits with your wallet.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shitfits for the Shitfit god!

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Completely aside from the horrific intent of that proposed bill, the scientific understanding forming the basis of it would be laughable if it weren't coming from the people who have the power to actually enact this stuff.

No human being has a Y or X chromosome, or indeed any chromosome IN their DNA.

It makes as much sense trying to pass a law about construction regulations and referring to buildings being found within bricks or concrete :/

We're actually seeing physical evidence popping up that gender is specifically a designation of the human brain, and not solely a matter of sexual anatomy.

I've brought this up in discussions on this before, when trying to emphasize why the overall body doesn't have the final say on gender.

Yes, not that we need scientific 'proof' beyond someone saying what their gender is, but the evidence that is coming out that backs up what gender diverse people have been saying all along really is fascinating.
    It also means that trans women are biologically female, trans men are biologically male and nonbinary people are biologically nonbinary!

What a shock. <\sarcasm>

Also, once I came across the concept that biological sex itself is also a social construct (i.e. the two rigid binary categories rather than the multiple nonbinary physical and psychological attributes that are used to assign sex in our society) it made a hell of a lot of sense to me (as a person with a science degree), both from a sociological and biological perspective.

This probably isn't new to many of you but I just find it so interesting and wonderful to learn about this stuff.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Completely aside from the horrific intent of that proposed bill, the scientific understanding forming the basis of it would be laughable if it weren't coming from the people who have the power to actually enact this stuff.

It makes as much sense trying to pass a law about construction regulations and referring to buildings being found within bricks or concrete :/

I like how they apparently understand enough to know that intersex is a thing and that birth gender assignment isn't foolproof, but don't know anywhere near enough about genetics, endocrinology, or gender to realize their grade-school level attempt at a fix is completely unworkable. Yknow, In addition to the whole denying the existence of trans individuals entirely.

Wait I don't mean like. What's that other word? The one that means the opposite. Sounds like something you'd wear on your head

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I like how they apparently understand enough to know that intersex is a thing and that birth gender assignment isn't foolproof, but don't know anywhere near enough about genetics, endocrinology, or gender to realize their grade-school level attempt at a fix is completely unworkable. Yknow, In addition to the whole denying the existence of trans individuals entirely.

Wait I don't mean like. What's that other word? The one that means the opposite. Sounds like something you'd wear on your head

Is this the term you're looking for?

https://youtu.be/EddX9hnhDS4

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Blindsprings recently had another page for Ember Chu, who is a non-binary character.

Their gender is listed as "Duine" in the details not listed here.

z4438yy.png

link

When K-Fed (Kadi Fedoruk) was asked by one of the fans what that means, she had this reply.
    It’s a legal catch-all term for anyone not cis in Blindsprings. Duine just means “human” (along with a couple of other meanings) and there are different terms that we would recognise within Duine, like non binary or gender fluid or transgender, though they can also apply to legally change their gender to male/female/duine.

Kids were mostly raised gender-neutral (see victorian and earlier boys wearing dresses) but gender has become more strict as time went on in Aberwelle. (just like us) BUT because of the prevalence of Duine in their society, people still have that legal choice and acceptance. Unlike our society, this is something people have been used to and understood for hundreds of years.

Hopefully that sort of clears things up? It’s part in-world creation and part actual real world stuff.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    1. Goatmon, you make me think of Toriel and that's awesome.
    2. You have the best avatar.
    3. Is this the same as the similarly named holiday thread, the one that made me happy to read?

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Well, this is the lgbt thread, so if that's what you saw on the holiday forums..!

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Yes, it had more to do with coming out and holiday related family fun, but I'm guessing they're the same.

Weeeeeee!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Blindsprings recently had another page for Ember Chu, who is a non-binary character.

Their gender is listed as "Duine" in the details not listed here.

z4438yy.png

link

When K-Fed (Kadi Fedoruk) was asked by one of the fans what that means, she had this reply.
    It’s a legal catch-all term for anyone not cis in Blindsprings. Duine just means “human” (along with a couple of other meanings) and there are different terms that we would recognise within Duine, like non binary or gender fluid or transgender, though they can also apply to legally change their gender to male/female/duine.

Kids were mostly raised gender-neutral (see victorian and earlier boys wearing dresses) but gender has become more strict as time went on in Aberwelle. (just like us) BUT because of the prevalence of Duine in their society, people still have that legal choice and acceptance. Unlike our society, this is something people have been used to and understood for hundreds of years.

Hopefully that sort of clears things up? It’s part in-world creation and part actual real world stuff.

Ember is a cool name and something I wish I considered before picking out what I went with
    not like my parents give an iota about what I went with (it was what they would have named me if I was CAFAB)

only critique I have of this character is the abundance of skinny, androgynous folk as non-binary characters
    you rarely see anything else in art, writing, etc.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    A lot of androgyny gets real hung up on the andro part, is part of the problem

Like, in terms of media and advertising and all that, androgyny is just soft feminine facial features with a thin masculine frame and well fit masculine clothes

Edit: feel free to put some air quotes around masculine and feminine there, as clearly those aren't really accurate terms

Straightzi on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You know how folks were talking about nail polish a few days ago in this thread?

Finally got good at applying it.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Umm...has anyone been in contact with Angora/DirtyDirtyVagrant in the last month? I haven't been able to contact her and I'm getting a bit worried.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've physically seen DDV within the last week or so

she's been doing well enough, from what I saw

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I've been interacting with her on Facebook, as of this morning she's still okay.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm talking to her now!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Thank you! I am also talking to her now.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    3. Is this the same as the similarly named holiday thread, the one that made me happy to read?

If it was during the holiday period, it was probably the holiday forums version of this thread. P much the same people, but in a slightly different location (the Upside Down or whatever it got called last year).

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So I just read some shit in the D&D Trump Administration thread that frankly hurt my soul

Reminder that if you or a friend are in or near NC and you need help or are in any kind of trouble, you have a friend, don't hesitate to reach out, I'm on here and twitter

e: not gonna link the thing but it was on p97 and tbh I cannot put a big enough TW on it

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So I just read some shit in the D&D Trump Administration thread that frankly hurt my soul

Reminder that if you or a friend are in or near NC and you need help or are in any kind of trouble, you have a friend, don't hesitate to reach out, I'm on here and twitter

e: not gonna link the thing but it was on p97 and tbh I cannot put a big enough TW on it

You're gonna have to narrow it down, link it, or put it in a spoiler because I have no idea what you're talking about

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Here ya go, spoilered because HOLY SHIT.
    So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.
      A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves. A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US. A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.) One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.
    For those who have not read my thread, this video is an actual advertisement for A.C.E. This is what they think makes parents *want* to put their children in A.C.E.

Warning! The abyss WILL gaze back into you if you watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

And this is a video of British activist going through what is supposed to be a 9th grade (year 10 in the British system) history textbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

• Options
    Well I'm sure this all would just make my view of the world feel more bleak if I hadn't already reached peak bleak.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm starting to really understand the viewpoint of people who want to just nuke everything if this is the future we have to look forward to.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    vomit vomit vomit that video is just vomit

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm starting to really understand the viewpoint of people who want to just nuke everything if this is the future we have to look forward to.

That shouldn't be too hard to get rolling. We already have an idiot in charge of the nuclear launch codes and a Twitter account. Additionally, a noted prognosticator made the prediction that "the African American will be the last president of the United States" so we have that too

• Options
    Fortunately I no longer need to tuck but this still rings true:
    tumblr_oju7268NaU1sidfiqo1_540.jpg

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I remember that happening in the middle of several uni classes, although it wasnt always a boner, was often just "oh I'll shift in my seat a little bit" to "oh my god my taint is being simultaneously burned and flayed at the same time". Those did not go away after 2 seconds.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I will point out that until relatively recently ACE taught apartheid as a positive thing. It is about as garbage an education system as you can find.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    So my mom emailed her side of the family (I told her to deal with that because I've never been close to them anyway). My aunt is entirely too self absorbed to care about what other people do, my one uncle never got the email apparently, and my other uncle said he'd call me Cassandra but insisted on male pronouns(????????). None of this is surprising. My uncles are planning a visit at some point though and that's a little stressful.

but my mom told me that anyone who doesn't respect who I am is not allowed in her house, full stop.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Here ya go, spoilered because HOLY SHIT.
    So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.
      A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves. A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US. A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.) One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.
    For those who have not read my thread, this video is an actual advertisement for A.C.E. This is what they think makes parents *want* to put their children in A.C.E.

Warning! The abyss WILL gaze back into you if you watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

And this is a video of British activist going through what is supposed to be a 9th grade (year 10 in the British system) history textbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

People have assured me in the past that things like this can never happen here. I can only shake my head at such monumental naivety. Their complacency is infuriating but it pales in comparison to the white hot anger I feel for organizations like this or the people who would support them. The very core of my person is based on concepts of fairness, justice, and equality and I don't see how I'm supposed to coexist with....that. I'm not a violent person by nature but this sort of thing really pisses me off to no end.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I will point out that until relatively recently ACE taught apartheid as a positive thing. It is about as garbage an education system as you can find.

I'd like to just footnote that my company's version of Kaizen/6S/Lean is called ACE and this newfound use of the acronym makes me kind of laugh?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Also ace is used as a moniker for asexual people.

• Options
    There are going to be a lot of things with the acronym ACE. Because, you know, it's ace.

• Options
    Well those motherfuckers can lick my acehole.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Time until Keith responds to that post?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Keith has had mandatory compliance training and would never do such a thing. He is still beloved.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    send keith a message

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Keith has had mandatory compliance training and would never do such a thing. He is still beloved.

Out of curiosity, how many demons flew out during the trepanning?

Butler on
  • Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

Out of curiosity, how many demons flew out during the trepanning?

Just one, actually.

https://youtu.be/VdasbLKm4s0

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    There are going to be a lot of things with the acronym ACE. Because, you know, it's ace.

Just Ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6dxZd0TTg

This discussion has been closed.