Options

[E3] 2016: You're getting way too old for this.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Wonder what the excuse will be to make you pay again on the NX.

Again, I haven't paid a dime.

Of course the excuses the other consoles use for reselling you stuff you already paid for is that they had to make a clean break from the last console. On the Wii U it is literally free and physically on your current console...in addition to being able to use the same disc-based games and controllers from the last console too.

I am still perplexed as to why you can't use the DS3 and 360 controller on the PS4 and XB1 respectively.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    At least in the case of the PS4, you wouldn't have access to all of the inputs

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

How many games actually use the touch pad?

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

How many games actually use the touch pad?

Nearly every single one

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular

Of course the excuses the other consoles use for reselling you stuff you already paid for is that they had to make a clean break from the last console. On the Wii U it is literally free and physically on your current console...in addition to being able to use the same disc-based games and controllers from the last console too.

I haven't either, but I don't have my games because of Nintendo not having a universal account and me not having the Wii which I had at least $100 worth of BC games on when I got the Wii U.

No I don't.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I haven't either, but I don't have my games because of Nintendo not having a universal account and me not having the Wii which I had at least $100 worth of BC games on when I got the Wii U.

Right, so either way, get rid of your 360 and you can't play any of that content on the One (unless you buy a new 360 and keep the old thing kickin' around), and get rid of your Wii and you can't play any of that content on the Wii U (unless you transferred it when you got the Wii U, and you don't need old hardware for the disc-based games). Ups and downs for any given platform.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Right, so either way, get rid of your 360 and you can't play any of that content on the One (unless you buy a new 360 and keep the old thing kickin' around), and get rid of your Wii and you can't play any of that content on the Wii U (unless you transferred it when you got the Wii U, and you don't need old hardware for the disc-based games). Ups and downs for any given platform.

No, I can play plenty of my 360 stuff on the xbone just fine.

No I don't.
  • Options

And plenty of your Wii games on the Wii U just fine. They're just flip-flopped - you can play some digital stuff on XBone and you can play all physical stuff on Wii U. For those of us who actually transferred the data, we can play everything on Wii U, which is the ideal situation that no other platform matched. And sure, that could change in the next transition.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    *sigh*

I was supposed to be playing No Man's Sky a few minutes from now :(

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I think Sony would have had backwards compatibility if it weren't for ps3 emulation not being possible right now, and including a cell processor would have been too expensive.

Re. controllers: The DS4 also has the light bar and built in speaker. Lots of games use those for things (like low health indicators or what have you), and I don't think Sony wants people getting an incomplete experience. The DS4 are forward compatible though. You can connect them to a ps3 and use them like a ds3.

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

And plenty of your Wii games on the Wii U just fine. They're just flip-flopped - you can play some digital stuff on XBone and you can play all physical stuff on Wii U. For those of us who actually transferred the data, we can play everything on Wii U, which is the ideal situation that no other platform matched. And sure, that could change in the next transition.

You can play digital or physical on the Xbox one. Basically it's the best of both worlds.a and of they keep adding new games, which they do for free and weekly, then it'll end up having better compatibility in the long run.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You can play digital or physical on the Xbox one. Basically it's the best of both worlds.

Only a limited selection of titles, and a majority of them smaller XBLA releases. The best of both worlds is every piece of content working natively at launch.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    You can play digital or physical on the Xbox one. Basically it's the best of both worlds.

Only a limited selection of titles, and a majority of them smaller XBLA releases. The best of both worlds is everything working natively at launch.

Everything on the Wii U didn't work natively at launch... because of their account system. I will never get my digital games back.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Only a limited selection of titles, and a majority of them smaller XBLA releases. The best of both worlds is everything working natively at launch.

Everything on the Wii U didn't work natively at launch... because of their account system.

Nah, millions of people transferred their stuff over and it all worked at launch.

Keep in mind the genesis of all this:
    One smart thing that Nintendo is doing is slowly turning their machines into Nintendo libraries that stretch back to their first console. Having a machine that not only plays new Nintendo games, but every game Nintendo has ever made, is something that only the PC can come close to matching.

Actually the Xbox is closer to that consider it doesn't make you pay for your collection every gen.

This is still inaccurate to state that Xbox is somehow closer to PC on this front because as Phillisphere said, VC stretches back to Nintendo's first console. The One doesn't go back that far, and even if it did, you're only talking 2 BC consoles dating back to 2001. Wii U has VC for what, at least 4 consoles and 2 handhelds? All the way back to 1985. It's still smart of them to build a library dating that far back, unprecedented outside of the PC space.

Xbox doesn't have the history to make any sort of statement about what they do "every gen" when it's got basically one gen transition under its belt...and on top of that, it's misleading to say that you don't have to pay for your collection, as if the whole collection is available, considering there are a scant ~50 retail out of 1200 games available in BC. Meanwhile 1600 retail Wii games worked on Wii U at launch.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They actually just broke 200 backwards compatible titles on the Xbox One last week.

• Options
    They actually just broke 200 backwards compatible titles on the Xbox One last week.

He specified retail

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Do they have Tenchu 3 on it yet?

• Options

A little over 50 of those retail.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

He specified retail

Nevermind then.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If Nintendo goes with hardware tie-in for another console I would be pretty surprised, and disappointed.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    They've been setting up a new unified network specifically so that won't be the case

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They've been setting up a new unified network specifically so that won't be the case

Do we know what their network is gonna be like? Is it going to work on the 3ds?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Do we know what their network is gonna be like? Is it going to work on the 3ds?

Not really yet

Because we don't really know if the NX is gonna be a hybrid or not like many suspect

Lots of questions! Answers relatively soon

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The blood sensor will tie games to your DNA. The NX represents the strand they will add to your DNA to track game saves and miitomo outfits and the kill switch.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    As far as we know the Xbox Scorpio and PS4Neo won't have any exclusive games, right? So as long as the NX matches the baseline Xbox One and PS4 that won't be the thing preventing it from receiving third party support.

Baseless speculation: The last three Nintendo consoles all had AMD graphics hardware. If the NX uses AMD's recently announced Polaris architecture it might be a decent piece of hardware.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    They have ability to do a yearly sub program like XBL or Plus, and leverage their huge library of classics. I know I would sign up tomorrow if they did so, and I don't even currently have a Nintendo System. Launch the NX with Mother 1-3 in English, and a Smash 4 or Melee port. Kick the weird hardware and do like their competitors. Hire more Third Party devs to make exclusives. They have the ability to do this, and I can't see the downside of adopting that.

This bit is rather a problem. With how costly making games is right now, buying AAA timed exclusives is going to be more money than Nintendo is going to feel they can afford, especially the amount that is probably going to be needed in order to convince third parties to release their games on a system everyone seems to already believe is dead before even coming out.

Seriously, the AAA market is unhealthy as fuck right now. There's a reason so many classic studios seem to be struggling and/or straight up closing shop. Unless you're a huge household name, every individual AAA game is basically a gamble that your entire studio hangs on, and a single bomb can mean bankruptcy and everyone in the company having to start perusing job listings - we live in an age where a game can sell a couple millions of copies and barely break even. Risk-less sequels in all the best-selling platforms are the order of the day. So I don't think third party devs are going to want to risk it unless they get basically all the money they would have expected to get from the game, up front, or the NX sells a gorillion units within two weeks of coming out.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Nintendo's main problem going forward isn't power, it's architecture conformity. They're off in their own world when it comes to hardware and internet services whereas Sony and Microsoft have both moved to very similar PC architectures and have basically identical online infrastructures. If the NX continues with proprietary tech then I doubt any third parties besides Ubisoft will give them the light of day.

One smart thing that Nintendo is doing is slowly turning their machines into Nintendo libraries that stretch back to their first console. Having a machine that not only plays new Nintendo games, but every game Nintendo has ever made, is something that only the PC can come close to matching.

Actually the Xbox is closer to that consider it doesn't make you pay for your collection every gen.

I dunno how much I trust XBox to continue making BC a priority. It only seems important to them when they're losing. It was important in the early days of the 360, coming right off a generation dominated by PS2. But once it was clear the PS3 wasn't really a threat, BC support petered out and died, leaving many games still incompatible or broken. I had a 360, but still held onto my oXBox because my games for it ran like shit on 360. I think if it flips back around next gen, they'll probably go back to not giving a shit.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Nintendo's main problem going forward isn't power, it's architecture conformity. They're off in their own world when it comes to hardware and internet services whereas Sony and Microsoft have both moved to very similar PC architectures and have basically identical online infrastructures. If the NX continues with proprietary tech then I doubt any third parties besides Ubisoft will give them the light of day.

I dunno how much I trust XBox to continue making BC a priority. It only seems important to them when they're losing. It was important in the early days of the 360, coming right off a generation dominated by PS2. But once it was clear the PS3 wasn't really a threat, BC support petered out and died, leaving many games still incompatible or broken. I had a 360, but still held onto my oXBox because my games for it ran like shit on 360. I think if it flips back around next gen, they'll probably go back to not giving a shit.

If anything next gen it will likely be far easier because they will almost certainly not greatly shake up their console architecture.

I'd expect to see backward compatibility become much more normalized going forward.

• Options

If anything next gen it will likely be far easier because they will almost certainly not greatly shake up their console architecture.

I'd expect to see backward compatibility become much more normalized going forward.

Not only that but I fully expect the Xbox one to continue to be catching up for the foreseeable future.

Which is awesome for owners of the system because they will continue to adopt more and more consumer friendly policies.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    a gorillion units

Yo, "gorillion" for Best New Number 2016. My compliments, @Drascin.

• Options

I would love to see that. But due to have lucrative remastering shit has become, I expect to see an opt-in system (ala Xbox One) at best going forward.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I would love to see that. But due to have lucrative remastering shit has become, I expect to see an opt-in system (ala Xbox One) at best going forward.

The Xbox One BC is opt-in because of technical limitations and how Microsoft managed to get it working. It should be easier for their future consoles to maintain support without having to renegotiate with publishers.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »

The Xbox One BC is opt-in because of technical limitations and how Microsoft managed to get it working. It should be easier for their future consoles to maintain support without having to renegotiate with publishers.

I hope you're right. I would love to avoid another 2014 next gen if it can be helped. But I don't have confidence that publishers will give up free money that easily.

• Options
    I really doubt there's going to be a traditional next gen.

No I don't.
  • Options
    After hearing them talk more about it, I think there will be, but I think it'll be a smoother transition than previous generational shifts.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

People say this every gen.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

People say this every gen.

Honestly, this is the generation that made me appreciate consoles and lose interest in building a gaming PC. Way too many games on the PC, especially games with multiplayer components, were inferior products with porting problems or massive hacking issues. I'll trade eye candy for stability any day, and the walled ecosystems of the consoles simply offer a better experience than the free-for-all of Steam.

• Options
    I didn't mean that there wouldn't be more generations, but that they wouldnt be traditional. Especially with the iterative approach we're seeing now.

No I don't.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can't remember the last game that actually used the touch pad as a TOUCH PAD and not just a button to get into a main menu. And the light bar is a complete joke; the player can't even see it. And I have all the controller speaker options turned off and I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything. So they really should have been able to make it work except for the fact they just wanted to sell more DS4s.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I kind of like some of the ways the games use the controller speaker. For like weapon reloading sound effects coming from there, or shaking the controller for the spray painting in second son and having the rattle sound effect coming from it.