As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Would the map taken from the hobs show that apparently secret door in the hallway between the rooms 6A and 6?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Don't worry about that...or if you must, its nothing more than a chute in the floor used as a garbage disposal. Maybe on the level below there is a very grump monster down getting kitchen scraps dropped on its head.

Oh.... I kinda like that.....see what you have done?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Garbage chute? More like convenient corpse disposal!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    And a magic portal that will spirit away anything smaller than a troll to the depths of some far off lake wasn't good enough for you?

Tough crowd.

• Options
    Truly, our cup runneth over with options.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The dwarf spends much of the trip back, and time resting, grumbling under his breath about halflings, elves, and lunch. "Tis' a dead end here, so Aye, I'd say we move sooner rather than later. And I not be swimmin'," he offers, and then goes straight back into grumbling. He then grunts towards Ay, "Th'elf's got a good enough suggestion. Wouldn't want whatever's penned up to be let out behind us as we wander around here."

Not keen on the water portal. Still up for tracking the drow back, but otherwise slave pens is a good choice. Almost think we should start meticulously exploring various rooms.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    If we're of the opinion that the 9 rooms are likely to be Zarr HQ, perhaps circling around through 14 and clearing the corners is worth considering, unless a surprise strike on the slave pens is more important right now.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Just keeping the map on the current page as a reference...
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    OK! The danger has passed for the moment. If you choose, the party can take a Short Rest safely here in the "river" room. Barran whips out his copied map of the area and you all gather around plotting your next move...You are all now in Room 6B. Room 4 was the ready room for Zarr's Army, 5 was the Basilisk Room, 7 was the language class room and Angus points out that rooms 8 are the slave pens, now probably empty. He's not too sure of the rest. Neblin also is not too much help. You'd think he would know more....but part of this game is exploration, damnit! Explore!

Dungeon Map:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Corners doesn't seem like a terrible idea. We'll find out relatively quickly if we're happening to be following the drow (since it appears they only have two ways to go: where we came from originally and down the corners), and if not, we're clearing around to the Slave Pens anyway.

Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Alright! I hate to take away some of your agency as players, but this slow deliberation could go on for a while and lets not turn it into a slog!

Let's work the corners! (Because the middle is kinda empty, tbh....the slaves from the room 8 pens, and the guards from the room 9 barracks are mostly gone to make their delivery. But you didn't hear that from me...) Edit: I'll work those rooms exploration into the narrative...

We'll let Geth decide! 1-10 means you head south to room 10, 11-20 means you head north-ish to room 14!

Geth, roll 1d20

1d20 7 [1d20=7]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Did we decide to take a short rest? As in wait out the drow while we take a break?

• Options
    I don't think it was specifically spelled out....but, Yes. Everyone please give yourselves the benefits of a Short Rest, spend any HD you need to and update your stat lines for whenever we get into the next scrap.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Ay helps the others quickly barracade the door shut, giving the group at least a little while to rest. Settling near the stream coming through the portals, Ay allows himself to meditate, reflecting on the events of the day. He's let anger cloud his judgement, and could use some time to center himself: The stream just adds to the serenity. After a short while, feeling refreshed, he gets up to figure out the parties next course of action. Making his way over to the others, he overhears them already discussing moving south.

"We should quickly check the slave pens on our way. It's likely they are already empty, but perhaps we can find some sign of where they are taking them. That is assuming they don't just sacrifice them all to that demonic chair."

Ay(XX) - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4

Not sure if we get the 6 THP again.

am0n on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "... and that's why you never take a gnome to an ogre fight," says Philo, finishing his story. "But seriously: if we run into one of those down here, keep your head down. We never did find poor Giribbin's."

Take your six temp HP, everyone!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Barran spends the hour doing some light housework and pulling the lighter goblin corpses out of sight. He waffles a bit between the closer disposal shaft and the back room, but decides to go ahead and toss the bodies into the rushing water where they quickly vanish through the portal, off to join the fishies. The work takes his mind off the most recent near-death experience he'd had; standing alone and bluffing his way through a conversation with those slavers was somehow more terrifying than facing a roomful of goblinoids that had been actively trying to kill him. Teamwork, hey?

Let's spend some hit dice:
    Geth, roll 1d8

Barran (XX)- AC:16, HP: 26(+6)/27, Spells:-/2

1d8 6 [1d8=6]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Don't forget your +1 from CON, @Bursar

• Options
    Dural spends his time wiping his hammer with a spare piece of old cloth, checking for nicks and scratches after the recent fight, particularly with the revelation of enemies not a room away from him earlier. He still grumbles, but his mood improves as he passes the time, thinking fondly back on that lovely sandwich he put together. "Should stop by the kitchen on the way out. For...supplies."

I was at max, so shouldn't need healing.

Characters
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    //ok, I'll spend some hit dice on healing. I can't remember if I've spent any yet D:

minion, roll 1d6+3

stats:

Ay - AC:16+2, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 0/4, HD: 2/4,
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 27/30, Spells: -/2/0, SP: 0
    Dural - AC:18, HP:33/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:20/20
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+2/38, 4 Sup. Dice,
    Barran- AC:16, HP: 19/27, Spells:-/2

1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Oh, I guess I will spend a hit die, forgot I got hit.

minion, roll 1d10+3

1d10+3 4 [1d10=1]

Characters
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    //ok, I'll spend some hit dice on healing. I can't remember if I've spent any yet D:

That's why I just include mine in my stat line (HD: 2/4). Makes it so I don't forget!

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Yeah...it occurred to me earlier that we should have been keeping better track of spent HD between Rests. Oh well.....we'll do better next time. After the next Long Rest, we'll consider ALL hit die to be restored and then start counting properly from there.

Gathering you gear, and salvaging as much of the wonderful and strange fungi, moss and cured rothe as Dural can (did someone tell him he's savoring elf food?), you make your way gingerly out of the kitchen and mess hall area and south through the hallways of Undermountain. The soft light from the glowing globes cast their glow, illuminating the area 20' before you and behind. Neblin frowns at your light sources and moves far enough away to not be seen. In fact, the deep gnome seems remarkably well suited to not being noticed. Barran, frankly, is jealous. After a few seconds, you seem to forget he's even there.

"This here be the slave pens..." Angus whispers, wrinkling his nose as a horrible smells hits you. The collected odours of dozens of unwashed sentients, gathered in fairly close confines and not given any facilities to care for themselves hits you. It is unpleasant, to say the least. At one point you see a bucket of water and some kobold sized mops ready to be used. The water is cold and the mops are dry. It looks like there were some peons assigned to clean out the pens, but what happened to them now is unknown (some pesky adventurers probably stuck a sword in them while they were supposed to learning to speak goblin...)

Descending a short flight of stairs, the squalor ends and a much more highly organized and cleaned set of barracks can be seen. Multiple rooms, with organized bunks and bedrolls. Hobgoblin barracks. The highly regimented and disciplined Hobgoblins take much better care of their own sleeping areas then the others do. Neblin reappears suddenly, putting his finger to his lips in the universally known "shhhh!" sign, and motions to put away the globes. Doing so, Barran and Philo are plunged into darkness, forced to hold their companions hands as they move through the room. From other barracks rooms further to the east some horrendous snoring can be heard. Multiple Bugbears, it sounds like. And if you listen really closely, there is some movement back there as well. Neblin urges everyone to keep moving through the tunnels, away from the snoring and eager to avoid detection, and you end up back in the hallway running north-south that you recognize from when you first entered the area. Neblin seems to have disappeared again as if sensing that the surface dwellers will need their lights. Also, you get the idea that he's really good at making himself forgettable.

Turning the corner now to head east, you see something troubling up ahead...webs. Big webs. Another 30 or 40 feet ahead of you, the webs lining the walls and ceiling grow thicker still...as if spilling out of the intersection. "Spiders." Angus grouses, clutching his stolen morningstar tightly. "Of course there be spiders. Stupid Drow. They can't get enuf o' 'em. Unnatural, I tell ye."

latest?cb=20111211000337
    (GIS is not helping me find exactly what I'm looking for...but you get the idea...)

I'll put up a map a bit later too, depending on how you want to approach this...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    The dwarf is in great spirits as they resume their trek through Undermountain...until the stench of the slave pens erases what lovely smells the food he had painstakingly collected he had been using a distraction from some of the more duller parts of this underground maze. Dural sticks close to Philo when the light sources are snuffed, nudging him now and again to keep him from tripping or running into anything obvious to him in the dark. His eyes are peeled for any sign of activity, but with the snoring echoing through the area his attention is paid more to finding a path through the area without obstruction rather than running into anything still awake.

It's the smell of the spiders that reaches him before the sight of webs. Or rather the subtle change in the air from noxious smells of refuse and cold stone, damp but cold and dry air, that characterized the slave pens, to the humid, clinging atmosphere as what ventilation might be down here is covered and concealed beneath web after web. Dural's eyes narrow and then his attention focuses, jumping straight into what he's familiar with: he secures his hammer to his back and begins to stop now and again, touching the walls and floors, picking up bits of detritus of the arachnid inhabitants in an effort to secure what knowledge he can about the lay of the land. Now and then he plucks a straying web, tussling out the patterns in the vibrations and noticing what, if any, smaller arachnids reveal themselves and in which direction they might seem to be congregating.

Pulling on his past career/life guiding adventurers in the wild and presumably at some point running into the forest variety of larger-than-typical arachnids, trying to put that knowledge to use in figuring out any obvious traps involving these spiders or other information regarding what to expect of how these creatures construct their environment.

minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival

Survival:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

Characters
  • Options
    While most of Dural's knowledge can be gleaned from the forest dwelling spiders, these webs do not seem any different. They look and feel the same as the webs that blanket the deepest parts of the forest, only clinging to ancient stonework instead of the boughs of ancient trees.

Dural would guess then that these spiders are not different from the ones he would be familiar with. That the Drow did not bring these particular spiders up with them from the depths of the Underdark. Rather that these ones are a more local variety of giant spiders that the Drow have formed a relationship with due to their inherent affinity with arachnids. A taste of home, so to speak, that they may have cultivated since coming this close to the surface. Its probably better for everyone involved that there are not any of the strange and more powerful varieties of spider involved....you hope.

There are no traps that the dwarf can detect. No telltale signs of pits that a fanged menace would spring from, or drop webs down upon your from. It seems as if the arachnids know that this hallways is to be kept mostly clear. The density of the web build-up head of you would likely indicate that you are approaching some sort of nest.

Dural releases the webs immediately when he remembers that the giant spiders are very good at knowing what happens to their webs. Any vibrations he sent down the web with his flicking are likely to be noticed by the spiders.

• Options
    Abruptly letting go of the webs once he realizes he might be dumber than he previously thought, he brushes his hands off before turning back to the others, speaking in a low voice, "Probably the same type o'spiders ye find aboveground. Or at least the ones that try an' eat people." Freeing his hammer and keeping it at the ready, he continues while pointing now and again at a section of webbing, "Odd thing, though. The creepy crawlies be keepin' the hallway clear. Cunning things, but ye wouldn't think they'd care for that much plannin'. Anyway, nest is probably right up ahead so...guess we'll find out how bad this infestation'd be soon enough."

Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I was debating whether or not to give you the opportunity to back away choose to deal with the bugbears and whomever else is in the barracks versus these spiders, and you still have that choice, but this might be fun too.

Dural's words prove to be prophetic as the chittering and clacking of thousands of tiny legs can be heard approaching... legs attached to hundreds and hundreds of spiders. A swarm of spiders approaches! But the experienced Dwarf knows that, given the amount of webbing, that this can't be all of them. This is the arachnid version of the scouting party.

latest?cb=20160325211446

Roll Initiative! Or Back Away Unthreateningly!

Stats:
    Spider Swarm - AC:12, HP:22, Dmg. Resistance (B/P/S), Immunities (charm, fear, paralysis, petrification, prone, restrained, stunned), Spider Climb, Web Sense, Web Walker
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 4/4, HD:2/4
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 26+6/27, Spells:-/2
    Dural - AC:18, HP:37+6/40, Spells:-/1, LoH:20/20
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+6/38, 4 Sup. Dice,
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 27+6/30, Spells: -/2/0, SP: 0

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    If it wasn't clear....this whole spider situation can easily be avoided by turning around and leaving. Or if you want to forge ahead, we can tussle with many legged creatures.

• Options
    As the skittery carpet approaches, Barran manages to find Angus in the darkness and nudge him to get the dwarf's attention. "How dwarfish are you feeling right now, on a scale of 'I'd rather be partying in a bar with my brother' to 'My blood boils with the chance to get immediate revenge on those who enslaved me'?"

Barran's edging away from the oncoming spiders, clearly ready to back off unless somebody leaps ahead and/or begins flinging magic about.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "You know this probably isn't the time but ... they look delicious."

// Salazar isn't keen on fighting; he'll be at the back somewhere!

• Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    As the skittery carpet approaches, Barran manages to find Angus in the darkness and nudge him to get the dwarf's attention. "How dwarfish are you feeling right now, on a scale of 'I'd rather be partying in a bar with my brother' to 'My blood boils with the chance to get immediate revenge on those who enslaved me'?"

Barran's edging away from the oncoming spiders, clearly ready to back off unless somebody leaps ahead and/or begins flinging magic about.

"A bit o' both." Angus admits. "But I'll follow ye all. You were good enough ta free me from the dark elves, the least I could do is stand by you until the time comes to go back up the well."

Oh no...you guys make the decision, not the NPC. :)

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Dural freezes as the spiders come into view and then leans back to get a view of what the others around him are doing. Seeing them fall back, he joins them, focusing his attention to any paths in these hallways that don't look like they've been heavily trafficked by bugbears, goblins, or other beasties lately.

If we retreat back far enough towards a light source, I'll be examining the ground trying to look for the absence of tracks in order to find a way around/through. Otherwise, if it's too dark, ignore the roll.

minion, roll 1d20+3 for Survival (Tracking)

Survival (Tracking):
    1d20+3 18 [1d20=15]

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Using the light sources you brought with you (the globes), Dural finds that the hallways are not well travelled by clumsy hobgoblin or bugbear feet that much but there are signs of movement from these types of creatures. They do pass this way often, perhaps understandably given the spiders but there some traffic. Without getting closer to the nest itself it's hard to be sure how far they do come. The hallway is mostly clear of webs. A careful traveler could pass without disturbing the nests.

More likely Dural suspects that the Drow are more likely to pass this way.

Edited for Clarity

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    As Dural is searching the area for signs of traffic, Angus is also looking around. Occasionally glancing up, not at the ceiling of the hallway but rather trying to get his bearings with the city above.

"Ya know...the well is thataway, yeah?" he says, pointing. "Which means the Yawning Portal...yeah! I think we're getting nearer to where the stirges were messin' with the City's sewer system! Just east of here, methinks! Oh...out past the spider webs...yeah. Still...if'n we solve the city's water problems there's bound ta be a reward, yeah?"

• Options
    The word "reward" rolls around in Barran's head like a coin bouncing down a staircase. What's a stirge? Some kind of fish, right? Apparently the eggs make for good eating, though presumably you'd have to convince yourself to eat a handful of fish eggs only after the rest of the perfectly good fish you'd caught is gone...

"I don't think spiders scream very loud," says Barran, crafty survivor of a hundred rolled-up newspaper skirmishes. "Maybe if we're careful we can clear our way through here without alerting the army at our backs."

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    @am0n @Mongrel Idiot

You guys wanna chime in? We've got a lot of wishy-washyness going on around here. :)

• Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    "I think we need to back up," says Philo, eyeing the webs. "See if there's a way around them. If it's really that easy for the Drow to come through here, I suspect that the spiders are acting as pickets for them."

• Options
    Nobody seems to want to tussle with some spiders. Alright then...Where to next?

Your Options Are:
    1) Spiders & then some Stirges(?) beyond them...
    2) Back to the middle and the barracks area...
    3) Way back up to the other corner and Room 14...
    4) Exit Zarr's area of the Dungeon and explore some more...
    4b) Exit Zarr's area of the Dungeon and head back up the well...

• Options
    "If we aren't prepared to deal with these creatures here and now, then let's retreat back to the slave pens for now. We know what threats await us this way, and standing here idly as they approach is not in our best interest."

My vote is to retreat since we don't seem sure of engaging. Once we are somewhere a bit safer, we can figure out whether we want to try the spiders, the bugbears, or explore further. In terms of what we do next, Ay would feel that dealing Zarr and her cronies is first priority, so either we take on the bugbears, which is likely not his first choice given their last experience, or we deal with the spiders and then stirges, heading to town after that for a well deserved break (assuming we aren't dead.)

• Options
    "If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the drow. You'll be fine Ay, they'll likely kill you. Me? These horns? This face!? I'll be some dark elf's pet. And Salazar is no one's but his own man!
    I could like with trying to fix the pipes. The water upstairs was kinda brown..."

• Options
    If it helps, remember that the two Drow you saw took food away from the kitchens. It might be safe to assume that the rest of the Drow are eating their lunches right now.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    If it helps, remember that the two Drow you saw took food away from the kitchens. It might be safe to assume that the rest of the Drow are eating their lunches right now.

so what you're saying is .. we should have poisoned them?