As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] StepN2theGAME

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Kashaar wrote: »
    I don't know how people can get so upset about it...
    Out of curiosity, do you honestly "don't know how people can get so upset" about the situation, or do you mean that rhetorically?
    Just rhetorically. I know that from a consumer perspective it sucks when you want to play a PC game on your PC and can't, but I also know that this is a kind of necessary evil in the current market.
    OK, cool. I disagree that it's a necessary evil, but thank you for explaining.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Regarding the upcoming Sony VR - is it the sit down and play sort of VR, or the room/play area based one like the Vive ?

I've seen a few videos of them both in action, and to be honest, I think I really just want to sit down, use the pad to move, and be happy looking around as I play whatever.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Regarding the upcoming Sony VR - is it the sit down and play sort of VR, or the room/play area based one like the Vive ?

I've seen a few videos of them both in action, and to be honest, I think I really just want to sit down, use the pad to move, and be happy looking around as I play whatever.

It's a mix. It supports using the Move controllers for motion tracking in games, but unlike the Rift and Vive it only has one camera and so you're limited by the hardware to not being able to play in a room experience in 360 degrees, so it's mostly front facing.

That said, the Rift's default setup will also be front facing, and with a big chunk of the market using PSVR or Rift, it's likely that developers will mostly tailor their games for front facing setups.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    It's more Oculus-like, i.e. limited to 180 degrees, with a better setup for couch asymmetrical multiplayer.

I tried Farpoint at E3 and quickly learned that trying to turn around and run backwards caused tracking problems with the gun.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    It's more Oculus-like, i.e. limited to 180 degrees, with a better setup for couch asymmetrical multiplayer.

I tried Farpoint at E3 and quickly learned that trying to turn around and run backwards caused tracking problems with the gun.

Worth stressing that "front facing" means 270 degrees, not 180.

• Options
    My cable extenders arrived yesterday, so I set them up and had a go. It's pretty great. Starting the default position in Oculus Home in the middle of the carpet, I can walk all the way to the water moat in all directions.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i showed my oculus to a pair of icelandic 10 year old girls and they went fucking BANANAS over it

i then showed it to their mother who has an eye problem causing her to lose stereo vision, and she started crying because it was the first time she felt like she had seen 3d in years

i have no idea how it happened but hey, good times

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i showed my oculus to a pair of icelandic 10 year old girls and they went fucking BANANAS over it

i then showed it to their mother who has an eye problem causing her to lose stereo vision, and she started crying because it was the first time she felt like she had seen 3d in years

@jclast

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also i just spent about a minute staring at a computer keyboard in a game

this technology is an artists dream; every single element of the world that ordinarily you just breeze past becomes so much more affective. i am v optimistic for what types of games this will encourage, let alone what the experience itself will be like with greater fov and lighter headsets

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    also i just spent about a minute staring at a computer keyboard in a game

this technology is an artists dream; every single element of the world that ordinarily you just breeze past becomes so much more affective. i am v optimistic for what types of games this will encourage, let alone what the experience itself will be like with greater fov and lighter headsets

I'm honestly looking forward to the makers of walking simulator type games just diving into VR with both feet. Experiencing something like Gone Home or Dear Esther would be pretty amazing.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Lets hope someone works out how to let you walk or it's going to be a long wait for those walking simulators.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I need to try some first person walking. Is there anything that has it right now? Nothing has given me more than just a twinge of oddness. Even EVE on full blast is fine.

• Options
    corin7 wrote: »
    I need to try some first person walking. Is there anything that has it right now? Nothing has given me more than just a twinge of oddness. Even EVE on full blast is fine.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Technolust.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wish I was an Icelandic lady. Does Sony have a listing out of where you can go to try their VR?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Elki wrote: »
    I wish I was an Icelandic lady. Does Sony have a listing out of where you can go to try their VR?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

@jclast

I am floored that VR could maybe show me what 3D is like, and now I want to try a kit out. God damn, I am excited!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    jclast wrote: »

@jclast

I am floored that VR could maybe show me what 3D is like, and now I want to try a kit out. God damn, I am excited!

PSVR demo locations - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

HTC Vive demo locations - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/htcvive/

Oculus Rift demo locations - https://live.oculus.com/bestbuy/search

I hope it can show you 3D depth. If it can't, I think you'll still have a great experience, because it's still going to be immersive, but the possibility is there, it seems.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're not able to perceive 3D, I'd imagine it's not going to look any different than how you already perceive the world. Only instead of the world you're going to be in the middle of lala land with the rest of us.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Can I have a VR game where I smash my hand with a hammer repeatedly?

Play this while holding a hammer?

You know I suppose that could make for a decent video, so long as it outputs at a usable resolution. I absolutely can't stand spiders but don't know how weirded out I'd be by VR ones.

idea for a game: Ants in the Eyes Johnson Simulator

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're not able to perceive 3D, I'd imagine it's not going to look any different than how you already perceive the world. Only instead of the world you're going to be in the middle of lala land with the rest of us.

Oddly enough, this isn't the case. The ability of VR headsets to produce stereoscopic depth perception in those that can't normally perceive it is a well known phenomenon. For certain forms of stereoblindness, it can sometimes even fix it permanently.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Bremen wrote: »

Oddly enough, this isn't the case. The ability of VR headsets to produce stereoscopic depth perception in those that can't normally perceive it is a well known phenomenon. For certain forms of stereoblindness, it can sometimes even fix it permanently.

I've heard more than one anecdote myself, not just the one from @surrealitycheck

I've not seen anyone offer an actual medical explanation for it, though. The best I can come up with is that stereo depth perception in real life requires the ability for your eyes to constantly change focus. A VR headset, on the other hand, has a fixed focal length (for example, the Oculus DK2 was focused at 1.3 meters, while speculation is the Vive and Rift are focused at infinity). This is done because eye tracking isn't yet a reality, and would be required to dynamically adjust focus. On top of that, you don't want people focusing as if the screen was an inch from their eyeballs (even though it is) because that's bad for your eyes, so the focal length provides eye relief.

That's the only significant difference I can think of between VR vision and real life vision, so it's got to be at least related.

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Wow, that's pretty cool!

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016

And actually this makes total sense after hours in VR. Also it seems to me one of the reasons that text further away than immediately in front of you is so hard to read. Seems distorted behind layer after layer like some weird ass aliasing.

corin7 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So, naive question, how is it comfortable to use VR when the light source is so close to your eyes? Doesn't sound like it's something that bothers people.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    So, naive question, how is it comfortable to use VR when the light source is so close to your eyes? Doesn't sound like it's something that bothers people.

Depends on the fit. I can't see any light through my rift. Or are you talking about in game?

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The screens are nowhere near as bright as the typical screen you will see. They don't need to be, because it's dark inside.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    because of the 'technically 10%' off game cards at best buy, I now have $300 loaded up on my steam wallet. 12~ hours until steam sale

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh shit the Best Buy down the road has a PSVR set up. I'd assumed you pretty much had to be in a metropolis like LA out San Fran to check it out.

I hope it's rad. Is it rad? I want it to be rad.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I've heard more than one anecdote myself, not just the one from @surrealitycheck

I've not seen anyone offer an actual medical explanation for it, though. The best I can come up with is that stereo depth perception in real life requires the ability for your eyes to constantly change focus. A VR headset, on the other hand, has a fixed focal length (for example, the Oculus DK2 was focused at 1.3 meters, while speculation is the Vive and Rift are focused at infinity). This is done because eye tracking isn't yet a reality, and would be required to dynamically adjust focus. On top of that, you don't want people focusing as if the screen was an inch from their eyeballs (even though it is) because that's bad for your eyes, so the focal length provides eye relief.

That's the only significant difference I can think of between VR vision and real life vision, so it's got to be at least related.

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

As I understand it, at least some forms of stereoblindness are caused by the brain learning to "ignore" the input from one eye when it's duplicated by the other eye. In which case, it might be as simple as the two displays of an HMD not being totally identical, since the pixels are going to be offset. That forces the brain to combine the details from both eyes to produce the best composite image.

Or that's my totally uneducated guess, anyways.

The optics in VR headsets do some trickery to make the display appear to be relatively far away from your eyes, which is why nearsighted people can still need their glasses but farsighted people don't. This also prevents the kind of eye strain you'd expect from staring at something inches from your eyes for hours.

The weight and presence of a display can be uncomfortable (though I got used to it fast) but I've never had any trouble with the display being too close.

Bremen on
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Anyone in this thread who have tried psvr, specifically how does it compare to vive and oculus? Come November the ps4 has finally reached critical mass for me to move in to the next gen consoles, and in really tempted to dip my toes in the vr stuff as well, but I'm not interested to spend money on something which is barley good enough.

• Options
    Morran wrote: »
    Anyone in this thread who have tried psvr, specifically how does it compare to vive and oculus? Come November the ps4 has finally reached critical mass for me to move in to the next gen consoles, and in really tempted to dip my toes in the vr stuff as well, but I'm not interested to spend money on something which is barley good enough.

PSVR is rad. Honestly don't sweat it. The rift has been slightly better but not in a way you notice much past the first minute or two. Plus PSVR is going to have a shit ton of exclusive software. It is a perfect place to start.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I hope the Steam sale tomorrow has some VR stuff in it.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4pbuiu/jason_rubin_about_latest_touch_engineering/
    "I will say we just got the latest revision of Touch hardware back that is not on the show floor, that is not in developers' hands. They just started coming off the production line and they're higher quality and better tracking than what you see today. We have the capability to do room-scale and we are still determining what our exact position is with regards to room-scale. Having said that, games like Job Simulator, Fantastic Contraption [are] fantastic games. They have said they will support Touch and they have said they will support our current system. So I don't feel like we're going to have a lack of content or that that content necessarily requires a launch room and I think over the next - and, again, we're not going to promise until we're absolutely sure that we can deliver on our promise - but it is something we're discussing," he said.

And so the process of gradually moving towards promoting roomscale begins. They'll carefully restate their opinions each week or fortnight, gradually becoming more and more pro-roomscale, until just before Touch launch when their comments and opinions will be like they were pushing it all along.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the thread title's bugging me. It reminds me of EA Sports. What's the thought process behind it?

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the thread title's bugging me. It reminds me of EA Sports. What's the thought process behind it?

https://web.archive.org/web/20120609050841/http://oculusvr.com/
    Why the name “Oculus? Because it is the Latin word for “eye”, and someone used the word in a meeting several months ago. I thought it was a nifty word, and was better than the alternative, “StepN2theGAME”.

And there you have it.

Best,

PalmerTech

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm seeing that there's a bunch of new things up on the StepUP2theSTREETS store, including some new free animation that looks pretty rad, and a few games, some of which sound good, some not so good. This is still where I wish I had a reliable source for reviews (from a site I'm already familiar with) or some sort of demo/trial facility to see whether things actually work on a fundamental level. But I'm glad there's new stuff coming along!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I picked up Daydream Blue, it's pretty fantastic. For $5 it only has to keep your attention for 30 minutes or so to be justified in purchasing, and I probably played for a few hours. Very nice, peaceful, blocky-graphics exploration game, felt a little like a more structured Minecraft. Definitely benefits from a decent amount of space to walk around - you get a tent and stuff and it's pretty cool to be able to sit down and crawl inside your tent if you have enough space to do s.

• Options
    And ABE VR was fucking terrifying.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    The thing that gets me to move house is going to be needing more room for my digital toybox, isn't it.

edit: Daydream Blue looks ideal and I am jumping right on that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png