Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Look upon my [game design] ye Mighty, and despair!

123457»

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    It might be neat to have a system where the DM/antagonist deck is made by the players, shuffled and draw from X times per their own turns.

Maybe as a risk-reward system of gaining money, experience and/or mana from monsters, with the tougher ones granting you more.

It depends very much on what the game is about at its core, but maybe the players are competitively out to look the most heroic, most cool, or having landed the most killing blows on monsters.

Again it depends on what cards are in the game, but perhaps they have to work together to have a powerful enough team to defeat the final boss too.

Edit: for the typos

Endless_Serpents on
    IanatorThe SauceEl FantasticoElvenshae
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It might be neat to have a system where the DM/antagonist deck is made by the players, shuffled and draw from X times per their own turns.

Maybe as a risk-reward system of gaining money, experience and/or mana from monsters, with the tougher ones granting you more.

It depends very much on what the game is about at its core, but maybe the players are competitively out to look the most heroic, most cool, or having landed the most killing blows on monsters.

Again it depends on what cards are in the game, but perhaps they have to work together to have a powerful enough team to defeat the final boss too.

Edit: for the typos

This idea reminds me of Cutthroat Caverns, which is a competitive/co-op game. You shuffle up 10 monsters out of a big deck that has about 20-30 or so for the group to deal with, and everyone's working together to kill them, but individually, you want the final blow so you get the most rewards, so you can throw cards at your competitors that nullify the damage they just did, or heal the monster, or other shady tricks.

That was a direction I was considering to take the idea, because I don't like big, drawn out 3-4 hour long experiences. There's a place for them at every board game table, but faster games with quick setup and tear-down are usually easier for most groups to handle.

That kind of fast plays per round style can be fun, but doesn't involve a lot of strategy since many things come down to "what cards do I have in my hand?" I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily. I would need to work in how does playing as the monster work versus playing as the robot, versus playing as the human or whatever. What benefits playing as one race over the other, which is really the same kind of class-based decision making you might make in other games. Balancing that is probably the first step to take.

akyxa17p3s5g.png
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited April 15
    I’ve had a similar game in mind for awhile, save you’re robbers doing heists, with damage being money taken, and killing blows being a treasure.

Perhaps a neat game might be character creation?

The entire game is built upon choosing race, nationality, backstory, class, sub-class, abilities and equipment. Who can end up as the most Final Fantasy looking character? How many belts are you wearing?!

Maybe enemies could be simplified down to their barest form, and colour coded. You know, slimes, zombies and other gross stuff are green counters, while beasts, drakes and ogres are red etc.

Then it could become a puzzle game of shifting the position of monsters on the board and taking them out in certain orders, changing the counters into a currency to buy more outlandish traits and fashion accessories per turn.

Endless_Serpents on
    The Sauce
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    That sounds not unlike the concept for Roll Player. The specifics are way different, of course, but there would need to be an obvious hook to differentiate it.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    El FantasticoAuralynxElvenshae
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Had a playtest session over the weekend and found a few things out of balance. But more importantly, I got a lot of the rules cleared up and rewritten for better clarity. I think it's actually starting to come together nicely. :)

I've attached the updated stuff if anyone cares to check it out.

Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    Endless_Serpentswebguy20ElvenshaeJustTeeThe Sauce
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 15
    JonBob wrote: »
    That sounds not unlike the concept for Roll Player. The specifics are way different, of course, but there would need to be an obvious hook to differentiate it.

Uhh, the hook is how many belts and zippers can my dream hero have? Also, pizza cutter swords and useless buckles on my elbows.

EDIT: Bonus points if this expands into general jrpg tropes. Magical girls with big anime eyes and gets more and more ribbons in her outfit. Generic silent protag hero who's not actually silent, he's just lonely and emo, but also, crazy hair.

El Fantastico on
    akyxa17p3s5g.png
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    I've been kicking around and testing a game design for about a year or so, but mostly just on my own with note cards and thoughts and small test sessions. Moving up to printed cards in sleeves, and I started to find some really amazing stuff out there.
    Here's what I'm workin' with so far:
    Arkship(name still a work in progress)
    Elevator Pitch
    It's Monster Hunter in Space meets 7th Continent-ish. A tactical co-op for 2-4 players where you jointly control a generation ship after it crashes into a planet way before its goal and try to repair it and explore your area. It's a Dungeon Crawler where the Dungeons are Planets Inhabited by Menacing Things!

Premise
    It's KDM without the Anime Bewbs / Random Dicks, with way less paperwork and more interesting decisions baked into the player turns. To essentially apply some of the lesson Aeon's End / Gloomhaven use to increase player agency and apply it to a Monster Hunter-like boss fight. In Space!

Core Gameplay Loop
    Similar to Gloomhaven, you have a hand of cards. Each card has a top (movement) and a bottom (attack) action. Pick 2 cards. You must overlap one card with the other so that the bottom card only has either its Left or Right margin visible. Since the values of your move/attack are in the margins, this effectively means that you lock in 2 "main" actions on 1 card, and then use the second card to Boost the values of either your move or your attack.

Once everyone picks their pair, players have an Initial Phase (name TBD) where you take ONE of your two actions. Then, the Monster draws a card and executes its turn. Then the players finish their actions. This is similar to the Spirit Island Fast / Invader / Slow paradigm.

There's a little cooldown mechanic (a la BattleCON) where you have space for 2 pairs of cards to recharge/wait, so picking a pair of cards locks it out of use for 2 full turns.

Secondary Gameplay Loop
    I've also been toying with expanding the typical dungeon crawler settlement phase with an exploration section similar to 7th Continent. It'd be a bit less convoluted than 7th continent (which hides tons of its rules behind discovery...for reasons?), but the idea would be to use cards to explore a galactic map one tile at a time. This would provide a similar mechanic to Gloomhaven Road/City events, but it would be a bit more visual in nature. This portion of the game is much less fleshed out.

Anywho, that's what I've been working on. So, now that I'm trying to print out cards / decks and actually see if my boost mechanic will work as I though it would, I've stumbled upon a few amazing tidbits of video.

First, if you have lots of cards with variables and frames and such:
    Basically, you have your card data in a spreadsheet. You design a single template in Adobe InDesign. Then you use the function DataMerge to populate the template with all your unique cards. Generates hundreds of cards at the push of a button, easily update-able whenever you make a change in your spreadsheet. It's made the idea of my game using multiple decks (some with unique backs, some with unified backs, etc) a daunting, dizzying prospect, to something that seems like it would be way tedious.

Now all I need is a nice paper cutter....

JustTee on
    Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    MNC DoverElvenshaeEndless_Serpents
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks to that video link in the spoiler, I finally got steered to game-icons.net. After just a few minutes of looking around and messing with the in-browser tools, I think I found some easy icons for my game. Super glad I found this site. Thanks @JustTee!

Twitch Page
    Steam ID
    The SauceElvenshaeJustTeeNips
    edited April 22
    Now that I’m not acting as the host for far too many roleplaying games I think I’ll take a stab at making a card game. In no small part inspired by MC Dover.

For now I’m calling it Sector Control. The vague backstory is you are a mastermind behind the scenes of a near-Singularity very far future galaxy in a hundred sided Cold War. There are no factions for you though, you can use any card. You’re not out to kill, you gain a nebulous currency of “advancement” by pitting them against each other in a societal/politick sort of way.

The initial mechanic is every card has up to 8 arrows on it, which can be used to connect a card to another one. If three are connected you gain 3 points, and the cards are taken from the board after a countdown of turns stated on the card.

Two players play their cards on the same board. Blocking each other, playing cards that forcibly move theirs or convert them would be a big part of it.

This simple system will be bolstered by effects and all that fun stuff we know from card games.

Junk below:
    9dxl2rgkmhfq.jpeg

Lotus Monolith
    S, SE
    Countdown: 3
    Resolution: Convert adjacent cards.
    (Hard to connect, but if you manage it once it’s countdown is complete and removed from the board you might change your opponent’s cards to your side.)

Zillion Barrage
    W, NE, SE, S
    Countdown: 2
    Trigger: If a Zillion card is placed, reset this card.
    (The Zillion are a rush down faction. If you play another card with Zillion in the name you remove any effect on it and, if it’s countdown has begun, it deactivates. This allows you to connect it up again with new cards.)

Continuous Motion
    X
    Countdown: X
    Placement: Rotate a card and resolve this card.
    (Part of a hippy faction, this card is an ‘instant’. Rotating a card alters how it can connect to other cards. It’s a risk not to put a card on the board; I’ll have to see if it works as I produce enough cards and play-test them.

Glory Seeker
    NE, NW, S
    Countdown: 2
    Trigger: If an opponent plays a card adjacent to Glory Seeker, destroy it and destroy Glory Seeker.
    (An obvious block, but if your opponent has a card in their hand that doesn’t work with what they’ve got set up easily overcome. Later cards will allow a player to thrive on a more violent style, and this ‘Sudra’ faction card would do that.)

Planted Agents
    SE, NE, NW, SW
    Countdown: 3
    Resolution: If you have the least advancement when Planted Agents resolves, you gain +3 advancement.
    (A rare sort of card that can only connect to opponent’s cards. A bit of a gambit, as you might give your opponent points, but if you’re behind it can give you a leg up. Played with other sneaky cards I’m sure it can have some purpose.)

Edit: I’ve also realised cards need to be noticeably activated, so I’m thinking either:
    - Cards are double sided, with a glow put on the art and arrows to show activation.
    - Just put a counter on it, I’ll need numbered counters to check the countdown anyway.

Endless_Serpents on
    MNC DoverThe Sauce
    To follow-up on the game-icons site, I messed around with the editor and created these icons:

c68u13aduoqt.png
    87c6adakmlvg.png

While I don't think either will make it into the final game, it was nice knowing that I could whip up something that looked semi-professional in a short period of time.

Twitch Page
    Steam ID
    JustTeeEndless_SerpentsElvenshaeNips
    Those are very cool! Now I’m interesting in that site too, even just for a short term bit of prototyping.

MNC DoverElvenshae
123457»