As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BREXIT] Farewell Europe, and thanks for all the Fish stocks

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »

Tweet from Michael Gove, needless to say people are ripping him to shreds over it, pointing out the EU is exactly what he is asking for here.

Seems like he forgot the next sentence: "no immigrants!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    An Asian friend of mine who lives in the states went back home to the UK and it struck me that I was genuinely worried about his safety for the first time.

Two lovely Asian lads in traditional dress were walking down the street today sharing their Cadbury's Milk Tray box with those passing by because they were celebrating Eid and breaking their fast. Reminds me A) how lucky I am to live in city like mine B) how far removed/unaware I am from the danger they may face.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Hey, good news, there's support for the idea that we shouldn't be using EU nationals as hostages when negotiating terms with the EU.

edit: caveat - this is only valid until we go to Nigel "the most electrifying man in British politics" Farage to find that he thinks we, in fact, should, and then the entire debate comes down to how badly we should treat them, or why do you hate your country.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

Hey, good news, there's support for the idea that we shouldn't be using EU nationals as hostages when negotiating terms with the EU.

edit: caveat - this is only valid until we go to Nigel "the most electrifying man in British politics" Farage to find that he thinks we, in fact, should, and then the entire debate comes down to how badly we should treat them, or why do you hate your country.

Considering if there was a free vote in Parliament on the EU referendum we'd still be in it, I'm not surprised.

This is another example of how this should never have been a public simple majority vote.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Whatever happens, our next PM is going to be a lady.

Which is quite good on one level and excellent for team Anyone But Gove

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Whatever happens, our next PM is going to be a lady.

Which is quite good on one level and excellent for team Anyone But Gove

But terrible when one thinks Cameron's Gay Marriage push was a mistake and the other has been calling to repeal the Human Rights Act for years

Gender is no barrier to awful opinions

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    See, if she was Andrea Leadsall she'd have a better chance

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Hasn't May called for plans to drop the HR act to be dropped recently?

So we've got a woman up to be our next PM. Question: Why have the 'orrible old tories led to us getting two female Prime Ministers when the left wing parties are struggling to elect a women as their leaders? (I say that as a Liberal Democrat who supports Tim Farron but I'm not going to deny that there seems to be a bit of a historical issue in my party as well).

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Labour don't have a coherent candidate at all, let alone the luxury of picking a gender.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »

So we've got a woman up to be our next PM. Question: Why have the 'orrible old tories led to us getting two female Prime Ministers when the left wing parties are struggling to elect a women as their leaders? (I say that as a Liberal Democrat who supports Tim Farron but I'm not going to deny that there seems to be a bit of a historical issue in my party as well).

She's recently backed down from the EUHR issue, so that's something.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    There are people within the party who would make for a good leader but nobody who is willing to be supported by the base, the TU's and the PLP, and really you need the PLP and at least one other.

Tom Watson is my guy.

• Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Rare moment of relief. May & Leadsom both seem terrifying but, just, anyone but Gove. This is my entire life-philosophy at this point. If Gove's not involved the situation has to be better than it might have been.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    There are people within the party who would make for a good leader but nobody who is willing to be supported by the base, the TU's and the PLP, and really you need the PLP and at least one other.

Tom Watson is my guy.

Lucy.

• Options
    Personally I'm torn because any small desire I'd ever have for Gove getting in was snuffed out by his hamhanded betrayal of Boris but I'm hearing some pretty scary stuff about Leadsom's personal politics

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Rare moment of relief. May & Leadsom both seem terrifying but, just, anyone but Gove. This is my entire life-philosophy at this point. If Gove's not involved the situation has to be better than it might have been.

quite

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Because they're pining for the good old days of Maggie.

Grog on
  • Options
    Grog wrote: »

The north remembers.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »

The north remembers.

CRQAjBI.jpg

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

It's interesting, because without the context of who that is, "finishes the job that Margaret Thatch started" sounds like a scathing criticism

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    yeah i dunno i have a hard time saying "well that's what they want so that's what they get" when the consequences are gonna hurt a ton of people, including people who don't even live in the country that held the vote

Yeah, because a representative democracy is supposed to prevent exactly this - mob rule. Just because a vocal but slim majority calls for something doesn't mean it should happen. I look to particular parts of the US where social issues are incredibly divisive as evidence for this.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Why do people care so much about the Trident program? Aren't they just submarines?

• Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about the Trident program? Aren't they just submarines?

It's not the submarines, it's the nukes. And the ridiculous cost of maintaining them.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Evidently there was a charity auction the other day, and one of the "items" on auction was breakfast with Boris Johnson

Not a single person bid on it

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

To provide context, NATO in general is terrified of the Russian doctrine of "de-escalatory nuclear strikes" that they've adopted as part of their war plans. NATO members started freaking out about the age and size of their nuclear arsenals after a Russian wargaming exercise in 2013 where Russia "ended" the conflict by nuking Warsaw.

We're in for a pretty tense 21st century.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Evidently there was a charity auction the other day, and one of the "items" on auction was breakfast with Boris Johnson

Understandable really, its not a proper British breakfast without chipolatas

ameybes on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

I'd have bet at least a Euro on it

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Then you could stand him up.

Or just send a person who needs a good feed in your place with some headphones.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

Then you could stand him up.

Or just send a person who needs a good feed in your place with some headphones.

I'd publicly give the breakfast away to Gove actually.

They look like they could use a nice brekkie to patch things up between them.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

To provide context, NATO in general is terrified of the Russian doctrine of "de-escalatory nuclear strikes" that they've adopted as part of their war plans. NATO members started freaking out about the age and size of their nuclear articles after a Russian wargaming exercise in 2013 where Russia "ended" the conflict by nuking Warsaw.

We're in for a pretty tense 21st century.

Canada is sending troops and material to Latvia to contribute to the tripwire forces there and that entire concept is truly fucking frightening

• Options
    Angela Eagle to announce Labour party leadership bid on Monday
    Angela Eagle is to announce a formal challenge against Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership of the Labour party on Monday, after the deputy leader, Tom Watson, announced that union-backed peace talks over a compromise had collapsed.

Watson claimed in a statement that Corbyn had torpedoed any hope of talks progressing by publicly declaring his intention to stay on as leader “come what may”.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Torpedoed it or devastated it with a submarine-launched intercontinental ballistic missile, separating into several independently targeted re-entry vehicles?

• Options
    Angela Eagle is to announce a formal challenge against Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership of the Labour party on Monday, after the deputy leader, Tom Watson, announced that union-backed peace talks over a compromise had collapsed.

Watson claimed in a statement that Corbyn had torpedoed any hope of talks progressing by publicly declaring his intention to stay on as leader “come what may”.

I think that the Labour rebels may have lost a bit of...

Momentum

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

And May is probably coming.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

I think that the Labour rebels may have lost a bit of...

Momentum

eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

And May is probably coming.

Well ... that can be read in a different light indeed.

• Options
    Oh and this was expected:

Brexit: government dashes hopes of second EU referendum in e-petition response
    The hopes of more than 4.1 million people who signed a petition calling for a second referendum on the EU have faded, after a response from the government saying it was a “once in a generation vote”.

Parliament must consider all petitions that reach a threshold of 100,000 votes for a debate and, although the decision has yet to consider the motion for a debate, the Foreign Office responded to the signatories by email on Friday evening, pointing out that over 33 million have had their say.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well, had dinner with my grand ma for her birthday. When the vote came up her reason was: "I voted leave because I don't want [my grand daughter] marrying a muslim. You've seen how they treat their women"

And everyone else at the table went very awkwardly quiet for a while.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Seol wrote: »

It's not the submarines, it's the nukes. And the ridiculous cost of maintaining them.

I am conflicted on Trident.

On the one hand, I take a practical attitude towards foreign affairs and think that if you want to be part of the big boys club in the modern world, having nukes is amongst the entry requirements. I also think that Trident is a pretty reasonably small but credible nuclear defence policy. There's no need for that and traditional missile silos, for example.

On the other hand, Trident is really expensive and NATO doesn't really need lots of nukes. If the UK gave up it's nuke arsenal and spent that money on conventional defence assets then we'd have an RAF and Royal Navy which were much more capable and there's a lot much practical functionality to be got out of strike fighters, frigates and armoured brigades than there are from a bunch of missiles you'll never fire. However that would mean that essentially we'd be more reliant on the US for nuclear defence policy than ever before.

Although we already essentially are, given that they are shared munitions anyway. And I'd like the UK to have more of a credible role in actual NATO operations because it would 1) take some of the weight off the US, and really NATO should expect member nations to pull their weight and 2) it would allow NATO policy to be more influenced by non-US sources and I think that'd be a good thing.

So yeah, I think I'd be cool with scrapping Trident if we then spent that money on other defence assets. But we almost certainly wouldn't. I think we will vote to retain Trident, though, if it goes to Parliament.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Seol wrote: »

I am conflicted on Trident.

On the one hand, I take a practical attitude towards foreign affairs and think that if you want to be part of the big boys club in the modern world, having nukes is amongst the entry requirements. I also think that Trident is a pretty reasonably small but credible nuclear defence policy. There's no need for that and traditional missile silos, for example.

On the other hand, Trident is really expensive and NATO doesn't really need lots of nukes. If the UK gave up it's nuke arsenal and spent that money on conventional defence assets then we'd have an RAF and Royal Navy which were much more capable and there's a lot much practical functionality to be got out of strike fighters, frigates and armoured brigades than there are from a bunch of missiles you'll never fire. However that would mean that essentially we'd be more reliant on the US for nuclear defence policy than ever before.

Although we already essentially are, given that they are shared munitions anyway. And I'd like the UK to have more of a credible role in actual NATO operations because it would 1) take some of the weight off the US, and really NATO should expect member nations to pull their weight and 2) it would allow NATO policy to be more influenced by non-US sources and I think that'd be a good thing.

So yeah, I think I'd be cool with scrapping Trident if we then spent that money on other defence assets. But we almost certainly wouldn't. I think we will vote to retain Trident, though, if it goes to Parliament.

Scrapping it and spending at least part of the saving on a couple more carriers would be where I'd start. Very flexible assets and perhaps more importantly, ones that are incredibly useful in a humanitarian role, given that they are a mobile self powered town with medical facilities and a small airport.

7qmGNt5.png