Options

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    don't try to argue someone into seeing something they've decided they don't want to

it's an extremely goosey move

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That's not a thing.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    it is absolutely a thing

exhibit a being you, just now

and it bugs the hell out of me when people do it

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Different people are absolutely allowed to have different limits on what they can tolerate in media

• Options
    dapper hasn't actually said that this is past their limits, though

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Okay but that's not the point, the point is:don't try and force other people who have different identities to accept your own level of comfort with a piece of media

You got super aggro about it! And I get it, I get real passionate about advocating for stuff I love

But also: I don't expect everyone to love what I do and challenging their reasoning for doing so (like you did with kilroy) only serves to further alienate people from engaging with The Thing I Like

In 2016 a fandom can be very intricately entangled with the thing itself and it can mean that advocacy of the thing is tricky

Like say, with hamsteak

• Options
    How was I aggro about it?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    near as I can tell, this, and the brushing aside of a valid complaint
    cB557 wrote: »
    Is the homophobic stuff in early Homestuck a dealbreaker?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    near as I can tell, this,
    Is the homophobic stuff in early Homestuck a dealbreaker?
    I don't understand how this is aggro?
    and the brushing aside of a valid complaint
    and I'm not sure what this is referring to.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    That's one episode out of like, fifty-two. The show is still a must-watch.

Unfortunately, when a show has even one episode that throws around really shitty marginalizing and dehumanizing language, it tends to cast a fog over its surrounding media.

The fact that the people behind a show even were okay with doing it once can make much of the rest of the show leave a bad taste in one's mouth, and make someone even feel shitty for continuing to watch it.

I had a similar thing happen with a guy I was into on YouTube, GradeAunderA. I used to watch a bunch of his stuff.

However at one point in one of his videos he makes fun of another YouTuber in the context of them having being very emotionally vulnerable after getting out of an abusive relationship with a very toxic person, and that seriously grossed me out. I've barely seen anything of his since then, and it will probably be a while before I regularly follow his work again, if I ever do.

I take abuse extremely seriously, and anyone who makes light of it gets on my shit list pretty damn quick.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Someone said "this shitty thing is enough for me to write this off" and rather than trying to understand or accept their opinion you literally dismissed it by saying "that's only one episode, watch it anyway". Like, that's definitively trying to tell other people how to feel about something. And then when people tried to explain to you why that's shitty, you dug up a different example as if to "challenge" their point of view. Maybe that wasn't your intention but I'm having a hard time finding another reason for bringing up homophobic stuff in Homestuck.

And, by the way, the answer to that is yes, it can be a dealbreaker. But not necessarily for the same people. The way that material is presented and the exact nature of it goes a long way toward determining whether it's something people are willing to put up with, and that line is a very personal thing that can vary from person to person and doesn't have to make sense to you. No one owes anyone any explanations for what they are and aren't okay with. If you want to try and understand their perspective, that's fine, but when you do it in a way that is not respecting that point of view and/or feels like you're trying to argue it, they're probably not going to be very inclined to speak with you about it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Someone said "this shitty thing is enough for me to write this off" and rather than trying to understand or accept their opinion you literally dismissed it by saying "that's only one episode, watch it anyway".
    No, Speed brought up the episode. I was saying Dapper should try it, not Speed. Speed's already watched that show.

• Options
    I'm realizing that there may be some confusion on one point: I'm not saying that if you tried the show and didn't like it, that you have to keep watching until you like it or anysuch. Just that if you haven't watched it, you should give it a try because it's really good.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hey cB557 you're being extremely dismissive of other peoples feelings and a huge goose about an extremely personal and subjective aspect of media

Maybe step back and look at what you're saying instead of continuing to insist that what you said was fine

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Hey cB557 you're being extremely dismissive of other peoples feelings and a huge goose about an extremely personal and subjective aspect of media

Maybe step back and look at what you're saying instead of continuing to insist that what you said was fine
    I have been doing so and I'm pretty sure it's that I've miscommunicated in some way as opposed to that.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

I have been doing so and I'm pretty sure it's that I've miscommunicated in some way as opposed to that.

Okay, it's good that you understand that. but the thing is you've made your case known and you keep pushing.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    People were saying I was being goosey and I disagreed.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Getting defensive following criticism

get a load of this human everyone

Let's dogpile him

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Let's dogpile him

people calmly explaining to someone why their behavior was not good ≠ dogpiling

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

Let's dogpile him

Disagree but I think I might change my mind if 5-10 others also calmly tell me that it's not dogpiling

actually, genuinely would like to see that

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Y'all.

Come on.

• Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

Let's dogpile him

Disagree but I think I might change my mind if 5-10 others also calmly tell me that it's not dogpiling

actually, genuinely would like to see that

I mean, it's not . No one was trying to score internet points or berate anybody for being wrong. It was a civilized discussion. Also it wasn't a string of replies to a single post, it was an actual conversation, which is another difference between a disagreement and a dogpile. Any instance where someone has an unpopular stance is not a dogpile, that would make discussion of anything nigh impossible

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I think the point is officially across for both sides now. We're probably good here.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So that Undyne, huh? And that Papyrus, what a character.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Damn, with this many updates, I was hoping we finally were getting the epilogue.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So that Undyne, huh? And that Papyrus, what a character.

He's more of a character set.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Awww

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    That is an incredibly good Rose

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Just realized the chief scientist in Stranger Things is named Dr Brenner.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Alpha Episode 1: Let Me Tell You About Bonus Episodes

tumblr_inline_oc0jfa48ib1qdi3vj_540.gif
    As another person falls into the Homestuck fold, so too do the dark engines of LMTYAHS start again. Ashley is now joined by her friend and Totally Reprise co-host Molly to dive deep into the depths. They discuss what Molly has read so far, meet an Aimless Renegade, discuss just how cute baby Jade is and just when things pick up we are thrust into the world of The Midnight Crew.

These episodes should come out on Tuesday for the foreseeable future.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Undertale comic

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That is clearly the way it happened.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

As another person falls into the Homestuck fold, so too do the dark engines of LMTYAHS start again. Ashley is now joined by her friend and Totally Reprise co-host Molly to dive deep into the depths. They discuss what Molly has read so far, meet an Aimless Renegade, discuss just how cute baby Jade is and just when things pick up we are thrust into the world of The Midnight Crew.

Ashley did a really good job on this ya'll

almost makes me self conscious to post

Episode 14: Let Me Tell You About Making Things Hapen

?format=750w
    It's a Homestuck double-header today! Luke and Ashley barrel onward toward the end of Act 3, exploring John's love for his friends, the Aimless Renegade's crush on the Peregrine Mendicant, and Jack Noir's begrudging respect for John's dad. We also get some hints about the nature of Jade's future-sight, meet a few more trolls, and Ashley endorses my erstwhile OTP before everything rockets headlong into the end of Act 3.

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

Ashley did a really good job on this ya'll

almost makes me self conscious to post

Episode 14: Let Me Tell You About Making Things Hapen

?format=750w
    It's a Homestuck double-header today! Luke and Ashley barrel onward toward the end of Act 3, exploring John's love for his friends, the Aimless Renegade's crush on the Peregrine Mendicant, and Jack Noir's begrudging respect for John's dad. We also get some hints about the nature of Jade's future-sight, meet a few more trolls, and Ashley endorses my erstwhile OTP before everything rockets headlong into the end of Act 3.

Multiple updates in one day? What is this, Homestuck?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I cracked up at "john and jade seem very brother and sisterly, I don't think they'd be a romantic thing"

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    "Height stuff kinda gets me" - Speed "Luke" Racer

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    These are both very good episodes

"Listen, you were promised lesbians, you'll get lesbians."
    *GrimAuxiliatrix began pestering TentacleTherapist*