As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I, your benevolent stellar God, protect you from the things that live in the depths of space beyond my rays

Rejoice, citizens

Wait, you dropped your book. Hmm, "To Serve Man", how kind of you.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I, your benevolent stellar God, protect you from the things that live in the depths of space beyond my rays

Rejoice, citizens

Thanks fam.

S'all good

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Awww man I missed my chance to rant about how much I hate the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Awww man I missed my chance to rant about how much I hate the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox!

It's never too late!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

It's never too late!

Nah other people here covered my gripes pretty well as to why they are both based on enormous piles of unfounded assumptions.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Your face is an enormous pile of unfounded assumptions!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Rekt.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Awww man I missed my chance to rant about how much I hate the Drake Equation

nk4Mh6y.jpg

don't hate

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is that picture supposed to mean something?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Thats drake

And also equations

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    From Drake & Josh? I thought he was white.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    No from Drake

and also Canada I guess

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

drake from degrassi

Brolo on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    years ago when cable TV was a thing I'd be looking through the menu and see "...The next generation" and think "sweet, Star Trek TNG is on" but nope, it was just Degrassi: TNG.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    No from Drake

and also Canada I guess

And De Grassi or whatever

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I never watched it, is degrassi the millennial saved by the bell?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I never watched it, is degrassi the millennial saved by the bell?

no, the original series i think predates save by the bell. it however is canadian.

• Options
    Canadian TV gets a free pass from me for having a vampire homicide detective series.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Also SCTV which had John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, and Dave Thomas.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Canadian TV gets a free pass from me for having a vampire homicide detective series.

Before even the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, I think, never mind the Angel spinoff.

Also a show called Cold Squad, years before Cold Case.

...basically before they started repackaging British reality TV like a liquidation store, it seemed to me like a surprising amount of American TV was just "hey this series worked well on those Canadians; let's make it slicker for more money and we can probably make bank".

(They probably didn't do that with DeGrassi because it was less aggressively Canadian. Forever Knight was very much set in Toronto, and I'm pretty sure no American procedural would even be put into production if there was a chance a lead would ever say "outside of Estevan, Saskatchewan" in the script.)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    What's with Saskatchewan and the fun-to-say names?

Like Saskatoon.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    What's with Saskatchewan and the fun-to-say names?

Like Saskatoon.

https://youtu.be/X9xI5lOQCSY

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I SAW A WAXWING. AAAAH THEY'RE SO COOL

Their feathers are so silky!

Fun fact: you can tell the age of a waxwing by the number of waxy tips. They don't have any the year that they hatch, and after their first winter, they'll get a couple, but to get a full collection like in the picture, the waxwing has to go through a second winter. It has to do with annual molting patterns.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I would have 100% guessed that a "waxwing" was an insect based on Metzger's post.

Birds are weird.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Awww man I missed my chance to rant about how much I hate the Drake Equation

nk4Mh6y.jpg

don't hate

so we’re still waiting for ither civilizations to call us on our cell phones

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    somewhere out there an alien race has developed TV/Radio just in time to receive our signals and our programming is blowing their minds.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I hope they don't see Ancient Aliens

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    TheStig wrote: »
    somewhere out there an alien race has developed TV/Radio just in time to receive our signals and our programming is blowing their minds.

It's already happened. There's even a documentary about it!

HbiMzIv.jpg

Tynnan on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I really need to rewatch that movie now that I'm not a kid.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I would have 100% guessed that a "waxwing" was an insect based on Metzger's post.

Birds are weird.

There's actually three species of waxwing! The one in @Mayabird 's post is a cedar waxwing, which are common pretty much everywhere in North America, generally.*

There's also the bohemian waxwing, which I actually have never seen! I don't think. It is possible I have and confused them for a cedar. IANAO.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Bohemian_Waxwing/overview

They're pretty similar, and the cedar waxwing is one of my favorite birds.

(Most birds are my favorite birds.)

Edit: *DEPENDING ON THE TIME OF YEAR

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    I really need to rewatch that movie now that I'm not a kid.

You should! It's great! And I don't mean in an ironic way, or because it's one of my personal favourites despite being quite flawed (because it IS one of my personal favourites and it is NOT quite flawed), it's just a good movie. Nobody won any Oscars (I don't think?) but it's worth a rewatch every few years because it's so much fun.

• Options
    Galaxy Quest is hands down the best Star Trek movie. It's genuinely great. It's basically my husband's favorite movie, we watch it like once a month probably and it's hilarious every time.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Scientists accidentally create mutant

OH BIBBLING CHRIST

...enzyme that eats plastic bottles

*phew*
    The new research was spurred by the discovery in 2016 of the first bacterium that had naturally evolved to eat plastic, at a waste dump in Japan. Scientists have now revealed the detailed structure of the crucial enzyme produced by the bug.

The international team then tweaked the enzyme to see how it had evolved, but tests showed they had inadvertently made the molecule even better at breaking down the PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plastic used for soft drink bottles. “What actually turned out was we improved the enzyme, which was a bit of a shock,” said Prof John McGeehan, at the University of Portsmouth, UK, who led the research. “It’s great and a real finding.”

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Is this when the plastic eating bug gets loose, developes a super low energy distribution method and turns modern society in to goo?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Is this when the plastic eating bug gets loose, developes a super low energy distribution method and turns modern society in to goo?

I, for one, am not really looking forward to living in The Andromeda Strain.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pff we make mutants all the time. Not always on purpose, either.

Usually they don't do anything. Usually.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :/
    It occurs to me if we could make plastic out of, say, trees instead of oil, it would have made a good carbon sink.
    If it sank.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Given it was discovered in a garbage dump, it's already loose.

But in this case they just took some of the weak enzyme it produces and made the enzyme stronger. They didn't make the bacteria itself produce a stronger enzyme.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    So... Is it salt water safe?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Pff we make mutants all the time. Not always on purpose, either.

Usually they don't do anything. Usually.

Hey guys remember when we almost destroyed all plant life on earth with a GMO klebsiella strain that could survive off alcohol? (fakedit: turns out this was fake science pushed by the green party and cracked made a funny clickbait article on it) (http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/GEessays/Klebsiellaplanticola.html)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.