Options

GhostBusters: Aint Afraid of No Reviews

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I felt all the extra weaponry was pointless, and the guns akimbo scene generated the most fervent of eyerolls.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    It makes sense for Holtzman to experiment with a lot of different designs simultaneously and see what works, rather than putting all your eggs in one basket by giving the same design to everyone.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It wasn't pointless, it was the basis for toys you can buy, IN STORES NOW!

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    It wasn't pointless because it was fun

Which is what movies are for

...well, that's what I heard

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I love the word "akimbo".

• Options
    edited August 2016
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Ehhh. I'm not going to discredit your opinion. But for me the movie wasn't very fun. I keep saying it again and again that I feel like everyone who enjoyed the movie saw a different movie than I did.

And despite a thirty plus year record of mega fandom for the franchise this movie actually killed my buzz. If the franchise is going to lose its soul and just be like every other modern comedy I think I may just be done with the franchise in general. I mean I will still watch the old ones all the time and watch my RGB DVDs with my kids. But as far as wearing my logo wear and my flight suit etc. I think I am done for a while.

And I can't understate how that really shakes me to my core.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    movies are not supposed to be fun they exist to create internet arguments

override367 on
  • Options
    It makes sense for Holtzman to experiment with a lot of different designs simultaneously and see what works, rather than putting all your eggs in one basket by giving the same design to everyone.

Nothing about Holtzman made sense.

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    I wish all the people who recently started to care, over the past few years, about women in film, would have went to see the Witch while it was in theaters.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Ehhh. I'm not going to discredit your opinion. But for me the movie wasn't very fun. I keep saying it again and again that I feel like everyone who enjoyed the movie saw a different movie than I did.

And despite a thirty plus year record of mega fandom for the franchise this movie actually killed my buzz. If the franchise is going to lose its soul and just be like every other modern comedy I think I may just be done with the franchise in general. I mean I will still watch the old ones all the time and watch my RGB DVDs with my kids. But as far as wearing my logo wear and my flight suit etc. I think I am done for a while.

And I can't understate how that really shakes me to my core.

Yeah, that's quite possibly much more of a subjective issue than a problem with the move

I have a hard time articulating this to people, but the original film is more than just my all-time favorite movie.

Ghostbusters hit theaters almost exactly a year after I was born. It was fresh on cable when I was forming my first freakishly early memories. I would insist on trying to watch it, then be scared into nightmares regularly and often for the first six years of my life. And the same with sequel. I had action figures and toys and a proton pack (with the foam neutron stream). I could quote the entire movie by the age of eight, and had always gotten most of the jokes.

My best friend and I, both in our early- and mid-30's now, can essentially live out entire work days by dealing with them through GB quotes. He's kind of pissed by the new movie.

I just saw A Different Ghostbusters. Not lesser, but different.

But that's been a lot of my nerdsperience; I literally learned to read through Marvel comics. The first song lyrics I memorized were the Spider-Man theme. I wore a Spidey action figure on my highschool graduation mortar board. In 1999, Marvel actually authorized my band to use the band name The Righteous Spider-Men, in writing. I've still got the email from their legal department.

But these things live on

Peter Parker becomes Miles Morales; Spengler becomes Holtzman; Bruce Banner becomes David Banner becomes Bruce again.

Someday, John McClaine becomes Jenna; Axle Foley becomes Alejandro; Luke becomes Rey and Han becomes Finn

Our childhood can never be destroyed by somebody else's- only made greater by bringing joy to a new generation. If GB16 doesn't hold up on rematch, I can throw my pour a glass of scotch and throw in my copy of the original. And we all remember the lyrics to our favorite theme songs.

If you're worried you'll forget about your favorite things, here's a test: MagicPrime! What is best in life!?

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    The first one felt like just another 1980s comedy excuse for Bill Murray to play Bill Murray for 85% of the screen time.

Which isn't the worst thing in the world, because he is hilarious, but it didn't become any more special to me than Stripes.

• Options
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

• Options
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Then you know

These things that you love will always be unspoiled

You know

The riddle

Of steel

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this reboot was based around the evolution of New York itself. Because I'm not a native New Yorker, but I'm sure that a bunch of SNL cast members asking themselves "What does New York mean to me?" today would have a very different answer from people asking that same question in the 1980s.

A lot of people say they miss the dry humor of the original, but a lot of that might be due to how much the city has changed. I'm sure that the cast of "Hot Fuzz" could probably knock a reboot of Ghostbusters out of the park, but then it wouldn't be New York anymore.

Another big shift in the reboot is that the original movie tries to make ghostbusting a blue collar activity with blue collar goals: Exterminate ghosts for $$$. The reboot turns ghostbusting into an academic activity with academic goals: Find proof that ghosts exists. Which is probably a lot more realistic. In the original movie, they go straight from seeing one single ghost in the library to deciding to go into business around Ghostbusting, where they develop all their equipment and build a containment system before they even have any idea what the market is. It only works because Bill Murray is basically a charlatan rather than a true believer, who treats his job as more of a con than a legitimate service.

The librarian ghost from the original is also just a gaping plothole in general. Like, here's definitive proof that ghosts are real, and all you have to do is visit the library to check it out. Why isn't that bigger news? Also, why don't they bother testing their equipment on the librarian?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this reboot was based around the evolution of New York itself. Because I'm not a native New Yorker, but I'm sure that a bunch of SNL cast members asking themselves "What does New York mean to me?" today would have a very different answer from people asking that same question in the 1980s.

Not much from the original was based on 1980's New York. There's the mayor and there's the throwaway line that the firehouse is in a DMZ, while these days even East New York is getting gentrified, but the rest of the film is around the UWS or the Plaza hotel on 5th. Areas that have become safer since the 80s, but haven't really changed their character, not like Williamsburg or TriBeCa or the like. Ghostbusters 2 was more NYC culture-centric, but the less said about that movie, the better.

Changes are probably more due to different comedic leads, having four main characters instead of three, and more general trends in comedy writing. Three beat comedy skits don't lend themselves to either subtlety or letting jokes breathe.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, that reminds me

Even if you don't like how the optics for Patty, at least the one minority lead made it to the fucking poster

In the end, I'd say that's positive change enough.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I kinda liked Patty's vacuum shredder. I hated the punch glove. The other weapons ranged from cool to fine, but the issue was the world building. The original just laid out the rules to catching ghosts so clearly. You hold them steady with the proton stream, you trap them in a field unit, you contain them in a specially built storage facility. It was so intuitive and just looked so convincing that my mind will no longer accept that you can just shoot a ghost to make it go away. Especially when this was reinforced with the original video game and the cartoons, it's just more interesting.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    That is true, this remake needs to make ghost-rules more clear. I mean, one ghost gets taken out (or carried away, I'm not quite sure) by a subway train, and a ghost-balloon gets popped by a swiss army knife. The proton beams seem to be used like whips... And I think they only used the ghost-traps once for that gargoyle ghost; otherwise they just... whipped them into the ground or something?

I mean it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the movie, but world-building is fun. Especially since they clearly want to expand this into a franchise; this should have been the ground-rules movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I kinda liked Patty's vacuum shredder. I hated the punch glove. The other weapons ranged from cool to fine, but the issue was the world building. The original just laid out the rules to catching ghosts so clearly. You hold them steady with the proton stream, you trap them in a field unit, you contain them in a specially built storage facility. It was so intuitive and just looked so convincing that my mind will no longer accept that you can just shoot a ghost to make it go away. Especially when this was reinforced with the original video game and the cartoons, it's just more interesting.

For me them just throwing the ghosts around was very lazy. On a shallow level maybe people thought it was a good action scene. But I couldn't help but think that they should have done something more clever than just devolve into a CGI acid trip.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

Then you know

These things that you love will always be unspoiled

You know

The riddle

Of steel

This line of posts seems funny to me because they actually did try a Conan remake in 2011 and it was a flop.

It seems pretty clear to me that there have been many, many terrible remakes of cult 80s films hoping to rake in that nostalgia money. And just like Conan (2011), Total Recall (2012), and Robocop (2014); Ghostbusters (2016) is bad movie that will have a weak response and be ultimately forgotten.

Many people who have invested a lot in the politics of an all woman cast are trying to interpret this in a different way, and I'm sorry, but I don't think your view is based on objective fact. I don't mean this as an insult, it's easy to become blinded by issues important to us, but we need to step back a bit here.

BTW, I've wanted to post my opinion to this effect since the thread started but was intimidated from doing so by the "FUCK THE HATERS! This movie is doing SO well despite those sexists! Fuck anyone saying anything to the contrary!" sentiment earlier in this thread. It feels like only now, as political fervor cools, and box office results are coming in with cold, objective numbers to back up negative reviews that it's safe to openly critique the film.

And that's something else I think we need to step back from.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    How is the movie being bad an objective fact? I didn't give a shit about the politics of the movie, but went in expecting a sub par remake, and instead found a thoroughly enjoyable movie.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    tumblr_nyyemtUVTv1qcu3ieo1_400.gif

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

This line of posts seems funny to me because they actually did try a Conan remake in 2011 and it was a flop.

It seems pretty clear to me that there have been many, many terrible remakes of cult 80s films hoping to rake in that nostalgia money. And just like Conan (2011), Total Recall (2012), and Robocop (2014); Ghostbusters (2016) is bad movie that will have a weak response and be ultimately forgotten.

Agreed.
    Many people who have invested a lot in the politics of an all woman cast are trying to interpret this in a different way, and I'm sorry, but I don't think your view is based on objective fact. I don't mean this as an insult, it's easy to become blinded by issues important to us, but we need to step back a bit here.

It is, and it isn't. It is like those remakes that it was a cash grab by the studios because it's cool now to revamp IP's from 80's movies/dead franchises, what makes it different from those remakes is that they were involved in a faux GremlinGlink debacle. That the movie was attacked on political lines, including the cast personally, merely for having the audacity to have an all-female GhostBusters reboot is something that shouldn't be ignored. It happened, whether you want to talk about it or not. Nobody is stopping you from not referencing that in your opinions of the movie, in fact I welcome it - but please, don't try to bury it from being in the conversation. It isn't the first movie to be a political firestorm and won't be the last.
    BTW, I've wanted to post my opinion to this effect since the thread started but was intimidated from doing so by the "FUCK THE HATERS! This movie is doing SO well despite those sexists! Fuck anyone saying anything to the contrary!" sentiment earlier in this thread. It feels like only now, as political fervor cools, and box office results are coming in with cold, objective numbers to back up negative reviews that it's safe to openly critique the film.

I was clear, and so were others, that this was aimed at the GoblinGizzards who did things like harass Leslie Jones off twitter. If you are not in that group you are not being insulted by those arguments. On the contrary, this thread values your input. There are two groups who didn't like the film, and you're not in the bad one. The box office is not proof they were right, like Fan4stic bombing wasn't because Michael B. Jordan played Johnny Storm. If you think it was a terrible movie because of its quality, that's a rational critique for its fate.
    And that's something else I think we need to step back from.

It was never there in the first place, which I've tried numerous times to explain and got nothing for my efforts.

You have nothing to fear by critiquing the movie on its own merits. Many people who liked the movie may even agree with it, the movie was not perfect.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I am a good example of this. I've stated my opinion on the movie and no one has attacked me.

• Options
    It feels like only now, as political fervor cools, and box office results are coming in with cold, objective numbers to back up negative reviews that it's safe to openly critique the film.

Hmm. That is odd, because at no point in this post did you *actually* critique the film.

• Options
    I loved it, but I can name a half-dozen flaws that would have bothered me a lot more if I hadn't found it funny. Comedy is subjective, and we are always going to be more forgiving if we like the jokes and less if we don't.

Heck, I think that applies doubly to the original. It was less coherent as a movie than the remake, just an excuse for some special effects and some riffing by Murray and Akroyd. Which I also forgave because I find them funny.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So does Akroyd own the Ghostbusters IP?

I saw he was listed as an executive producer and several other times in the credits but none of the others were. Just curious.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    So does Akroyd own the Ghostbusters IP?

I saw he was listed as an executive producer and several other times in the credits but none of the others were. Just curious.

It's all moved over to GhostCorps now. Of which Reitman and Aykroyd are board members.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

I love scientist man, no more hack, no more fraud, just scientist man forever.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This doesn't really say anything we already don't know, but the comment deletion thing as Sony manipulating social justice as advertising does seem plausible given that they were all too willing to delete the glass ceiling tweet

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    The thing that bothered me about the extra guns: If you have the ability to build them, why bother with the proton packs at all? Why not build a few ghost-killing AR-15s and solve the whole problem that way? Overall I liked the movie but it went downhill when they brought out the overly obvious toy inspiration guns and video game combat scenes.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    The thing that bothered me about the extra guns: If you have the ability to build them, why bother with the proton packs at all? Why not build a few ghost-killing AR-15s and solve the whole problem that way? Overall I liked the movie but it went downhill when they brought out the overly obvious toy inspiration guns and video game combat scenes.

For better or worse they wanted an action sequence.

• Options
    Just popping by briefly to say that the Conan/remake meta-text was intentional. The remake doesn't erase or diminish the original.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

I thought the action sequence was pretty cool, except Melissa McCarthy didn't really seem to have good form while punch throwing.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

So you are saying, that since it didn't make a bajillion dollars, only the negative reviews count and Ghostbusters is a bad movie? Well then I suppose the ~$330m that Batman v Superman made means only the positive reviews count, and it really was a good movie after all.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I thought the action sequence was pretty cool, except Melissa McCarthy didn't really seem to have good form while punch throwing.

Form matters slightly less when you're equipped like that.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Form matters slightly less when you're equipped like that.

That's true. They were more like pneumatic brass knuckles.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

That fits entirely with her character, though.

• Options
    edited August 2016

I would have rather them found some clever way to beat the ghost mob, rather than just devolving into typical action hero montage. Close up shot of everyone having a turn at being an "instant badass." To each their own, but I will pass.

"It's chippin' time now, ghost!" I mean really? Is that a memorable and iconic line?

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I would have rather them found some clever way to beat the ghost mob, rather than just devolving into typical action hero montage. Close up shot of everyone having a turn at being an "instant badass." To each their own, but I will pass.

Oh, no shade at all. My co-worker didn't like the scene for largely the same reason.

EDIT:

Not every one-liner has to be iconic tho.

MalReynolds on