As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] used Draining Kiss on BATTERY! It's super effective!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    New thread so I'm reposting for emphasis. It was briefly mentioned in the OP, but I feel it's worth calling attention to.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY PIDGEYS

Pidgeys, Weedles, Caterpies, and any other common 12-candy evolution pokes are the best possible goldmine for raising your trainer level. And raising your trainer level is the best way to find more powerful pokes, so catch literally every single one you see.

Basically, you get 500 EXP as a flat reward for evolving a pokemon. Since they're so cheap to evolve and so common, you can stock up a TON of them, pop a lucky egg for double EXP, and start evolving them as fast as possible for 1k EXP each. My personal term for this is Factory Farming, and I'm set to run my first one this weekend, I'm up to ~30-40 banked evolves.

I'm also testing out a personal twist where I bought enough incubators to have 7 eggs hatch at once while the Lucky Egg is active (Why not 9? So that I have 1 to give me a half kilometer warning and 1 to give me a 0.1 KM warning when they're about to hatch, by planning when I put them all in, this way I don't miss triggering the lucky egg before they start hatching)

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell if your pokemon hatched from an egg? I had 4 hatching at once; I definitely got the exp from them hatching, but my phone was in my pocket and I didn't see any of them hatch. Looking through my pokemon it kind of appears I didn't actually get any pokemon from them, but it would be nice to be able verify. Sadly I didn't think to check my journal at the time, and my activity doesn't go back that far.

I sort the pokemon by most recent. The ones at the top are the most recent, getting older the farther down you go. So if you hatched 4, then the 4 at the top will be them.

Yeah sadly this was at the start of a long journey and I've caught a ton of stuff both before and after today. There's a chance they were just 4 super lame pokemon, alas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, this is easily my favorite PGO comic yet:

uPkURYMmW9l43GHLOIvGlGBWROi7X9snkJgTTr7kxDo.jpg?w=356&s=4ef95ddf1ce0acffebdb4ee997bb949d

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell if your pokemon hatched from an egg? I had 4 hatching at once; I definitely got the exp from them hatching, but my phone was in my pocket and I didn't see any of them hatch. Looking through my pokemon it kind of appears I didn't actually get any pokemon from them, but it would be nice to be able verify. Sadly I didn't think to check my journal at the time, and my activity doesn't go back that far.

I sort the pokemon by most recent. The ones at the top are the most recent, getting older the farther down you go. So if you hatched 4, then the 4 at the top will be them.

I've had the same thing happen and they don't appear in the journal for some reason.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Nosf wrote: »
    and now that I'm level 8 I see this big creepy spiked ball silhouette with two floating claws, but never can seem to find it.

One of these?
    250px-091Cloyster.png250px-093Haunter.png250px-099Kingler.png

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Oh my god I just had the most adorable thing happen.

I was going for a quick walk to the closest pokestops because I had a few minutes to kill, and I was taking the occasional hit off of my vape pen, as I do when I'm walking (I try not to be obnoxious about it, I treat it the same as cigarette smoke and never do it close to anyone), and while I was stopped to catch a Pidgey I got passed up by this pack of like eight 10-12 year olds all obviously playing pokemon, and the apparent leader of this band looks me straight in the eyes as I notice them and says, I shit you not, "POKEMON MASTERS DON'T DO DRUGS!"

I was too stunned and chagrined to even reply before they had all walked past me.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Nearby functionality has been broken for everyone else since the latest iOS Pokemon Go update or is that some server issue and not client related?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Man, tonight .... tonight....

So, went out farming and the FIRST mon I run into as I hit the first stop? Scyther. And it was big at 927 cp. Took me 20 balls to nab, 15 of which just flew in front of him cuz distance is a thing. But I caught him. Got a second one later on but it was only 427.

The other big one? Well, wasn't big at 167 but I did get a cubone! One popped and it was like a mad dash for 100+ people to that area. So many people were excited to get one.

Other than that, caught a ton more mons again so I'm 4k away from 20. Gonna see if I have enough to do 8 evolves to get that tonight. I did miss out on a Snorelax though apparently. Pickachu popped up a couple of times but both he break every ball I threw till he ran away. Le sigh.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah, right one.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    OP updated with links to more guides, info about pokestops and gyms, and PIDGEY LOVE.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Abbalah wrote: »
    Oh they generated the Stops based on an older game? THAT explains some things. Like theres a stop near my house thats a "Cherub riding a Hog Statue", and when I checked to out the statue is nowhere to be found. But that are recently underwent a major constuction project over the last year erecting this big new building and I guess the statue no longer exists.. but did when Ingress was a thing.

That explains that. Thanks for all the helpful tips in here, by the way. Explained some things I didnt get (like how the shrinking colored circles interact with ball tossing).

To the best of my knowledge there's no evidence that the size of the circle interacts with capture chance - circle size dictates bonus exp for nice/great/excellent throw, and color indicates the odds the pokemon will break out of a ball, but anything else is speculation. Might be true, might be the modern equivalent of 'holding down+A keeps them in the ball'

There's a preposterous amount of speculative misinformation/rumor floating around for this game

Anecdotal at best, but I've also never failed an excellent, even on a harder to catch pokemon, but I've definitely failed a few "Nice" shots. Someone failing an excellent would be something I'd be very interested in hearing.

Had 2 excellent throws tonight. Both failed. Level 19. Berries, yellow and orange circles with great ball. Rattata and Venonaut.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I bring both the useful and the useless.
    blzp9v3igbmi.jpg

39v8jqy5n7u5.jpg

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I bring both the useful and the useless.
    blzp9v3igbmi.jpg

39v8jqy5n7u5.jpg

That comic is basically how I described Pokemon Go to my wife. She was horrified.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That comic misses the easy joke of the Pokecandies being made from Pokémon

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Take a second look at the comic?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Man Nearby lists and PawPrints have been borked for too long now. Like that's a big chunk of the game! Its really frustrated too see everything 3 Tracks away - especially ones I don't have yet - and have no way to hunt for Em since I'll never know if I'm getting closer.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Just got my first Pikachu outside my apartment, and I took my sleeping girlfriend's phone with me to get her one too.

Awww yeah

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tonight I discovered that the bar me and some friends sometimes do Salsa and Bachata at on Fridays is a Pokestop. Technically the restaurant that used to be there before it changed to the current bar is the Pokestop but Ingress is going to be old I guess. I hit up that one pokestop more times than I've probably hit all other pokestops combined since launch, caught a decent amount of evolution/candy fodder pokemon during breaks from dancing, and put some distance on two eggs since the pedometer function registers some dancing.

Oh, and danced a bunch with some cute women. That's also important.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

Take a second look at the comic?

Ha I didn't scroll down far enough

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I find the "blinking" poke-list at the bottom right is an ok dousing rod for 2-3 footprint pokes.
    it feels like a 120 degree cone. Once it drops to 1 footprint, check the ingress map for energy fields and bam, done!

At least that helped me for a few pokes yesterday, will continue field testing it.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    My town is a hot zone for players. The main drag is littered with stops and lures at all hours. I just met a couple of guys from a few towns over and they told me about this

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/7/13/12163874/pokemon-go-meetup-chicago

Thinking about catching the train and hanging out.

• Options
    Nearby/Tracks still borked. Fortunately I'm gonna be playing MTG all day so it's not a huge deal, but it's frustrating

• Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    Is there any advantage to one's account being on google or the training club? I pledged for team valor on my PTC account, which is the higher of the two and the account I put a few bucks into. But, for whatever reason, I am having a bit of buyer's remorse being on valor (honestly, I think it's more of my friends are on mystic and I'd rather team up than be a rival). I can grind the several levels it would take to catch up on my progress, and it's not like I've put much money into the PTC, so just swapping accounts wouldn't be a big deal, unless being on the PTC gave other bonuses not available to google accounts.

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Is there any advantage to one's account being on google or the training club? I pledged for team valor on my PTC account, which is the higher of the two and the account I put a few bucks into. But, for whatever reason, I am having a bit of buyer's remorse being on valor (honestly, I think it's more of my friends are on mystic and I'd rather team up than be a rival). I can grind the several levels it would take to catch up on my progress, and it's not like I've put much money into the PTC, so just swapping accounts wouldn't be a big deal, unless being on the PTC gave other bonuses not available to google accounts.

Currently, there's no advantage that they've released (I'm in the same boat having both account and currently am further on my Google one). I wouldn't worry yet.

SIDE NOTE: The servers are down :'-(

QuantumShaddow on
    3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    the feature i want added most to Pokemon Go: Street names in the main map view.
    Other Feature i really want added? Possibility to add waypoints to plan your walk.

Who's with me?

• Options

Currently, there's no advantage that they've released (I'm in the same boat having both account and currently am further on my Google one). I wouldn't worry yet.

SIDE NOTE: The servers are down :'-(

Hopefully they are down because they are fixing the tracking/nearby bug

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Ugh. Drove 20minutes to a good spot, only to have the servers down when I got there. And still down an hour later. Whyyyyy.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Overwhelmed by demand most likely, first weekend day post release for most territories. I am vexed that all those people marvelling at a Pokemon appearing in their living room by the magic of AR are preventing me from pidgie farming.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Skunty wrote: »
    Overwhelmed by demand most likely, first weekend day post release for most territories. I am vexed that all those people marvelling at a Pokemon appearing in their living room by the magic of AR are preventing me from pidgie farming.

Don't worry.

No one is being amazed at pokemans in their living room right now.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Draining Kiss can't be supereffective against a battery, that's nonsense.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Woke up early to try and go on a poke walk with the girlfriend and the servers are biting it I guess? Booo Saturdays

• Options
    Yeah, is there a Twitter or support page that has details about the maintenance? I woke up all amped up to hunt some good ones down before the sun scorches the earth

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Went out on a Pokemon hunt last night. Ended up on the campus of the local community college here. Pokestops everywhere.

I have a couple observations from last night.

1) My iPhone5 battery is really bad. I was with a couple friends and mine drained from full to dead in the span of about 90 minutes. One friend has some sort of new Samsung and his phone has the best battery of all of ours. In that 90 minute period he lost like 23%. My other friend has an iPhone6s+ and his battery had drained about 35% or so. The first friend, the one with the Samsung, literally went out and bought that phone last week just for Pokemon, because his old phone wasn't powerful enough to run this game.

And so with that first observation I have a question - does anyone here have a recommendation for some sort of portable phone charger or portable battery I can keep on my person during pokemon hunts so I am able to participate for the full length of time that we're out? It's no good to have to just follow your friends and watch because your phone is dead.

2) This Pokemon Go cultural sensation is already out of control. There were old ladies out on the campus walking around in a group playing this game. People that very likely have no idea what a Pokemon is. I'm not saying old people can't enjoy Pokemon too. What I'm saying is that this game is reaching far and wide beyond the demographic of just Pokemon fans.

As I was observing the group of 4 old ladies last night, one of them exclaimed "There's a rat-a-tat over here!" with such enthusiasm and pure innocence. She obviously had no idea what a rattata is. Just finding a Pokemon, even the most common one, was a new experience for her and it was honestly really fun to see. If I had to guess, I'd say they were probably already in the habit of taking walks in the evening around the campus, and they probably started playing out of curiosity for why so many other people were all of a sudden showing up and walking around looking at their phones.

Anyway, here's a picture I took of what the area looked like on campus.
    IMG_04351_zpseyngtv3g.png

• Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    There's this Twitter account, unofficial but promising to tweetwhen it's back:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PoGoServer

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Part of me is happy for a little breather, buuut something tells me this is more than just a nice server maintenance. I guess they just rolled out in a lot more territories last night? Seems like a great idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I got the apk for Android on my phone a couple of days ago. I was in a park earlier at a lure and some guys said "Hey, it's now released here officially". And then the servers went down.

So I'm guessing the two things are probably correlated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Twitter is saying the servers are down to a DDOS attack. So basically, Team Rocket

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Oh thank god! I can take a break and do real adult things today! Like clean my house and take care of my children.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It can't find my GPS location. Which, granted, is the middle of nowhere.

I was kind of hoping for some crazy rare kind of pokemon to spawn out in the boonies, to be honest.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh man they better be up tonight.

This discussion has been closed.