As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Computer guess at what happens to a dinosaur if it evolved for 65 million years instead of dying out

Oh wow it's almost exactly like those aliens we're dealing with what are the odds

environmental parameters?

what environmental parameters?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Computer guess at what happens to a dinosaur if it evolved for 65 million years instead of dying out

Oh wow it's almost exactly like those aliens we're dealing with what are the odds

environmental parameters?

what environmental parameters?

Look if there is a cosmic plan...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yeah, Trek has always had a fantastically psuedoscientific notion of evolution, by which all life eventually evolves toward sentience and from there into beings of pure energy with PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Remember the space dinosaurs from Voyager

yeah me either

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

yeah me either

I tried to suppress them, but now I kind of like them (but still not that episode).
    STO looked at the Voth, said, "That's ridiculous, how can we fix that?" and someone else saidD58993FFCC6BAECFE7F50E58000E5E88C6027283
    You can't fix the Voth, but awesome things can come of saying, "Fuck it, go crazy."

Hevach on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Is that a
    Tyrannosaurus Borg
    ?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Is that a
    Tyrannosaurus Borg
    ?
    Pretty sure it's just an up armored genetically engineered T-rex used as a mobile weapons platform. But not tied in with the Borg (who tend towards green glowy bits, instead of blue).

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It's a star trek version of this
    dino20riders-660x495.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Is that a
    Tyrannosaurus Borg
    ?
    Voth cybernetics, not Borg. In STO, the Voth specialize in terror weapons on the ground. They have several breeds of cybernetic dinosaurs (another is raptors with cloaks, you can see a few dead ones on the field there, there's also a carnotaurus that's basically a downscaled version of this guy) and mech walkers in addition to the regular infantry most factions have.

Hevach on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    star trek made dino riders canon

I can't stop laughing, send help

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Not just T-Rexes, but also no-shit Laser Cyber-Raptors.

Which work alongside power armored evolved dinosaurs.

I don't give a fig if if fits the Trek vision, there is nothing about those phrases that is not awesome.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I always thought that instead of using the high tech future mobile holo emitter on the doctor, they should have instead used it to create Moriarty in the body of a Velociraptor.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

Not just T-Rexes, but also no-shit Laser Cyber-Raptors.

Which work alongside power armored evolved dinosaurs.

I don't give a fig if if fits the Trek vision, there is nothing about those phrases that is not awesome.

They also operate out of a carrier ship that holds entire wings of that gigantic carrier ship from the Voyager episode. Shown here in scale comparison to who the fuck cares what its in comparison to it's that huge.

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    yeah, Trek has always had a fantastically psuedoscientific notion of evolution, by which all life eventually evolves toward sentience and from there into beings of pure energy with PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER.

They covered this in a TNG episode. Everyone evolved similarly because of aliens, not pseudoscience.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Please describe the environmental conditions that might positively select for the trait "noncorporeal being of pure thought." For bonus points, indicate on what chromosome(s) this trait would be encoded.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Please describe the environmental conditions that might positively select for the trait "noncorporeal being of pure thought." For bonus points, indicate on what chromosome(s) this trait would be encoded.

Aliens.

• Options
    So, entirely psuedoscience, then. Thank you.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Does it count that being an immortal being of pure thought would be totally rad?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Or a salamander

• Options
    At least Quinn suggested that the Q's powers were technological in origin. That one episode in TNG where a species was randomly transforming was silly, though.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

To be fair, there's nothing about evolution that requires DNA - just variation and reproduction. Once you're a post human society comprised of uploaded minds whole bunch of other selection pressures might come into play. Maybe writing yourself into the underlying fabric of the universe is the end game, as whilst the universe still exists you're not going to get any corruption of data. And with infinite time, anyone who doesn't do this has their lineage end.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

It didn't go that far, just described why so many species in the galaxy were humanoids. Essentially there was a millions or billions years old civilization of humanoid creatures who were basically alone except for possibly a few very, very alien species for thousands and thousands of years and decided "this fucking sucks" so they seeded a portion of the habitable worlds in the galaxy with life, or at least with genetic coding, that would in whatever species inherited it have at least one form that would evolve towards bipedal sapients (though evolving from different types of creatures) so future civilizations would have tons of similar species around when they emerged as space faring civilizations.

Admittedly I don't know exactly how you would guide evolution toward that point once you're gone, but I am not a member of an ancient precursor species. They're always doing crazy shit.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

yeah me either

I tried to suppress them, but now I kind of like them (but still not that episode).
    STO looked at the Voth, said, "That's ridiculous, how can we fix that?" and someone else saidD58993FFCC6BAECFE7F50E58000E5E88C6027283
    You can't fix the Voth, but awesome things can come of saying, "Fuck it, go crazy."

I think I need to get back into STO o_o

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

yeah me either

Star Trek/ Dino Riders crossover!

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

yeah me either

Nothing since The Sphere has been quite so epic, but the Tzenkethi are interesting (giant rhino men with vehicle grade weapons) and had some neat set pieces, like a battle skimming the event horizon of a black hole. But, yeah, even the Vaadwaur's quad tank paled next to the Cybersaurs Rex.

• Options

yeah me either

Nothing since The Sphere has been quite so epic, but the Tzenkethi are interesting (giant rhino men with vehicle grade weapons) and had some neat set pieces, like a battle skimming the event horizon of a black hole. But, yeah, even the Vaadwaur's quad tank paled next to the Cybersaurs Rex.

I've seen those before.

Judoon.png

• Options
    edited August 2017

yeah me either

I've seen those before.

Judoon.png

Me too:

Thradd_comm.png

(actually, the Thraddash are more like hippos. Angry hippos.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Aw, was expecting for a picture of an Umpani when it loaded.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

yeah me either

I've seen those before.

Judoon.png

Me too:

Thradd_comm.png

Hippos are always angry.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

yeah me either

I've seen those before.

Judoon.png

Me too:

Thradd_comm.png

Hippos are always angry.

Maybe they're angry because really, they're hungry...

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

yeah me either

I've seen those before.

Judoon.png

Me too:

Thradd_comm.png

Hippos are always angry.

Maybe they're angry because really, they're hungry...

Hungry, hungry even.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    WHY? I mean, really why does Star Trek need an TV-MA rating? Every time Trek has taken a swing in that direction it's been awful. From that ham fisted swearing scene in DS9 to the "oh shit" Data drops in Generations to that god awful Naked Now episode. None of it has been handled well and had generally detracted from the story. I pray they steer clear of the decon chamber.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    That_Guy wrote: »
    WHY? I mean, really why does Star Trek need an TV-MA rating? Every time Trek has taken a swing in that direction it's been awful. From that ham fisted swearing scene in DS9 to the "oh shit" Data drops in Generations to that god awful Naked Now episode. None of it has been handled well and had generally detracted from the story. I pray they steer clear of the decon chamber.

Because not everything has to be family friendly? Frankly it's about time for Trek to step up for an adult feel. Whether they do it well is another thing altogether. IIRC Fuller originally wanted full on nudity and sex scenes ala HBO.

edit: I've actually read Trek novels which would pass for that rating with scenes like that, though not at HBO level so it wouldn't be a first for the franchise itself, only the live action portion.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I was about to defend it, but then I checked and realized The Expanse is TV-14 so yeah...the TV-MA is not necessary.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Frankly it's about time for Trek to step up for an adult feel.
    How? The last Star Trek TV show did that.

The captain torturing a person in one episode and not even as a moral dilemma of the episode was not the high point of the series.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Frankly it's about time for Trek to step up for an adult feel.
    How? The last Star Trek TV show did that.

The captain torturing a person in one episode and not even as a moral dilemma of the episode was not the high point of the series.

It's not about just certain subjects, it's how it's made to be more mature. The Expanse is a great example of how to do espionage, war and politics at a mature level - the only series which comes close to that was Deep Space 9, and that is not as realistic as current mature shows depict those subjects. With exceptions.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I really hate this trend in fiction (and audiences) that dark, moody tales about betrayal, manipulation, and deliberate cruelty is 'adult' and optimistic tales about people acting like professionals, working together for a common good while striving to find common ground among themselves is somehow 'immature'. It's one of the most bullshit kinds of backwards labeling I've seen.

If you want dark, moody fiction, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, etc. are all there. Trek has never been, and I daresay should never be, like them.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm kind of tired of shows feeling they need to be grimdark and full of tits tbh

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I really hate this trend in fiction (and audiences) that dark, moody tales about betrayal, manipulation, and deliberate cruelty is 'adult' and optimistic tales about people acting like professionals, working together for a common good while striving to find common ground among themselves is somehow 'immature'. It's one of the most bullshit kinds of backwards labeling I've seen.

If you want dark, moody fiction, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Expanse, etc. are all there. Trek has never been, and I daresay should never be, like them.

Yeah, star trek was never dark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have zero faith at all that there will be a reasonable justification for the TV-MA rating and that it will be anything but an excuse to go the cheap route by replacing the crappy tradition of sticking female cast in catsuits with the new way of just throwing in gratuitous sex and nudity to dredge up views.

Even if they somehow miraculously don't take a lazy route like that, the alternative is that the show is going to be violent and gory, which doesn't fit Star Trek either.

This discussion has been closed.