Options

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    While the pilot was nothing special, I'm definitely willing to give the next few episodes of The Orville a shot. We'll see where they go with this now that they've got some of the introductory stuff out of the way.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    At least in this case you can watch future episodes for FREE if you're on the fence about it from the pilot. What a crazy idea...nah that'll never work.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm going to give The Orville a few episodes before I start watching. It seem like the sort of show that's going to need a little time to build up steam.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    They put out a bit of the theme for Discovery.

https://youtu.be/8dYJ2dXKAIs

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    With The Orville I'm mostly disappointed to hear it's not that funny.

I thought that was the damn point here.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah. Strangely enough, jokes are the one element of Orville that feels most half-assed.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I thought The Orville was pretty decent for a pilot episode.

I'm sure they'll find their footing and it will probably be a pretty good show.

I am actually sincerely curious which will end up being the better show.

The musical cues were really nice and the set/ship design were inspired enough.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    With The Orville I'm mostly disappointed to hear it's not that funny.

I thought that was the damn point here.

Having watched the pilot, I think the promotion for the show was a bit misleading.
    The show itself doesn't really feel like it's trying to be just a straight up comedy. At times it's more like a sci-fi show with some humor.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    I thought The Orville was pretty decent for a pilot episode.

I'm sure they'll find their footing and it will probably be a pretty good show.

I am actually sincerely curious which will end up being the better show.

The musical cues were really nice and the set/ship design were inspired enough.

The musical cues were very much "Make something that sounds as much like the Star Trek theme as possible while being legally distinct". Which I guess is consistent with the rest of the show's design.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    New trailer for the first season:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVisPe0s2lg

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Can you keep this to the Orville thread, or make one?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Man, I feel bad for the actor playing the android. Acting with your face completely covered like that can't be fun or fulfilling, and on top of it you have to play a completely monotonous role. You'll get zero public recognition since no one will see your face, zero professional recognition since you're not showing off any acting range or expressions, and zero fun from your work since you're doing a single thing over and over while encased in a cheap plastic mold.

sig.gif
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Netflix revealed the most rewatched episodes of all Sta Trek on their service.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-boldly-goes-where-no-man-has-gone-before-revealing-star-trek-fans-favorite-episodes
    METHODOLOGY:

Netflix analyzed the viewing data of 104 million members across 190 countries who have watched the following Star Trek series on Netflix: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Voyager. In an attempt to look for data beyond default behavior, the first two episodes from any season ones were omitted from the data. “Rewatch” is defined when a member returns to watch at least 6 minutes of an episode they had previously completed.

266840_60_news_hub_multi_630x0.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Has Voyager been on the service longer or something?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Nope...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

have you ever looked at the "people near you are watching" suggestions list?

people have inexplicable taste

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hevach wrote: »

Nope...

The fuck?!

Edit: My faith in humanity has been shattered on this day. Like, Endgame really? Really?! Scorpion would at least make a little sense, and I have zero idea which episode was "Time and Again", was that the one where they travel to the planet in the past, and Janeway insists they let them all die? Why in gods name would that be on the list. And "Q Who?"?! Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?!

Brutal J on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »

Nope...

The fuck?!

Edit: My faith in humanity has been shattered on this day. Like, Endgame really? Really?! Scorpion would at least make a little sense, and I have zero idea which episode was "Time and Again", was that the one where they travel to the planet in the past, and Janeway insists they let them all die? Why in gods name would that be on the list. And "Q Who?"?! Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy?!

maybe these episodes are the most watched because people fall asleep halfway through and then have to start over

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Nope...

The fuck?!

maybe these episodes are the most watched because people fall asleep halfway through and then have to start over

I started just accepting that I'd never see the third act of any Enterprise episode instead of getting stuck in that cycle. It's going fine, I think.

I did finish through an entire episode where one of the doctor's wives was trying to fuck Trip though, that was fun.

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

Nope...

The fuck?!

I started just accepting that I'd never see the third act of any Enterprise episode instead of getting stuck in that cycle. It's going fine, I think.

I did finish through an entire episode where one of the doctor's wives was trying to fuck Trip though, that was fun.

it's cool season 3 seems to have a "last time on" for every episode

basically there's no point watching more than that first minute

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Q Who is the first appearance of the Borg. Most of what's said about the Borg there ends up being retconned later (like their disinterest in biological organisms, the way they reproduce, etc) but it's still a good episode to introduce an enemy that can actually pose a tangible threat to the Enterprise, and the basic mechanics of how they work in a fight remained.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Nope...

The fuck?!

Q Who is the best episode that isn't a Picard character piece, what is wrong with you?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Q Who is the first appearance of the Borg. Most of what's said about the Borg there ends up being retconned later (like their disinterest in biological organisms, the way they reproduce, etc) but it's still a good episode to introduce an enemy that can actually pose a tangible threat to the Enterprise, and the basic mechanics of how they work in a fight remained.

Ah, I didn't think that was a season 2, so I was thinking it was either the Riker one or the one with the woman just getting Q powers. My outrage still stands for everything else.

Brutal J on
  • Options
    No that's Hide and Q and True Q. I will defend Voyager but even I find that list confusing, at the very least it should be Relativity or Blink of an Eye.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'd think Threshold would be viewed a lot, considering the lambasting it gets from the Internet.

I also think there's a few great DS9 episodes that would be on there. How does fucking Voyager get on there?

• Options
    I'd think Threshold would be viewed a lot, considering the lambasting it gets from the Internet.

I also think there's a few great DS9 episodes that would be on there. How does fucking Voyager get on there?

I think the thing that gets me the most is "All good things" is like, RIGHT THERE. It's probably the best series finale I've ever seen, and it even has time travel and Q. How the shit does that get less watches than "End Game'.

• Options
    I was also thinking "Duet".
    That one you can view just as well as any of those junk Voyager episodes. And it's actually good!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm looking at Scorpion on that list and all I can think is that maybe Jeri Ryan had the T&A dialed way up when she first appeared.
    Zero DS9 shows is BS.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Seriously, DS9's absence is puzzling, since if you look at the list, there's a lot of space action in it, and... Well, what about Sacrifice of Angels or What You Leave Behind for the space action?

• Options

I think the thing that gets me the most is "All good things" is like, RIGHT THERE. It's probably the best series finale I've ever seen, and it even has time travel and Q. How the shit does that get less watches than "End Game'.
    It's not total watches, it's rewatches, TNG definitely has more total watches, but I guess some people really love Voyager.

• Options
    Also "The Visitor".
    "Tribunal" or "Our Man Bashir". "Paradise Lost" or "Trials and Tribblations" or "In the Pale Moonlight".
    So many good ones, but those are my first thoughts as to what I'd think people would watch.

But no. Voyager.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think rewatches are defined as 'watch at least 6 minutes'.
    So I could 'rewatch' 7 or 8 episodes before concluding that they're boring and moving on in the time it takes me to fully watch one episode.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    non trek people fucking love voyager and hate ds9

I have never gotten it. it makes no god damned sense.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Boobs.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Psh. I'm a trek person and I love Voyager and think DS9 was a bit meh much of the time. Get outta here with your fandom normativity!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    they're all good treks bront

i mean DS9 is clearly better than Voyager but

if i hadn't plowed through something like 500 hours of trek straight, i might have liked Voyager more watching it standalone without extremely recent memory of better writing to compare it to

Chanus on
  • Options
    none of the trek shows are below average television, especially in the context of their own time

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    I know DS9 is the better, more cerebral, more intellectually satisfying show...

But if I'm in the mood for that I'm more interested in finding something I haven't seen twice already.

When I'm in the mood for something fun and fuzzy and familiar, I'll pop in a Voyager or TNG episode.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh listen, i'll still watch some Voyager, hell or enterprise

But for those specific voyager episodes to be so highly rewatched on netflix, and no DS9 at all?!?! mind boggling

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I really liked Lon Suder's arc in Voyager.

This discussion has been closed.