As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which Ernest Do You Prefer [chat]?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    ...I have a forklift on fire in the warehouse.

Is

Is it being dealt with, or
    Not really.

Should

Do I need to come help

Or summon some sort of aid

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    Well. On the bright side.

Guess I'll be going outside a lot more.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ernest Hemingway
    g45jLGg.jpg

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    So after six months at newjob I finally cleaned out my cube of all the cruft the old guy left behind.
    12 laptops, about 40 HDDs, boxes of useless old laptop RAM, process docs from five years ago, spindles of CD-RWs

At my job at MEGACORP we got shuffled around so often I got used to taking a space as-is and not bothering to personalize any of it. I don't have any like, pictures to put up or anything.

Nerd things!!

Framed photo of Han Solo

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

well

FYI

0599bMC.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    ex tells me i should just apply to stanford and MIT for b school and see what happens

i don't even know why i would go to b school or what i'd get from it

but i'm taking the gmat in 3 weeks apparently tho i haven't studied

careers are dumb and i don't know

take it from a guy who never finished a 2-year degree because obv my advice is best but my understanding is never go back to school without a plan

in 28 years of my life i have never been able to think further than 2 months ahead in my life

this is why i have gotten nowhere in life

You haven't gotten "nowhere" in life. You're doing p alright near as I can tell. But, yeah spending $100k and losing two years of work monies is p silly without a plan.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    So after six months at newjob I finally cleaned out my cube of all the cruft the old guy left behind.
    12 laptops, about 40 HDDs, boxes of useless old laptop RAM, process docs from five years ago, spindles of CD-RWs

At my job at MEGACORP we got shuffled around so often I got used to taking a space as-is and not bothering to personalize any of it. I don't have any like, pictures to put up or anything.

Nerd things!!

Framed photo of Han Solo

ooh do those creepy hobo and clown figurines

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ernest Hemingway

Nerd things!!

Framed photo of Han Solo

I'm definitely doing that at my next job, or maybe just that 80s photoshopped family picture of the solos

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    there was a box with six laptop panels--like, the display and top part of the case, the bottom half of the laptop was godknowswhere--all from a laptop model we haven't used for half a decade

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    g45jLGg.jpg

One time I was getting ready to go to class and really needed a confidence boost so I was doing razer sharp winged eyeliner and my reddest lipstick and Pinecone was like "I don't think anyone will mind if you're not wearing makeup??" And I was like "Pinecone this is not makeup this is my WAR FACE" and the look on his face was p priceless

I feel like that's the purpose of heels as well

So you can enter a room with the commanding clock of your feet on the floor that reminds everyone that you're there to do battle

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell

Is

Is it being dealt with, or
    Not really.

Should

Do I need to come help

Or summon some sort of aid
    It's smokey in the warehouse, but the forklift is off and stinks, it's not kicking out any more plums of smoke. I think we need to have our smoke detectors replaced because we have all the doors open, and didn't set off a single one.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    ex tells me i should just apply to stanford and MIT for b school and see what happens

take it from a guy who never finished a 2-year degree because obv my advice is best but my understanding is never go back to school without a plan

in 28 years of my life i have never been able to think further than 2 months ahead in my life

This is a solvable issue.

Also not uncommon with humans. We are poor long term thinkers.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    "to the other PCI slot" @DasUberEdward

... is this a PCI video card?

How old is this PC???

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    g45jLGg.jpg

One time I was getting ready to go to class and really needed a confidence boost so I was doing razer sharp winged eyeliner and my reddest lipstick and Pinecone was like "I don't think anyone will mind if you're not wearing makeup??" And I was like "Pinecone this is not makeup this is my WAR FACE" and the look on his face was p priceless

So you can enter a room with the commanding clock of your feet on the floor that reminds everyone that you're there to do battle

hell yeah

I'm glad I don't wear leather-soled shoes every day because when I do get dressed up I just stride about like a badass

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Ernest Hemingway
    g45jLGg.jpg

Yes!

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    teacher calls in:

him:"any ETA on the email being fixed?"
    me:"I'm not aware of any e-mail problems other than the migration, which login are you using?"
    him:"The staff login"
    me:"You have to use a different login button, instead of going into all the submenus and clicking staff login, just click the giant green email button"
    him:"but that's what students use"
    me:"that's what everyone uses now"
    him:"it wants my password"
    me:"yes?"
    him:"how'm I supposed to know what my password is the staff login just knows it, this is the student login"
    me:"no this is everyone's login now, you just have to enter it the first time and tell it to remember it"
    him:"ugh *annoyed noise*, now it wants me to enter... time zone? "
    me:"yes"
    him:"you know, this is all a lot of trouble, you think you could do this for us"
    me:"I don't know your password nor would I log into your e-mail account if I did"
    him:"well that's convenient for you, I didn't ask to be migrated whatever that means"
    me:"....are you in your e-mail?"
    him:"yes bye *he hangs up*"

override367 on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    "to the other PCI slot" DasUberEdward

How old is this PC???

psh "PCI" means PCIe these days c'mon man

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ernest Hemingway

How old is this PC???

I also just say PCI instead of PCIe2.0x16 or whatever it is now.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    Mazzyx wrote: »

This is a solvable issue.

Also not uncommon with humans. We are poor long term thinkers.

yes, working on it

been about 2 years of weekly therapy so far

there is progress
    it is slow

glad i finally started going, better late than never

poo
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    I just wear comfortable clothes and comb my hair

gutting gussied up is for suckers

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    Deebaser wrote: »

You haven't gotten "nowhere" in life. You're doing p alright near as I can tell. But, yeah spending $100k and losing two years of work monies is p silly without a plan.

Hey I slightly resemble that!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm
    People in the Amherst alumni network are asking about business school/whether/when to go all the time, and I remember some of the consensus answers.
    1. Don't just go for no reason
    2. Business school is more about the networking than about the classes or the title. Make sure the program you apply to has connections to the industries you care about.
    3. Ask the people in the position you are aspiring to whether their job requires an MBA. If not, don't go.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ernest Hemingway
    g45jLGg.jpg

All of what you said may be true.

But when my wife put that much effort into her appearance and I said something like, "I really don't care if you wear makeup or not" I got in big trouble. She wanted comments on how well she had done for the effort she had put in to look nice.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

unless your folks will pay for it!

• Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    @override367 and @bowen have the most hateful coworkers.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Once I was on the subway talking miniature painting with my friend. Phrases like "base coat" and "foundation" and "highlight" were used.

Woman across us looked really suspicious.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    cptrugged wrote: »
    g45jLGg.jpg

All of what you said may be true.

But when my wife put that much effort into her appearance and I said something like, "I really don't care if you wear makeup or not" I got in big trouble. She wanted comments on how well she had done for the effort she had put in to look nice.

these thoughts are not mutually exclusive.

• Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    "to the other PCI slot" DasUberEdward

How old is this PC???

psh "PCI" means PCIe these days c'mon man

when someone changes slots though...

you don't typically have 2 PCIe slots, and, if you do, you don't usually have 2 that can support graphic card bandwidths

sometimes you do, sometimes you don't, it's usually something someone specifically targets in a build and doesn't happen on accident, so I was worried he might have FUBARed the card that way.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    They probably own 78 lipsticks because they have poor impulse control.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    I assume either it was put in the wrong slot, and it shit the card

or the black marks are from an arc because the card was loose and it finally came loose enough to arc electric this time

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell
    credeiki wrote: »
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm
    People in the Amherst alumni network are asking about business school/whether/when to go all the time, and I remember some of the consensus answers.
    1. Don't just go for no reason
    2. Business school is more about the networking than about the classes or the title. Make sure the program you apply to has connections to the industries you care about.
    3. Ask the people in the position you are aspiring to whether their job requires an MBA. If not, don't go.

yep
    i've heard all these things, i know

the hard part for me has been figuring out the industries i care about and position i aspire to

being rudderless for so long has not been great

and also the dread of / sunk cost fallacy of doing new things the further i get from college even tho ostensibly i am only ~12.5% into my my working life makes the decision making process harder

human psychology is a bitch

poo
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    Hmmm...

Shaz you doing grad school thinking?

My thoughts on grad school is make sure you go for something either tied to moving up the ladder making the cost worth it or something you actually like and care about a lot.

I did the latter. And the two years of grad school were amazing for developing skills, building friendships, and learning about stuff I am interested in. Also gave me the pass to get a job in that field basically. Before that I would of had a lot of issues.

For MBA though the networking is more important than the degree. MBAs are super common and more generalized than MA/MS in specific areas of study.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

unless your folks will pay for it!

I'd feel worse wasting my parents money by going in without a plan

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    I am hungry. What should I eat for lunch?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

the rich

just not me

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    g45jLGg.jpg

The other purpose of heels is to become taller than everyone.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ernest P. Worrell

How old is this PC???

Yeah it's old. But PCI-E. It's a gtx 560.

I did get a sign of life out of it after removing some things and putting them back into place.

But then my whole system failed. So I'm guessing years of use has lead to enough lose connections that problems have shown up.

I haven't built a computer since this thing was new. Really don't want to be messing about in the guts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ernest P. Worrell
    Trace wrote: »

the rich

just not me
    I was actually thinking maybe a cheesesteak.

• Options
    Wasting my companies money for years and years for a tax credit and a shitload of tuition on credit card points tho...
    I don't feel bad about that at all

• Options
    I'm starting to feel bad that I still haven't finished tho

This discussion has been closed.