Options

US Presidential Elections: an exclusive look at the Trump intervention

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Apparently my Mom got scared with all my loonly lib talk and decided to get me a subscription to one of her propaganda rags
    oiNIzh1.png

The Homosexual Vortex sounds like a roller coaster ride with lots of pictures of cocks as you go up the big ramp.

Like the hand pit from Labyrinth, except dicks.

No, more like a more fabulous Spaceship Earth.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    The man is a gift to news.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/us/politics/paul-manafort-resigns-donald-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/
    Paul Manafort, a professional Republican political operative since the 1970s, was supposed to impose order on Donald J. Trump’s chaotic presidential campaign.

On Friday, the chaos devoured him.

Weeks of sliding poll numbers and false starts had sapped Mr. Manafort’s credibility inside the campaign. A cooling relationship with Mr. Trump — who had taken to calling Mr. Manafort “low energy,” the epithet he once used to mock a former rival, Jeb Bush — turned hot last weekend when the candidate erupted, blaming Mr. Manafort for a damaging newspaper article detailing the campaign’s internal travails, according to three people briefed on the episode.

Hahaha, the Bush treatment. That it's something that he would use with someone he works with is so delicious.
    But Mr. Trump never developed the sort of chemistry or comfort level with Mr. Manafort that he had with Mr. Lewandowski, campaign aides said. Mr. Trump has continued to seek out the advice of Mr. Lewandowski, who remains a fierce rival of Mr. Manafort.

Nor did Mr. Trump ever quite buy into what Mr. Manafort was selling.

Just as Mr. Trump has resisted behaving like a traditional presidential candidate, he has also felt little need to construct the sort of hierarchical organization typical of a campaign for the White House. This is in part, Mr. Trump’s advisers say, because he relies on his instincts and the counsel of his family. But it is also because he simply prefers to improvise, unconstrained by convention or by a chain of command.

A change in the leadership of his campaign may not stop Mr. Trump from making abrupt decisions based on news coverage, playing advisers off one another and following the guidance of whoever may be traveling with him or has just spoken to him on the phone.

Godspeed.
    It was an article in The New York Times last weekend — about frequent but frustrated efforts by Mr. Trump’s top advisers to curtail his pugilistic instincts — that set off the series of events leading to Mr. Manafort’s departure.

On Saturday, Mr. Trump raged at Mr. Manafort, holding him responsible for the article, according to people familiar with the episode. On Sunday, Mr. Trump hastily convened a meeting of paid and unpaid advisers including the pollster Kellyanne Conway; Roger Ailes, the ousted Fox News chairman; and Stephen K. Bannon, the chairman of Breitbart News, a conservative website. Mr. Manafort was present for part of the meeting.

Mr. Ailes urged Mr. Trump to reconfigure the campaign’s leadership, according to a Republican briefed on the meeting. A former Republican strategist and ad man who was friends with Mr. Trump long before his ouster, Mr. Ailes had reviewed some of the initial television commercials Mr. Manafort had overseen and told Mr. Trump in blunt terms that they were lackluster.

That cycle is my favorite part of Trump. To say that he runs a leaky ship would be an insult to holes and when the shit comes back to him he flips and his next action has nothing to do with why things leaked, and then his underlings go right back to dishing. Perfect.

You know I am starting to wonder about Trump staffers.

I have thought for a while that these people had sold out, done a terrible thing by signing on to the Trump campaign.

Now I am wondering if like 90% of the staff are just there to spy on Trump and leak things at the most damaging moment possible.

Watch. The person who turns out to have leaked the worst things. The most damaging blowups... is Katrina Pierson. Batshit Trump loyalist by day, dagger deep in his back by night.

If I was offered a position in the Trump campaign I would probably need to have a good think about it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Apparently my Mom got scared with all my loonly lib talk and decided to get me a subscription to one of her propaganda rags
    oiNIzh1.png

The Homosexual Vortex sounds like a roller coaster ride with lots of pictures of cocks as you go up the big ramp.

Dis masculonormativity

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

Amusingly, there is a gay erotic/fantasy/horror web artist who literally animated exactly that. No I'm not linking that. But that's what I will think of as the homosexual vortex from now on. Just a lovecraftian pit of cocks and the world's happiest ginger.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Batshit Trump loyalist by day

That part is also the dagger twisting in his campaign.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

Dis masculonormativity

Oh please. Like conservatives are actually thinking about lesbianism when they are bitching about homosexuals. Oh sure, if you put a homely lesbian directly in front of them they will spew some hate like an afterthought. But we all know what they are actually angry about/secretly hot for.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Do they not also regulate the oil and gas industries? Because that's why I can see a politician from Texas wanting to disband them.

Nope, that's Interior.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

Amusingly, there is a gay erotic/fantasy/horror web artist who literally animated exactly that. No I'm not linking that. But that's what I will think of as the homosexual vortex from now on. Just a lovecraftian pit of cocks and the world's happiest ginger.

Stand by, I'm attempting to be surprised.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    oiNIzh1.png

Stand by, I'm attempting to be surprised.

That could be hazardous, like, you could strain blood vessels in your brain or something.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

"homosexual vortex" sounds like a wild friday night.

it's actually just code for the best nightclub in town, Gaynado

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/us/politics/paul-manafort-resigns-donald-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/
    Paul Manafort, a professional Republican political operative since the 1970s, was supposed to impose order on Donald J. Trump’s chaotic presidential campaign.

Weeks of sliding poll numbers and false starts had sapped Mr. Manafort’s credibility inside the campaign. A cooling relationship with Mr. Trump — who had taken to calling Mr. Manafort “low energy,” the epithet he once used to mock a former rival, Jeb Bush — turned hot last weekend when the candidate erupted, blaming Mr. Manafort for a damaging newspaper article detailing the campaign’s internal travails, according to three people briefed on the episode.

Hahaha, the Bush treatment. That it's something that he would use with someone he works with is so delicious.
    But Mr. Trump never developed the sort of chemistry or comfort level with Mr. Manafort that he had with Mr. Lewandowski, campaign aides said. Mr. Trump has continued to seek out the advice of Mr. Lewandowski, who remains a fierce rival of Mr. Manafort.

Just as Mr. Trump has resisted behaving like a traditional presidential candidate, he has also felt little need to construct the sort of hierarchical organization typical of a campaign for the White House. This is in part, Mr. Trump’s advisers say, because he relies on his instincts and the counsel of his family. But it is also because he simply prefers to improvise, unconstrained by convention or by a chain of command.

A change in the leadership of his campaign may not stop Mr. Trump from making abrupt decisions based on news coverage, playing advisers off one another and following the guidance of whoever may be traveling with him or has just spoken to him on the phone.

Godspeed.
    It was an article in The New York Times last weekend — about frequent but frustrated efforts by Mr. Trump’s top advisers to curtail his pugilistic instincts — that set off the series of events leading to Mr. Manafort’s departure.

On Saturday, Mr. Trump raged at Mr. Manafort, holding him responsible for the article, according to people familiar with the episode. On Sunday, Mr. Trump hastily convened a meeting of paid and unpaid advisers including the pollster Kellyanne Conway; Roger Ailes, the ousted Fox News chairman; and Stephen K. Bannon, the chairman of Breitbart News, a conservative website. Mr. Manafort was present for part of the meeting.

Mr. Ailes urged Mr. Trump to reconfigure the campaign’s leadership, according to a Republican briefed on the meeting. A former Republican strategist and ad man who was friends with Mr. Trump long before his ouster, Mr. Ailes had reviewed some of the initial television commercials Mr. Manafort had overseen and told Mr. Trump in blunt terms that they were lackluster.

That cycle is my favorite part of Trump. To say that he runs a leaky ship would be an insult to holes and when the shit comes back to him he flips and his next action has nothing to do with why things leaked, and then his underlings go right back to dishing. Perfect.

I have thought for a while that these people had sold out, done a terrible thing by signing on to the Trump campaign.

Now I am wondering if like 90% of the staff are just there to spy on Trump and leak things at the most damaging moment possible.

Watch. The person who turns out to have leaked the worst things. The most damaging blowups... is Katrina Pierson. Batshit Trump loyalist by day, dagger deep in his back by night.

it's probably in the best interest of any Trump staffer to be quietly shopping around for tell-all memoir/feature deals now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

Please, everyone knows the hottest nightclub in town is Chunderball.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

i said best, not hottest

and for the sake of completion, the coolest nightclub in town is The Butt Factory

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

i said best, not hottest

and for the sake of completion, the coolest nightclub in town is The Butt Factory

Well, obviously. Converting an old cigarette storage facility into a gay nightclub/waterpark with a deer hunting theme was a stroke of genius.

• Options

Godspeed.

it's probably in the best interest of any Trump staffer to be quietly shopping around for tell-all memoir/feature deals now.

Most people don't care about the loser's campaign. I mean, this is a historic clusterfuck so there might be one or two. But that's a maybe. Otherwise you're just going to be a couple chapters in the inevitable book covering all of it.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

Michael Voris and the Homosexual Vortex sounds like a two-piece New Wave tribute band I'd seeing playing at an alcohol-free event where I'm from.

• Options
    Also, why does he have a mic, an umbrella, and I'm guessing a purse?

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/08/trump-asks-rnc-to-open-offices-for-him-in-all-50-states.html

Donald Trump has one field office in Florida, a state of 65 million square miles and 29 electoral votes. Which is to say, the GOP nominee barely has a campaign in a state he needs to win to have any real shot at the White House. And yet Trump would like the Republican National Committee to devote its limited resources to funding a get-out-the-vote operation for him in Hawaii.

According to Politico, Trump has asked the RNC to open field offices for him in all 50 states — a proposal that has baffled many of the committee’s aides. But no one should be all that surprised by Trump’s “unconventional” general-election strategy: The mogul has long touted plans to contest deep-blue states like New York and California. Whether such ambitions are fueled by egotism, ignorance, or a cynical desire to promote his company’s brand in as many media markets as possible is an open question.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

Oh WOW! I watch Michael Voris all the time on YouTube. This guy can be a case study is cognitive dissidence and projection. It's so amazing! For those who don't know, Mike here is the closest thing there is to a fire and brimstone "Evangelical Catholic". Just some of his stuff is so off the wall it never fails to surprise.

1) He steadfastly believes that the Catholic Church is the only "real" church and that all other Christian denominations are heretics. Not only this, he is under the opinion that all other Christians are actually Catholics but are just misinformed. On top of this, he says that when other Christians do things, such as vilify Homosexuality, it's not because they follow the true God, but because they just "happen to align with the Catholic church", and therefore good.

2) He has this concept that the world was better before the 60s and everything just went to hell after that. Of course you would Mike. You were, what, twelve? Of course the world was better back then, you were a KID!

3) He uses military hyperbole (His YouTube channel is called "Church Militant") and tries to start evangelical "armies" His current project is some men's group that is supped to "assert male masculinity in the Church" and every time he shows a member in this group, you can see a closet that is tightly locked from the inside.

Seriously, just watch a few episodes of "The Vortex" on Youtube (The comments are all disabled, because... of course they are). Look down the giant maw of the beast. It's disgusting, but you come out knowing a little more about the mindset of these people. If anything he's at least articulate is his self-loathing and hatred.

He doesn't monetize his videos, he sells subscriptions to a streaming content network on his website. Free free the gawk without giving him any money.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Also, why does he have a mic, an umbrella, and I'm guessing a purse?

I thought he was holding a scimitar? Because of course gays = bad and muslims = bad so gay = muslim

But that could have just been my imagination. I didn't exactly study the image closely.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    oiNIzh1.png

The Homosexual Vortex sounds like a club that I'm not good looking enough to get into

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

In case you were operating under the misbelief that taking a "principled stand" against Trump made you popular with Republicans.

Its almost like Republicans are really good at hating in unison.

This is why I didn't agree with anyone saying he did it "for his career" or whatnot. He did it for his own reasons, and whatever you think of that, it wasn't to gain some advantage. It was way too big of a risk for that.

It was a long term play. He thinks the social conservatives, FP Republicans and business Republicans will unify behind him as a counterbalance to the white supremacist/paleo-conservative/alt-right Trump faction if and when it crashes and burns. The 59 was also artificially high because that's when he was the last hope and it looks more in line with the May number

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

2) He has this concept that the world was better before the 60s and everything just went to hell after that. Of course you would Mike. You were, what, twelve? Of course the world was better back then, you were a KID!

He's probably referring to Vatican 2.

• Options
    Well I mean 1) is just true so whatever

The rest of it does sound pretty wacky tho

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Man can you imagine if some damaging, disqualifying information somehow made it out of the Trump campaign? With their message discipline?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    moniker wrote: »
    oiNIzh1.png

He's probably referring to Vatican 2.

Incidentally also when the church stopped saying 1)

Edit and 3)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    oiNIzh1.png

Chuck Tingle has really toned down the cover shot of his books.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jeedan wrote: »

Doesent that mean they have to give the same time to Hillary?

Not on cable

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    OK, so a little googling around makes it clear that Michael Voris is a born again Catholic traditionalist who rejects modern reforms going back to Vatican 2 and was particularly angry about the existence of gay priests and later even angrier about Francis' softened stance on gays in the church.

He maintains a fiery no-true-Catholic stance against basically the entire church, he knows better damnit (note: this is not the sign of a good Catholic by any definition).

He's been gay his whole life, but some time ago became paranoid that his diocese was going to out him (which they almost assuredly would not have done, the church is really fucking good at keeping people's secrets and dirty laundry buried, it's like, one of the only things that you can count on with them) so he outed himself to his viewers but assured them that he's not a practicing gay anymore. Which is in accordance with Catholic rules. You can be gay, you just can't fuck dudes. Ironically, this is the exact same rule for priests too, they can be gay, they just aren't allowed to fuck dudes. Or little boys. As we have seen, celibacy is kinda problematic.

I guess the nicest thing I learned is that he at least isn't claiming to be an ex-gay.

So he's like one microgram better than the many evangelical versions of him floating around the internet.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    oiNIzh1.png

Oh WOW! I watch Michael Voris all the time on YouTube. This guy can be a case study is cognitive dissidence and projection. It's so amazing! For those who don't know, Mike here is the closest thing there is to a fire and brimstone "Evangelical Catholic". Just some of his stuff is so off the wall it never fails to surprise.

1) He steadfastly believes that the Catholic Church is the only "real" church and that all other Christian denominations are heretics
    . Not only this, he is under the opinion that all other Christians are actually Catholics but are just misinformed. On top of this, he says that when other Christians do things, such as vilify Homosexuality, it's not because they follow the true God, but because they just "happen to align with the Catholic church", and therefore good.

3) He uses military hyperbole (His YouTube channel is called "Church Militant") and tries to start evangelical "armies" His current project is some men's group that is supped to "assert male masculinity in the Church" and every time he shows a member in this group, you can see a closet that is tightly locked from the inside.

Seriously, just watch a few episodes of "The Vortex" on Youtube (The comments are all disabled, because... of course they are). Look down the giant maw of the beast. It's disgusting, but you come out knowing a little more about the mindset of these people. If anything he's at least articulate is his self-loathing and hatred.

He doesn't monetize his videos, he sells subscriptions to a streaming content network on his website. Free free the gawk without giving him any money.

Well, I mean .... that's kinda not unusual for a Catholic or most religions.

shryke on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    OK, so a little googling around makes it clear that Michael Voris is a born again Catholic traditionalist who rejects modern reforms going back to Vatican 2 and was particularly angry about the existence of gay priests and later even angrier about Francis' softened stance on gays in the church.

He maintains a fiery no-true-Catholic stance against basically the entire church, he knows better damnit (note: this is not the sign of a good Catholic by any definition).

He's been gay his whole life, but some time ago became paranoid that his diocese was going to out him (which they almost assuredly would not have done, the church is really fucking good at keeping people's secrets and dirty laundry buried, it's like, one of the only things that you can count on with them) so he outed himself to his viewers but assured them that he's not a practicing gay anymore. Which is in accordance with Catholic rules. You can be gay, you just can't fuck dudes. Ironically, this is the exact same rule for priests too, they can be gay, they just aren't allowed to fuck dudes. Or little boys. As we have seen, celibacy is kinda problematic.

I guess the nicest thing I learned is that he at least isn't claiming to be an ex-gay.

So he's like one microgram better than the many evangelical versions of him floating around the internet.

That produces so many tangential thoughts that I can't really formulate a better response than that I honestly pity him.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

I was quick scanning and parsed this as "where is Hillary sleeping?!"

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    is he doing the whole "people died while Hillary slept" thing again

*rolls eyes, slow jerk*

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

*rolls eyes, slow jerk*

Nah, this is "she's weak and tired and dying so needs to sleep a lot. I read it on the internet."

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »

*rolls eyes, slow jerk*

Nah, this is "she's weak and tired and dying so needs to sleep a lot. I read it on the internet."

"She is human and requires sleep and daily nourishment, unlike Trump."

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, it's not even 3AM!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

This is the genuinely most surprising thing from this election.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Since this is way off topic:
    One of the worst things about this Culture Wars publication (which my mom has been subscribed to since I was a kid) is that the writing is so damn scattered that it tends to be really difficult to figure out what they're getting at. As I told Strikor, it's like reading chapter 25 of someone's fanfiction. From what I can tell from scanning the article, despite the fact that they bring up that Michael Voris is homosexual for no reason, what they're criticizing him for his being too militant and too sure that he has the only answers. The entire article in fact is about Catholic TV personalities (Voris as the youtube personalit, and Mother Angelica who used to be on TV) who were/are too narcissistic. But it's far too rambling an article for me to read the whole thing.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Catholicism is a big base for immigrants from the Philippines to go all in on Trump. In many African American communities and Hispanic communities the homophobia and anti-choice (and anti-birth control) vibe is kind of scary. It always worries me a bit that we're one bad roll away from losing a voting population that is significant, but that I personally don't care about offending with social progress in the slightest.

It's going to be interesting times.

(Above in reference to Indian / Pakistani immigration being of benefit to social conservatives and the GOP while definitely being a type of political self-harming)

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    "You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed -- what the hell do you have to lose?" Trump asked the audience in an unscripted moment from a speech in which he otherwise stuck to his teleprompter.

Trump -- speaking to an overwhelmingly white audience that featured only a smattering of African-Americans and other minorities -- also promised that were he to run for re-election at the end of his first term, he would win 95% of the black vote.
    Such support would be a tall order for Trump -- a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows Clinton beating Trump 91%-1% among African-Americans.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/19/politics/donald-trump-african-american-voters/index.html

The man is delusional.

It's hilarious because he's talking exactly like a salesman, not a politician.

This discussion has been closed.