As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ReCore] Definitive Edition/Free Update on Aug 29th

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I was hoping they'd either say it was complete shit or genuinly great. I was on the fence before and I'm kinda on the fence still, maybe leaning towards no a bit more.

EDIT: Looking at the big list of reviews, there's definitely a lot of 6's and 7's. Really sounds like they needed to bake this one for another month before release. It being described as "buggy" is honestly the biggest turnoff for me.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/recore/critic-reviews

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i can see why the reviews would edge those on the fence away from a purchase. no doubt there will be more reviews and opinions over the next week or so, but i think this will be going on a lot of people's 'get it on sale' list.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I was hoping they'd either say it was complete shit or genuinly great. I was on the fence before and I'm kinda on the fence still, maybe leaning towards no a bit more.

EDIT: Looking at the big list of reviews, there's definitely a lot of 6's and 7's. Really sounds like they needed to bake this one for another month before release. It being described as "buggy" is honestly the biggest turnoff for me.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/recore/critic-reviews

Sounds like Mo Man's Sky syndrome score-wise (on console, not PC--the game isn't unplayable at launch).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Hmm, looks like I'll hold off on this until I see it on sale. I have enough keeping me busy right now anyway.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Assuming the bugs get patched within any reasonable timeframe, seems like it could be a sleeper hit for later. Dunno.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gameinformer posted some impressions. Person said they encountered some bugs, but didn't go into detail. Hopefully they're not too frequent or game breaking. Load times are apparently an issue, though. The person posting impressions said that it sometimes took up to two minutes to reload the game after dying.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    On PC or XBox? I mean neither is acceptable, but if something took anywhere approaching two minutes to load on my pure-SSD PC, I'd be angry, yeah.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    On PC or XBox? I mean neither is acceptable, but if something took anywhere approaching two minutes to load on my pure-SSD PC, I'd be angry, yeah.

well reviews seem to be split across both, probably leaning more towards the Xbox version. Polygon says playtime was split between both versions, and i assume the PCWorld review would be the PC version. load times might be more acceptable depending on your own PC set-up, but it does seem like they're going to be longer than acceptable no matter what. :(

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So... reviews seem to suggest Recore is a game that doesn't live up to inflated expectations? Bought a copy, will probably play it a few weeks or so from now as STO has really pulled me in. But yeah... IDK.

Thought this was a strange comment from Polygon's review that was posted already:
    There’s also a loot and crafting system of sorts, though the practical applications felt minimal in my 13 hours with the game. The implementation also feels somewhat contradictory. Snatching cores from enemies, which is presented as if it’s the sort of ideal, game-defining way of defeating them, rewards you with colored energy which can be used to upgrade the stats of your robot friends. But this yields no crafting components. Meanwhile, destroying an enemy outright gives less energy but does provide crafting components. It’s a bizarre, counterproductive dichotomy that doesn’t add anything to Recore other than frustration.

Why would this be counterproductive? What are the ratios? Are there other sources of parts?

The whole "grind all the points up" statement reminds me of Prince of Persia 2008 too. I really hope this game doesn't get killed by wait-for-sale, but eh. So it goes.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    the mentions of 'inflated expectations' seems weird to me because i'm not sure there has been any real expectations for the game beyond 'this look interesting, i really want to see how it turns out'. there certainly hasn't been any hype built up around it by the devs. it hasn't developed anywhere near the kind of cult following(that i know of) that No Man's Sky did. i get that it seems to have disappointed in some areas and that's always going to sting, but i don't know, i just don't see where the idea of 'inflated expectations' comes from.

maybe that's just me though.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure there were a ton of expectations for this? It's certainly not a No Man's Sky situation.

I think the only real expectation put on it (by the developers themselves) was the link to Metroid Prime...but reading some of these reviews, Metroid Prime had some of the same issues...but this is 2016, not 2002, and a lot has changed in game design since 2002. I wonder if that's some of it.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    the mentions of 'inflated expectations' seems weird to me because i'm not sure there has been any real expectations for the game beyond 'this look interesting, i really want to see how it turns out'. there certainly hasn't been any hype built up around it by the devs. it hasn't developed anywhere near the kind of cult following(that i know of) that No Man's Sky did. i get that it seems to have disappointed in some areas and that's always going to sting, but i don't know, i just don't see where the idea of 'inflated expectations' comes from.

maybe that's just me though.

Aye, it's definitely not on the scale of NMS. Few games are/will be. I imagine Molyneux is somewhat relieved that the next generation of games may have their own... Molyneux of sorts.

My usage of the phrase "inflated expectations" stems from the fact that I think most games are average, and for the most part are. There was some commentariat hype in places, along with rejections outright. Being linked to Inafune/Comcept at this point in time also doesn't help the perception of the game either imo.

Though there are other places comments I've read recently where people said they didn't hype or market the game at all... when, at least on my box dash and in other places I"ve seen standing ads for it and hte preorder combo bonus, so IDK.

• Options
    i wasn't just picking out the 'inflated expectation' line because of you, its something i've seen in a couple of reviews and it just struck me as odd. saying that, of course No Man's Sky is a bit of an extreme counter example, but that was kinda the point. there doesn't seem to be as much riding on ReCore in the way of fan expectation.

as for marketing, yeah the adds have been on the dash but that's hardly saying much. the trailer runs on youtube as an ad occasionally too but its far from a full on marketing blitz. there's no be features on games sites, no interviews with the devs as far as i've seen. not a whole lot beyond just saying 'hey, this game exists'.

• Options
    I think I've decided to wait on a patch here. I don't really need a third copy of Nuts and Bolts, and I was going for digital so no preorder discount either. Which is a bummer, as this game looked neat. I just want stop encouraging the release of buggy video games.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That's interesting that Gerstmann would like it, given how lukewarm he seemed on it overall over the length of its paltry marketing

That said, the most egregious thing about the game judging from its reviews seems to be some pretty bad technical issues and poorly-designed endgame, the former of which can hopefully be ironed out

• Options
    Haha... well, my original plan was to wait to see if there were any technical issues before buying the game. I convinced myself there probably wouldn't be any issues since it was a smaller non-AAA release, and preordered the game. Dangit... well, nothing I can do about it now. I'll fire it up when I get home and see if I can tolerate the load times. Hopefully it get's patched quick.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    yeah, hopefully what ever technical problems do exist get fixed. still seems like there's some out dated design work running throughout the game though. will have a better idea once i get my hands on it. oh well.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Well I'm confused and a bit annoyed. I preordered this [for PC] from Amazon. I finally got my key this morning (they wouldn't release it until 3AM my time). I plug it into my account on the Xbox site and it says I own it, shows it on my MS account just fine. If I go to the game's Windows store page, it says "You own this product"... but fuck all if I can find a download link anywhere. When I go to "my games" it shows ReCore for Xbox One and says "coming soon" under PC. I looked everywhere else I could think of before I ran out of time and had to leave for work, so I guess it won't be downloaded to play when I get home. :(

So either I was woefully misinformed and this isn't actually available yet for PC or I'm an idiot or the Microsoft store is whacked...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Well I'm confused and a bit annoyed. I preordered this [for PC] from Amazon. I finally got my key this morning (they wouldn't release it until 3AM my time). I plug it into my account on the Xbox site and it says I own it, shows it on my MS account just fine. If I go to the game's Windows store page, it says "You own this product"... but fuck all if I can find a download link anywhere. When I go to "my games" it shows ReCore for Xbox One and says "coming soon" under PC. I looked everywhere else I could think of before I ran out of time and had to leave for work, so I guess it won't be downloaded to play when I get home. :(

So either I was woefully misinformed and this isn't actually available yet for PC or I'm an idiot or the Microsoft store is whacked...

where are you? if your in Europe then the game doesn't release on either platform till Friday. if your in NA or Aus then it should be available on both today. maybe give it another go once you get home from work in that case.

EDIT: though even in Europe you should still be seeing an 'Install' button on the Windows Store page.

Wraith260 on
  • Options

where are you? if your in Europe then the game doesn't release on either platform till Friday. if your in NA or Aus then it should be available on both today. maybe give it another go once you get home from work in that case.

'Murica. Guess I'll hope it's there this evening. Just means I won't actually get to check it out until tomorrow night instead. Boooo.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    oh well, hopefully what ever problem you're having sorts itself out in the meantime. if not maybe check and see if Win10 needs any updates. could be that the Play Anywhere stuff needs a more recent version.

• Options
    7.3 from IGN in an unexpectedly positive review. Negatives seemed to be some inconvenient design choices like trekking all the way to a side mission, finding out you have the wrong bot with you(you can only have two at once), trekking all the way back to a waypoint to swap to the right bot, and then trekking all the way back to the side mission location. Another ding towards the game that I hadn't heard yet is that (on XBone) the game struggle to reach, and maintain a constant 30fps. Not sure how low it can dip, but I hope it isn't too bad... The reviewer did mention that the technical problems are there, but it didn't hurt the overall gameplay experience too much, so that gives me hope.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/y2Dk6kmec_s

see, now why could they have released that like a week ago? or maybe done it to coincide with the National Dog Day thing the Xbox UK twitter account had going?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, is this one of those games where it was cross-buy? I bought it on Xbox, do I have it on PC too?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, is this one of those games where it was cross-buy? I bought it on Xbox, do I have it on PC too?

Yep. One key for both platforms.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    yeah, this is the first of the Play Anywhere games, so as long as you bought it digitally then you own it on both Xbox One and Windows 10.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I like it so far. Working from home so I've been messing around with it.

Loading times are crazy long. It feels a bit unrefined. Reminds me a little bit of Lost Planet in some ways.

I don't understand how saving works. I mean I'm sure it auto saves at checkpoints, I just can't figure out where those checkpoints necessarily are.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Let's put it this way: it's not as buggy as Pac-Man Championship 2 on the PC which currently doesn't even work with an Xbox One controller due to calibration/Windows 10 driver issues.

Drez on
  • Options
    Listening to the Giant Bombcast, it sounds like the mechanics in this game are really neat, but the technical issues and grindy endgame ruin the experience.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    so, I saw the trailer for this earlier this year and thought it was an interesting idea. Fast forward to today and I had completely missed this game's launch announcement (was there really any marketing at all?). I've played about 2 hours so far, and I'm really liking it. I have an SSD on my xbone, so the load times aren't that bad. The combat seems pretty good so far, but I'm kind of wanting to see what variations start getting thrown around in the later levels. This game almost feels like Too Human from the 360, where the premise is there and we'll have to see how it plays out (by the way, I really liked Too Human and really wish they could have developed it further).

253J736.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    so, I saw the trailer for this earlier this year and thought it was an interesting idea. Fast forward to today and I had completely missed this game's launch announcement (was there really any marketing at all?). I've played about 2 hours so far, and I'm really liking it. I have an SSD on my xbone, so the load times aren't that bad. The combat seems pretty good so far, but I'm kind of wanting to see what variations start getting thrown around in the later levels. This game almost feels like Too Human from the 360, where the premise is there and we'll have to see how it plays out (by the way, I really liked Too Human and really wish they could have developed it further).

there really wasn't. at best, you could say it was minimal. case in point, here's Outside Xbox taking the piss out of the complete lack of marketing.

https://youtu.be/ajPH1VKai6M

• Options
    I'm rather surprised at the comments on that youtube video given she's wearing an "Insert Coin" shirt. Should I raise the bar?

• Options
    yeah, this is the first of the Play Anywhere games, so as long as you bought it digitally then you own it on both Xbox One and Windows 10.

Quantum Break was like this, but it predated the official "Play Anywhere" program, I guess?

• Options
    Drez wrote: »

Quantum Break was like this, but it predated the official "Play Anywhere" program, I guess?

That was only for preorders with Quantum Break, IIRC.

• Options
    I will say this: I'm very glad that there was a delay in the Collector's Edition. I looked up my preorder on Amazon this morning, realized that the game itself had dropped to $39.99 and that the Collector's Edition just included some stupid statues, while the preorder bonus contained Banjo Kazooie: Nuts 'n' Bolts, which I already owned through Rare Replay, and canceled that $162 shit mighty quick. I don't need more statues in my house.

I think the game is enjoyable enough to justify $40.

• Options
    yeah, you only got both versions of Quantum Break if you pre-ordered. from now on it'll be a standard feature on (nearly)all MS published Xbox titles.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So is the PC version for this running alright then? I'm thinking about giving it a shot in a few weeks when the WoWlust drops off a bit and I want something to poke my 1070 with a little.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    there's been mention of some bugs and poor load times, but nothing about them being specific to the PC version. seems some are having trouble getting it from the Windows Store though.

• Options
    PC version apparently loads quicker and looks better, but is still buggy.