As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    You're probably better off using Scald, Surf or Hydro Pump.

Water Shuriken is also Priority, which makes it a pretty different beast entirely. It's a special Priority move (unique in and of itself), and represents a pretty big boost over Aqua Jet (immune to intimidate, after STAB calcs its 90 BP instead of 60 BP, and can hit through substitutes/sturdy/etc.)

Festival Plaza's shortcomings are numerous and upsetting. This is the first time Pokemon has moved backwards in terms of player-to-player connectivity, and it hurts the game a lot.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    You're probably better off using Scald, Surf or Hydro Pump.

Water Shuriken is also Priority, which makes it a pretty different beast entirely. It's a special Priority move (unique in and of itself), and represents a pretty big boost over Aqua Jet (immune to intimidate, after STAB calcs its 90 BP instead of 60 BP, and can hit through substitutes/sturdy/etc.)

Festival Plaza's shortcomings are numerous and upsetting. This is the first time Pokemon has moved backwards in terms of player-to-player connectivity, and it hurts the game a lot.

Well, really, it's one shortcoming in particular. Just let me view my damned friends list.

And lurk online while not there, so I guess two shortcomings. Like, have it buzz me on my phone or something if someone requests a trade, since I can already go there from anywhere anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It does a really good job with local trades, but is completely terrible if you want to trade with specific people online. The quick link thing is great for trading between me and my wife's game, but terrible the first time you try to trade with someone in a different state. After you trade with them once though, you can add them to the VIP list and it works much better after that.

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I didn't have much trouble finding people on my friends list to trade with. You both say "hey, I'm online in the plaza" then you can see them on the list marked with "Friends List" or whatever on the right side. VIP 'em after you do your thing.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Are Beldum basically immune to pokeballs? I encountered one in the wild and spent an ever-increasing amount of effort trying to capture it, including getting it paralyzed with a tiny sliver of health. The Ultra Balls I threw at it didn't even twitch.

On a side note, I'm imagining Ghost-types preying on Beldum, completely bypassing its shell to suck out the energy within it.

If you don't care about nature or anything I've got a dozen Beldum eggs on hand.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Any time team skull or some random trainer uses Mean Look
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

Excuse the shitty mspaint edit :P

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    So does the fact the current global competition doesn't allow held items mean no Z moves? How odd to not people use the new signature toy of the games.

Will these battles be live against real people or against AI controlled teams that have been submitted by real people?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So does the fact the current global competition doesn't allow held items mean no Z moves? How odd to not people use the new signature toy of the games.

Will these battles be live against real people or against AI controlled teams that have been submitted by real people?

Z moves online probably cause huge headaches for them.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

Unless it's a ghost type :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAnGKduBdVc

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    What're is everyone using for hunter/trapper Pokemon? In the past I had used breloom since it learned false swipe and a number of sleep/paralysis effects. I've hit the point where I can't really be using my false swipe marowak any longer.

Also thanks @Vahraan !

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Right now I've just split the job up.

False Swipe on Lurantis, sleep powder on Butterfree.

Parasect can learn Spore and False Swipe but it has shit stats.

January I can bring up my Breloom and go back to easy mode.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Mine setup is split as well with (false swipe Mon) + magnezone for paralysis. Mostly because it's one of my higher level Pokemon from being on the story team.

• Options
    I'm only on island 3, but Snorlax with Yawn and Hold Back has done most of the catching work for me.

Actually that's a lie. Happy Day cash piles and Quick Balls have done most of the catching work for me because I am the lazy rich.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

That is seriously the worst fight in the game, to the point I actually think Pokemon Company needs to patch that... maybe give Gastly a different move that can hurt Snorlax or make Mean Look expire after so many turns...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    @ThePantsAssociation i have poppilos for days. although none were bred for competition or nature. it was just so that i could get the IV checker.

Thanks @WingedWeasel . Looks like someone traded for the Litten on GTS. If you happen to want an Adamant Litten, I've got a bunch.

• Options
    Am I correct t in that there is so way for your active party and the pelago to interact? I have to go to a PC first every time?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Am I correct t in that there is so way for your active party and the pelago to interact? I have to go to a PC first every time?

Yeah. Overall they are very inconsistent about what things let you interact with box pokemon and which use your party. It feels random as to which interactions and features do what.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

That is seriously the worst fight in the game, to the point I actually think Pokemon Company needs to patch that... maybe give Gastly a different move that can hurt Snorlax or make Mean Look expire after so many turns...

People could just stop being greedy gooses and switch out to a type that can actually kill a ghastly. If people are so greedy they need to get the extra 1-2k from the fight they deserve to be locked in imho.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

People could just stop being greedy gooses and switch out to a type that can actually kill a ghastly. If people are so greedy they need to get the extra 1-2k from the fight they deserve to be locked in imho.

you seem to be missing the point

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

Ghost can't hit normal, normal can't hit ghost, don't keep one in against the other. He can't meanlook you in if you switch to something that can hit him. This exists in pretty much all versions of Pokemon, i fail to see why it's suddenly an issue.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

Ghost can't hit normal, normal can't hit ghost, don't keep one in against the other. He can't meanlook you in if you switch to something that can hit him. This exists in pretty much all versions of Pokemon, i fail to see why it's suddenly an issue.

How exactly are you supposed to switch when you've been Mean Looked at and thus are not allowed to swap out?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Also the Munchlax had Metronome before it got Spited into losing all its PP.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

How exactly are you supposed to switch when you've been Mean Looked at and thus are not allowed to swap out?

You don't swap him in against the ghastly in the first place. If you do in an attempt to get a few extra pennies, that's on you if you get locked in. You can switch out before a mean look if you lead with munchlax. The only moves i know that will take priority over a switch is pursuit.

• Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

You don't swap him in against the ghastly in the first place. If you do in an attempt to get a few extra pennies, that's on you if you get locked in. You can switch out before a mean look if you lead with munchlax. The only moves i know that will take priority over a switch is pursuit.

He is the first pokemon in my party. Gastly uses mean look on the first turn while I am trying to happy hour. What you are saying is that I'm supposed to be an expert and automatically predict every single move Gastly could possibly have AND know what they all do ahead of time. That's insane.

• Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

He is the first pokemon in my party. Gastly uses mean look on the first turn while I am trying to happy hour. What you are saying is that I'm supposed to be an expert and automatically predict every single move Gastly could possibly have AND know what they all do ahead of time. That's insane.

Stop being greedy. Ghastly can have mean look. Granted it probably shouldn't have it that early in the game, but the best lessons learned are those you learn the hard way.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

Stop being greedy. Ghastly can have mean look. Granted it probably shouldn't have it that early in the game, but the best lessons learned are those you learn the hard way.

How the hell am I being greedy for using the move I have successfully used in every other trainer fight? How are new players, who don't even know what a Gastly is, supposed to know this can happen? This loop shouldn't exist, period. Gastly should either not have mean look in this fight, or have a damaging move that will kill Munchlax.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

How the hell am I being greedy for using the move I have successfully used in every other trainer fight? How are new players, who don't even know what a Gastly is, supposed to know this can happen? This loop shouldn't exist, period. Gastly should either not have mean look in this fight, or have a damaging move that will kill Munchlax.

I'll give you it shouldn't have it so early, but it certainly hammers the point home that normal cannot kill ghosts and vice-versa, learn from the lesson and move on, and know that a ghost can and WILL mean look you into battle if you feel like you just have to use happy hour every fight.

• Options
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

I'll give you it shouldn't have it so early, but it certainly hammers the point home that normal cannot kill ghosts and vice-versa, learn from the lesson and move on, and know that a ghost can and WILL mean look you into battle if you feel like you just have to use happy hour every fight.

This is literally the only point in the game designed for children this issue comes up :P The point could easily have been driven home by trying to attack Gastly with a normal move and seeing it didn't work, then switching out.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

You can justify it all you want, the situation is Bad Game Design. A player should not be stuck in a loop that can be neither won nor lost, forcing them to reset and lose progress. This is true no matter how "greedy" that player is. That is not a good or useful way to teach players a "lesson".

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    dude you are super objectively wrong here.

And we're fucking supposed to be greeddy, what the hell are you even talking about. It's a fucking random encounter.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also keep in mind this is really only an issue because of the munchlax people are given. Anyone who doesn't get one or use it at that point will have absolutely zero issues. As professor Oak once said "Welcome to the world of Pokémon."

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Houk wrote: »
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

You can justify it all you want, the situation is Bad Game Design. A player should not be stuck in a loop that can be neither won nor lost, forcing them to reset and lose progress. This is true no matter how "greedy" that player is. That is not a good or useful way to teach players a "lesson".

They've had the same "bad game design" since gen 2 then. Haven't heard any complaints till now.

dav3yb on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The game wasnt designed for munchlax being in your party that early hence the problem. Youll notice there arent many pure normals to that point.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WELP
    Anyway, I've got the whole dumb bunch of item-trade-evos to go through to fill up my dex, plus I need to borrow a Lunala, a Celesteela and a Cosmoen.

Would anyone around be so kind as to give me a hand with those chores? I'd be super grateful.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The game wasnt designed for munchlax being in your party that early hence the problem. Youll notice there arent many pure normals to that point.

I know you can find wild Munchlax's pretty early though, not sure if it's before or after this particular fight though.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

I know you can find wild Munchlax's pretty early though, not sure if it's before or after this particular fight though.

After, I believe, you need Tauros Ride to get to Munchlax.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

That fight isn't stuck in "neither won or lost". When pokemon run out of moves, they will use struggle and hurt themselves, eventually self-ko'ing. So whoever has the least pp would lose, in an extraordinarily tedious battle.
    Unless I'm mistaken?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    l5yc8r80by42.jpg

That fight isn't stuck in "neither won or lost". When pokemon run out of moves, they will use struggle and hurt themselves, eventually self-ko'ing. So whoever has the least pp would lose, in an extraordinarily tedious battle.
    Unless I'm mistaken?

This is correct, unless they've changed something about that this gen. Again, it's just forcing people into a time sink for the extra money they just couldn't go without. Or teaching those who just didn't know any better.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    A yungoos with only normal attacking moves (easy if you replace Pursuit at level up) would have the same issue. The problem is that Gastly has no attacking moves so the battle can't end vs a pokemon without non-normal attacks (which are the most common type of attack pokemon learn early game when this fight takes place).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You can't expect little kids to know that Gastly has Mean Look, then lock them in a fight ten times longer than any other fight until they struggle themselves to death

That's bad game design, pure and simple

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb