Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So do the pokes that people just give you have some things fixed about them? I'm at the part where i get a free aerodatyl, and was resetting for nature. Noticed it seems to always have pressure for its ability. Is there any chance to get a hidden nature at all from these in game gives?

http://serebii.net/sunmoon/ingametrades.shtml

Didn't know that was a page, but it doesn't help me either sadly. The aerodactyl you get isn't part of a trade, it's just handed to you. I know the nature can shift, but mainly wondering about abilities.

You should be able to get both normal abilities, but no hidden abilities.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So to be clear: if I've got Pokemon without a Hidden Ability, they won't have a chance of breeding anything with the Hidden Ability, right?

Also I've been breeding stuff I figure people will be jazzed about in Wonder Trade. I've got a page of Mimikyus, one of Mareanies, I think I'm going to do each of the starters, and then Feebas? Is there any other like 1% catch rate thing I'm missing?

Oh I guess a page of Dittos would make sense too.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    So to be clear: if I've got Pokemon without a Hidden Ability, they won't have a chance of breeding anything with the Hidden Ability, right?

If it's a female, there's a 60% chance of passing down the hidden ability when breeding normally. If it's male, that only works when breeding with Ditto.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

If it's a female, there's a 60% chance of passing down the hidden ability when breeding normally. If it's male, that only works when breeding with Ditto.

But you only find ones with the hidden ability in the wild, right? So if it's got a stock ability, no amount of breeding will make the hidden one show?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Hidden abilities only appear as the result of special circumstances. Friend safari in x/y, sos chains in SuMo, special event releases,etc.

You can pass down hidden abilities via breeding but you can manifest them in the first place.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I feel like they need to add an item to the game that gives a small chance of a pokes offspring to have a hidden ability, even if the parents don't.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    That would deprive them of the ability to introduce hype by releasing hidden ability pokemon for some random event.

This first competition is 50 BP as a reward. The next might be Alolan starters with hidden abilities.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Are Beldum basically immune to pokeballs? I encountered one in the wild and spent an ever-increasing amount of effort trying to capture it, including getting it paralyzed with a tiny sliver of health. The Ultra Balls I threw at it didn't even twitch.

On a side note, I'm imagining Ghost-types preying on Beldum, completely bypassing its shell to suck out the energy within it.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Are Beldum basically immune to pokeballs? I encountered one in the wild and spent an ever-increasing amount of effort trying to capture it, including getting it paralyzed with a tiny sliver of health. The Ultra Balls I threw at it didn't even twitch.

On a side note, I'm imagining Ghost-types preying on Beldum, completely bypassing its shell to suck out the energy within it.

Catch rate of 3, aka the lowest possible catch rate allowed. Just gotta keep trying.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

After a similar experience, I completely lucked out and got one over wonder trade.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Try timer balls or quick balls? Those may mitigate low catch rate.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    God dammit, I need one more Zygarde cell but I just can't find it. I'm starting to think the list on Serebii is wrong.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So what's a good ability for Ash-Greninja to have?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

If it doesn't have the ability Battle Bond then it's not an Ash-Greninja. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

If you need one, I have some Jolly Beldum eggs I can trade you when I get home.

• Options
    God dammit, I need one more Zygarde cell but I just can't find it. I'm starting to think the list on Serebii is wrong.

Something that you might not think would work, if you're able to trade for someone else's Zygarde you can disassemble it into 10 or 50 cells that'll stack with your own. I used a Zygarde 10% off the GTS to bump my cell count up to 50 as soon as I reached the lab and skipped dog form entirely.

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    It's my first time using GTS - and I'm finding the available trades a bit baffling.

I'm trying to trade a Litten for a Popplio. Swapping starter types seems like a pretty straight-forward and common kind of trade to me. But everyone on GTS trading a Poppilo is asking for ridiculous things like Type: Null and Cosmog. Why are so many people wasting their time with a trade request like that?

• Options
    It's my first time using GTS - and I'm finding the available trades a bit baffling.

I'm trying to trade a Litten for a Popplio. Swapping starter types seems like a pretty straight-forward and common kind of trade to me. But everyone on GTS trading a Poppilo is asking for ridiculous things like Type: Null and Cosmog. Why are so many people wasting their time with a trade request like that?

Reasonable trades are fulfilled quickly, so the ones left to browse are the dumb ones no-one's doing. Instead of browsing just deposit your guy, make a reasonable request, and come back tomorrow.

• Options

Something that you might not think would work, if you're able to trade for someone else's Zygarde you can disassemble it into 10 or 50 cells that'll stack with your own. I used a Zygarde 10% off the GTS to bump my cell count up to 50 as soon as I reached the lab and skipped dog form entirely.

Oh damn, that's awesome. I'll definitely try that.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Speaking of which, I was surprised you couldn't breed him at all, though less so in retrospect. I was gonna make some Croakies but the day care girl says the two pokemon basically hate each other and won't make an egg.

Edit: Just saw this on the WoW Reddit, but from the newest South Park episode, Ike's internet history:
    Aun1lUY.png

Hehe, Chinopokomon Sun and Moon :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Reasonable trades are fulfilled quickly, so the ones left to browse are the dumb ones no-one's doing. Instead of browsing just deposit your guy, make a reasonable request, and come back tomorrow in five minutes.
    Fixed that for you. At least for common trades like starters and version specific pokemon.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular

Reasonable trades are fulfilled quickly, so the ones left to browse are the dumb ones no-one's doing. Instead of browsing just deposit your guy, make a reasonable request, and come back tomorrow in five minutes.
    Fixed that for you. At least for common trades like starters and version specific pokemon.

Huh. Poor Litten has been deposited for at least 12 hours. I'm not asking for any particular gender or level either.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Bear in mind that you can also filter out anyone asking for a unique/legendary. Not sure if the starters run afoul of that though.

• Options

Huh. Poor Litten has been deposited for at least 12 hours. I'm not asking for any particular gender or level either.

Honestly I think some trades get lost somehow. I put up a vulpix for a sandshrew. Any sandshrew, I didn't care. No bites for what is essentially an exactly even trade. I managed to find a sandshrew looking for a vulpix first, but didn't bother to take mine down.. still hasn't been traded.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    "Heahea City" being "Kantai City" in the japanese stands out as an exception. For example, "Hau'oli City" is "Hau'oli City".
    Some of the NPCs mention that Heahea is especially influenced by Kanto and Johto, so maybe the hawaiian conformity doesn't fit.

• Options

Hmm. Generally they fly off the shelves if you're not asking for a legendary. I have read that some people have had issues with trades not being displayed.

I suppose it could also be the overall terribleness of the friend festival scaring people away from online services compared to xy/oras

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    @ThePantsAssociation i have poppilos for days. although none were bred for competition or nature. it was just so that i could get the IV checker.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Speaking of unreasonable GTS trades, a friend of mine has found that some people really do go for them and has snagged a few legendaries for more common Pokémon.

• Options

Dammit, I meant nature.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Dammit, I meant nature.

Smogon recommends Jolly for its top tier Greninja, but given that Ash-Greninja's main ability ties in very specifically to Water Shuriken which has been changed to be special, he should probably be Timid.

Ash-Greninja actually seems...not that good. Water Shuriken going from 15 power to 20, and hitting a guaranteed 3 times instead of 2-5? So it's a little stronger but now locked into the low end of hits? I dunno.

EDIT: If you intend to lean heavily on Water Shuriken, you may want to make him Modest instead, given that it always hits first so you don't necessarily need even more speed.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Why does everyone say the Festival is so terrible?

I guess I didn't have a lot of experience with the previous versions, but it seems pretty easy to select the Festival in the bottom screen and then access whatever trade system from there

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

Dammit, I meant nature.

Smogon recommends Jolly for its top tier Greninja, but given that Ash-Greninja's main ability ties in very specifically to Water Shuriken which has been changed to be special, he should probably be Timid.

Ash-Greninja actually seems...not that good. Water Shuriken going from 15 power to 20, and hitting a guaranteed 3 times instead of 2-5? So it's a little stronger but now locked into the low end of hits? I dunno.

EDIT: If you intend to lean heavily on Water Shuriken, you may want to make him Modest instead, given that it always hits first so you don't necessarily need even more speed.

Well, 3 hits with a 20 power Shuriken is equivalent to 4 hits with a 15 power one. Plus, Greninja's attack stats increase pretty considerably when he transforms.

• Options
    You're probably better off using Scald, Surf or Hydro Pump.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Well, 3 hits with a 20 power Shuriken is equivalent to 4 hits with a 15 power one. Plus, Greninja's attack stats increase pretty considerably when he transforms.

Bulbapedia doesn't seem to think his stats increase when he transforms, it's literally just Water Shuriken I guess.
    Why does everyone say the Festival is so terrible?

I guess I didn't have a lot of experience with the previous versions, but it seems pretty easy to select the Festival in the bottom screen and then access whatever trade system from there

In XY/ORAS, the bottom screen looked like this:

4wxucJK.png?1

- You could click the internet button to connect and stay connected until you shut off the system or put it to sleep, no need to reconnect every time you want to do anything online
    - Immediacy, it was always there on the bottom screen, no loading into a separate world space, just there as you played
    - Simple list of friends, people you'd recently interacted with, and random people who were also playing, no need to physically walk around to find a specific person
    - Immediately see when a friend got online to do anything with them, no ambiguity, no confusion
    - O-Powers were awesome buffs you could hand out to anyone, for fun, or a way to thank someone for a trade
    - Simple features like "nice!" just to be nice and provide that little bit of interaction
    - In general it made the game come alive as you were playing it, and felt almost MMO-lite with all kinds of passerby handing out buffs and challenging to battles and such

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I spent more time on Join Avenue than I should have, so Festival Plaza seems fine. But I've only seen a player from my friends-list once.

Bulbapedia does seem to think that Ash-Greninja's stats are higher. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Greninja_(Pokémon)#Ash-Greninja

• Options

Bulbapedia doesn't seem to think his stats increase when he transforms, it's literally just Water Shuriken I guess.

No, its stats do increase.

http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/658.shtml

• Options
    In xy/oras you could keep tabs on the online activity while you were doing other things like breeding pokemon or traversing the world.

In sun/moon you need to stop everything that you're doing if you want to have any sort of online interaction whatsoever.

Once I'm in the festival, 99% of the individuals that I try to interact with fail because they've already left.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

No, its stats do increase.

http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/658.shtml

Yeah, its attack and Sp. Attack base stats increase by 50 points each, and its speed by 10. It's basically a Mega Evolution, but slightly stronger and doesn't take up a mega evo slot.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Festival sucks I hate it so much.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I am not a big fan of the festival plaza. I didn't like X/Y's interface at all, but I hate how clunky Wonder Trade is in Sun & Moon now.